Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: January 2012

Simply there are not enough players in the game to need the massive ammount of items now in the gms.

Items are either to easy to get or the player base is going down.
    Which one is it? If not what else could it be from a business stand point.

AO won't live forever. Pick some areas and compare the population now to that when you first experienced it.

The game will sputter along until they eventually shut down the servers. Maybe it will swing up before that because of a rebalance+new engine, but maybe it won't. FC staff won't comment on population because they're running a business and admitting you're sliding is suicide.

If you enjoy it, play and have fun. If you don't, sink your losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukelewis87 View Post
    Simply there are not enough players in the game to need the massive ammount of items now in the gms.

Items are either to easy to get or the player base is going down.
    Which one is it? If not what else could it be from a business stand point.
    You're thinking about this the wrong way.

Theres a limited number of people, and a limited number of credits changing hands.

Whats NOT changing are people's percieved methods of making money, AND, more importanly, people's farming habits.

consider: If you got a lot of bored people in game, they roll alts, the alts level up, need intels, so they buy them. The price goes up, some dudes figure out how to camp TNH, they get good at it, and farm him constantly. They make a quick buck, and like the cash so they keep doing it.

Other people grow bored with the game, stop rolling alts (because of other issues), and soon theres nobody buying intels anymore. Those dudes who farmed intels still haven't given up on it, so they just keep farming, not really caring whether people are buying the intels, mainly because they can still sell a yellow/red/blue belt which makes it all worth while.

So, the price of intels gradually drops until you can buy just about any of them for under 50m.

So whats the big secret? Supply and demand, of course.

This works in exactly the opposite way for mid level LVB's and the loss of S10.

The problem with mid level LVB's is that the easy source to provide them is gone. So, the price went up. Twinks building more twinks for TL4-6 all of a sudden have lost a major source of cheap bots. Now, you got the same demand for LVB, but there's no easy provision for them. The result is that only the richest mofo's on the server can afford to buy LVB's at mid level, and, because AI raids are the most boring thing in game, nobody wants to spend an hour being bored to death to only have a 29% chance at getting an LVB (add to that a 18.3% chance of supple, and you got a 5% chance of getting what you needed), so, screw that.

Again, supply and demand.

Of course, if the average dude wanted to cash in on this, all he'd have to do is buck the trend:

in Case 1, buy up all the cheap intels, and
    in Case 2, start farming ai raids like it's goin out of style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunarsolace
    This idea kills 2 forum trolls with one hamster.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyra View Post
    Well ya, directing to information resources would be great. Even if all they do is pop in say "Hi, check out this site for an FAQ and links to other sites that can help" that'd be great for newcomers who may feel lost. But with so many people not even getting a greater they're still lost.
    That's why it shouldn't be part of the greeter work. It should simply be part of the game experience. That's why I said we shouldn't care about greeters ... it's not the answer to what problems exist in the newbie experience. I play game that don't have greeters and those games are successful in retaining new players because that's the approach those games take. Frankly, greeters are extremely inefficient for FC. That's why not everyone sees one (if that's true).
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

I did never played Star Wars Galaxies, but since it was short released after Anarchy Online (2003) i found while looking for other MMORPG games this news:

Star Wars Galaxies 15 december 2011 game is closed, maybe because of the release of SWTOR.

"We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we've received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.

Now i was thinking when Funcom is still bussy with a new game The Secret World and AO is 10 years old, the change of closing the game will grow every minute.
    I think that the profit of Anarchy Online is dropping every year, where old players are moving now to maybe SWTOR or other games that are new to discover and already 100% up to date with a grafics engine with no bugs. (Already know some players did move to AoC, Rift and Swtor) And that in a old organisation (since 2001) where 99% of the players are gone for good. (I did play from 2005)
    When Anarchy Online will get new engine i think that there will be alot of bugs incomming and that the price to run the server will rise.
    Where the income of the game will drop.
    And when 1 person of the Funcom office thinks that the profit is too low and profit is dropping every year, he can turn off the light.

I think that Means did a good move to go to another company which has growing potention.
    The top of Anarchy Online was maybe in 2005 and since then player base dropped every year.

The Question will be how long can the game stands on the feet, with more and more game are going free to play for complete game.
    And how long will the diehards Anarchy Online gamers will keep playing and paying for this game.

Besides it is 2012, maybe the end of the world of Anarchy Online.

AO doesn't sit on the same IP as TSW. This "Star Wars" thing that are in both names should only be in one game, and now that they've invested something like a hundred million dollars into SWTOR, they had better not have any marketing confusion accidentally putting players into that crappy old game.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Doing my PhD in business and innovation management I relish coming here to get up to date info on current business strategies and take part of the deep insights into the characteristics of supply and demand some of you guys have ... thank you Dukelewis87, Hotdog and to a lesser extent Jupiler1 .

the only way to bring AO to any galore would be to put lots of money into it and make ao2

downtime times ?

no one knows when u (start) shut down the login server´s
    we only know any about 6 hours today.
    ur timer say downtime 12:00 german time but u start at 14:00

Please give to the community a little more informations.

2 hours 15 min ago i read ingame the system msg that the loginservers r down

i calculate 14:00 + 6 hours = ~20:00 german time.
    Last edited by Brampfine; Feb 16th, 2012 at 16:21:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Brampfine View Post
    no one knows when u (start) shut down the login server´s
    we only know any about 6 hours today.
    ur timer say downtime 12:00 german time but u start at 14:00

Please give to the community a little more informations.

2 hours 15 min ago i read ingame the system msg that the loginservers r down

i calculate 14:00 + 6 hours = ~20:00 german time.
    Agreed on that:

"Extended by 7 hours" surely must mean "Extended to 7 hours"?

Quote Originally Posted by 3246251196 View Post
    Agreed on that:

"Extended by 7 hours" surely must mean "Extended to 7 hours"?
    2 letters can make all the difference with clarity.

By my count, Im leaning toward "by".

Anyone know why or what there doing to the billing database?
    I have yet to see one post regarding that.
    Isn't the average work day 7hrs if you take out the 2 15minute breaks and 30minute lunch? A full work day hrmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Kauh View Post
    2 letters can make all the difference with clarity.

By my count, Im leaning toward "by".
    I am almost appalled that these guys would extend the down-time by more than 100%! In fact, I am appalled, hence why I must make this comment.

I am almost appalled that these guys would extend the down-time by more than 100%! In fact, I am appalled, hence why I must make this comment.
    With a forum handle like yours, I suspect you are one of them cred sellers spamming shopping chan!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    With a forum handle like yours, I suspect you are one of them cred sellers spamming shopping chan!
    Your suspecting is incorrect.

It is what it is.

From an IT standpoint, this is acceptable. Not ideal, but acceptable. Issues come up all the time, and ftmp reworks rarely align with timetables.

Go out and enjoy some sunshine, or snow, or rain? Hug a cat, clean your room, kiss your wife (who you oh so neglect for hours of online gaming fun.).

Go out and enjoy some sunshine, or snow, or rain?
    Okay!
    Hug a cat
    Done!
    clean your room
    Now you're pushing it..
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

to any and all :-) ,

this is mainly to the funcom employees, but incidentally to the whole community. I'm a constant reader of the techdirt blog and I'd love to point out that the games that you create are fun and satisfy peoples needs to relax, hang out with friends and just have a fun time. but communication by and to the customer base well its sorely lacking. as they say on techdirt "Connect with Fans (CwF) and give them a Reason to Buy (RtB). CwF+RtB=$$$"

give me and all your other loyal supporters a reason to keep playing this game. CONNECT with us. give us in clear language when you expect the servers to come up. even if its NOT 100% accurate. heck hold a party to the people that have waited all day for servers to be up and running again. but please DON'T just put something up that's uninformative. PLEASE!

I bet its hard to get this server running. You know, lots of switches and stuff'
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by deanec64 View Post
    to any and all :-) ,

this is mainly to the funcom employees, but incidentally to the whole community. I'm a constant reader of the techdirt blog and I'd love to point out that the games that you create are fun and satisfy peoples needs to relax, hang out with friends and just have a fun time. but communication by and to the customer base well its sorely lacking. as they say on techdirt "Connect with Fans (CwF) and give them a Reason to Buy (RtB). CwF+RtB=$$$"

give me and all your other loyal supporters a reason to keep playing this game. CONNECT with us. give us in clear language when you expect the servers to come up. even if its NOT 100% accurate. heck hold a party to the people that have waited all day for servers to be up and running again. but please DON'T just put something up that's uninformative. PLEASE!
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=597293

I think they have been very clear. o.0

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast