Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: January 2012

Question. I have all slots filled on both servers. If you merge server, what will become of my toons and items? And many toons have same name on both servers.

Hopefully, some additional slots/server will be added. I think 1 slot/playbale prof would be nice.

That way, I could select the toons I don't have in double, replace some placeholders on one of the servers, etc.

Like Traderjill said, some empathy would be nice from the dev team side.
    220 opi RK1 keeper § 220 opi RK1 Doc § 220 opi RK2 Fixer
    Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling View Post
    We usually call it WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rerolll View Post
    Well...when a momma envy and a daddy envy love each other very much...well...ask your parents.

Adjusted the title of the thread to include the year, just so there's no confusion next year.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Adjusted the title of the thread to include the year, just so there's no confusion next year.
    Maybe she wants to confuse people!

Don't nerf me
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

Quote Originally Posted by lordcabro View Post
    Masta, dont turn this in to another "I know more than you" thread.
    there is a slight difference between "I know more than you" and "you don't know more than I".

but if you insist, please tell in which other FC projects kintaii and macrosun participates.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSane4 View Post
    One suggestion on the new player experience: Perhaps something that introduces the concept of twinking?
    first quest at level 1, equip ql 30 carbs.. there is NPCs who can buff you complit (for NCU mems), behe and such and give some temporary implants perhaps that vanish in 10 minutes.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Jan 31st, 2012 at 21:37:19.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

First thing i see with the new director, no talking about RL stuff, what weather and RL chaos things are happening in city or bars or whatever.
    A big relieve for me and alot of others i think, Means had much more interest in RL then the game.
    He worked too long for the game and needed to replace years ago!!!
    Finally he is gone!!!
    He did nice work in the the first 1 or 2 years, then i think he was bored of it or less motivated.

Second thing i wish you good luck as the new game Director!

But i think it's too late to make all things for the game better, progress of the new engine and other stuff are taking too long time.
    Means did gave dates years ago when it will be finished and other stupids dates, by this the game lost alot of players.
    Alot did move to Rift and other new games, they where tired of the game and tired of fake dates.

When you have seen everything in the game, you need to move on and play other games.
    Not to stick to a game for many years and miss all the other games, where you can discover all brand new stuff.

The last time i logged AO was months ago in september 2011 for 1 hour to see same names sitting in borealis, lol.
    It was fun playing the game for too many years and wish everyone good luck!!!
    (I wish i did quit earlier)
    Last edited by Jupiler1; Jan 31st, 2012 at 21:58:21.

Some people are all for the server merge, but I have to say right now that if you guys do it in the same sloppy manner that you did DNW i'm fully against this.

What's gonna happen to the fully formed organizations that took so much life of the people that started it and run it, their cities, their org members. When you guys did DNW they lost these organizations, and at this point it would end up in favor of the existing orgs of the hosting server where the merge is happening. If you can transferred all characters to one server and keep their orgs in tact that would be an improvement, but then cities. I have worked VERY hard on my organization cities, they are both right next to each other now for my neutral org and omni org, and this took a lot of work to get this to happen.

You know funcom that i'm all for a larger population, but if you merge the servers, screw over existing organizations by making us have to reform then i'm out of here, because the DNW closure was just not executed well at all. Do this wrong, and you wont help the population grow at all, you'll have several people follow me out the door.
    Ipewpewu Director of Omni Org Pack of Noobs.

Glad to find Lindelu's update at last

About the server merge : this is a very heavy change and need to be considered as such, please take some time to get things done right and do not feel under pressure by all the "srver merg plox!11" threads.

Personally, I think you should focus on the big 3s, and see what happens when these are released, do not merge servers before that.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Honestly, a server merge before the big 3 is best in my eyes, if server ever needs to be reopened it will be a fresh start - not touched by the ravages of 10 years of sploits, ignots, or s10.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Decent post.
    I really hope if you do take server merge seriously that you involve the community properly and don't shaft people. My opinion, make every city instanced with ability to buy directly from GMS, and remove them from RK, and add more tower fields to the mix.

agree wise to make players to be able to buy over gms, all other games has it like this.
    and as waka said, it would solve city issues so easy for a merge.
    hopefully this post will make some old players wanna come back to prepare themself to merge and and meetnew people!

server merge would be enough for me to think the game is dead and they're just trying to squeeze the last bits of cash out of us..And imagine the articles on game sites = more bad publicity...
    remember how the solution for rk3 was paying an extra account if you want to keep your characters from going lost and you had a full account.

A server merge after the big 3 should be considered once a decent evaluation period has gone by.
    Freedom or death!
    Anything then being an Omni Tek Corporate slave!

Created 2005-11-16 (paid main that's all mine )
    Created 2005-02-03 (froobie)
    Created 2007-10-11 (second paid account because i wanted a freaking shade :P)

Interesting update, still waiting on the actual results.

Server merge - I would assume it won't be tackled until after the big 3 are in place and the team can look at the 'new' populations. We do know from the early years that a server can handle at least 30,000 active accounts as AO peaked around 60k. The forums of that time also attest to considerable push and shove to get stuff done like the fixer grid quest which rely on open world mob pops so keep in mind that the technical ability to host, say, 100k ppl on a server is not an issue but giving everyone enough breathing room to do non-instanced world content will set the real cap.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    I would thorougly oppose a server merge personally.

As someone stated, you go through all the trouble to merge two servers then bring out the new graphics engine and get an influx of new players (and old ones coming back especially) and you're back to needing two (or more) servers again.

So what do the guys and gals that moved do? Do they remain on their forced move server? Or are they automatically replaced onto their old server?

There are several other more sensible options than a server merge due to low server populations but I'm not going to post them here for the ideas to be confused in the general debate (that's for later lol).

Lindelu, if you're even vaguely interested in these ideas, shoot me a PM and I'll hand them over to you for discussion with the team.
    Consider that each server used to have many times the population that is currently running around without being the extremely beefy servers that they are now.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I would love the option to transfer my toons over to rk1 from rk2 since I have already relocated. I haven't been on rk2 in quite some time due to population issues and all my hard work is rotting away there.

Will this be an option soon?

It was said that this is something that would probably happen after the engine so I just want to know if anything has changed with these plans with the change in directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Interesting update, still waiting on the actual results.

Server merge - I would assume it won't be tackled until after the big 3 are in place and the team can look at the 'new' populations. We do know from the early years that a server can handle at least 30,000 active accounts as AO peaked around 60k. The forums of that time also attest to considerable push and shove to get stuff done like the fixer grid quest which rely on open world mob pops so keep in mind that the technical ability to host, say, 100k ppl on a server is not an issue but giving everyone enough breathing room to do non-instanced world content will set the real cap.
    There are many world mob quest lines that are not in anyway setup for large numbers of players. Bazzit's quest being one. You have to kill 6 of a mob type and there are only six total. They are on a 10 minute timer as well. With one or two folks doing the quest line it is not bad. But have been there when there were more people than could fit in a team with current population and since the quest does not update in RI it was really a pain. Doubling the players would be a total PITA for quest like that.

Open world Dallies like the goo mines in Broken Shores would be a PITA if there were 10 or 15 people there at once. Subway, TOTW and Foremans all would be that same as well.

But compared to Cities and Towers this is still ranks in the top 4 or 5 items to consider. And before some says instance the areas I really hate the concept of Anarchy 6 person team Online.

But if the looking at a merge gets us true auction house style buy thru GMS and gets all Cities instanced so the RK landscape can be pretty once more I would love it. I am one of those that consider the AI cities a blemish on the face of RK. I would love to see them gone.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Nanopwner View Post
    I would love the option to transfer my toons over to rk1 from rk2 since I have already relocated. I haven't been on rk2 in quite some time due to population issues and all my hard work is rotting away there.

Will this be an option soon?

It was said that this is something that would probably happen after the engine so I just want to know if anything has changed with these plans with the change in directors.
    Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of "merge"? They are simply putting two servers together, meaning there wont be any rk1 nor rk2. Just the two servers combined, lets call it rk12.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    But if the looking at a merge gets us true auction house style buy thru GMS and gets all Cities instanced so the RK landscape can be pretty once more I would love it. I am one of those that consider the AI cities a blemish on the face of RK. I would love to see them gone.
    This ^^

would be a necessary step before any merge, in any case, and as a stand-alone change, is highly desirable.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

My 2 cents, and I hope they are additive, not taking someone elses 2 cents...

A lot of negativity surrounds this game on forums. I think that the remaining players are more loyal to this game than any other games' fanbase.

I've played a lot of other games and I came to the realization that this game and its elements won't ever happen again. Too much cloning is going on, not enough originality.

I think Hope is a very strong word here. I am not talking about the place in Mort however. Hope is what builds this game.

I had an idea about one of the bigger server merge issues which is the name system. I know there are, 'first name', 'last name', 'title', and 'player name.' Is it possible to have a new title behind 'last name' called server title. Can be rk1, rk2, rk3 even. I am not a fan of name-x. If that is the only way, not much to argue there. I'll take a ghetto name if it means a robust population.

Myself, I am not so concerned with an actual date as I am interested in the 'big picture' of changes to mechanics. I would be interested in an outline like overview of what boosters/packs/mechanics/stuff are being totally reworked or just changed. Things like Nw's needs a total rework; however, battlestations only needs minor changes like different maps (as examples).

Anyways, just food for chunk.
    Keep up the good work.

ps, make sure you keep Ducky in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of "merge"? They are simply putting two servers together, meaning there wont be any rk1 nor rk2. Just the two servers combined, lets call it rk12.
    Perhaps you don't understand the difference between OPTIONAL (possibly paid) server transfer and FORCED merge...

If they decide merge is off the table I would still like to have the OPTION to transfer.

Understand?

I agree that instanced cities are the way to go. If an auction house system is not possible to implement in AO, there can be other alternatives. Perhaps add a "spawn key" button to the GMS, spawning a key to the city with the shop you selected.

Another problem with instancing cities is getting around. Cities were great if you got stuck in a random zone and wanted to get back to civilization. So we need some way to accommodate for this. A quest line with neuters that gives us a beacon item that teleports to neuters (only on RK) would be an option.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    Another problem with instancing cities is getting around. Cities were great if you got stuck in a random zone and wanted to get back to civilization. So we need some way to accommodate for this. A quest line with neuters that gives us a beacon item that teleports to neuters (only on RK) would be an option.
    before AI cities, ppl went out in the wilderness, and they got back the hard way - I see no problem with that now, especially since there *are* other travel methods, such as vet recall beacons and gridding (some profs).
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast