Page 1 of 31 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: February 2012

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update: February 2012

Monthly Development Update: February 2012

This has been a very interesting month for me, because I'm learning about all the different components that keeps a live game like AO up on its feet. In addition to the development team we have many people working behind the scenes; making sure the servers are running, that patches are being deployed, that our content is good and that your petitions are answered. I'm getting to know them now, and some of them really go out of their way to improve AO. You asked whether the development team work on other projects – no, everyone on the dev team works solely for AO.

The New Engine

In February we produced our first new engine video! The Funcom marketing department liked it so much that they jumped at the chance to help us promote it, which ultimately pushed it back a couple of days but the extra time is worth it!

The production of this video initiated some really nice progress. The artists are more confident working with the settings and materials, and they learned what they can do to really make a difference in quality. Two features that we had previously thought were broken in code simply work once the artists got to spend some more time with it. Grass can now be displayed correctly in the distance, and our spec maps no longer make objects look like glazed donuts.

The code progress in February is also significant! We've successfully made our own version of the internal world building tool so it is specialized in AO playfields. Before, we shared the same version of the tools platform with the other projects in the building, which had proved a little problematic since AO's playfields are very different from those in AOC and TSW!

In March we're attempting to rewrite the code that allows for our playfields to be converted from the old engine to the new engine. Currently some of our playfields are converted incorrectly which results in the ground not being displayed. This actually forced us to cut some locations from the first engine video, but once we have a better conversion process we will finally be able to access and improve the remaining playfields.

The New Start up Experience

We believe that the new start up experience will do AO a lot more justice for any new player who enters the game, and the artist are now building new areas that are fully supported by the coming engine.
    Everyone will start here, whether you have the expansions or not.

You'll begin in a single player area, where you'll be introduced to the very basics of the game, including your profession tools. When we get this right it should only take you a couple of minutes to play through, and you'll end up with all the gear you need to start out (but hopefully you will want more!)

As soon as you've completed the single player area, you'll be able to enter the second part; a new open world area specifically designed to be fun and offer direction on just about anything that you should know about AO before you set out to explore the rest of the game. You can team up with friends to gain some benefits, but it won't be compulsory.

I expect this to be ready for Live before the engine update and the profession changes, and I'll make sure to announce when it's ready for beta testing on the Test Dimension (:

Profession Changes

Currently some professions have very strong, unique roles, while others have to rely solely on DPS, and we're looking at the fundamentals of each profession's primary and secondary role. As part of our vision, we're extending the usability of your tools to allow you to be more efficient in your role and depend less on just attack rating.

Changing Game Direction in the middle of this process have delayed us, there is no question about that, but we're getting help from our new Producer planning the work ahead of us and fitting in these new stronger role visions into this work.

We have gone through and reviewed a little more than half of the profession role changes in February, so logically by the end of March we're aiming towards approving all of them. Once we've made these decisions, we'll go back and adjust the formulas and numbers too before we're ready to start the implementation.

As I've mentioned before some of the more general changes will come first, but all the specific changes will be released in one patch. I will reveal more in the coming patch notes.

Please continue to play without too much worry of what these changes will bring! We will allow for free IP-resets and breed re-rolls, and anything else we can think of that will make it as easy as possible for you guys to adapt to these changes. Our hope is that you will have a lot of fun re-discovering the mechanics of your favorite professions, yet will keep most of the tools you're already familiar with in some shape or form.

Server Migration

Many of you have questions about the server merge. The only thing that I can confirm is that it will not be a transfer from one server to another, but moving characters to a completely new server. AO is an old game now, and I'm told that it will benefit greatly from starting on a fresh server to ensure that it can keep running smoothly for another ten years.

Some of you suggested starting a new forum section to discuss this, and I think that's a good idea. To quote one of you: “I know you guys do your best to think through issues, but quite often players are able to contribute some meaningful feedback that may cover concerns you guys have missed.”
    I think this sums it up nicely.

When I have confirmation on how a server migration can be done, we will set up a forum section to further discuss this. We're already taking into consideration some of the issues that you've brought up so far, and we're hoping to address these as part of the migration.

1) What will happen to GMS/Player Shops? 2) Character names? 3) Organization Names and Members 4) Organization Cities 6) Notum Towers 7) Maximum Character Slots 8) Performance Issues 9) Camped Monsters

Item Shop

We've made a couple of new things for sale; a new flying vehicle, new shoulder pads with color variations, and a couple of wedding bouquets and other love themed items that I think look really nice. These will pop into the shop at various times, and some of them already have.

The Next Game Update

The next patch will contain quite a few game improvements, based on your feedback. I'll keep you posted with preliminary patch notes when it's ready for Test Live, although I'm not expecting it before the end of March.

I appreciate all the feedback we've gotten this past month, and I hope that I covered most of your questions in this newsletter!

Kindly,
    Fia “Lindelu” Tjernberg

Waldgeist edit: German Translation
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

1st!

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

On the first page!

Interesting stuff, although where's the video? :P I wonder if it's on the game's site itself... /me goes to look.
    Last edited by Swordbreaker; Feb 29th, 2012 at 15:53:29.
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

First page !

Video : when ?!
    Last edited by Thorneee; Feb 29th, 2012 at 15:58:33.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Oh, it's here!
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

yay for the video!

and ditch the new starter experience and bring back arrival hall! it's faster and better in every account.

ps: ignore the arrival hall comment
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Feb 29th, 2012 at 15:57:28.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Hi. That was a nice read. I like the ideas you are putting forward and it shows you have some initiative as a game director.
    Really looking forward to the new engine, It will be great playing a classic game on an up to date server.
    New start up experience would be cool and very helpful if done right, I like the idea of a quick start area that least into a full area designed to guide you through AO in a fun way, this could be done really well. Lots of people to talk to, quests story.. add a bit of life to AO before the journey really begins.

I'm really looking forward to the re-balance, I like how you are looking towards updating the roles of your profession, making them more in-depth and not just based around dps, this is great because I love the professions in Anarchy Online, and how different they all are. My favourite has to be the Fixer. It will be pretty interesting to get to adapt to a more up to date AO with better profession expression XD. I saw somebody on the forums suggest the complete opposite, he wanted to dumb every prof down and make them less unique, that just wouldn't be fun.

I am one for the server migration! A fresh start to a server would be excellent. Part of me thinks a new server should = new toons. I know a lot of people who put a lot of time into characters would be annoyed but there's nothing wrong with a completely fresh start, it would make the exploration of rubi-ka and shadowlands so much more fun and would maybe stop AO from falling back into a powerlevel grind (hecks at shadowlands I mean) if old players returned.

Great post and one last thing: OMG WHAR IZ VIDOE
    Last edited by MrMojoRisin; Feb 29th, 2012 at 16:27:30.
    OMNI-TEK

so.... can i has video?

nice to see things are moving forward
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

video would be nice, we can see it?

Sounds pretty! Keep it going Im waiting

Sounds great. Can't wait to see what it's all about Or to find out how much it's all been delayed wtb playing AO again.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Thank you for all those details and the great work you guys have put in AO this last month.
    I'm a little sad that all we get is a glimpse through your words but coding takes time.

I'm impatient to try the new tutorials playfields, you can bet I'll experience them with at least three new alts (I'm an altoholic )

But I wonder, when you wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    We will allow for free IP-resets and breed re-rolls, and anything else we can think of that will make it as easy as possible for you guys to adapt to these changes. Our hope is that you will have a lot of fun re-discovering the mechanics of your favorite professions, yet will keep most of the tools you're already familiar with in some shape or form.
    How many IP resets and breed re-rolls that would be? I'd easily see 2-3 IPRs and maybe 2 breed re-rolls (so that if in the end you think you're better with your previous breed, you're not stuck)

While you're at it, why not a one-time change to Neutral for those who wants to do that, or you'd rather wait for the new server?

Nothing we didn't already know.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Now you can go and fix those 10s lags out there today.

Veteran of Podroznicy Rubi-Ka on RK2

lTwotwenty "Troxkeep" Isfornubz l220|21 ¤ No wai atrox without MR perked
    ..Noone "Puczymorda" Likesme 216|18 ¤ lAtrox Enf Growing in progress
    O "Bajobongo" Fortehlulzl. 170|10 ¤ Atrox Agent. Farming BS
    "Patfur" Littlegun.... 171|11 ¤ Atrox Sold. rrfeplz
    Youhavebeen "Wjehu" Disconnected 151|00 ¤ O noez! frub! My little Banktoon.iii
    And Few Other Lowbies
    PST to any of them if you have credz that you don't need

Clan Slpoits!
    [Shivj00]: wow..gj on sploiting rocket launger ammo

[prose] I'm expecting that this first one will hit you sometime in february!
    Good start Linde.

So when are you fixing the issue of battle station? Bring TL locked BS, and remove the "PvP" daily missions. Unless BS running once per day is good enough for you..
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

1) What will happen to GMS/Player Shops? 2) Character names? 3) Organization Names and Members 4) Organization Cities 6) Notum Towers 7) Maximum Character Slots 8) Performance Issues 9) Camped Monsters
    Whatever happened to number 5?
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

By The Goddess Summers! Actual information! Server migration sounds interesting. New start up experience intrigues me. But above all the chimera that is The New Engine is drawing closer to reality. And lest we doubt remember there are actual adverts ingame now AND Tip Of The Day is sometimes useful. *raises coffee mug in salute*
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Page 1 of 31 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast