Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Teasing engine-teaser is teasing

The video is classic Cube material but not exactly the best format for evaluating the new atmospherics. Hopefully another video soon showing off the character details (like the new pulsing glow in nanomage eyes) and cut scenes long enough to fully absorb the detail.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Tepinator View Post
    The truth is that i was expecting a bit more for the video..
    but hell, got to be pleased that we got this much! Think that the marketing must have cut much out of it. Leving more for near future perhaps?
    We're planning to have at least one more video before the engine goes beta, but we haven't scheduled anything specific. A few weeks ago in the Letter from the GD thread, I made the following caveat to a post:

**Going to add a caveat here, because I know someone is going to find a very small rock whose shadow appears mid-shot. Yes, there are a couple of minor visual artefacts you can pick out (which accurately represent the work-in-progress nature) if you watch the video enough times and/or you know what to look for and/or you are an incredibly perceptive person.

http://forums.anarchyonline.com/show...&postcount=227

So, consider the following three facts:

1. Since we're not done with the engine upgrade yet, obviously it has a number of known issues, and all the assets that we want to upgrade/refresh/re-do to utilize the new engine capabilities aren't completely done either
    2. Nothing in the video is faked -- it's all captured in the most recent version of the internal client at the time the footage was taken
    3. The video has a lot of different scenes, with different kinds of areas that have different kinds of intended visual styles

So I think given we've taken different scenes from different in-game areas, the video is a pretty fair horizontal slice of where we are at. Water tech works. Shadows and lighting has a few issues, but generally works. God-rays, moving grass, etc. We've also upgraded assets so they have normal and spec maps, higher poly models and higher resolution textures and this is an ongoing process. There is work to do on optimization and performance -- I think the footage was taken on the equivalent of a 4 year old gaming rig (so we are talking something like a dual core processor, 4GB of RAM, and an nvidia 8800 video card). But clearly it runs and we're in the right ballpark there, even though that's not necessarily going to be our target spec. Ideally we'll get the min spec as low as we can, and let players turn off various features in preferences to help us get there.

The point was to have an video that showed a representative cross-section of where we're at with the engine, in addition to fulfilling its intended PR purposes (which meant video itself needed to be short and snappy, and have the transition effects, and be synched up with a soundtrack and so forth).

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    Video looks good as it is with the only drawback that it's not something coherent.
    Yeah, but conversely I think if we showed a single zone that had a single visual style the charge would have been that's all we've done, and that the engine only works/looks decent there.

Are there any plans to allow community made High-res content to be added in the future?
    Since we have so many passionate people its a matter of time for a "third party high res pack" to pop up.

This video to me, is a huge disappointment. It is jerky, hard to follow, and extremely short. While the environments that you can make out do seem to be rather nice, the problem is that this tiny little teaser has come after years and YEARS of work. I, for one, will be extremely surprised if the graphics update is actually released this year, and would be pleased if it were released any time during 2013, because the shenanigans of the dev team regarding substantial updates to this game have simply caused me to lose any and all confidence I had in them.

I'm worried that the graphics update and (if they ever get to it) rebalance, will be a classic example of Too little, Too late. The population has plummeted to just the core group of veterans, guild wars 2, a top notch mmo with massive character customization (one of the hallmarks of AO) will be releasing within 2 or 3 months, and I feel that there simply might not be enough left to revive this game, because of the stupid amount of heel-dragging that the dev team has been doing with the gfx and the rebalance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroatheist View Post
    ....guild wars 2, a top notch mmo with massive character customization (one of the hallmarks of AO) will be releasing within 2 or 3 months....
    I don't remember GW being allowing you to "customize" your char in the level of what AO does.
    After that i agree with you, this video looks like one of those "Call of Duty" teaser trailers with 4-5 short scenes being thrown at you at light speed.

Front Page. New Professions listing. I CAN HAZ MEK SOOT PET?!? Other than that thanks for making me feel bad for killing all those Bucketheads. And keep us Neuts as they were described in "Prophet..." Or we'll take you outside. And pull faces at you. Fankew.
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by heilt-do View Post
    I don't remember GW being allowing you to "customize" your char in the level of what AO does.
    After that i agree with you, this video looks like one of those "Call of Duty" teaser trailers with 4-5 short scenes being thrown at you at light speed.
    http://www.arena.net/blog/play-your-...and-attributes

Traits and attributes are what make GW2 as customizable as AO, if not more so. From looking at the press beta weekend videos, where they displayed the traits and stuff, the amount of customization there is mind-bogglingly massive.

Nice video.

Now that it's had it's marketing touch applied, any chance of getting a post with the collection of unedited segments for us to pour over?
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Quote Originally Posted by Zeephonz View Post
    Nice video.

Now that it's had it's marketing touch applied, any chance of getting a post with the collection of unedited segments for us to pour over?
    This is what should be released for your CURRENT players... not past or prospective players.
    Screwed over for the last time.

Go find a new game to play, this one no longer deserves respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindelu
    That, and the fact that it allows you to make any type of character you want, as we try to avoid level and profession locks as much as possible, so the only limit of your greatness is your imagination.
    just noticed this in the mmorpg interview. haven't laughed this hard in a long while.

1). ok good video, good job done with a global advertise, TOP

but

Who should I show this video now ?
    to one or all of my friends ?
    and Why !
    my friends they laugh spiteful when they hear that monthly subscribe cost 17,19€
    they turn in the chair away from me and put the headset on
    to play a new 10 € monthly subscribe game.

2). do this subscribe thing too, to a good job

and

Bring back Eponyx find a way to get him back to the ARK after 10 years and 10 month of free work from him.
    over the years the ARK change to a point where they have no rights to do anything !

Hey whassup i thought after sending a lost item petition
    "Eponyx the Bughunter Director of Testlife"
    visits me to work on my petition
    great i thought into the fist moment a good old known friend and high rank ark commes to help me
    to get back my questet "This Means Corner Couch"
    Epo found it "happy"
    Epo cant give me the item "cO"
    He got no ARK rights to spawn me any of this items he found into his tool
    he only can set my petition higher for a GM
    A GM who never played AO got rights to paint the clouds pink and a
    cost free supporter from beginning can only make a lightshow
    "SHAME"

Thanks for all the stuff you've done for us Epo !

3). think about the Support

OK this two points left

... .. . . . cant believe it... they let Epo go

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Yeah, but conversely I think if we showed a single zone that had a single visual style the charge would have been that's all we've done, and that the engine only works/looks decent there.
    I wasn't meaning the choice of zones. They are perfect and the way the dust storm (if that's what it is) looks in combination with the god-rays for some of the RK wasteland scenery, that's simply awesome.

I really liked how the buzzsaw mob was outlined against the dust and how you could see the folds on the scavenger's robe.

Only gripe is that the takes on each scene should have been 3-4 seconds longer. Not to necessarily show more while moving, but to just let people have a better look. The camera could have been slowed down and pan left/right for a bit before moving forward to the next scene.

But, for a teaser it looks fine.

Do you have an idea on the chances to get another teaser video within the next month?

EDIT: can we keep that rock as it is just as a reminder of how AO looked back in the day? We could make it a shrine to the former AO engine.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    just noticed this in the mmorpg interview. haven't laughed this hard in a long while.
    Yeah, that's some weapons-grade marketing nonsense right there
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Love the comments in the interviews regarding boundless diversity, when creating your toon. Please
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

what was that "duct taping skill to improve armor" thing?
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

From the mmorpg.com interview:
    Once we've switched over, we will continue to support both clients for a transitional period, to give people time to migrate to the new engine. During this period, the existing engine will still be available as a fallback, just in case we need to fix issues we can only find when we release the engine into the wild.
    Well, the bad news is all the loyal customers who've been playing AO solely because it's the only game their 1998 IBM's can run are crap out of luck. Better mow some lawns or kiss AO bye-bye.

The good news is if your computer was built in 2004 or later, you're safe.

Seriously, best bet right now is to focus on revamping gameplay, because anyone who left AO because of outdated graphics and animations isn't going to come running back for slightly less outdated graphics and the same stilted outdated animations.

The whole "upgraded graphics will bring all the players back" thing that many seemingly deluded people keep clinging to is a fallacy. The majority of people didn't leave AO because of the graphics. This excuse is nothing but a crutch for loyal fans to hold on to, and they're welcome to cling to it if it makes them feel better. But the majority of people play games for the gameplay. And anyone who disagrees with that can kindly look at the millions alone playing Runescape, not to mention the millions playing Minecraft and even old fashioned text based MUDS.

Edit: Also, this was hilarious:
    We’ve had an extremely popular, time-unlimited, Free-to-Play program available for many years now, offering access to Classic Anarchy Online, set on the planet of Rubi-Ka.
    "Extremely popular" would indicate we shouldn't be hearing crickets chirping every time we log on.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Mar 28th, 2012 at 08:34:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyroatheist View Post
    http://www.arena.net/blog/play-your-...and-attributes

Traits and attributes are what make GW2 as customizable as AO, if not more so. From looking at the press beta weekend videos, where they displayed the traits and stuff, the amount of customization there is mind-bogglingly massive.
    Pales in comparison with The Secret World :| AO can't keep up next to the evolution of itself.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    From the mmorpg.com interview:

Well, the bad news is all the loyal customers who've been playing AO solely because it's the only game their 1998 IBM's can run are crap out of luck. Better mow some lawns or kiss AO bye-bye.

The good news is if your computer was built in 2004 or later, you're safe.

Seriously, best bet right now is to focus on revamping gameplay, because anyone who left AO because of outdated graphics and animations isn't going to come running back for slightly less outdated graphics and the same stilted outdated animations.

The whole "upgraded graphics will bring all the players back" thing that many seemingly deluded people keep clinging to is a fallacy. The majority of people didn't leave AO because of the graphics. This excuse is nothing but a crutch for loyal fans to hold on to, and they're welcome to cling to it if it makes them feel better. But the majority of people play games for the gameplay. And anyone who disagrees with that can kindly look at the millions alone playing Runescape, not to mention the millions playing Minecraft and even old fashioned text based MUDS
    Probably a major issue is that people can't actually run the game at all. Old puters don't run the game very well. New ones don't run it very well, if at all. Especially problematic is when you can play WoW and Rift at 60fps, but AO runs at 15. Doesn't really matter much how the game looks, what matters is that it runs, and runs well. I don't think that upgraded graphics will bring much of anyone back or get new people to play. No doubt the old people who come back will take one look and go "lol this is what we waited 8 years for?" and then never log in again.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

i think it will bring a lot of players back, but if the gameplay stays the same they will leave immediatly again. so the whole revamp of game mechanics (balancing) is very important
    220 Agent + :: 220 Doctor + :: 220 Soldier + :: 220 Enforcer + :: 220 Bureaucrat + :: 217 Adventurer + :: 217 Trader + :: 159 Engineer :: 112 Fixer

Inferno Travelguides

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast