Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pocketing

I'm not arguing about solo or in team or team make up or what is more efficient way to level at specific points in your characters growth.

The fact is that for those factors being equal, it's faster to OST (and we are talking exclusively about hecklers here because you can't OST spirits). If it's not, you simply aren't doing it right with your OSTer. There are efficiencies gained from not having to kite OR pull your own hecklers and nothing can offset those efficiencies if you choose to kite. Also, the OST has no impact on the amount of XP you get per heckler, so I don't understand what you are referring to when you say you need 3-5x more hecklers to ding with a pocket as opposed to kiting. That doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Obtena; Feb 22nd, 2012 at 02:57:46.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Also, the OST has no impact on the amount of XP you get per heckler, so I don't understand what you are referring to when you say you need 3-5x more hecklers to ding with a pocket as opposed to kiting. That doesn't make sense.
    The team make up is the difference. A team of 6 splits your xp per kill. Then xp is also divided by the actual toon lvl with the highest lvl toon in team gettin highest share of xp per kill. So instead of gettin capped xp per heckler kill, you have to split xp amongst the team and that made it so that you had to have about 3 heckler kills to equal 1 capped solo heckler kill.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Grudge match! Solo NT ("OST Nuker") vs. Solo NT ("Free Kiter"). Behind the gym after 5th period. No knives.

Who has a stopwatch?
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Grudge match! Solo NT ("OST Nuker") vs. Solo NT ("Free Kiter"). Behind the gym after 5th period. No knives.

Who has a stopwatch?
    Speaking of which, where are all the schools n gyms in rubika? surely there are children and people working out? Or am i just blind to these things
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    The team make up is the difference.
    I already mentioned that those factors being equal, OST is better. Obviously team makeup affects XP ... in ANY situation, so it much be fixed if you want to make claims about what is better.

I already mentioned that those factors being equal, OST is better. Obviously team makeup affects XP ... in ANY situation, so it much be fixed if you want to make claims about what is better.
    It's impossible to equal because now we are not talking about the same thing anymore. I'm talking about SOLO kiting hecks vs OST hecks with a team. From my experience (220 NT) I ALWAYS-ALWAYS-ALWAYS gained faster/more xp SOLO kiting hecks than in a team with OST in elysium. Was the OST "easier" sure, but not faster. If you can kite 1 heck and not get hit you can kite 100 and not get hit.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

It's impossible to equal because now we are not talking about the same thing anymore.
    Exactly, your trying to compare two completely different methods with factors that favour one vs. the other to make your case. My statement is pretty simple. OST is faster than kiting for other factors being equal.

If you can kite 1 heck and not get hit you can kite 100 and not get hit.
    So what? The same is true for OST and you aren't wasting time running around and collecting your own hecklers.
    Last edited by Obtena; Feb 23rd, 2012 at 04:49:39.

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    Whats funny, to me at least, is that OSTing at kite hill is much slower than an NT kiting by themselves; I would throw a guess out there that "real" kiting is 25-50% faster; at least.
    This was the original statement, that I agree with. Keep in mind we are talking about SOLO vs teamed.

Kiting is definitely not faster than OSTing because in Kiting, you interrupt nuking with running and in OSTing you don't. I don't even get how anyone could possibly believe that.
    Still here it is my understanding you are talking about SOLO vs teamed NT.

Kiting is faster for a SOLO NT because he is not sharing xp with 5 team mates. If your NT is teamed OST is faster because you can chain cast aoe's and don't have to worry about anything else.
    Again reference to SOLO vs teamed.

Exactly, your trying to compare two completely different methods with factors that favour one vs. the other to make your case. My statement is pretty simple. OST is faster than kiting for other factors being equal.

Kiting is not faster than OST, ever.
    Here is where we have a disconnect. I would have to say again somewhere I think you are trying to use absolutes. I clearly state in team situation OST is faster, but for a SOLO NT kiting is faster. Having done my fair share of kiting and OST with my 2 NT's (220 and 150) I know factually the fastest ways to gain xp. No guessing needed.
    In fact I can even show you in game with an easy benchmark test. I can kite 10 hecks, screenshot the xp gained. Then repeat with team of 6 and you can OST and screenshot the xp gained. In the team setting it will be lower xp for the NT, and it will be very easy math to calculate how much less (on avg about 1/3). Which means it would take about 3x as many pulls with OST to gain same amount of xp for the NT kiting SOLO.
    I'm not sure if maybe you were not fully understanding what I was tryin to say but hopefully this clarifies it.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Rotflmao.....so me and a couple buddies went out last night to garner real word numbers, I had the idea that I could put an end to the discussion once and for all., and give the factual numbers that were earlier stated to be missing. After pulling and killing the full area, east, west, SH, and JC, and arriving with my hecks half dead already from boil blood, confident that at the very least, the half dead state would assure me of my truth, the OST's required three pulls, and brought them all back with less than a nukes worth of life off them, it became evident that neither way is any faster at all. The limiting factor is spawn rate. Both ways cleared the field faster than they respawned. So, it doesn't matter either way, unless there were more hecks to pull, there is no difference.
    Elandor 220 Sol Doc
    TheMister 201 Opi Adv
    Marlboro. 220 Opi. trd
    Smokeey. 220. Atr Sol
    SimBusiness 214. Opi Crat
    Skitzee 150 Sol Fxr
    Venom01 200 Sol Agnt
    Capricuus. 214. Nm. Eng
    Diammond. 176. Nm. Nt

Quote Originally Posted by ElandorOo View Post
    The limiting factor is spawn rate. Both ways cleared the field faster than they respawned. So, it doesn't matter either way, unless there were more hecks to pull, there is no difference.
    Spawn timer starts on mob death, so the faster you kill hecks the sooner they spawn.

Therefore even though both methods get all hecks, whoever kills them quicker gets more hecks over time

I'm not joining the argument about which method is faster though...
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

In the team setting it will be lower xp for the NT, and it will be very easy math to calculate how much less (on avg about 1/3). Which means it would take about 3x as many pulls with OST to gain same amount of xp for the NT kiting SOLO.
    Hm, wouldn't it be 1.5x as many pulls ?
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Manicmouse View Post
    Spawn timer starts on mob death, so the faster you kill hecks the sooner they spawn.

Therefore even though both methods get all hecks, whoever kills them quicker gets more hecks over time
    i.e. OST > kiting.

By that logic, free kiting wins on the basis of larger pulls with more life gone from them before nuking by boil blood.
    Elandor 220 Sol Doc
    TheMister 201 Opi Adv
    Marlboro. 220 Opi. trd
    Smokeey. 220. Atr Sol
    Skitzee 150 Sol Fxr
    Venom01 200 Sol Agnt
    Capricuus. 214. Nm. Eng
    Diammond. 176. Nm. Nt

And even if you somehow found a tank that could take as many beating on him, since the nukes are the same, free kiting wins by applying damage during the gathering, while OST's nt cannot start doing damage till they get there.
    Elandor 220 Sol Doc
    TheMister 201 Opi Adv
    Marlboro. 220 Opi. trd
    Smokeey. 220. Atr Sol
    Skitzee 150 Sol Fxr
    Venom01 200 Sol Agnt
    Capricuus. 214. Nm. Eng
    Diammond. 176. Nm. Nt

This was the original statement, that I agree with. Keep in mind we are talking about SOLO vs teamed.
    Actually the quote can be interpreted in two way: The way you interpreted or the obtena interpreted. "alone" meaning without an OST, not without a team.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    Hm, wouldn't it be 1.5x as many pulls ?
    Well if my math is correct, 1/3 = 33.3% of 100%. So it would be 3x 33.3 = 99.9%. 1.5x would only be 49.95%.

Quote Originally Posted by ElandorOo View Post
    And even if you somehow found a tank that could take as many beating on him, since the nukes are the same, free kiting wins by applying damage during the gathering, while OST's nt cannot start doing damage till they get there.
    I didnt even think about that fact but a skilled NT probably could pull the entire zone and kite it. No way any enfo could survive that. Not sure if i'm talking about the same thing as Obtena, my point is that xp gains for an NT are faster when he/she kites SOLO vs being teamed and having an OST.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Hey look its this thread again.
    Nokeeper. 220/30/80 Godfather. Equip: http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=161560
    Cerumen. 220/30/70 Healpole.
    Battlesuit. 219/30/xx PewPew.
    + Alt army.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234