Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Teasing engine-teaser is teasing

If they just add more realistic meshes to the character i would be a happy guy, they fixed the heads, but the hands could use a revamp job

Quote Originally Posted by Rigister View Post
    If they just add more realistic meshes to the character i would be a happy guy, they fixed the heads, but the hands could use a revamp job
    You can find one of the new bodies in an old FWM.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Didn't Kotaku lose 90% of their readers when they launched that appalling redesign? I certainly never read there anymore.
    They added the old blog view option on the top of the search box, either way, it's one of the most viewed websites in the video game industry worldwide.... and it's a favor i'm doing to this very greatfull comunity.

But i can just not do it if you like.

After all, the game is very well populated, and doesn't need publicity, RIGHT?

Err, more exposure good. If you can get it on Kotaku, I for one think that's very cool .

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunktion View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but that teaser didn't really impress me. That video just makes me want the rebalance more than the actual engine to be honest, nothing THAT appealing in the video and I'd much rather have balance than slightly improved shinies that still doesn't look good compared to modern mmos.

This is my first negative comment about the engine and it really bothers me that I just don't see the stuff that should be breathtaking or amazing :/
    What? Seriously?

Did you expect the graphics of a new MMO? To me, that video is amazing. Realistic water, shadows, and light. They have already stated that they have redone the rocks and tree's, and added dynamic grass etc. This will be an amazing first step.

They are putting in a new engine. But they are still using the same 11 year old assets (for the most part). In the interview though, they did state that they could begin remaking some of the assets as time goes on. If this is true, AO will continually get better and better graphics wise. It is very exciting stuff.
    Service (220 Doc ) : Putrefy (173 Shade) : Klench (162 Enf ) : Impiety (113 MP) : Immolater (76 Agent ) : Apprentice Pained (5 Advy)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Ex-ShadowMercs, Ex-Awakening, Ex-Legion, Ex-Orbitek,)

Quote Originally Posted by Service View Post
    What? Seriously?

Did you expect the graphics of a new MMO? To me, that video is amazing. Realistic water, shadows, and light. They have already stated that they have redone the rocks and tree's, and added dynamic grass etc. This will be an amazing first step.

They are putting in a new engine. But they are still using the same 11 year old assets (for the most part). In the interview though, they did state that they could begin remaking some of the assets as time goes on. If this is true, AO will continually get better and better graphics wise. It is very exciting stuff.
    I expected more, sorry that upsets you. I don't have a problem with the current engine to be honest, I'd much rather have them express the pushout on the rebalance than this
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 27th, 2012 at 17:33:48. Reason: removed obscenities
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

I expected more, sorry that upsets you. I don't have a problem with the current engine to be honest, I'd much rather have them express the pushout on the rebalance than this

Nothing wrong with an opinion.

However, rebalancing the professions will just result in other classes being unbalanced. I doubt with so many professions there will ever be true balance.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 27th, 2012 at 17:33:58.
    Service (220 Doc ) : Putrefy (173 Shade) : Klench (162 Enf ) : Impiety (113 MP) : Immolater (76 Agent ) : Apprentice Pained (5 Advy)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing wrong with an opinion.

However, rebalancing the professions will just result in other classes being unbalanced. I doubt with so many professions there will ever be true balance.
    Yeah, IN MY OPINION, real balance is when a single profession has the ability to kill all the other professions with their specialzied toolset, even if it is by a close call.

I don't see this happening in AO.

Rebalance and engine are completely unrelated though.

And I personally don't think it looks like whatever it is you think it looks like. But then, I'm a huge fan of making old games playable with new technology. Nothing better than being able to load up Doom and play at native res and aspect ratio of a modern LCD monitor with 3D accelleration. Now, I'll be able to play AO too.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 27th, 2012 at 17:34:14.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Funcom employee

And that concludes the exclusive hosts for the video across the globe. You can always suggest the news to other portals as well of course!

Cheers,
    Waldgeist

"but I can't help but reveal to you something that we're working on that I am very excited about – our new player market! A browser based trade market, making it possible to buy and sell things to other players directly by utilizing the in game mail system. It will be available with the next update, and patch notes and release date is to be announced."

Woop! Now that is exciting news!

Glad to finally have the video out there. I just have one question: why's the skybox still the same? I think that was one of the things I was looking forward to most in the ogre video. The current one is really low-resolution >.<

Means said the one they used in the Ogre demo was a fake.
    The Red Brotherhood

"but I can't help but reveal to you something that we're working on that I am very excited about – our new player market! A browser based trade market, making it possible to buy and sell things to other players directly by utilizing the in game mail system. It will be available with the next update, and patch notes and release date is to be announced."

Woop! Now that is exciting news!

That is actually a surprise and pretty huge news.

Means said the one they used in the Ogre demo was a fake.
    Doesn't mean they can't make it real! Seriously though, I'd have been happy with just replacing the night sky with something higher rez. I imagine the cloud layers might take a bit more work but...unless AO's world building tools are that archaic it shouldn't take much more than an image swap.

Not to be a negative nancy or anything. I'm still happy for the changes, just concerned that the skybox will look out of place in the new engine.

Oh indeed it would be swell to have a better sky, but the Ogre one was just a backdrop. The AO sky with its 3D clouds and such probably takes more. But yea, better nightsky please. Just uber high res image.
    The Red Brotherhood

Talking Wow!!!!

This is amazing news! I've been out of AO for some time, due to lack of interest to continue and friends stopping to play. But by all that is holy I will sub up again when I see the launch date for the beta test server to get into it again.
    This is amazing, and thank you Lindelu and the rest of the crew for this! Almost brought tears to my eyes seeing a high-res Buckethead wandering around. :')
    RIP Thebun, you will be missed!

Characters ingame:

Thekicker, 220/23 MA http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=126010 (roughly final setup)
    Medicwarden, 220/27 http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=157683 current equip

This caught my attention in the MMORPG.com interview...

Quote Originally Posted by Lindelu
    And by the way – we are hiring!
    There is no way that Funcom would approve new hires if they intended to just "squeeze the community to the last dollar before this game dies" as some have claimed.

These interviews, the video, does show that they HAVE plans for AO's future in the short and long run.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Oh indeed it would be swell to have a better sky, but the Ogre one was just a backdrop. The AO sky with its 3D clouds and such probably takes more. But yea, better nightsky please. Just uber high res image.
    The real problem is that Ogre would require anyone working on it to follow a training course. While the current engine is already in production in AoC. Why IP 2HB after maxing 2HE ?

Even worse, AO is using very good techniques for weather, ground, world size, etc. Those are better then AOC, only very very dated and shaderless. Pushing them in Ogre would have probably required modifications to the engine itself in the end. (you'd be surprised but yea, newer games rely on smaller elements)
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast