Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BS Queue Suggestion

BS Queue Suggestion

Incoming wall of text, so get comfy.

I propose a change in the mechanics of signing up to BS. This change would allow players to queue for battlestation from anywhere in the game, excluding raid instances. The reasoning for this is simple, give players the ability to queue from anywhere and you will see a drastic increase in PvP range BS uptime. I would really like a dev response to this, whether it be a reason as to why it cannot happen or why they don't want it to.

Pros and Cons

Pros

-Players no longer have to run to a grid or terminal to access the battlestation room, this is doubly useful for both PvM and PvP players. PvM players no longer have to run all the way to a main city/terminal/grid just to queue, so if they are out farming Pocket bosses or dynas or w/e and someone in the org/on neutnet says 'XX-YY BS range is short of a few people', they no longer have to drop everything they are doing, just to go queue.

-Low level chars can queue from anywhere, removing the need to waste 10 mins running on a very slow char to the terminal. This could revive TL1-3 PvP.

-Is essentially very easy to implement from a technical standpoint.

-A good quality of life change.

-You would return to the place you was before you joined the BS making PvP accessible to everyone.

-Makes sense from a roleplay and story/timeline perspective.

Cons

-Waste of Dev resources. By this I mean the BS PF, that nobody wanted anyway, becomes a wasted asset.

-Possibility of less duel chances, nobody is going to be in a central point, thus nobody can say 'DUELPLSLOLOL!!'.

Technical Implementation

This change could be added with very minimal Developer effort and would be a large boon to the remaining AO community. There are two ways this could be done:

1) An item, purchasable from any store (Device Terminal), that when 'used' opens up the BS join menu, relevant to the players current level.

2) A button on the current GUI/chat command that does the same thing.

Option 2 would be preferable as new players wouldn't need guiding to a shop terminal to buy the item, it would be explained in the upcoming new player experience. "Click this button to join your side in the conflict for the dominion of the orbital battlestations!".

Actual implementation of the idea from a coding standpoint is also incredibly easy. Most of the code is already there in one form or another anyway. I will demonstrate this in Pseudocode:

Code:
    Player Presses Button/Item
    |
    V
    BS Menu for relevant player level shows up.
    |
    V
    Player clicks 'Sign Up'
    |
    V
    When enough players are signed up the 'Invite screen' shows.
    |
    V
    Players presses join, his PF number and Co-oords are saved serverside.
    |
    V
    BS Finishes, server reads the Coords, drops him back where he was, instead of outside of the terminal.
    The ability for the server to handle saved coords is already there thanks to the /stuck command. When a player uses this command, coords are written to the server, this is how terrain glitches were assessed and fixed (back when that happened). The BS screens are also already ingame, the only possible thing that might need 'creating' that isn't already there is the Item/Button which is a couple of hours work, max. The actual mechanic on the other hand would of course be subject to coding/testing/QA.

In the case of the Item, it would look something like this:

Code:
    Battlestation Warp Beacon

NODROP UNIQUE 
    Quality level: SPECIAL
    Requirements:
    Use:
    Level from 1-30
    or
    Level from 31-60
    or
    Level from 61-100
    or
    Level from 101-150
    or
    Level from 151-200
    or
    Level from 201-214
    or
    Level from 215-220

Skill locked on use: Sided Faction (1m)

Description:
    This device will allow you to teleport to the Orbital Battlestations around Rubi-ka to wage war against the enemy faction.
    Story/Continuity Perspective

The technology to lock onto a particular target and warp yourself there has been around for a while in both Nano and item form. Engineers, Meta-Physicist, Fixers and to some degree, Nano Technicians, are especially good at doing this. The idea of an item that allows a person is nothing new to the AO universe and isn't exactly ground breaking technology as it is essentially, the current sign-up terminals, but in a smaller and more portable form.

So again, this suggestion would not bend the rules of the AO universe.

In closing

If this was implemented, it would be a huge quality of life boost to the battlestations and to both PvM and PvP players. Yes this idea is a carbon copy of the WoW Battleground signup, but it is adapted to AO and AOs mechanics.

The is no feasible reason, to me anyway, as to why this cannot be done in a short time with very little developer effort as all of the code to make this happen already exists, it just needs moving around. And if you can make a bunch of useless social items in one patch cycle, I'm sure one item which activates a screen already ingame, wouldn't be too hard.

I'm so sure of how easy this is, I'd even code it myself given the opportunity, even with my lacklustre C/C++ knowledge. (hai pls hire me lol)

If anyone has any objections, comments or additions, feel free to say.
    Last edited by Raggy; Feb 20th, 2012 at 16:35:47.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Good idea, definitely a "quality of life change". As mostly a PvMer, if I ever do BS its because of the daily (which I just skip now for the tower daily). I still have to go to bor to get the daily, so its not too hard to sign up to BS from there. I really have no incentive to sign up for BS in the middle of pen or inf. Since it wont attract me into battlestations, I imagine it wont attract lots of other people. Then again, every PvMer may have drastically different feelings than me on pvp in AO.

I'm not objecting in any way, I see increase in BS participants as a bonus, whereas the quality of life change is the main focus. So bump!
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Bump, PvPer here and i would die for this, i hate running around bor and oa to find 1 person flagged gank him and then run for a couple more hours and still no BS running BIG BUMP

Nice layout and suggestion. I'll bump this, even though this would probably mean there won't be any central point of where people are duelling (as you mentioned before) however, the duel room in bs area is a good spot to duel even if you're not waiting for bs.

Bump.

agreed.

good suggestion. In reality, this type of implementation should have been done WITH the battlestation patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunarsolace
    This idea kills 2 forum trolls with one hamster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    Good idea, definitely a "quality of life change". As mostly a PvMer, if I ever do BS its because of the daily (which I just skip now for the tower daily). I still have to go to bor to get the daily, so its not too hard to sign up to BS from there.
    Ah, I did kind of forget about the daily mish. I'm sure there could be other ways of obtaining that though. How about scrapping the BS daily and just giving XP alongside VP for a BS round completion? Although that might reduce numbers of available players for teams in low-mid ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    I really have no incentive to sign up for BS in the middle of pen or inf. Since it wont attract me into battlestations, I imagine it wont attract lots of other people. Then again, every PvMer may have drastically different feelings than me on pvp in AO.

I'm not objecting in any way, I see increase in BS participants as a bonus, whereas the quality of life change is the main focus. So bump!
    The change would be more based around accessibility.

Let's say for example, I am running around killing SL dynas for PB parts and then my BS queue pops up. 9/10 times I'm going to just decline the invite simply because, when the BS ends, I'll be back in the BS room. I'm not going to take the risk of the BS not lasting for more than 3 mins, when it takes me more than 5mins to reach where I was at before. So as I decline, I might be the reason why the BS won't run again, because there is 1 clan short for that range.

Giving players the option to queue BS while being safe in the knowledge they can resume what they were doing, will bring more players to BS. This is a fact. It was done in WoW with the WotLK expansion pack and it propelled PvP interest for both types of player making queues shorter and increasing available PvP population.
    Last edited by Raggy; Feb 21st, 2012 at 08:13:56.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Bump
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

bump
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

There really isn't an excuse to not have something like this, the current system is so painfully ass-backwards and annoying
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Ah, I did kind of forget about the daily mish. I'm sure there could be other ways of obtaining that though. How about scrapping the BS daily and just giving XP alongside VP for a BS round completion? Although that might reduce numbers of available players for teams in low-mid ranges.
    Bump for less heck teams and more solo kills.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Hey look, a bump.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Bumping again.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

hy raggy i bump u from behind

To create congreations the diferent bs's could be opened on diferent times. Like tl6 bs open for 3hours, then tl7 etc
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Riiiiiiiiiiiise
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

A million times bump
    ::Veteran of Divine::
    Thecrowalt1 - 220/19/62 - Solitus Keeper - Clan - Gimped
    Thecrow91 - 132/7/? - Solitus Doctor - Clan - First Toon
    Many others under 100

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    AO is too hard.. better nerf all content

Bump!
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

bump easy access to pvp and when its ended being dumped wherever you were before doing the pvp means pvmers will do as its not dragging you out of your way so why not

Everytime until it happens.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast