Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Well, guess what. That's exactly what FC has been asking us to do for over 5 years. "Stick around, the good stuff is coming! We swear!!"
    No, they always said they are working on it. All promises were made under best efforts premises.

5 years... a tad exaggerated, but who's counting right?

Also, all companies say/will say "Stick around! The best stuff is yet to come!" and I still can count on the fingers of one hand those that rise to that kind of expectations. Probably, I'm one of the more jaded Interwebz dwellers and I never bank on "we promise you the second coming" promises. I'm usually happy they still take an interested in improving, and to be true, FC actually improved AO over the past 3-5 years no matter how much I would dislike some their less important decisions.

Those billboards had no problem running videos such as Air Force and Toyota commercials and ingame concerts ( that only half the players were allowed to see ), so there's no reason they can't run a video of the new engine. And it'd be nice for them to be used for something other than AOUniverse ads since fr00bs play entirely free now without having to see any real ads.
    Probably would work fine if they played it like interlaced bink videos.
    Last edited by Khlin; Mar 19th, 2012 at 22:00:44.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    No, they always said they are working on it. All promises were made under best efforts premises.

Also, all companies say/will say "Stick around! The best stuff is yet to come!" and I still can count on the fingers of one hand those that rise to that kind of expectations. Probably, I'm one of the more jaded Interwebz dwellers and I never bank on "we promise you the second coming" promises. I'm usually happy they still take an interested in improving, and to be true, FC actually improved AO over the past 3-5 years no matter how much I would dislike some their less important decisions.
    Engine was first announced in 2007 by Sil. Welcome to 2012. 5 years. Talk of "rebalance" has been around longer than that, but who's counting right?

Engine was first announced in 2007 by Sil. Welcome to 2012. 5 years. Talk of "rebalance" has been around longer than that, but who's counting right?
    Integrating the newer Dreamworld engine is rather recent. The rest were failed attempts and I'm taking them as such.

Would I have wanted the engine yesterday? Yes, I would. But I would rather they use something that would not create issues further along the road, aka the bigger picture.

I'm not an FC fanboi and at times I've been known to rage again FC and you could gather several tomes of moderation-worthy content I've spewed in the org chat. But that doesn't mean I can't be realistic about it.

So, FC's decision to implement their own Dreamworld engine in the game instead of some randomly chosen 3rd party sounds a lot better to me although it still annoys me it has taken this long. But, I do agree with their decision.

As for the rebalancing act, they did show some initiative regarding some profession abilities. Not a full scale, but they did.

As for FC still keeping the team together, improving hosting conditions and hiring more people, if that doesn't mean they still want this game as part of their portfolio, then I don't know what does.

FC has not put AO into conservation state which would simply mean keeping the servers up. They still roll updates considering how big the team is at this point.

And they must have realized that backing down on their GFX/rebalance/startup experience would mean a debacle as big as AoC's initial failure as far as gamers are concerned. Going back on their promise to update the game to this extent would hurt them quite a lot.

AO is still being remembered by quite a lot of people, granted with mixed feelings, but it is remembered. Some have bought into the bash-FC trend, others that they have played the game and it's a good experience as far as the meta-game is concerned. This is also shown by the fact that we lost the CMA contest by 3 votes since DAOC has better exposure than AO currently, but we still held our own.

In terms of software development, especially when working with a small team, you give expectations under best efforts and, unfortunately, the process is not always 100% transparent due to various reasons that are outside AO's team scope.

So, again, I concur with FC's move to further delay the engine release so they could have a solid integration of the Dreamworld engine instead of half-assing it with a 3rd party solution. I concur also because I do take a role in software development processes where I work and because I put my a$$ on the line for delaying product launches because I felt it wasn't the right time, even though I had to go up against sales or marketing department and, at times, the board and making them quite unhappy about it.
    Last edited by Khlin; Mar 20th, 2012 at 08:59:59.

Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Integrating the Dreamworld engine is rather recent. The rest were failed attempts and I'm taking them as such.
    AO has been using the Dreamworld engine since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    AO has been using the Dreamworld engine since 2001.
    Yes, I know. I meant about the newer version. I shall make the necessary amends, massah!

Also, all companies say/will say "Stick around! The best stuff is yet to come!" and I still can count on the fingers of one hand those that rise to that kind of expectations. snip
    1. Uhm just curious, is the game worth paying to play it as is now?

2. Would you keep playing AO if there was never to be a new engine/rebalance/start-up?

3. If the answer to those questions is no, do you realize how silly you look for complaining about having a subscription right now?

I suggest that you contact me in game to transfer all your creds and YESDROPS to one of my safe and secure froob banks. Then promptly cancel your subscription. Remember to do it in this specific order.

A> contact Psikie
    B> transfer goodies
    C> cancel subscription

You will then have more time to play farmville and facebook what you ate for breakfast to your 200 closest internet contacts. And you can rejoice in the fact that you no longer have anything to complain about in the world and watch your blood pressure drop. Remember always follow your ABC's.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Brilliant idea. Though how is quality affected in-world by the existing engine.. I"m kinda newbie on graphics and such.. can they show a high quality version of the new engine in the game that is running the org engine?
    billboards are only displaying raster images. quality loss with streaming video in AOs billboards is almost as high as watching your favourite jpeg with a web browser.
    in billboard there is only perspective and general brightness from environment that makes the video slightly different.
    bigger issue would be FC using heavier compression on video to reduce file-size that needs to be downloaded.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Probably would work fine if they played it like interlaced bink videos.
    why on earth you'd want interlaced anything?
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    why on earth you'd want interlaced anything?
    Just a reference on how crappy it would look to have the new engine streamed through the in-game billboard.

Looking crappy perhaps, but still playing to show people who might not keep up with forums and other news on the game that stuff is going on. And there are quite a lot of those.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

+1 to streaming the new vid on the in-game billboards the moment it hits the gaming press.
    I'm actually Ophiuchus // Cynic092 but Forum accounts are fickle, fleeting things...

Are we there yet?

Bombqueen.

Is there any way for the billboards to display a message like: "GO TO THIS URL, LOG IN WITH FORUM NAME & PASSWORD TO SEE A ROUGH CUT OF NEW VID! Sh! Don't tell Marketing, they'll go mental about this." ? Just a way to show the the video in all its g(l)ory without nonplayers seeing it and ruining it for Marketing.
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

The person above me must change their Avatar. IT'S MINE.
    OMNI-TEK

Funcom employee

Quick update: Doing some interviews this week for major gaming sites (related to the new video), will keep you posted. Peace out. ..I can't believe I said peace out.
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Second and 2 weeks after really? And still no video peace out

Cool

Drumroll please!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Well, I think it should be pretty obvious this isn't what I'm saying.

The opportunity I'm talking about is an outcome of the three major features the team is working on -- the engine, the new player experience/tutorial, and the systems changes. Taken together, these three improvements will do a great deal for the game. Now as I said a number of times on this thread, we had a lot of positive internal feedback from the video and I made the decision to "do something with it" despite the fact this added a little bit of time to the process. We really wanted to get it out to as broad an audience of MMO players as possible, especially people who might not even know that we are doing an engine upgrade. Or have had AO fall off their radar entirely.

The fact is if we delay a video of the new engine by a few days or a few weeks from when it was originally intended I don't quite see how impacts your play experience. I do understand your disappointment, but please realize it's something we're doing because we think that is the best move for the game as a whole. And I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause.
    You know...if I read that 3 or 4 years ago, I would have nodded and said "cool". Now?

Do you realize that ppl have completed high school waiting for this? That ppl have achieved college degrees, gotten married, advanced thier careers? Hell, kids that were BORN when this was first announced are STARTING SCHOOL now. This is not some 6 month runover. This is a string along of epic proportions.

I was a die hard fan boi for a long time. Watched my active, 25+ person org dwindle, til I was alone. Then I started to see what they saw. I havent logged in since the first part of Janruary.
    Last edited by Kintaii; Mar 21st, 2012 at 05:15:29. Reason: Account status.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Still not as bad as blizzard taking 11 years, heh.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    Still not as bad as blizzard taking 11 years, heh.
    Blizzard had no worries about whether there'd be anyone left to play it.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast