Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Farmers, and farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigister View Post
    The reason i'm pissed is not because those issues affect me directly, <snip> go ahead and do the thing you consider it fun to do, i don't care if you have fun or not doing it, just don't call it playing the game, it's not playing.

I can guarantee you that the fun i once had in this game you will never get the chance to experience.
    Again, your way of playing isn't for everyone. You can't make people play your way. By your logic I can say you will never get the chance to experience "actually playing" AO because I know you have NEVER had to lvl a froob up to lvl 200 before notum wars and shadowlands. Well maybe you should be "forced" to. So that I can say you are "properly" playing AO now. Until you lvl up a froob to 200 you aren't actually "playing" AO.
    Doesn't that sound silly? Why would anyone do that when they can do daily missions/quests/dojas and get better xp in shadowlands? Same token why would anyone grind xp running up and down the brink when their goal is to get to end game and there are easier faster ways to do it?
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by AyyRawn View Post
    Just to state again, what I wanted to clarify is that WoW doesn't go lax on grinding, just as AO doesn't. The difference is that AO requires Much more because it has you grind for armor and money at certain points while leveling, lest you forego these opportunities, and then you're just left with a bad situation.
    No where in my post did I say that WoW didn't have grind. It does have grind, I've played it. It does NOT have the same level of grind as AO to get a comparable set of gear as you level up, however. The only reason I even bothered to respond to your post is that you quote a very small part of what I had to say and your response to said statement didn't make sense to me. Then you further complicated the situation by saying that I came off as ignorant when you're actually arguing a point that I did not even make in my post. My post was talking about the new player experience and just being able to level.. you started on about trinkets and what top tier players expect... those 2 things are not related.

Hate to harp on anything but calling me ignorant was out of line when you apparently didn't grasp my point.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Hate to harp on anything but calling me ignorant was out of line when you apparently didn't grasp my point.
    Well then I'm sorry for throwing my two cents out there on the general situation regarding AO's identity and any confusion that may exist at all. Don't think that I'm going tunnel vision on your posts though, I'm simply snipping the most relevant parts out to save space, of course I'm reading the entire post so as to avoid any ignorance on My part. Also my statement wasn't intended to be a direct attack upon you, I was simply saying that the action of stating what you stated is seemingly ignorant, mostly because you only provided further knowledge after the fact. Some further clarity would help to avoid this.
    Otaku - Teh Main!!! - 220 Fixer (Needs money)
    Dochelm - Teh Healer!!! - Doctor (WTB ADO HECK TEAM PST)
    Nikkiibenz - Teh Pr0nstar!!! - Soldier (Bein' sexy)
    Notyourtank - Teh TotW Beast!!! - Keeper (Needs moar money)
    ~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    I see a slight problem with people wearing Xan armor on top of their Xan implants and their Xan belt and Xan NCUs while toting around their Xan weapon(s)...

Well then I'm sorry for throwing my two cents out there on the general situation regarding AO's identity and any confusion that may exist at all. Don't think that I'm going tunnel vision on your posts though, I'm simply snipping the most relevant parts out to save space, of course I'm reading the entire post so as to avoid any ignorance on My part. Also my statement wasn't intended to be a direct attack upon you, I was simply saying that the action of stating what you stated is seemingly ignorant, mostly because you only provided further knowledge after the fact. Some further clarity would help to avoid this.
    Actually, the problem is that you read something into my post that I didn't say. Me saying "games like WoW" in your head had some sort of negative connotation whereas I meant it simply as an example of a modern game. It isn't my fault that you jumped to the worst possible conclusion from reading a very simple post about the experience of someone new to AO (that has played games that are structured similar to WoW). I think the overwhelming majority of people that read my post got what I was saying and that's why, as you even stated in your post, no one had really commented on it one way or the other. It wasn't some negative stereotype or even a false statement... I actually just stated the obvious. And when you say that I sound ignorant.. it is a direct attack on me.. as it is me that you're speaking about. I thnk when someone makes those types of statements they should make sure they are clear. It only takes 2 seconds to say "can you clarify what you meant by xyz" rather than throwing around insults.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 5th, 2012 at 15:48:55.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Again, your way of playing isn't for everyone. You can't make people play your way. By your logic I can say you will never get the chance to experience "actually playing" AO because I know you have NEVER had to lvl a froob up to lvl 200 before notum wars and shadowlands. Well maybe you should be "forced" to. So that I can say you are "properly" playing AO now. Until you lvl up a froob to 200 you aren't actually "playing" AO.
    Doesn't that sound silly? Why would anyone do that when they can do daily missions/quests/dojas and get better xp in shadowlands? Same token why would anyone grind xp running up and down the brink when their goal is to get to end game and there are easier faster ways to do it?
    Did you actually read what i wrote? Iīm not saying it was fun to run down the brink, im not saying it was fun to permanentrly lose ALL the XP gained when i died and forgot to save.

Iīm saying that even tho we HAD to do those things, because there was nothing else to do, we could make our way arround it and have some fun WHILE doing those things.

And considering you havenīt read at all what i wrote, iīll put in another way. Even tho this game has SOME competent people working on the dev team, none of them are able to create content to actually suck a new player into the game like we were at one point when we started playing.

I remember to this day the exact moment when this game sucked me in, we had formed a dyna hunt group and spent a whole day running arround RK killing everything we could find. We werenīt lvl 200, we sucked at the game, we didnīt care to reach endgame like a madmen to look cool to our friends, we just wanted to play the game.

Now, if a new guy comes by, he wonīt have the same feeling, and itīs that feeling that will suck people into activating a paying account, itīs that feeling that could populate this game again and make it fun to play once more.

And what iīm trying to explain is this... even tho itīs an option for you and you like it, the GENERAL, or, MOST PEOPLE, like to actually get to know the game, play something as it is intended to do, not by griding, not by farming but by socializing, wich is the majos aspect of any MMO.

And this is what FC fails to deliver, by giving us content that can be done while tripple logged, or not creating new content that creates the socializing feeling, to pull new people into actually liking the game.

I donīt care about you oldplayers, you are already sucked into the game, i care about new people to revitalize this game.

You can keep your hecklers, aslong as FC give alternatives... i don~t givaf

Domīt even bother answering, iīm tired of this topic.

Also my statement wasn't intended to be a direct attack upon you, I was simply saying that the action of stating what you stated is seemingly ignorant.
    hahahaha

"Fat girls are uglyy! Oh, except you my darling!"
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

And considering you havenīt read at all what i wrote, iīll put in another way. Even tho this game has SOME competent people working on the dev team, none of them are able to create content to actually suck a new player into the game like we were at one point when we started playing.
    The content is the same... if it sucked you in it should suck in new players.

Now, if a new guy comes by, he wonīt have the same feeling, and itīs that feeling that will suck people into activating a paying account, itīs that feeling that could populate this game again and make it fun to play once more..
    This is a symptom of players, not the game. You can't blame the game because you surround yourself with negative thoughts and people who think negatively about game aspects.

And what iīm trying to explain is this... even tho itīs an option for you and you like it, the GENERAL, or, MOST PEOPLE, like to actually get to know the game, play something as it is intended to do, not by griding, not by farming but by socializing, wich is the majos aspect of any MMO..
    Funniest thing I read all the time when people attempt to justify THEIR PERSONAL OPINION by saying most people or everyone agrees with them. What you should say is most people you play with.

And this is what FC fails to deliver, by giving us content that can be done while tripple logged, or not creating new content that creates the socializing feeling, to pull new people into actually liking the game..
    Again a symptom of players not the game. If someone is good enough to run multiple characters better than another player can run one, of course they will just do things themself.

Domīt even bother answering, iīm tired of this topic.
    You can't quote someone and not expect a response.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Fanboy Post incoming

Even tho this game has SOME competent people working on the dev team, none of them are able to create content to actually suck a new player into the game like we were at one point when we started playing.
    I'm not saying that you specifically called some of the devs imcompetent.

There are so many factors that come into play, that you CANNOT label the devs "incompetent". I'm not saying "Oh, theyre trying their hardest waaah waaaah". No. They probably arent, but that doesn't even matter. We are talking about an ooold game, the first of its kind. I wasn't old enough to really have a grasp on the MMO market (I was like 9 when AO came out, and it was still mostly unknown), but around AOs release I was playing another MMO.

Let me tell you, asheron's call was the coolest thing ever. Its skill and guild system I absolutely adored, i've tried getting back into it recently. Everything that I loved is still there, but it seems to have lost it's luster.

Then WoW came out, and it really (this is from my understanding, again, young) revolutionized how MMOs could be done. It ended up setting a template for how MMOs should be. When WoW was released, the devs didn't try to shift the template, and the players mostly didnt want it changed either (or they just played WoW if they liked it so much). So the devs, saving time although perhaps losing potential profits, kept AO unique.

Guess what? AO is still pretty unique. But its hard, mostly because the system is unfamiliar. But the difficulty goes down to the implementation of the game as well. Nowadays we can look at items in MMOs and think "ahh, this is probably the best way to implement items". The way AO is programmed is different, and more flawed than other MMOs (I'm somewhat speculating, of course).

So you try working with an outdated design, you try pleasing players who want this game to be standardized AND unique, you try pleasing customers that dont know what they want, but fight every change. The problem is not the devs, its the customers, really. "customer's always right!"? some of the most active forum posters dont even play AO.

tl;dr : it's much easier to bash FC then to actually point out the problem specifically, and create a solution that does not in turn create other problems. Get over yourselves.
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    hahahaha

"Fat girls are uglyy! Oh, except you my darling!"
    ...Yeah that doesn't relate to what I said at all.
    ~~~~~~
    I see a slight problem with people wearing Xan armor on top of their Xan implants and their Xan belt and Xan NCUs while toting around their Xan weapon(s)...

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Actually, the problem is that you read something into my post that I didn't say. Me saying "games like WoW" in your head had some sort of negative connotation whereas I meant it simply as an example of a modern game. It isn't my fault that you jumped to the worst possible conclusion from reading a very simple post about the experience of someone new to AO (that has played games that are structured similar to WoW). I think the overwhelming majority of people that read my post got what I was saying and that's why, as you even stated in your post, no one had really commented on it one way or the other. It wasn't some negative stereotype or even a false statement... I actually just stated the obvious. And when you say that I sound ignorant.. it is a direct attack on me.. as it is me that you're speaking about. I thnk when someone makes those types of statements they should make sure they are clear. It only takes 2 seconds to say "can you clarify what you meant by xyz" rather than throwing around insults.
    Whatever the situation is, can we just stay on topic with this please?

Alright, the main point I was trying to make out of that mess was that the general structure of these games is very cookie cutter and boring, we all know that, and AO shouldn't have to resort to using that to have any chances of surviving in this current climate. Despite that, it may have to take certain parts of the structure and make them it's own. Like I said before, the game will really only appeal to a certain amount of players if most of the mechanics are kept the same. New players coming from this recent generation of MMOs would be pulled into the rest of the game through the means that other games use. The problem with the other games it that after all the fun of the ease-in process, there's not much new or interesting content to keep somebody's attention, it's just more of the same. AO has the capacity to hold people's attention because it can have content that will do just that. I know it may sound a lot like I'm suggesting we pull the same act as the other games and give into the "established system", technically I am saying that, but I'm not saying we take the thing in it's entirety.

tl;dr: Take the ease-in from other games, adjust it to AO standards, get new players interested in the deeper parts of AO much more effectively, profit.
    ~~~~~~

...Yeah that doesn't relate to what I said at all.
    Called an analogy. You insulted Jill when you were seemingly apologizing.

"I didn't mean that you were ignorant, just that what you DID was."

"You're not ugly, its just your horrible face"

"I don't think you're a bad person because your black, just because you're not white"

(last two are simply similar sentences to what you said, i'm not saying calling jill ignorant was the same as being racist or calling someone ugly, it was just the method in the way you "apologized" or rather, reexplained)

There must be some psychological term for this kind of thing, people do it all the time.
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    Called an analogy. You insulted Jill when you were seemingly apologizing.

"I didn't mean that you were ignorant, just that what you DID was."

"You're not ugly, its just your horrible face"

"I don't think you're a bad person because your black, just because you're not white"

(last two are simply similar sentences to what you said, i'm not saying calling jill ignorant was the same as being racist or calling someone ugly, it was just the method in the way you "apologized" or rather, reexplained)

There must be some psychological term for this kind of thing, people do it all the time.
    I know, that was just a terrible analogy :P

^Those make much more sense.
    ~~~~~~

Personally i find that the more u can do something with auto play bots, the more of a boring grind it is. But good content isnt always like mind-food, that once consumed the fun is gone. Sure u need some cool intro to make people give AO a try. But its what players themselfes make of it together is what keeps people playing AO. Thats the whole reason why theres a difference between movies/books/songs and computergames. Chess is merely a plate with some pieces of wood and some rules, but the fun comes from the "game". Same with the old classic board games, Eve online and minecraft. Anarchy online also has unique "things" like that, twinking and teamwork. Would be cool if player were able to design thier own instanced apartments/houses including uploading a background panoramic view picture. And with the gms shop/npc in it. It can even be as basic as as a 3D grid of blocks and the player determining if its a wall/floor/slope/corner, including being able to pick what textures surfaces have, insert coordinates for lights/sun/plants, and light effects would look cool with new engine. Player designed cities would look awesome too. That kinda stuff is the essence of rpg, and the reason they exist.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456