Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    no. ao is written entirely on punchcards.
    I have programmed punchtape after the year 2000. I am not kidding. There are some very old milling machines still in operation which have a punchtape reader as their only interface to the outside world.
    For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Instanced cities will not be removed, nor are there any plans to remove these in the future.

Also note, outdoor cities will not be disabled with the next patch.
    They will continue to function as they are now minus some market functionality.
    Will it atleast still work as a holder for items internally? Right now the easy things like crystals of the source get distributed to orgmembers via the function of showing it only to orgmembers using GMs.
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHN2006 View Post
    Nice positive answer that makes me feel good all over, Why do you have to be so rude.
    Likely because you admitted that you're not really trying. If you ask a question without even trying to see if the question has already been answered then you have to be ready for comments like that. (Tip: search is your friend.)
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Likely because you admitted that you're not really trying. If you ask a question without even trying to see if the question has already been answered then you have to be ready for comments like that. (Tip: search is your friend.)
    So from what I understand both RK-1 and RK-2 are just being moved to a new server but neither one is being done away with? Does that means there will be 2 instances on one server but no lost toons? I'm not sure I got that out of Lindelus remarks. It seems like everything is going on to one server and the 2 instances are being merged. That would mean that if you have toons on both instances you would have to pick which ones to keep.

Instanced cities will not be removed, nor are there any plans to remove these in the future.

Also note, outdoor cities will not be disabled with the next patch.
    They will continue to function as they are now minus some market functionality.
    I'm not worried about instanced cities I'm worried about what you are going to do with the outdoor cities. That is what we have.

Funcom employee

I'm not worried about instanced cities I'm worried about what you are going to do with the outdoor cities. That is what we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    once we're ready to migrate to a new server we're going to disable the outdoor cities
    That

So from what I understand both RK-1 and RK-2 are just being moved to a new server but neither one is being done away with? Does that means there will be 2 instances on one server but no lost toons? I'm not sure I got that out of Lindelus remarks. It seems like everything is going on to one server and the 2 instances are being merged. That would mean that if you have toons on both instances you would have to pick which ones to keep.
    Atlantean and Rimor will be merged together to a new server. This server will have the combined population of the old 2 servers.
    We have yet to announce what will happen with regards to character slots and such, but your characters will not be removed, even if you play on both servers.

Again, note this won't be happening with 18.5 and detailed announcements regarding this will be made in due time.
    Don't panic
    Last edited by Vhab; Apr 1st, 2012 at 18:58:12.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

It seems like everything is going on to one server and the 2 instances are being merged. That would mean that if you have toons on both instances you would have to pick which ones to keep.
    The 2 current dimensions are being merged into a new single dimension on a new server. What hasn't been clarified is whether or not players will have an increased number of slots available in the new arrangement to allow for having more than 8 toons on an account. I doubt if that will affect the majority of players but for those that are affected having a greater number - maybe 12 - slots per account would save hardship.

ahh this is breaking good news I have always hated the outdoor cities. The reason for my opinion is that the cities are ruining the view of different looking areas. They are so laggy and simple. And where do we really need these cities? Almost each of them are owned by a dead org or an org that has one or two active players. I really prefer the orginal landscape than a mishmash with no point or reason. I understand if the leaders of some orgs dont see with me but this really is good for a great majority of players, for us. Horray

Atlantean and Rimor will be merged together to a new server. This server will have the combined population of the old 2 servers.
    We have yet to announce what will happen with regards to character slots and such, but your characters will not be removed, even if you play on both servers.

Again, note this won't be happening with 18.5 and detailed announcements regarding this will be made in due time.
    Don't panic
    Thank you for the clarification
    However it does imply we will be getting some number of additional character slots, perhaps not the full compliment ... but some number more.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    I feel your pain. My org has gone through a few cities.
    Right now I own MD City in PM, a SI city for MD Academy (froob/lowbie), and a third SI city for my own personal raiding to make creds on my spare time. MD & MDA have saunas.

With the changes to GMS and the Market system, there is no longer a need for real cities. Everyone wanted a real city because a Serenity Islands city can't hold a market. That won't be the case anymore.

I think Funcom will reimburse "a city" per active org, and maybe "a sauna" for those that have them. However, I don't think they will reimburse the original cost of the old plots or the upkeep.

What is most likely to happen is this.

You lose a city on RK.
    You gain a city with the same buildings & benefits in SI (minus Market).

A SI city upkeep is about 45-50M a month, which is very affordable to most orgs compared to the RK cities.

I would love for Funcom to consider expanding the SI plot a bit more to allow ALL buildings to fit (including the Sidewalk Cafe and Sky Bar).

There is a possibility that because of this change, we may all end up in QL 300 cities (most active orgs have this anyways) which is the best possible compensation for the minor inconvenience we'll go through.

On a personal level, I'm glad they are removing the cities, they never really fit the classic AO look, they were all almost identical regardless of faction.

What some may not see is that now there will be more room for Funcom and the Devs to add content on Rubi-ka itself, without hundreds of cities cluttering the whole landscape.

Imagine.

Coast of Peace.
    Coast of Tranquility.
    3 Craters East.
    3 Craters West.

Four entire playfields which were mainly made just to hold cities... now all open and clear, great potential for new content.
    Why do you think only 'active' orgs will be reimbursed for their city? Any city with the rent paid on a consistent basis should be reimbursed, not only those that meet some definition of 'active'. I would guess that FC will reimburse every outdoor city owner in some fashion. Not every credit spent over the years ofc.

My preference would be to simply move our outdoor city as-is into an instanced city. 40-45m may be the rent for an instanced city I don't know, I don't have one to be able to confirm. However, my org only pays 22m rent for our outdoor city and we would prefer to not have our rent doubled.
    I would hope that however FC procedes with the movement of all the outdoor cities to become instanced cities that there is some provision for I-city plots of different sizes and bldg choices.

For example: Make the smallest plots big enough for large HQ, grid, sm cloak, sauna, and one more larger bldg ... Medium plots have room for two larger bldgs, Large plots have room for all bldgs.

As I mentioned in an earlier post ... it would also be nice if there was an "Entry/Access" system developed that allowed access by choosing the I-city you want to go to from a listing, either from in the grid or from a terminal in the major cities, instead of the current temp "key" system.

Of course it would be nice if all our rents went down ... Or the fees collected from the new market system go to each respective org whether they have a city or not.

Kinnik
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; Apr 1st, 2012 at 19:37:35. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by -Bugsplat View Post
    People need to remember that the levels leading to 220 are not simply a means to an end.
    Agree 100%...
    Last edited by Mekh; Apr 1st, 2012 at 20:43:29. Reason: dasm autocorrect
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    When I mention active, I mean a city which has an active owner or members. Someone who has a city just for personal raids to make creds, IS an active owner. However at this time, there may be some dead orgs with cities out there, but because the /org bank can sustain the upkeep for months (maybe years depending on amount) who would they reimburse if they owner has not logged in for a long time?

Also, if the reimbursement process requires the city owner to log-in for a limited time to be able to receive his/her "new city" in compensation for the old... what if the inactive owner doesn't log in for another 6 months, past the possible deadline?

Regarding upkeep, yes you do have a point. If someone is paying 22M for a large QL 300 city and then get an identical one in SI it does seem a bit unfair to double the upkeep.

Maybe we could suggest that all instance cities have a flat upkeep of 25-30 million that everyone can be happy with.

I think having different size instance cities, would add even more work to a process which I see already taking quite a bit of effort. I think it would be easier to just expand the current instance plot to allow the placement of every single building possible.

Regarding the issue with "keys", that was likely made so that nobody who is not invited to a city doesn't get in. Private city raids or other events where an org (or owner) only wants certain people involved should remain so. Considering the keys take 15mins to expire that gives plenty of time for anyone to take a step inside a door at ICC which most players have easy access to.

At this time orgs with markets don't get to worry about upkeep, but with the coming changes I'm unsure as to how the /org bank will increase without flat out asking members to drop creds into it, or enforcing a /org tax which almost every org I'm aware of... hates.

Will the new global market have an option where you can donate a percentage to your org bank?

18.5.0 is going to be a game changer for sure.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    However at this time, there may be some dead orgs with cities out there, but because the /org bank can sustain the upkeep for months (maybe years depending on amount) who would they reimburse if they owner has not logged in for a long time?
    Put the creds back in the org bank?

I think having different size instance cities, would add even more work to a process which I see already taking quite a bit of effort. I think it would be easier to just expand the current instance plot to allow the placement of every single building possible.
    Easier, of course. But also rudely insulting to people who already have cities they wouldn't trade for anything. I love my city specifically because its layout is so unique.

Instanced cities are way too cookie-cutter. Every city is the same size. the same ground layout. All you can do different to any extent is building layout, and even that's not very flexible.

If they're not willing to put in that extra effort, then it should all just be left alone.

Regarding the issue with "keys", that was likely made so that nobody who is not invited to a city doesn't get in. Private city raids or other events where an org (or owner) only wants certain people involved should remain so. Considering the keys take 15mins to expire that gives plenty of time for anyone to take a step inside a door at ICC which most players have easy access to.
    There are much better ways to do this than those ridiculous traded keys to enter a single friggin door.
    Because Race Yalm

Instead of adding more expansions carelessly into the existing game I think they should work on making AO a more cohesive experience based on the three realms; Rubi-Ka, Aliens and Shaddowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Dear Kite Hill,

I will not make such a promise, although, if we ever do touch your hecklers we will first offer you something else.

-love, Lindelu
    I hope you nerf kite/ost a little and make team-leveling more fun again!

Said it a lot before, but the items/nanos are the main part of the professions. 2day people just do dailies/kite/ost without producing loot, so I think creating team-content with huge lootables would do good.

SL-statics, pen-missions/Inf-missions/the 10+ring-encounter...it is all the same dungeon repatched diferently with the same monsters and the same end-encounter. I really hope you make the leveling-experience more up to date and social, while ensuring your godlike item-database is still produced into the gameworld
    Last edited by leetlover; Apr 1st, 2012 at 21:32:01.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

There are times when I see devs taking a fast easy route instead of considering minorities and putting in a bit more effort.
    S10 was nerfed for only partially stated reasons without any consideration for players who put a lot of their hard earned creds into s10 twinks.
    Pet hunt and auto attack are being totally eliminated despite their usefullness in order to solve a problem when a bit more effort could solve the problem without messing up other things.
    Eliminating outdoor cities solves the problem regarding the server merge but leaves a minority who love their cities disaffected.
    My opinion is that the major reason AO has lost so many people is a failure to listen to people who are paying to play the game and communicate with them.
    My guess is that the people who care most about the game are the ones who appear on the forum and communicate. Perhaps some did and gave up with the lack of response but it does now seem that you are listening and responding.
    I found Means somewhat arrogant and condescending but don't see that behaviour with Lindelu so I'm hopeful for the future :-)
    Vhab is doing good in bridging communication too :-)
    As far as I'm concerned the new engine and rebalancing are low priorities compared to the new player experience but I can see that they are needed for promotion.

Nice read, great to see some heavier changes are coming.

And props to getting rid of non-instanced player cities. Their implementation always seemed a bit sour. Hopefully the landscape will be remodelled to not include them?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

If you state "oh but there are other options they can consider" and don't list those options... where is the point?

Let's try positive criticism where we either point out other options posted by others, or share our own suggestions.

I think Funcom would be more willing to listen that way.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

wind - is that a response to me or someone else? please state to whom you are responding.

Nice update. First I am happy with - seems fair and true, so its okay!

Crossdimensional sale sounds risky to me, due to influence to the economy. Yet, it will be easier to xfer toon there, if somone wishes to do so. And YAY! for aura change - no more crat hugging w/o teaming him. I like that!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

So the disabled outdoor cities then become cookie cutter instanced cities on the new server with no character no shops and no individuality. How boring...

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast