Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: January 2012

Cool

I know you guys are working on the new engine and I'm hoping you are almost ready to go with it however from the standpoint of a game player understand that when something takes an inordinate amount of time to complete and misses deadline after deadline for the release (This new engine has been talked about being released for years, yes that is plural years), we begin to feel that either, a) we are being mislead about the engines existence (not my feeling) or, b) at some point you will realize it is not worth the effort to continue and will throw in the towel, shutting down the game (What I worry about). So, yes, insecurity about the continuation of the game plays into some of the angrier posts on this thread. I wish there was a way to fix this but the release the engine will cure all ills. Go Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHN2006 View Post
    I wish there was a way to fix this but the release the engine will cure all ills.
    You must be new around here.

When there is no more engine to whine about, we will still have our beloved rebalance, new player experience, economy, population, GMS, pvpsploits, pocketing, RK xp, Inf Mish, and lack of hats to keep us warm at night.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

what makes the graphics update???????????
    My englisch is bad. Wenn mit mir streiten willst quatsch mich auf Deutsch zu.
    Mitglied bei Punishment Inc.

Chars
    Drheiko was born on Thu Jun 22 09:20:15 2006 RK1 150 Doc
    Grafheiko was born on Wed May 17 17:17:37 2006 RK1 200 Agent (froob)
    Tilli was born on Tue Nov 14 12:25:47 2006 Rk1 220 Keeper
    Secretagent was born on Thu Oct 26 12:28:57 2006 RK1 220 Agent
    uvm...zu den geburtstagen wünsche ich mir ein 300 supplebot

Quote Originally Posted by Tilli View Post
    what makes the graphics update???????????
    programmers!!!!!!!!!!!
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Actually I'm not. I've been playing AO for 7 years , however the way you are talking highlights my point about the frustration of the player base when nothing seems to be happening. Not just with the engine but other things. Your comment also brings up another point that they are trying to fix too many things at once and finishing none of them. Try doing one at a time and then moving on to another.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 25th, 2012 at 20:06:43. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHN2006 View Post
    Actually I'm not. I've been playing AO for 7 years , however the way you are talking highlights my point about the frustration of the player base when nothing seems to be happening. Not just with the engine but other things. Your comment also brings up another point that they are trying to fix too many things at once and finishing none of them. Try doing one at a time and then moving on to another.
    +1 on this. Well said.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 25th, 2012 at 20:07:15. Reason: fixed more broken quote tags
    "Quests should always be optional. 100% of the time. Then they can be fun instead of a chore. A player should never have to stop and do a quest, or camp, or need a team in order to advance in the game. That's anti-fun, anti-player game design. " - Angelnova

There are still people playing the game as it is, quite happily. There's a quite large group of ex-players who would quite like an excuse to come back - but that's unlikely to be the graphics engine... they want to see changes to the game-play - particularly for end-game and PvP. But really... those aren't the groups that FC needs to reach. FC needs a lot of new players if AO is to have an extended and productive future.

Ideally, before they bring the new Graphics Engine online, they'll have the balance changes settled in and some improvements to the new player experience. Why?

Because the Graphics Engine change will probably be the biggest pull for getting really new players in. An improved new player experience will be necessary to help them become established. The balance changes should help bring back earlier players to establish a baseline population again and should hopefully make people feel they're in a well managed environment.

Let's be frank here... it's not really the old players that FC need to be pulling in. It's new players that need to come in to play the game. For the most part, even old vets returning to the game will tend to play for 6 to 12 months again and then stop. They've done it all before and they'll be power-levelling through, which will often not suit new players.

If there's to be new life-blood in the game, then they need to pull in a whole swathe of truly new players.... that should really be their strategic focus.

X
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by XtremTech View Post
    There are still people playing the game as it is, quite happily. There's a quite large group of ex-players who would quite like an excuse to come back - but that's unlikely to be the graphics engine... they want to see changes to the game-play - particularly for end-game and PvP. But really... those aren't the groups that FC needs to reach. FC needs a lot of new players if AO is to have an extended and productive future.

Ideally, before they bring the new Graphics Engine online, they'll have the balance changes settled in and some improvements to the new player experience. Why?

Because the Graphics Engine change will probably be the biggest pull for getting really new players in. An improved new player experience will be necessary to help them become established. The balance changes should help bring back earlier players to establish a baseline population again and should hopefully make people feel they're in a well managed environment.

Let's be frank here... it's not really the old players that FC need to be pulling in. It's new players that need to come in to play the game. For the most part, even old vets returning to the game will tend to play for 6 to 12 months again and then stop. They've done it all before and they'll be power-levelling through, which will often not suit new players.

If there's to be new life-blood in the game, then they need to pull in a whole swathe of truly new players.... that should really be their strategic focus.

X
    I agree that there are many people happily still playing this game as is, I am one, however Idon't agree that the new player experience and the balance changes should come before the engine release. Those can be tweaked after the release. The swathe of truly new players you are bringing in will most likely not be too concerned about the "new player experience", they will be wanting to see how the real game pans out. Also they won't be too concerned about the balancing because if they like the game they will probably be trying to learn other aspects of this truly complex game. What will bring them in is the nice eye candy of a new engine and the gameplay as it is will keep them until these other items ar tweaked. Incidentally not all "old vets" are into power leveling some take their time and enjoy their journey through the richest MMO out there.

X
    It seems to me that when the new engine is released it should be done on a new server together with the new player startup experience and rebalancing. Rebalancing should include making the SL zones appropriately difficult for the levels expected there. e.g. scheol quests shouldn't need help from a 220 in the catacombs to complete.
    Starting on a new server would give new players coming in an economy uncorrupted by earlier errors and a fairer playing field.
    One thought I pondered was whether or not it would be a good idea to open the new server a month or more before the release of the new engine, rebalancing etc.
    It could give older players a bit of fun and time to claim a bit of territory etc.
    The combination of the new engine, rebalancing and the new player experience is something that I think should occur on a new server.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    Well, I wanted to give test server a shot again but:

I used the duplicator on brand new installed copy with up to date patches. That worked fine. When running test copy first time it tries to install patches but stops with:

Code:
    Patch Failed: Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match. Current file: "Client.exe"
    You might have to reinstall Anarchy Online to play.
    If this particular problem persists, contact support@anarchy-online.com for help.
    Tried it on couple different computers even.
    Have you read the "Become a tester" section in ao's main page?

This text would probably resolve your issue:
    Quote Originally Posted by Become a tester
    9. When you first connect to the Test Server you may have to download new test live patches.
    Note: If you have problems patching, ensure that the version number in your Version.ID file in your Testserver Folder is formatted like this: 18.3.1.0_EP1
    and not like this: 18.3.1_EP1. Simply add the fourth number (.0) and save if this is not the case.
    Last edited by Kintaii; Feb 26th, 2012 at 01:23:40. Reason: Removed moderated quote

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Have you read the "Become a tester" section in ao's main page?

This text would probably resolve your issue:
    I read it. I indeed had to follow those direction to even get the patching started but then it ended with the error that I posted.

I'm kind of bored with my toons at the moment and thought messing around at test server could have given me enough entertainment to keep me around.

I read it. I indeed had to follow those direction to even get the patching started but then it ended with the error that I posted.

I'm kind of bored with my toons at the moment and thought messing around at test server could have given me enough entertainment to keep me around.
    I was having the same problem, so I actually changed the version to 18.3.1.0. That seemed to work for me. G'luck!
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Starting on a new server would give new players coming in an economy uncorrupted by earlier errors and a fairer playing field.
    Unless you remove all the loot and credits from the older players the economy will not change even on a new server. The stuff will still be there and still cost just as much. The rich will still be rich and the noobs still poor. Making it easier fo noobs to accumulate credits earlier in the game might help them get their toon better equipped initially, however, that nice high end piece of armor that you just must have is still going to cost a bunch unless you farm it yourself.

i am not sure what it might be honestly but if you havnt added the .numbernumber(usually 00) at the end of the Version.ID cause live has a shorter version.id then we do.... it will always fail..... also check my signature. (Testlive F.A.Q. it gives help on the testlive patching and various other things)
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

When there is no more engine to whine about, we will still have our beloved rebalance, new player experience, economy, population, GMS, pvpsploits, pocketing, RK xp, Inf Mish, and lack of hats to keep us warm at night.
    especially the lack of hats. And don't forget the long-missing eyepatch and cigar.

Imagine Funcom funded Anarchy Online properly instead of making any other games
    OMNI-TEK

Weird... Did another fresh install with same installer on Win XP in VMware. That worked just fine.

Server merge - No
    Graphics Engine - Hurry up, it will attract more players
    Advertising - I will donate $50 so you can advertise on Google.

I've just saved AO!

I think this is exactly why they're taking so long to do what they want to do. The average "new" player is now likely to have played any number of new MMOs and will have a less confusing, more streamlined, idiotproof experience and FC have a mountain to climb to fix that for AO, on top of the engine and endgame balance.

But as Vaughn said they bit off more than they could chew and getting 99% right in one go has resulted in getting 1% finished product to the playerbase in the last 3 years, and enormously increased the risk of failure (changes alienating the old while failing to entice the new). This is how vaporware is produced.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I just realised one thing, after talking about AO and fresh blood. He said something like this:
    "Sure, newbs will come, okay, but after doing first daily, they will do another daily, when possible, then another. After lvl 20, they will see thhat, when you team-up, he got punish. Not only he need wait for others to gather, run to mission area and wait when somonedie, but he will geting less XP then for that stupid daily..."

Doing Rk mission after daily at lvl 25 or so, its like telling players with addons to level only on outdor hunting now on RK(remember, there was no missions at start in AO!). I feel like whole daily mechanics will be a nail to the coffin sooner or later.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast