Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: January 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lordcabro View Post
    Hello! well this question may sound a bit off, but after January we all feel a bit worried about game status. Is AO in good standing in FC? is the game financially sound? Many veteran players are worried about it.
    Increasing the team with 3 people puts AO in a bad standing how? Maybe if all you read is made-up whines about this and that, things look totally bleak. I guess that's what people do most.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Did I miss it somewhere? It seems the first mention of the new player experience was in the summary. What will that entail, exactly, and where are you in that process?

Otherwise...first deadline: kept. Well done. Good post, and let us know if we can do anything to help.
    You didn't miss it, I will talk more about it in the next monthly update. The new player experience was my pet project up until now, and the other designers are picking up where I left off. They will get some time to have their own input in the design before we start the implementation.
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangostik View Post
    {removed}
    They're kind of fanboys (no offense you two). But they're right in what they saying. The dev team is bigger at the moment than for a long time. And also they were looking for new people to join them in Montreal for a long time and seem to have found someone (last time I checked http://www.funcom.com/jobs/montreal there was an offer for AO that seems gone now... seems like a substitute for Means/Lindelu in the team is found?). As I posted on another thread in these forums about a week ago, the 2011Q3 financial report from FunCom states AO as cash flow positive and alive.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 31st, 2012 at 20:45:27.

{removed}

Quote Originally Posted by Regarok View Post
    They're kind of fanboys (no offense you two)
    I generally prefer to say I'm personally invested in the success of AO.
    Personally knowing the team, considering some of them my friends and having contributed to the project I love seeing AO do well.
    I wouldn't really call that being a fanboy.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 31st, 2012 at 20:45:40.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!! Rock 'n roll. I'm feeling euphoric even though i shouldn't get my hopes way over my head!

You guys keep on doing y0 thang and i keep on doing my thang, playing your product!

Recruiting developers is a good sign, though isnt a indicative of the real plans for AO since they can be transferred to another FC project anytime. Besides AO devs do work on other projects.

Now I like to know the standing of Lindelu on PvP, as a Game Director is important or just a side thing? Most PvPers want to know how friendly towards PvP the new Game Director is.

Recruiting developers is a good sign, though isnt a indicative of the real plans for AO since they can be transferred to another FC project anytime. Besides AO devs do work on other projects.
    What other projects? I'm curious.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Server Merge
    . The server capability now compared to ten years ago is a little more buff, so the hardware can definately handle an increased population.
    It can ?

I think someone forgot to tell DAV and Camelot about that
    NO U

Masta, dont turn this in to another "I know more than you" thread.
    I understand Vhab interest on AO success, since I share it.

Lets keep focused on the questions to see if Lindelu feels like answering them.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by lordcabro; Jan 31st, 2012 at 16:18:50. Reason: Spelling Correction

Comon...

Inverted smiley face?

I gotta think to understand that...

petition to regular smiley face!

that's how it's done

Funcom employee

Hello! well this question may sound a bit off, but after January we all feel a bit worried about game status. Is AO in good standing in FC? is the game financially sound? Many veteran players are worried about it.
    About PvP, Most of pvpers know that AO devs have a lack of skills on it. Hence most game changes affect us in a negative way. Lindelu are you a PvP friendly Game Director, or just PvM one?
    Welcome to the hot seat Lindelu.
    PS: Kintaii should have his own version of a updates to the community, at least every 2 weeks. That way we get our fix.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "game status," but let me assure you that there is nothing to worry about regarding Funcom's commitment to the AO project. Quite the contrary - we have been growing the team, after all. And we are still hiring coders. To be perfectly honest, we wouldn't be increasing our investment in the game if there was some dire scenario looming over the horizon. AO has a long and bright future ahead because quite frankly it has game features and design decisions that weren't just revolutionary 10 years ago, but are still revolutionary today. The trick of course is to modernize the areas where the age is showing, and the engine is a good example of that.

I'll also add that PvP and the PvP community is a heavy consideration when decisions are made. For example, it's something that comes up a lot during internal discussions about the profession changes. Unfortunately it so happens there's a lot on the team's plate right now, and we're not going to have time for any specific or dedicated PvP improvements until the queue has been flushed a bit. But the things that Lindelu mentioned will benefit everyone, and we have to tackle these big issues before we start addressing specific concerns of any single segment of the AO community. Prioritizing this stuff is never easy believe me, because we'll all gamers and our gamer heart sings when we get to design something new and shiny. But the fact is if we try and do everything, we'll end up with nothing.

Masta, dont turn this in to another "I know more than you" thread.
    He brings up a good argument though.
    AO devs very rarely work on other projects. That would only happen in really unusual circumstances.
    Generally the time it takes for a dev to adjust to working on a different project makes it quite inefficient to bounce devs between projects.

AO devs are working on AO fulltime.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Regarding the server merge, if such a thing happens it better include an increase to 16 characters per account, I'm full on RK1 and I'm almost full on RK2, I already had to delete a ton of characters when DNW closed down.

I pay for 2 accounts on a regular basis and I would NOT like it to be forced to open up another 2 just to be able to play the characters I have invested time and effort into.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

One suggestion on the new player experience: Perhaps something that introduces the concept of twinking? To me, AO's big advantage over othe MMOs is the character system - it's just got a lot more depth than some. SWTOR for instance just seems pretty boring with "right click, item goes on". Letting new players know what makes AO unique early on might be helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSane4 View Post
    One suggestion on the new player experience: Perhaps something that introduces the concept of twinking? To me, AO's big advantage over othe MMOs is the character system - it's just got a lot more depth than some. SWTOR for instance just seems pretty boring with "right click, item goes on". Letting new players know what makes AO unique early on might be helpful?
    Gotta be careful with that too. In todays market, the 'casual player' wants simplicity. By showing prospective new players the horrors of twinking and screaming for buffs in OOC for an hour just to get that damned gun on, might turn them away instead of inviting them in.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Thank you Ilaliya, that answers my questions. Pretty sure that is helpful for others, Having confidence that AO is strong and sound makes it up for our invested time on it.

Vhab was just trying to stay on subject. I dislike when threads are turned in to a player DDs and word brawls.

The change to allow players to level on testlive is a very smart change, and was the main reason I hated testing myself because many of the playfields were simply frustrating for the characters I had.

I do hope it will allow players to reach AI 30 and LE 70 as well.

Further suggestions would be to somehow remove nodrop flags or allow nodrop items to be traded on test server, so that players who actually have all items across their toons could create a finished character on test live. The alternative would be allowing players to summon/create any item they choose but that seems like a LOT more work to me.

A "Super massive all your profession nanos rolled in one package" nano would also help a lot, and probably easy access to specializations. Unless players only wish to test NR8 shades the nanos will be very important.

220 is no where near the end, and even being 220 30 70 is far from what can be considered finished when many characters need a large amount of nodrop raid items. Without proper gear acquisition creating a level 220 30 70 character would still take months to complete, if not even longer on test server.

All I got.
    Last edited by Gatester; Jan 31st, 2012 at 17:10:07.

Am I the only one who's really not keen on another server merge?
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 31st, 2012 at 20:48:13. Reason: removed obscenities
    Sheffsam (200/0 Agent) E - Drsheffsam (200/0 Doc) E - Sheffsammy (200/0 NT) E - Sheffie (200/0 Trader) E - Sheffix (200/0 Fixer) E
    Sheffs (220/30/70 Doc) Crit - Nabcake (220/30/70 NT) Cheap & Effective - Sheff (220/30/67 Agent) Equip Undecided
    RK2 Neutral - Grey Area

Oh wow, some progress did happen. Guess everything is gonna be fine! Shut up you stupid trolls.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Perhaps along with the server merge to help accommodate all the orgs that will want towers SL towers could be completed?
    Well they messed with the wrong skull this time, Ha ha!!!
    ~ Murray the talking skull

Slacklin ~ 220 Fixer

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast