Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHN2006 View Post
    So the disabled outdoor cities then become cookie cutter instanced cities on the new server with no character no shops and no individuality. How boring...
    Because they have so much character and individuality now.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    Because they have so much character and individuality now.
    Mine sure does.
    Because Race Yalm

Whenever I flew by PBF's cities I could always tell by the decorating.

So the disabled outdoor cities then become cookie cutter instanced cities on the new server with no character no shops and no individuality. How boring...
    All cities were almost identical, where was the diversity? Also they all had that "metal" look which did not match any RK architecture at all. There was no real "individuality", there was different plot sizes which limited the number of buildings... but the structures themselves were "cookie cutter" regardless of which faction owned it.

By removing the player cities, we get back the pre-AI Rubi-Ka landscape which I feel fits the game better.

Once the RK player cities are gone, there is potential for new things. New locations for dungeons, quests, new areas where froobs can level, etc.

It was mentioned (I believe) that they'd look into an alternative for the convenience that player cities provided with their whompas, so there is a possibility for something new to the added to the game regarding that as well.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    wind - is that a response to me or someone else? please state to whom you are responding.
    Was aimed at MajorOutage, and anyone else who states in general that there are other options, but don't mention them.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Was aimed at MajorOutage, and anyone else who states in general that there are other options, but don't mention them.
    Derp again
    Because Race Yalm

also, can I get a cool hat....ya know like an engineers hat?

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    2) We are removing auto attack.
    Only removing auto attack on monsters correct?

God people actually liked those ugly as sin outdoor cities ruining our view of rk?
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Apr 2nd, 2012 at 00:56:23.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    Only removing auto attack on monsters correct?
    Which one you think it would be?

Biggest issue with it was how it was enabled by default... Still, fair game, next is auto-target I believe ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Once the RK player cities are gone, there is potential for new things. New locations for dungeons, quests, new areas where froobs can level, etc.
    Do you really believe that RK player cities are the thing that's been stopping them from introducing such areas?

Quote Originally Posted by BytEfLUSh2 View Post
    Do you really believe that RK player cities are the thing that's been stopping them from introducing such areas?
    I never said that was the reason it stopped them from doing that, I think the Devs have had their plates full for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    - A suggestion on the whole 'org city building replacement' issue for server merge. I'm not sure how complicated this would be to implement but. When its time for the server merge/migration/whatever you could do the following:
    * Change it so that only the President (top tier rank) can delete building in an org city
    * Upon having the President of an organization blow up a building, the building item would automatically spawn in their inventory. In other words, I go to the org city, delete my grid.. a grid building appears in my inventory, I delete the Sauna.. a sauna appears and so on.
    * Upon deletion of the org HQ by the president, not only does a HQ appear in the president's inventory but also a bounty item appears in the president's inventory as well (one bounty item type for instanced and a different one for non-instanced).
    * This bounty item can be turned in to a NPC for either a static credit value or for a new city. Obviously the credit value for an instanced city would be equivalent to the purchase value of a new instanced city (maybe +1 months upkeep) while the credit value for a non-instanced would be more than that (maybe value of instanced city purchase +5/6 months upkeep) to represent the investment many put into player to player purchases of their cities. If you turn the bounties in to the NPC for a new city you'd get an instanced city with 1 free month or (in the case of the non-instanced city bounties) you'd get 5 or 6 months free upkeep.
    *I would also suggest making the city bounty items tradeable.
    I want to bump something I said early on in this thread and also provide some additional explanation why I feel the above makes sense.

With a server merge, we will probably see a lot of changes in organizations. I would expect to see quite a few org mergers or at the very least a lot of restructuring (some orgs have multiple off shoots). I think that allowing people to easily make the choice of whether or not to setup a new org city (versus an easy 'cash out' option) would facilitate people doing something new on the new server versus falling into the trap of the same old thing. I really hope Funcom considers something similar to the above.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

as the leader of one of the older orgs on RK1, news that the player cities are being removed is a tad disheartening to say the least.
    Several years ago, our org bonded together and worked diligently to gather the funds necessary to purchase and build our city. this is something that drove our org together for a purpose and still rings as a fond memory to those of us that were part of it.

anyway, since we have little input on this, I won't waste time in ranting, but I'd like to add a few suggestions though based on the notes shared

1- City issue: simple. give each org an instanced city, rates the same as their current city, will all buildings and benefits

2- Since we're losing a commodity, as in the city wompahs used by many in their travels, why not add strategically placed grid access points for accessing the grid, not exiting, to help compensate for this.

3- loss of the player shop. the 2 week timeout should be nerfed. some players are not daily gamers and this could lead to them losing revenue they expected to earn while out of game.
    Plugsz
    President, Newcomers Alliance 220/30/70 Gun Advy RK1
    Advy Guns since day 1 and damn proud of it
    Manguyver's Foremans/Biomare Services services on pause for now

Hardcorree 200/30/67 Bringing DD and off-tanking to a battle near you.

Disabling cities should be like a major story arc where the aliens break through and blow them up
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Disabling cities should be like a major story arc where the aliens break through and blow them up
    We should settle for nothing short of a medium-sized apocalypse where aliens suddenly invade the entire RK.

ICC and Omni-Tek have to appeal to Unicorns and Vanguards to pacify things with all player toons being collateral victims and instantly sent to reclaim (nothing permanent) whether they're in AI cities or the cities/outposts spread over the map (main cities come to mind - Borealis, Athens, West Athens, the 3 Rome cities, Entertainment and Trade).

This is due to aliens using a moon-sized energy frequency resonator to disrupt AI city electronics. However, this will generate a giant backlash that will spread through all whompahs and travel in Shadowlands as well.

This is most unfortunate since the backlash will be further amplified by the Xan technology creating a huge notum-enhanced shock wave. The wave will spread from Jobe throughout all discovered Shadowlands areas. This temporary disturbance will affect all biological life forms and all players caught in the backlash will be reclaimed.

...In time, this can be further expanding into modifying the mobs to make them meaner or replacing some of them with other kind of creatures as well...

While all outdoor cities are completely wiped, the aliens manage to get a hold of some former city plots and create outposts. These are pocket zones where they being to reverse or alter the previous terraforming work.

Unicorn starts investigating these areas and discovers a variation of the aliens found in the Neretva canyons or Arid rift. Alien scout waves are regularly sent towards the terraformed areas in an attempt to reverse the process and prepare it for alien colonization. Unicorns are somewhat overwhelmed and ask all factions for help thus collaborating with Omni-Tek, Vanguards and ICC.

These sites are quarantined and players could go there and stop the waves from reversing the terraforming efforts. Limited playfields with escalation spread across various TLs - example:

- TL2 players could go together and enter such pockets where they'll fight mobs starting from level 20 up to level 80 - the alien level will gradually increase as you progress through waves and advance towards the objective.

The main objective would be to either kill some specific mobs (Engineers that operate the distorter) or the field distorter itself.

Also, all AI cities are relocated in Serenity Island.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Yep - that need a story. I agree.

What bugs me with cities at first: what will be with city adventages? Most twinks are based around them, especially low/mid lvl ones. Those need to stay or there must be somekind of reinburse for that (like Alien Device for Abilities, CL, Nano Costs for Utils/HUDS/Wrist option)

Besides I LOVE that cities are gone - Rubi-Ka lost so much of it feel when player cities were poping on landscape. To bad that some orgs WASTED so much money to pay upkeep (some orgs lost over 3 bils, which aint that low...)
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post

What bugs me with cities at first: what will be with city adventages? Most twinks are based around them, especially low/mid lvl ones. Those need to stay or there must be somekind of reinburse for that (like Alien Device for Abilities, CL, Nano Costs for Utils/HUDS/Wrist option)
    Instanced cities - you still can use them for benefits.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Yep - that need a story. I agree.

Besides I LOVE that cities are gone - Rubi-Ka lost so much of it feel when player cities were poping on landscape. To bad that some orgs WASTED so much money to pay upkeep (some orgs lost over 3 bils, which aint that low...)
    I am certain that instanced cities will still be available, so all the twink stuff from cities will continue to exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    We should settle for nothing short of a medium-sized apocalypse where aliens suddenly invade the entire RK.

ICC and Omni-Tek have to appeal to Unicorns and Vanguards to pacify things with all player toons being collateral victims and instantly sent to reclaim (nothing permanent) whether they're in AI cities or the cities/outposts spread over the map (main cities come to mind - Borealis, Athens, West Athens, the 3 Rome cities, Entertainment and Trade).

This is due to aliens using a moon-sized energy frequency resonator to disrupt AI city electronics. However, this will generate a giant backlash that will spread through all whompahs and travel in Shadowlands as well.

This is most unfortunate since the backlash will be further amplified by the Xan technology creating a huge notum-enhanced shock wave. The wave will spread from Jobe throughout all discovered Shadowlands areas. This temporary disturbance will affect all biological life forms and all players caught in the backlash will be reclaimed.

...In time, this can be further expanding into modifying the mobs to make them meaner or replacing some of them with other kind of creatures as well...

While all outdoor cities are completely wiped, the aliens manage to get a hold of some former city plots and create outposts. These are pocket zones where they being to reverse or alter the previous terraforming work.

Unicorn starts investigating these areas and discovers a variation of the aliens found in the Neretva canyons or Arid rift. Alien scout waves are regularly sent towards the terraformed areas in an attempt to reverse the process and prepare it for alien colonization. Unicorns are somewhat overwhelmed and ask all factions for help thus collaborating with Omni-Tek, Vanguards and ICC.

These sites are quarantined and players could go there and stop the waves from reversing the terraforming efforts. Limited playfields with escalation spread across various TLs - example:

- TL2 players could go together and enter such pockets where they'll fight mobs starting from level 20 up to level 80 - the alien level will gradually increase as you progress through waves and advance towards the objective.

The main objective would be to either kill some specific mobs (Engineers that operate the distorter) or the field distorter itself.

This is a good idea.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post

Woot. Nice thinking.
    Account frozen: Ornaola - 220/30 Opifex MA

"New account": Ornaolla - 220/18 trox MA

Yes im back, lol. Nerf addiction.

Re player cities. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that the rents on a great many cities will be over DOUBLED when forced to go instanced. Some of use chose our cities wisely, for those kind of reasons. Any word on THAT little gem FC?

I see it now on the last pages. Still a valid concern over rents tho.
    Last edited by Aiken; Apr 2nd, 2012 at 13:00:59.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast