Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Expand the tower mechanic. It's superior to player cities as it concerns itself with internal game mechanics, does not require patches to make changes to what it represents in the world, does have an actual impact on gameplay instead of just random occurances once in a while (which was basically patched out anyway) and allows for player interaction that isn't screaming at you for not doing whatever it is they think you should do.
    But I hate PVP!
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

EDIT: not gonna push my luck.
    Last edited by Lazy; Apr 2nd, 2012 at 20:55:28.

Give me the rebalance or give me death
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Interesting changes, if you can pull it all off within 'a reasonable time frame' then you've already left the previous Game Directors in the dust.

And about the GUI issue, you're either crazy or extremely brave. But I'm glad to see someone finally willing to deal with this. I don't envy the programmers though.
    I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I say.

Expanding on Masta's suggestion, provide greater enhancements to org benefits and possibly extra buildings in addition, to orgs who dare to allow their city to be attackable in PvP, since it might be an extension of the tower field in itself.

Yes I'm a PvM player who has rarely ever participated in PvP but I am a believer that PvPers should be rewarded above and beyond a PvMer for participating in said events.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauh View Post
    Bump for this to be answered. This will def. be a big issue.
    No, it's called tough luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Maybe they'll reduce the price. Maybe there's so much money in AO that it doesn't matter that a few "orgs" go bankrupt?
    Who cares who has money? Some will go bankrupt?

Adapt or perish.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post

Atlantean and Rimor will be merged together to a new server. This server will have the combined population of the old 2 servers.)
    I sincerely hope I've missed the part where a fresh start server with NO transfers allowed will also be available when the game is "relaunched". Otherwise, you might as well forget about keeping new players when they see they have no chance in hell of competing against two combined servers of years long vets with bazillions of creds controlling the grossly inflated economy.

I'm curious, what happens during the server merge if someone on RK2 has the same name as someone on RK1? Do they both keep the name? Does the person who had the name the longest keep it, but the other has to rename?

(sorry if this was answered elsewhere, did not see it).

Also, to expand upon the restructuring of org cities. I think it would awesome to put a similar system in place that Age of Conan uses. Let us upgrade the walls and defenses (more guards, etc), and make them a pvp area as well. Possibly have lower number of plots around the world, but every so often they are attackable. This will add a new pvp element into the game with a pretty substantial benefit.

More people would be inclined to do world pvp if they would get city benefits as a result. (plus it would be harder to own 3-6 cities by yourself, if you didnt have the entire org to help you defend it). Constantly rotating city owners (With more venues of pvp) is better than 5 cities controlled by the same person imo.
    Service (220 Doc ) : Putrefy (173 Shade) : Klench (162 Enf ) : Impiety (113 MP) : Immolater (76 Agent ) : Apprentice Pained (5 Advy)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Ex-ShadowMercs, Ex-Awakening, Ex-Legion, Ex-Orbitek,)

Quote Originally Posted by Service View Post
    Also, to expand upon the restructuring of org cities.
    They are going to remove cities from the landscape, only instanced cities will be available as far as I can tell from the information released so far.

So the restructuring is.. remove the eyesore of the dozens of players cities across the whole game which look practically identically to each other.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Stuff about outdoor cities
    I really like the sound of that, and look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

In the meantime, I truly hope you can address the glaring issues with the current implementation of instanced cities before we all get forced to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    They are going to remove cities from the landscape, only instanced cities will be available as far as I can tell from the information released so far.

So the restructuring is.. remove the eyesore of the dozens of players cities across the whole game which look practically identically to each other.
    ON THE NEW SERVER. Important point to be made here.

It really doesn't sound like you read Ilaliya's post at all anyway...
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Apr 3rd, 2012 at 01:33:47.
    Because Race Yalm

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post

Apparently now, they're only temporarily removing the cities:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    We're going to do something with outdoor player cities. It just has to wait until at least after the new player experience is out for us to schedule any serious work there.

Honestly, speaking as a gamer ever since I played UO if someone asked me "what's the coolest hypothetical feature in an MMO" my answer would be some variant on outdoor non-instanced player cities/housing. Something that players could build out in the wilderness, in order to feel ownership over a piece of the game-world. It's about taking what is otherwise some random piece of terrain and whatever mobs happen to spawn there, and building something that is yours and calling that place home.

So I am extremely passionate about an outdoor city feature, and it's not something we're going to do away with.

Head scratching

no one talks about the interviews ?!

http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/an...-8833/seite-4/

Fia Tjernberg, Game Director:
    Two new areas are being built right as we speak, where you will master your chosen profession and take a stand in the conflict between Omni-Tek – An intergalactic hyper corporation and the Clans – The rebels of Rubi-Ka. You'll get to drive hovercraft vehicles, customize implants, loot a massive amount of stuff, use duct-taping skills to improve your equipment, duel your friends - and much much more!

Hovercraft
    duct-taping skills ?!

more input...

Quote Originally Posted by Brampfine View Post
    Hovercraft
    I assumed they meant phasefront bikes.
    Because Race Yalm

Quote Originally Posted by Brampfine View Post
    Head scratching

no one talks about the interviews ?!

http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/an...-8833/seite-4/

Fia Tjernberg, Game Director:
    Two new areas are being built right as we speak, where you will master your chosen profession and take a stand in the conflict between Omni-Tek – An intergalactic hyper corporation and the Clans – The rebels of Rubi-Ka. You'll get to drive hovercraft vehicles, customize implants, loot a massive amount of stuff, use duct-taping skills to improve your equipment, duel your friends - and much much more!

Hovercraft
    duct-taping skills ?!

more input...
    In other words, the same stuff the current newb island has with implants and vehicles thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorOutage View Post
    I assumed they meant phasefront bikes.
    Doubtful they're going to give away paid content in a newbie area. More likely the ground vehicles noone in their right mind drives in the game.

Or, as more befitting "hovercraft", the water vehicles noone in their right mind uses in the game.

I'd laugh my ass off if they had newbies IP'ing Vehicle Water. ROFL
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Apr 3rd, 2012 at 05:22:06.

I wonder... for all the shops that will be torn down, what will happen to all the items that are in them? Will they just sit in non-existent terminals and forever rot? Or will the items appear in a backpack in the players' inventory?

I mean, some people probably won't be able to clean out and close their shops when (if) this patch hits, so people selling full CSS or CC (as an example) will forever lose those items since you can't place a shop in the instanced city area.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendfluf View Post
    I wonder... for all the shops that will be torn down, what will happen to all the items that are in them? Will they just sit in non-existent terminals and forever rot? Or will the items appear in a backpack in the players' inventory?

I mean, some people probably won't be able to clean out and close their shops when (if) this patch hits, so people selling full CSS or CC (as an example) will forever lose those items since you can't place a shop in the instanced city area.
    I'm also wondering about this.

Another thing I hope is taken into consideration: Currently when a person's shop is reset while they still have items in it, or if their shop building is deleted, the stuff they have in shops just goes into "limbo" and reappears if/when they ever rent a new shop somewhere.

I hope FC takes these "in limbo" items into account as well, and finds some way of getting them back to their owners. Preferably not by mail that expires in 2 weeks, either.

As soon as I see the patch date on here, I am emptying my shops . I have seen soooo many glitched shops after patches that I am not taking the chance of losing anything. Everything to opposite faction garden keys to morphing mems have shown up in the city shops after patch. Save yourself the headache and just clear them until the bugs are worked out would be my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    As soon as I see the patch date on here, I am emptying my shops . I have seen soooo many glitched shops after patches that I am not taking the chance of losing anything. Everything to opposite faction garden keys to morphing mems have shown up in the city shops after patch. Save yourself the headache and just clear them until the bugs are worked out would be my opinion.
    I actually like that side effect. After each patch it's like "I wonder what has popped in my shop today ? Pleeease make it an igoc ! ... Meh, it's just some carb and dark memories."

Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    I sincerely hope I've missed the part where a fresh start server with NO transfers allowed will also be available when the game is "relaunched". Otherwise, you might as well forget about keeping new players when they see they have no chance in hell of competing against two combined servers of years long vets with bazillions of creds controlling the grossly inflated economy.
    Funny how I always managed to do just fine without controlling billions of credits, farming thousands of hours of alienbots, or in fact doing anything at all in the game except what I felt like. But yeah, if you don't know how to play, you might as well not do so. So what's the issue?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast