Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: January 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Adjusted the title of the thread to include the year, just so there's no confusion next year.
    To separate it from all the OTHER, "Hey, the engine/rebalance is JUST around the corner!", posts on here?

OT: Sounds good. However, this is the same thing verbatim we had heard for several years. I havent logged in in almost a month. How about giving me a tangible reason to keep my acct going?

We'll see.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    To separate it from all the OTHER, "Hey, the engine/rebalance is JUST around the corner!", posts on here?.
    Actually, more that people like to go back a year and resurrect the GD post with the same date a year prior, and it causes confusion.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

I'm excited that the rebalance will arrive incrementally.

Any idea with prof will be the first (besides shades new nano) to get some nerf/loves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunarsolace
    This idea kills 2 forum trolls with one hamster.

For more thoughts from the new AO team members check out this wall of text by Ilaliya:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...3&postcount=39
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

something I havn't heard mentioned in this or recent updates is the graphical logon interface that was being worked on.
    is there an eta for that?
    what if the hokey pokey?...is what its all about
    I AM BORED!!!!
    Capnsfix, Capncaveman, Denamari, Monkeylips, and boatloads of others
    Insanity inc. still waiting on our in game strait jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    before AI cities, ppl went out in the wilderness, and they got back the hard way - I see no problem with that now, especially since there *are* other travel methods, such as vet recall beacons and gridding (some profs).
    Because the hard way, AFK auto running, is much better than the city wompah system. Alternative travel methods are restrictive.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Whats wrong with you, I love the travel system in AO!
    Flying through zones gives me time to go for a .... [vulgar word referencing to bio activity]

I love you FC AO Team, I honestly feel being listened to when participating in the forums.
    dear omlets.... DO YOUR DAILY PVP! grmbl.

Nice to hear from FC. Great to hear how much they're investing in this game.

I too am against the server merge. It smacks of desperation. If we can't get new players into this game then we're doing something wrong. In the meantime we can all keep up our altarama.

If the servers began to have divergent story-lines it would be intriguing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

AO has the most comprehensive and fastest travel system of any MMO I've ever tried. Complaining about that part of it is moot. WoW you have to sit and wait for some eternal while as you fly around all over. Or sit and wait on a boat or train. That you can miss. And that generally only takes you to various hub areas, where AO lets you go to all kinds of places.

I'd say Rift is possibly the only new game to come close to having a travel system as smooth as AO's.

Quote Originally Posted by capncaveman View Post
    something I havn't heard mentioned in this or recent updates is the graphical logon interface that was being worked on.
    is there an eta for that?
    Yea, bump for this bit. New engine stuff only, or do we get it prior to that?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    As someone stated, you go through all the trouble to merge two servers then bring out the new graphics engine and get an influx of new players (and old ones coming back especially) and you're back to needing two (or more) servers again.
    You sir/madam, have an active imagination. There are not 10,000 people waiting in the wings for the engine to hit live. Most of the people who have moved on, are gone for good. And sure, people will stop by when it hits (particularly if FC gives a free month), but I doubt most will stay. And after these last few years, fearing too many players returning is a good, if fictitious, problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by omegahealer View Post
    server merge would be enough for me to think the game is dead and they're just trying to squeeze the last bits of cash out of us..And imagine the articles on game sites = more bad publicity...
    remember how the solution for rk3 was paying an extra account if you want to keep your characters from going lost and you had a full account.

A server merge after the big 3 should be considered once a decent evaluation period has gone by.
    As opposed to paying money to play on a barely populated server, which is an excellent use of time and money.

As for the publicity...seriously? AO has like 0.01% of the MMO market, what harm do you really think bad press can do? Oh no a 10 year old game went from 2 dimensions to 1, the sky is falling. Headlines of this sort would be in stark contrast to the beaming press AO has received in recent times.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Actually, more that people like to go back a year and resurrect the GD post with the same date a year prior, and it causes confusion.
    We would have had a blast doing this, if they weren't locked!
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    As for the publicity...seriously? AO has like 0.01% of the MMO market, what harm do you really think bad press can do? Oh no a 10 year old game went from 2 dimensions to 1, the sky is falling. Headlines of this sort would be in stark contrast to the beaming press AO has received in recent times.
    Yea, nice quote there, ZenWon.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Of any change - rebalance, or engine, or whatnot - the server merge sounds the most interesting. And needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    Honestly, a server merge before the big 3 is best in my eyes, if server ever needs to be reopened it will be a fresh start - not touched by the ravages of 10 years of sploits, ignots, or s10.
    Instead of merge as most people see it (migration really), it should in my humble opinion be creating one new server and moving everyone there. Towers shouldn't be an issue (hey, wipe 'em all, refund towers, would any PvPer really complain about competition aka wars?) and all cities should become instanced with buildings refunded. Whoever thinks it's cool to have clone cities fill every playfield needs to have their head checked. Arguments saying it wouldn't work are silly:

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    There are many world mob quest lines that are not in anyway setup for large numbers of players. Bazzit's quest being one. You have to kill 6 of a mob type and there are only six total. They are on a 10 minute timer as well. With one or two folks doing the quest line it is not bad. But have been there when there were more people than could fit in a team with current population and since the quest does not update in RI it was really a pain. Doubling the players would be a total PITA for quest like that.

Open world Dallies like the goo mines in Broken Shores would be a PITA if there were 10 or 15 people there at once. Subway, TOTW and Foremans all would be that same as well.
    When the Informant quest got live, there were several bottleneck mobs but people managed to get thru there anyway. Bazzit quest is something that's really, really rarely done. Can you remember how Trash King used to be - 20% spawn every 20 minutes, you only needed to tag him but even that was tough, plus everyone wanted those shoulderpads and I mean everyone from about level 40 upwards. Totw and subway have instances already if overcrowded, Foremans too I believe.

The point here is that quest mobs can be adjusted (probably not beyond the reaches of AO devs to increase number of Bazzit quest mobs), additionally people could - gasp - team up if they're off killing the same mobs as well. But it's not like a higher population would mean a worse game experience. You'd have to be insane to think that. The biggest problem would probably be Tarasque bots but that'd be a player created problem so a player created solution could probably be thought of.

Traveling in RK without benefit of city teleports doesn't change things a lot and mechanics could be made to replace this option either way.

What worries me the most is the general tone of "Imagine if there would be 10-15 people in the same place doing the same quest as you". Wow, that actually sounds like an MMO. You used TOTW as an example of a place that would be horrific with that amount of players. Way back when, there always were at least 50 people just hanging out outside of TOTW, never mind inside the place in various instances. It serves the best of nobody to have a low population.
    Last edited by eroz_c; Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:21:16.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    You used TOTW as an example of a place that would be horrific with that amount of players. Way back when, there always were at least 50 people just hanging out outside of TOTW, never mind inside the place in various instances. It serves the best of nobody to have a low population.
    Pulling GoT to the entrance was always fun when the place was actually busy
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Pulling GoT to the entrance was always fun when the place was actually busy
    A crat, a sandworm or 2, TOTW entrance, log out or /pet free.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

(this is where the) FIRST! (post would be if kintaai was writing the update)

Nice going Lindelu, but next time we expect something with a little more meat on it. Like pictures, movies, leet plushies for everyone, free beer...

If you want to implement small improvements, then change the duration of buffs all up to 4h, that should not be so hard, unless it is buried in the code.

And one small annoyance as a sidenote, lower the respawn of the mantis mobs from 30 to 10 minutes please.

Quote Originally Posted by Peku View Post
    If you want to implement small improvements, then change the duration of buffs all up to 4h, that should not be so hard, unless it is buried in the code.
    That's in the rebalance docs.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Been thinking bout a nice improvement to the game. Put a control on the server to prevent people from turning to omni or clan if the opposite side is largely outnumbered.

The better an equilibrium is reached, the funnier it will be for everyone (pvm and pvp).
    220 opi RK1 keeper § 220 opi RK1 Doc § 220 opi RK2 Fixer
    Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling View Post
    We usually call it WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rerolll View Post
    Well...when a momma envy and a daddy envy love each other very much...well...ask your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshiro2012 View Post
    lindelu,
    First of all thank you for the update! I have a question for you in regards to the server merger.
    Some players (such as myself) have full complements of toons (7 toons on rk1 and 7 toons on rk2), if you do merge the servers what will happen to these toons since the max per player on each server is 7?
    I am concerned about this as I lost a lot of end game equipment (not to mention credits) when rk3 was shut down.
    Thank you,
    Simple solution to that would be to keep the maximum as it is now but let the merge scripts simply ignore that limitation. You end up with 14 characters on the account for the server and obviously you can't add any more until you delete at least 7 of them (since max is 8?)

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast