Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Item Shop Discussion Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    The whole selling time concept is one that I have some issue with as a player that won't "buy time" from the item shop.

When I play a game, it is because I want to experience the content, progress myself through the storyline and improve my character for any combo of PvE/PvP experiences.

From the perspective of a primarily PvP player, I'd say selling time is great if it cuts out hours and hours needed to do PvM activities so that they can get to their preferred activity. The issue i see with this, as someone that spends 97% of their time engaging in PvE, is that as a PvE player I'll lose people to play with.

Anything that is put into the item shop that means that people don't do the content (or do less of it) that I'll have to do on my toons (since I'm not going to 'buy' my way through the game.. regardless of my RL financial resources) is a negative for me as a player. It isn't going to encourage me to do as the Romans.. but instead discourage me from playing the game (as if any of us really needs more discouragement at this point).

I know some disagree (I can see in this thread) but I wanted to state my personal viewpoint on the situation.
    Once you get your 5th or 6th 220 and gear it up, you realize how time consuming and what a pain it is. Eventually you lose interest in the story line and no longer care about the experience of leveling up which takes no time at all to go from 1 to 220.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlonel View Post
    Once you get your 5th or 6th 220 and gear it up, you realize how time consuming and what a pain it is. Eventually you lose interest in the story line and no longer care about the experience of leveling up which takes no time at all to go from 1 to 220.
    You say this as if you're not quoting someone that has nine (9) 220 toons, 3 other TL7's and a myriad of others toons TL 3-6.

Please don't tell me what I don't realize or how I should feel about my game experience. I'm perfectly capable of expressing my thoughts in writing.

Suggestion: Replace the 'you''s with 'I''s and maybe your comment would make sense to me.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

You say this as if you're not quoting someone that has nine (9) 220 toons, 3 other TL7's and a myriad of others toons TL 3-6.

Please don't tell me what I don't realize or how I should feel about my game experience. I'm perfectly capable of expressing my thoughts in writing.

Suggestion: Replace the 'you''s with 'I''s and maybe your comment would make sense to me.
    If you read it YOU will realize that it is a general statement not directed towards you specifically. No need to get all mad.

If you read it YOU will realize that it is a general statement not directed towards you specifically. No need to get all mad.
    But that is assuming your general statement (and thus opinion) applies to everyone. YOU don't want to farm stuff/don't have the time, YOU don't find levelling a challenge anymore. Okay, all fine, but that's not going to be solved by selling 'time for money' and it will only insult the playerbase that can't/doesn't want to use the item store.

The thing is, everyone plays this game for different reasons and has different methods to get there. Personally I like PvP and I eschew levelling (though I enjoy the occasional raid), also I like to play the AO market. Hence, when I need something, I just hire people to powerlevel me and/or to buy the lootrights for whatever the hell I need.

Enter person B from my org, a froob who has multiple 200's, has never used the itemstore but still has lots of fun doing so. Said person is exceedingly wealthy for a froob and has worked really really hard to get there.

The thing is, selling 'time for money' will disadvantage both these people, since others can get to the same point by a simple swipe of the creditcard. Now, if this is fair I'm not going to discuss again as it's pointless, but it DOES diminish the 'accomplishment' greatly. I spent multiple years getting my current amount of credits, someone else can just buy token packs and sell them for 450m. While I didn't do that, my current amount of credits is suddenly less of an accomplishment because I could as well just have bought token packs.

Someone who has multiple 220's to their name... I respect that, I personally won't ever get another 220 as I *hate* the Inf grind with a passion, I'll just stick to making twinks. The guy I know with 9-10 220's to their name and multiple respected twinks.. yeah, that's an accomplishment. If FC were to indroduce 'buy 1000 points, get a char to 195!' (which was on their planned list fyi), yeah, that greatly diminishes that guy's accomplishments.

Not only that, enter person C, a casual PvP'er like me who decides to make a nice low-level twink like I have. They want to do six-slotter, but, alas. They didn't get the DB helm nor can they afford a Pioneer Backpack.. so they miss out on the Tutoring. Sorry, no sixslotter for you because you didn't spend 60$ on FC when that offer was available. This takes it one step further: it makes it that you can't accomplish a certain thing without spending RL money.

The point I'm trying to make is that for the grand majority of the players, the game is about accomplishments.. I feel really good about having multiple billions to my name and I've worked hard to get to that point. I have some nice twinks that cost me a lot of time to build, take my latest 15 forever where I'm currently farming pristine/mutated clumps in exactly the QL I want. A huge timesink yes, enjoyable.. hm well I'd much rather go out and hit towers too. But it's still that timesink that makes the end result an accomplishment, remove the timesink and it's simply not an accomplishment anymore. Back in the day someone who had 2.500 tokens, was either crazy for missions, or had a lot of money to buy token guns. You respected the guy who had 2.500 tokens. Nowadays, with dailies and token packs, if someone says they have 4k tokens... okay, grats?

Quote Originally Posted by Arguru View Post
    But that is assuming your general statement (and thus opinion) applies to everyone. YOU don't want to farm stuff/don't have the time, YOU don't find levelling a challenge anymore. Okay, all fine, but that's not going to be solved by selling 'time for money' and it will only insult the playerbase that can't/doesn't want to use the item store.

The thing is, everyone plays this game for different reasons and has different methods to get there. Personally I like PvP and I eschew levelling (though I enjoy the occasional raid), also I like to play the AO market. Hence, when I need something, I just hire people to powerlevel me and/or to buy the lootrights for whatever the hell I need.

Enter person B from my org, a froob who has multiple 200's, has never used the itemstore but still has lots of fun doing so. Said person is exceedingly wealthy for a froob and has worked really really hard to get there.

The thing is, selling 'time for money' will disadvantage both these people, since others can get to the same point by a simple swipe of the creditcard. Now, if this is fair I'm not going to discuss again as it's pointless, but it DOES diminish the 'accomplishment' greatly. I spent multiple years getting my current amount of credits, someone else can just buy token packs and sell them for 450m. While I didn't do that, my current amount of credits is suddenly less of an accomplishment because I could as well just have bought token packs.

Someone who has multiple 220's to their name... I respect that, I personally won't ever get another 220 as I *hate* the Inf grind with a passion, I'll just stick to making twinks. The guy I know with 9-10 220's to their name and multiple respected twinks.. yeah, that's an accomplishment. If FC were to indroduce 'buy 1000 points, get a char to 195!' (which was on their planned list fyi), yeah, that greatly diminishes that guy's accomplishments.

Not only that, enter person C, a casual PvP'er like me who decides to make a nice low-level twink like I have. They want to do six-slotter, but, alas. They didn't get the DB helm nor can they afford a Pioneer Backpack.. so they miss out on the Tutoring. Sorry, no sixslotter for you because you didn't spend 60$ on FC when that offer was available. This takes it one step further: it makes it that you can't accomplish a certain thing without spending RL money.

The point I'm trying to make is that for the grand majority of the players, the game is about accomplishments.. I feel really good about having multiple billions to my name and I've worked hard to get to that point. I have some nice twinks that cost me a lot of time to build, take my latest 15 forever where I'm currently farming pristine/mutated clumps in exactly the QL I want. A huge timesink yes, enjoyable.. hm well I'd much rather go out and hit towers too. But it's still that timesink that makes the end result an accomplishment, remove the timesink and it's simply not an accomplishment anymore. Back in the day someone who had 2.500 tokens, was either crazy for missions, or had a lot of money to buy token guns. You respected the guy who had 2.500 tokens. Nowadays, with dailies and token packs, if someone says they have 4k tokens... okay, grats?
    Nobody is forced to buy items from the item shop, its by choice. Now that being said if they were to introduce items such as armor or things like that they should be created as nodrop. I don't agree with adding items to the item shop that cant be obtained in game such as pioneer backpacks. The time sink for many is what kills the game, i don't want to sit here every day and farm stuff when i have limited time, no i want to go have fun and raid with org m8s or do something. After 10 years playing this game I've had enough with the nonstop grinding.

Nobody is forced to buy items from the item shop, its by choice. Now that being said if they were to introduce items such as armor or things like that they should be created as nodrop. I don't agree with adding items to the item shop that cant be obtained in game such as pioneer backpacks. The time sink for many is what kills the game, i don't want to sit here every day and farm stuff when i have limited time, no i want to go have fun and raid with org m8s or do something. After 10 years playing this game I've had enough with the nonstop grinding.
    a) It's not a matter of having to buy stuff from the item shop or not, it's because it's a possibility, it diminishes the accomplishment by those who haven't gotten that accomplishment through the itemshop.
    b) I got my combined armor sets through years and years of work. In your scenario someone else can go swipe their creditcard and voila, same accomplishment. Nobody gives an arse if it's NODROP.
    c) But that's exactly what happened with the DB helm. I have one, but the people who don't are at a disadvantage in regards to me when it comes to twinking, and people HAVE left the game over this or made an intention to do so.
    d) Don't take this offensively, but then maybe, AO isn't the game for you. It's a time heavy game yes, and I too don't have all the time I wish I had for AO. I don't expect to be as good anymore as someone who plays this game 18 hours a day, but I can still have fun. If you want to play a game where everything is just handed to you I gladly refer you to WoW or SW:TOR where you just get everything as you level. It's actually a welcome break from the AO grind. =)

The underlying point in your argument is basically 'I'm not as good as someone else'. No, you aren't. Simple as that. You won't get the same sense of accomplishment either if you just buy that stuff. I mean, do you really feel good about yourself when you make a new toon, buy a token pack and bam, you're done? I know I have much more respect for someone that has grinded their 2.500 tokens through RK mishes, or accumulated enough wealth to buy an obscene amount of token guns. Unfortunately, there's no way of telling who those people are so their accomplishment basically means nothing anymore. And that, is what makes people quit AO.

You quoted my post and used the word "You". I don't really want to get into a grammar debate here but if you weren't responding to my post.. don't quote it as nothing you had to say actually applied to me at all (from what you're saying).

It seems to me that your generalizations about the playerbase and what works and what people want have already been thoroughly expressed in several other posts so yes.. I read your response exactly as it was presented.. as a reply to me and what I wrote.

As for being mad.. I'm not. I don't know you so nothing you can say will anger me. I was being clear because I felt, by your post, that you were confused about exactly who you were talking to.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jan 25th, 2012 at 23:59:03.
    You can find me at:

a) It's not a matter of having to buy stuff from the item shop or not, it's because it's a possibility, it diminishes the accomplishment by those who haven't gotten that accomplishment through the itemshop.
    b) I got my combined armor sets through years and years of work. In your scenario someone else can go swipe their creditcard and voila, same accomplishment. Nobody gives an arse if it's NODROP.
    c) But that's exactly what happened with the DB helm. I have one, but the people who don't are at a disadvantage in regards to me when it comes to twinking, and people HAVE left the game over this or made an intention to do so.
    d) Don't take this offensively, but then maybe, AO isn't the game for you. It's a time heavy game yes, and I too don't have all the time I wish I had for AO. I don't expect to be as good anymore as someone who plays this game 18 hours a day, but I can still have fun. If you want to play a game where everything is just handed to you I gladly refer you to WoW or SW:TOR where you just get everything as you level. It's actually a welcome break from the AO grind. =)

The underlying point in your argument is basically 'I'm not as good as someone else'. No, you aren't. Simple as that. You won't get the same sense of accomplishment either if you just buy that stuff. I mean, do you really feel good about yourself when you make a new toon, buy a token pack and bam, you're done? I know I have much more respect for someone that has grinded their 2.500 tokens through RK mishes, or accumulated enough wealth to buy an obscene amount of token guns. Unfortunately, there's no way of telling who those people are so their accomplishment basically means nothing anymore. And that, is what makes people quit AO.
    You seem to miss the whole point, its not about whose better, cause I can get what i need one way or another. After 10 years i dont need a sense of accomplishment, i have done it all AT LEST once. I could care less if people buy 2500 tokens rather then farm them, the goal is the same the only difference is one gets there faster. For your other remarks, I have plenty of sets of AI armor, why would i want to grind to get more? Why not just buy it with the time i spend at work? I mean its all a grind whether its in game or at work. As for the DB helmet, that's not an item shop item it was an incentive to buy a years subscription. As far as being offensive its not, but this game is for me otherwise i wouldn't still be playing it over 10 years. But once again it comes down to, what business is it of yours if someone buys their armor instead of wasting time farming it? Does it really effect you? No it wouldn't. You wouldn't be forced to buy the items, you could continue to farm them. But at least people would have the choice.

You seem to miss the whole point, its not about whose better, cause I can get what i need one way or another. After 10 years i dont need a sense of accomplishment, i have done it all AT LEST once. I could care less if people buy 2500 tokens rather then farm them, the goal is the same the only difference is one gets there faster. For your other remarks, I have plenty of sets of AI armor, why would i want to grind to get more? Why not just buy it with the time i spend at work? I mean its all a grind whether its in game or at work. As for the DB helmet, that's not an item shop item it was an incentive to buy a years subscription. As far as being offensive its not, but this game is for me otherwise i wouldn't still be playing it over 10 years. But once again it comes down to, what business is it of yours if someone buys their armor instead of wasting time farming it? Does it really effect you? No it wouldn't. You wouldn't be forced to buy the items, you could continue to farm them. But at least people would have the choice.
    The thing here is that the itemstore, nor the game isn't about you, not by a long shot. It isn't about me either. While you couldn't care less about people buying their shiz, I can assure you that at least 90% of the playerbase would ragequit if their 'accomplishment' of getting their AI armor suddenly became worthless.

So yes, it does affect me in that sense.

The thing here is that the itemstore, nor the game isn't about you, not by a long shot. It isn't about me either. While you couldn't care less about people buying their shiz, I can assure you that at least 90% of the playerbase would ragequit if their 'accomplishment' of getting their AI armor suddenly became worthless.

So yes, it does affect me in that sense.
    Highly doubt 90% or even 10% of the player base would quit. Look at the majority of games on the market now days, they all have items you can buy and it proves to be successful. It would more than likely even bring more people into AO and old people back.

what is the price on a AI armor piece than ? 1000 dollars ? if you wanna compare playtime with your workgrind, can we see your paycheck to calculate how much you have to pay for a cc piece ?.. whats wrong with you, this is a game, play it or leave it!!! (btw I dont think you are the only one having a job here)
    meep

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
    what is the price on a AI armor piece than ? 1000 dollars ? if you wanna compare playtime with your workgrind, can we see your paycheck to calculate how much you have to pay for a cc piece ?.. whats wrong with you, this is a game, play it or leave it!!! (btw I dont think you are the only one having a job here)
    If they set the cost on my income the price would be way to high. And my point is still valid, why should anyone else care if other people were able to buy items. It doesn't effect anyone else, and everyone would have the opportunity and choice to do it. If anyone can give some logical examples of how it would effect you, be my guest but doubt you can. And I'm not talking about a sense of accomplishment, that's on you, someone else buying something doesn't effect your accomplishments if anything will make it more of an accomplishment for you when you farm the stuff.

But once again it comes down to, what business is it of yours if someone buys their armor instead of wasting time farming it? Does it really effect you? No it wouldn't. You wouldn't be forced to buy the items, you could continue to farm them. But at least people would have the choice.
    If I buy a game and pay for it so that I can play the content (regardless of who thinks I should or shouldn't) and other people are simply bypassing that content via the items shop then that equates to me having less people to do the content with.

So yes, I would say that as a paying subscriber, it is my business if someone buys armor instead of doing instances, or doing content because it will ultimately affect how many people I have available to play with. And it really becomes a problem that feeds on itself as can be best illustrated by the current state of the game population.

Plenty of people leave because of 1 gripe or the other but plenty of people also leave simply due to lack of people to play with. It's like going to a favorite arcade all of the time and then all of a sudden a new arcade opens up and people leave the old arcade (for whatever reason) to go to the new one. Maybe I have no issue with the old arcade but because the population has thinned I will find it less enjoyable (assuming part of the appeal was other players/gamers in the first place). The concept can be applied to AO's population as well as the itemstore.

The moment that items get put into the itemshop that can somehow allow players to bypass/not need existing game content then funcom ruins the game for those of us that want to do the content. It isn't about the accomplishment, as I couldn't care less what other people think I can or cannot do but about having other people to play with in a game with a constantly declining playerbase.

This is also the reason why I am against them putting in "Level to 99" "Level to 199" type items in the itemshop. That's wonderful for those that choose to bypass the leveling process but what about those of us that want to play our toons and level them up in teams? Most of the people that play AO, I would imagine, are working adults with jobs. I can afford to buy levels from the itemshop if I want and I definitely don't think I'd be a worse player for doing it. But the truth is, I like seeing a profession progress through the levels, playing with a team, using my toolset. I'd rather see the game fix the issues that makes players feel that they need to "buy levels", "buy power" or "buy time" then just make everything purchaseable through the itemshop.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jan 26th, 2012 at 00:35:21.
    You can find me at:

If I buy a game and pay for it so that I can play the content (regardless of who thinks I should or shouldn't) and other people are simply bypassing that content via the items shop then that equates to me having less people to do the content with.

So yes, I would say that as a paying subscriber, it is my business if someone buys armor instead of doing instances, or doing content because it will ultimately affect how many people I have available to play with. And it really becomes a problem that feeds on itself as can be best illustrated by the current state of the game population.

Plenty of people leave because of 1 gripe or the other but plenty of people also leave simply due to lack of people to play with. It's like going to a favorite arcade all of the time and then all of a sudden a new arcade opens up and people leave the old arcade (for whatever reason) to go to the new one. Maybe I have no issue with the old arcade but because the population has thinned I will find it less enjoyable (assuming part of the appeal was other players/gamers in the first place). The concept can be applied to AO's population as well as the itemstore.

The moment that items get put into the itemshop that can somehow allow players to bypass/not need existing game content then funcom ruins the game for those of us that want to do the content. It isn't about the accomplishment, as I couldn't care less what other people think I can or cannot do but about having other people to play with in a game with a constantly declining playerbase.

This is also the reason why I am against them putting in "Level to 99" "Level to 199" type items in the itemshop. That's wonderful for those that choose to bypass the leveling process but what about those of us that want to play our toons and level them up in teams? Most of the people that play AO, I would imagine, are working adults with jobs. I can afford to buy levels from the itemshop if I want and I definitely don't think I'd be a worse player for doing it. But the truth is, I like seeing a profession progress through the levels, playing with a team, using my toolset. I'd rather see the game fix the issues that makes players feel that they need to "buy levels", "buy power" or "buy time" then just make everything purchaseable through the itemshop.
    So it doesn't effect you then if SOMEONE ELSE buys items, its not going to effect the amount of people you have to play with, nobody said lets make every item in the game accessible from the item shop. If they made items like ai armor or other items that can be easily obtained solo then it would defiantly not have any effect on you.

Calm down guys. If FC didn't care about our opinion regarding the Item Shop... this forum would not exist.

Back in the day, our online games choices were far fewer. There was no facebook games, not twitter updates, no youtube... so our gaming time was pretty big.

These days, there is a ton of MMO's and the sites which I've mentioned (among a bunch of them, all popular). Also the workplace has gone online so your job can easily eat your gaming time, reading/writing e-mails, video conferences, etc.

Now besides the fact we have less time, these days.... we have less money to spend on entertainment which is what AO and every other MMO is.

Yes, it's cheaper to pay for an MMO than go out to see a movie, but when you have bills to pay, you need to give up stuff.

One month we can afford to play AO, the next... maybe not. Between those waiting for re-balance and/or new engine, those who decided to move on to other games, those who decided to remain froob and the world economy going to the toilet... we've lost thousands of players, which equals to a chunk of income FC needed to recover somehow. They can't raise the sub price, or we'd all quit (most likely) and they couldn't sell creds because for years they stated they never would and it would make too many leave as well.

The Item Shop provides a little extra income, but I highly doubt it covers the loss of revenue from players who no longer pay for AO.

{removed}

Here are a few questions for fellow players.

- Are the current prices fair? if not which do you think need to be adjusted?

- What item would you like to see added to the Item Shop and at what price?

- Do you think Holiday related items should be sold in the Item Shop or only be rewards for active players during the event?

- How did you feel when FC offered a free item to returning players which they didn't offer active paying players (the XP helm when purchasing a special subscription offer).

- Do you think they should add "gift cards" which you can trade to a friend in-game so he/she can buy stuff from the Item Shop?

- Would you be against current brands making an appearance in-game? for example "An Ancient Coca Cola Bottle" or "Harley Davidson" inspired ground vehicle.

{removed}

Discuss.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 26th, 2012 at 01:29:54. Reason: removed obscenities, removed moderation comments
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

So it doesn't effect you then if SOMEONE ELSE buys items, its not going to effect the amount of people you have to play with, nobody said lets make every item in the game accessible from the item shop. If they made items like ai armor or other items that can be easily obtained solo then it would defiantly not have any effect on you.
    Not sure if you're not reading my post because its long or what but

people buying level up items (i.e. straight to 99 or straight to 199) = less people leveling 1-99 and 1-198 = less people for me to play with

Not sure how else to spell that out. If you feel less people for me to play with is none of my business and won't affect my game play then I guess we're done talking.

This whole convo started when the new producer went into a wall of text (no offense.. I do it too) regarding selling time. Well selling time isn't as black and white as some like to present it. There are adverse affects on others with a different playstyle.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jan 26th, 2012 at 01:13:54.
    You can find me at:

Personally, I think that if FC is going to sell Power and call it Time, rather than selling formerly endgame items or leveling gear, they should just sell credits directly and be done with it (unless they have made a corporate promise not to). It would create a market for farmers and service providers. It would put a damper on credit vendors. It would also mean that someone would have to play the game to produce the phats. People playing the game is good.

One exception: Seasonal stuff that is no-drop and uniquely useful, like Lyas or Desert Nomad, IMHO should be in the shop. But I'd guess a lot of people would disagree with that.

If they set the cost on my income the price would be way to high. And my point is still valid, why should anyone else care if other people were able to buy items. It doesn't effect anyone else, and everyone would have the opportunity and choice to do it. If anyone can give some logical examples of how it would effect you, be my guest but doubt you can. And I'm not talking about a sense of accomplishment, that's on you, someone else buying something doesn't effect your accomplishments if anything will make it more of an accomplishment for you when you farm the stuff.
    this argument works well for those pretending to be Vulcans, and for those with low EQ's, but for the majority of humans, being silently competitive vs. others in any setting is a driving force for accomplishment. removing that inner motivation has an obvious impact.

try playing minecraft the "proper" way on a survival server where others are building in adventure mode. Guess how long any normal person would stay motivated to keep mining and building and not quit. unless someone is seriously socially disconnected, the result of removing the inner motivation is the same in any scenario.

selling "time" in a manner that equates to real power is a bridge that if crossed, will be burned and there will be no going back for AO. that's a fact. I highly doubt they will go that far, but it's not gonna stop anyone from voicing concerns on the forums. Rebuttling those concerns is 100% trolling, as the concerns are legit. not sure why someone would try to argue down a concern. that's a head scratcher.
    Last edited by SoapTarder; Jan 26th, 2012 at 04:03:01.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    This selling time concept has ups and downs. First I would love to see the nightmare of buying clusters for implants fixed. I mean really who likes spending two days finding 3 clusters for QL200 implants because the stores have the wrong damn QL in stock every time you check. But I don't want the option to buy built implants at X QL in the item store either. This is one of those it should be fixed so that in game method works and does not waste our time.
    So...just have superior shops always sell QL200 cluster? What relevance does this problem have in a thread about the item shop?

Highly doubt 90% or even 10% of the player base would quit. Look at the majority of games on the market now days, they all have items you can buy and it proves to be successful. It would more than likely even bring more people into AO and old people back.
    Of course they won't quit. The current AO population is 220/30/70 in Heroin Hero. Financial and logical realities have no effect. They need more and more accounts just to reach the same high they used to get from one account. Most of them will likely continue paying their subs until the servers go down, so FC might as well just implement whatever their deepest desires are - I would imagine some kind of atrox-centipede which metabolizes social CC and token boards into cashier's checks.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Obviously some people including FC could in principle be for selling "time/power/skill/whatever you want to name it" for whatever reason, but I certainly am not one of them, as well as aren't pretty much everyone I communicate within the game on a regular basis.

Most of the concerns I have with the concept have already been voiced, so there's no need to go into great detail, but fundamentally changing how the game works means that it just would not be AO anymore. The reason most people stay in the game after the initial exploration phase, is the real or perceived challenge the game offers. Be that by leveling the fastest, being the best at something (professions, tanking, healing, dmg, pvp, etc), twinking for the sake of squeezing that 1 extra point out that no one else has been able to do before, and anything else that has a competitive element to it.

I'm not saying that making shortcuts to the above mentioned activities would transform the game overnight into something horrible, but it is very likely as time passes for reasons others have mentioned already and just plain common sense. FC has had to choose between the band-aid workaround and a proper fix since day one, and most of the time they have chosen the easy band-aid route. This has led and will continue to lead to only more problems down the road. I know choosing the difficult option can be tough, but it is the correct one. Making the content fun without having the need to offer shortcuts to the players to bypass that content should be your number one goal.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that without the feeling of accomplishment (in whatever way you get it) AO might as well just be a colorful chat room. It's a bit of an oversimplification of course, but I hope you get the point. Oversimplification also being the word I would use to describe AO with in-game shortcuts available for sale for real money.

I can however live with and even accept social gear being sold in the items shop. Having visual diversity is a good thing, even though I can't really condone the sale of already existing armor sets as replicas (AI/beast/sentinels/OTAF).

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast