Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Teasing engine-teaser is teasing

Imo having improved performance on the new engine is even more important than visual improvements to textures/lighting etc.
    Areas like newb isl (alien area) and the APF base have horrible FPS on my new laptop that is capable of playing new games (e.g. bf3) which have awesome graphics and playable framerates.

The engine needs to be made more efficient for modern PCs with multicore cpus and dedicated gpus. And I hope this will be the case.
    Last edited by Goose; Mar 27th, 2012 at 18:39:27.
    Nnivekccub lvl 220 Engineer
    Mongoose831 lvl 175+ leveling Agent
    Mongoose144 lvl 126 Agent
    Atheist tl4 leveling doc
    Platypus135 tl4 leveling sold

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    They're adding a new rendering engine to a 11 year old game, how did you ever come to expect something even close to modern MMOs? :|
    He didn't say anything like that, just that nothing in the video really made him go 'wow' and I'm sorta with him. Alot of that footage was just 2-3s of movement in the screenshot environments we have already seen so nothing was really new other than maybe seeing how the dust-fog worked in real time.

Anyway, I would have been excited about this release 3 years ago, not now though, I'm all burnt out on expectations and failed timeframes.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    He didn't say anything like that, just that nothing in the video really made him go 'wow' and I'm sorta with him. Alot of that footage was just 2-3s of movement in the screenshot environments we have already seen so nothing was really new other than maybe seeing how the dust-fog worked in real time.

Anyway, I would have been excited about this release 3 years ago, not now though, I'm all burnt out on expectations and failed timeframes.
    Oh, I agree, but in the context it's impressive.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I LOVED IT!

Great job Funcom.

Great video!
    Looks amazing

Bit too much teasing, not too much trailer! 1 minute, really?!

However, that minor gripe apart - Lots of interesting tidbits in teh interviews as well - I'm sold and will be reactivating my account to enjoy this
    I'm sure many others will also
    GJ
    Last edited by Forgetmenot; Mar 27th, 2012 at 19:10:48. Reason: Dog exploded
    Forgetmenot - TL3 Agent, RK2
    Future FrOOb buff slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    This caught my attention in the MMORPG.com interview...

There is no way that Funcom would approve new hires if they intended to just "squeeze the community to the last dollar before this game dies" as some have claimed.

These interviews, the video, does show that they HAVE plans for AO's future in the short and long run.
    Damn it, would've loved to try again, but I have a college degree, wouldn't pass the CV screening.

Quote Originally Posted by landdog View Post
    Damn it, would've loved to try again, but I have a college degree, wouldn't pass the CV screening.
    No, you're too expensive.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

The truth is that i was expecting a bit more for the video..
    but hell, got to be pleased that we got this much! Think that the marketing must have cut much out of it. Leving more for near future perhaps?

Anyways. As you mentioned there in the interview that you are upgrading cities textures next.
    Would like to sooo much (unless thats too much work at this time) to see little more depth in the buildings. For example the greek-like carvings in the omni buildings and some "living" light for example in the statue in the picture here.
    just some eye candy :P~
    Not quite the right forum section for this tho..

Oh! was nice to see what is coming in next(ish) patches! Good Job!
    Tepikeep 220 Keeper
    Teppox 220 Soldier
    Bohoo 220 Shade

Proud member of
    Northern Star

The ground in wartorn is fantastic.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Thumbs up

Looks great...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Imo having improved performance on the new engine is even more important than visual improvements to textures/lighting etc.
    Areas like newb isl (alien area) and the APF base have horrible FPS on my new laptop that is capable of playing new games (e.g. bf3) which have awesome graphics and playable framerates.

The engine needs to be made more efficient for modern PCs with multicore cpus and dedicated gpus. And I hope this will be the case.
    An added benefit is that once most of the players are running it, the AO designer team can actually work on improving the lower resolution resources from the game, which in time will improve the GFX quality.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

AO is not the only dx7 game that doen't run as it should on modern setups, im positive this will be overcomed in the dx9 upgrade, i usued to run AOC on DX10 all maxed out smoothly on raids and PVP but when it came to AO on tower wars...

Lindelu did say they will be releasing more videos at some point as the engine gets closer to completion. people crying that it is only 1 minute long need to look at how many 1 minute trailers tsw has had in the past couple years. the format is a funcom staple to drive up hype.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

I think I'm confused.

What was shown in this video that was not shown in the 2008 engine preview video?
    After watching the old preview video it actually looks more impressive than this teaser :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRmk0hZam7A

Also whats up with no shadows on that NPC, I really hope that isn't some closed mesh issue with the type of archaic shadow technology you may or may not be implementing :x

So far I've seen new water, new grass, post effects, and specular bump/normal mapped metal surfaces.
    I saw that in the old video, so what kind of progress has been made over the past 4 years then?
    Last edited by Helkus; Mar 27th, 2012 at 21:22:35. Reason: 2008

Video looks good as it is with the only drawback that it's not something coherent.

It's not easy to watch it since it's fragmented and look like something stitched together without an idea behind it. It would have worked very well to have it 30s longer and with 10-15s each scene.

Jumping between the screens each 2-5 seconds was a tad annoying for me.

For me, it lacked cohesion.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Helkus View Post
    I saw that in the old video, so what kind of progress has been made over the past 4 years then?
    This new video is made with the new engine (FC's own engine) while the old video was made on the Ogre engine (iirc) which they ditched in favor of their own.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Oh, I agree, but in the context it's impressive.
    No it is not impressive. Sixty six seconds of video that after you remove the FC logo crap left you with 40-45 seconds of video. Of which was broken and jumpy. Without pausing it you have a hard time really seeing any detail. For those of us that did not go to the last two birthday events this is the first footage we have seen of the new engine outside the 15 sec clip Means posted. So not impressive at all.

Yes it looks good. Yes it shows off some great things. But look at the endgame zones and really where are things like the water going to make my playing more visually appealing?

Also one of the interviews links sets my virus scanner off and is now being blocked. Top site in the list English interview link.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

I was say somethin not like but well just teaser so waitin another few years...
    Junfanlee 220/30 Martial Artist - Deranden 200 Froob Martial Artist
    Cyreidan 170/24/42 Adventurer - Daylate 110/12 Doctor
    Deraldon 100 Froob Fixer - Haroshan 90/9 Agent
    Deretham 65 Froob Enforcer - Malberan 36/4 Enforcer
    Forselling 25 Froob Trader - Talishon 21/2 Trader
    Forsidexp1 14 Froob Trader - Imwhoim 1 Froob Agent

President
    of Fist and Faith

lol....

We get promised a new video and it shows up two months late and at least two minutes short.

Why does this scenario seem familiar somehow........ Oh. Right

At least your string of failed promises are consistent, if nothing else is.
    Last edited by -Bugsplat; Mar 27th, 2012 at 22:55:51.
    Screwed over for the last time.

Go find a new game to play, this one no longer deserves respect.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast