Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Seoin View Post
    Yes but after the merge there will be twice as many orgs and the same number of tower fields
    Meaning much more reason to fight... I see that as a positive. Consider, all the whining about low player numbers, yet we used to have far more players and the same number of towerfields.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

SL towers?
    220/30/70 Martial Artist
    General of The Red Brotherhood
    A Rubi-Ka Story - youtube
    TRB Presentation Video divx | wegame

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Meaning much more reason to fight... I see that as a positive. Consider, all the whining about low player numbers, yet we used to have far more players and the same number of towerfields.
    I could see them adding more fields in some of the player city plots.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
    SL towers?
    Since there is no notum deposits in SL I dont think that would make sense.
    Last edited by Kauh; Apr 4th, 2012 at 14:19:05. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Kauh View Post

doesn't mean they can't discover them

Quote Originally Posted by Kauh View Post
    Actually SL already has the areas setup for the tower war game that was supposed to be there. You can find the novictum sources here and there in Elysium, which might be the only one to have them, they're these areas with names that popup just like tower fields, and they have a swirly effect thingie in the middle that I believe you can target. It was supposed to revolve around a 5-tower max system, pr. org, that you'd plant on top of this source, where you controlled areas and the more towers in a single area you controlled that were linked together, the higher bonus you'd get. There's even a tower exit teleporter in the gardens.

However, none of this was ever developed properly. Apparently it either wasn't fun or not possible within the time restrictions.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

If cities are regarded as unsightly then surely towers are worse! How about transferring notum mining to underground facilities so that people zone into tower areas through mine openings like those used for cave mishes in rk mishes. That way the number of tower fields can be increased easily. I certainly wouldn't want to see the things blemishing the SL landscape.
    Last edited by Kron; Apr 4th, 2012 at 15:15:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    If cities are regarded as unsightly then surely towers are worse! How about transferring notum mining to underground facilities so that people zone into tower areas through mine openings like those use for cave mishes in rk mishes. That way the number of tower fields can be increased easily. I certainly wouldn't want to see the things blemishing the SL landscape.
    I'm not utterly opposed to instanced tower fields, which it seems you are getting at, but tower sites however are not that unsightly. they fit the genre and story or a planet that is being stripped of its resources. if anything, you would expect to see more and more pop up as time goes on, in regards to story.

Current player cities have all the splendor of plastic scale replicas. so lifeless and cookie cutter. you would think that resources would be put into military, not civilian, in order to fight off the aliens. But, it leaves a nice opening for more story. humans got cocky yet again, underestimated aliens and now cities go boom, or something like that.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    My opinion about starting fresh on a new server is that it's a plain bad idea.

If I stick to AO, it's partly because of the list of toons that are in my siggy. I don't think I'm willing to restart farming all that stuff and levels all those toons again.

Starting fresh could be the opportunity to start fresh, but in another SciFi game.
    I will donate all my 300 CC to the nearest Omlet the day before serverNew if, indeed, FC do have us all restart; it is just not going to happen.
    Anarchy Online's A Prophet Without Honor:
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/anarch...out_honour.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    If cities are regarded as unsightly then surely towers are worse! How about transferring notum mining to underground facilities so that people zone into tower areas through mine openings like those used for cave mishes in rk mishes. That way the number of tower fields can be increased easily. I certainly wouldn't want to see the things blemishing the SL landscape.
    Tower sites at least respect the terrain they are in.

With cities you can be travelling through a dusty desert wasteland and bam, neatly manicured lawns and fancy buildings.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    Tower sites at least respect the terrain they are in.

With cities you can be travelling through a dusty desert wasteland and bam, neatly manicured lawns and fancy buildings.
    welcome to las vegas
    220 Agent + :: 220 Doctor + :: 220 Soldier + :: 220 Enforcer + :: 220 Bureaucrat + :: 217 Adventurer + :: 217 Trader + :: 159 Engineer :: 112 Fixer

Inferno Travelguides

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    My opinion about starting fresh on a new server is that it's a plain bad idea.

If I stick to AO, it's partly because of the list of toons that are in my siggy. I don't think I'm willing to restart farming all that stuff and levels all those toons again.

Starting fresh could be the opportunity to start fresh, but in another SciFi game.
    I agree ... a big part of what keeps me playing is all the time I have invested in my toons, our org city, the relationships with other players, etc.

I don't think I would stay to start over from all new level 1 toons.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHN2006 View Post
    I'm just sad that I won't be able to play all my professions without getting another paid account which I can't afford. With 2 servers I can play them all with perks and everything. Also I don't know what the fuss is about the economy and all the "stuff" other players have. I get enough credits just playing the game to get what I want. I don't need to have the "best" and I don't have the best but I am just fine. Some of the comments surfacing here indicate bitterness for what ever reason. If you are bitter why are you playing? If you don't like the game why are you playing? Remember when all is said and done, this is just a game. Enjoy the game join a nice org and have some fun, life is too short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haxi View Post
    It will be interesting to see how they manage this. I wonder if I am alone in regard to the fact that I would stop playing if I lost certain names? It is petty and overly attached to something fairly inconsequential but seriously, at the minimum my reaction would be to delete the toon.

Don't bother informing how this is silly, an overreaction, or an otherwise inappropriate response to unwanted stimuli. All of these things are understood, I am just curious if I am alone in my neurosis.
    I am very attached to my toons names also, they wouldn't be the same with a totally different name.

I am hoping FC comes up with a character like a * or # or = we can use at the end or beginning of our names so we can effectively keep them the same ... if we share a name with an active player on the other server.

I am also hoping FC increases the number of toons to 16 or close to that so we don't all have to increase our subscriptions in order to play all our toons. I don't know the stats on how many people play both servers with a full compliment of toons, I mostly play RK2 with only a few toons on RK1.

Whatever FC decides about how many toons we get to have on the new server ... when accomplishing the transfer to the new server I would suggest the following:

- I am hoping they accomplish it by letting us choose which of our toons to move to the new server (assuming we have 16 and can only keep 12 for example).
    - That we have a period of transition so we can move equipment off the toons we choose not to transfer,
    - That we have the option of starting a 'free of charge' 'veteran' account to hold our extra toons we don't want to loose (a veteran a/c so they get all to keep all their options/expansions) and can transfer them to this new veteran account 'free of charge' ... zero paid points to open and to transfer in.
    - And that if we have two or more linked accounts already (paid and/or froob) and have duplicate professions on the same account now because of the merge, that we can transfer between linked accounts when we move to the new server, also 'free of charge' ... zero paid points. For example if I happen to have my two favorite keepers on the same account, one on RK1 and the other RK2 ... after the merge they would be on the same account ... I would hopefully have the option of moving one to my 2nd account and move a different prof back to balance the accounts ... again free of charge ... zero paid points. Most likely the time period allowed for 'free' transfers between accounts would be limited and would only apply to the first transfer of a toon from the old server to the new.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    I agree ... a big part of what keeps me playing is all the time I have invested in my toons, our org city, the relationships with other players, etc.

I don't think I would stay to start over from all new level 1 toons.

Kinnik
    thing is,

1) new servers bring in new players. old servers with a bunch of loaded vets is not enticing to new players unless they are brought in by friends. even then, retention is more difficult.

2) relationships with other players, especially when many people you have known in a game have moved on, can make a new server very appealing to older players.

more than one perspective on the topic of new servers, most definitely.

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

I was just talking with few friends, if/when engine comes out and new players pour in, and IF they open brand new fresh server, with fresh start economy, fun leveling without everyone having pockets for tanking, id return right away and sub a year

Yeah, i love my 5-6 220 toons, but starting fresh, IMHO would be a lot of fun.
    Account frozen: Ornaola - 220/30 Opifex MA

"New account": Ornaolla - 220/18 trox MA

Yes im back, lol. Nerf addiction.

I personally would probably stop playing if I lost everything and had to start from scratch. Might sound petty and insignificant to a passerby, but 90% of current AO is the community and the relationships built in the game.

The loss of hundreds of hours of farmed gear pales in comparison to that, but it is still more than a valid reason to just let go and try something else, even if it means staying away from MMOs altogether. I don't know, I might pick up backyard wrestling, knitting or ultimate frisbee, who knows.

Or, I might just descend into a downward spiral of hate and vicious hate mail to FC which is followed by flat out stalking the developers until I get stamped legally insane and mentally unstable.

Both of those paths seem plausible and equally likely at the moment, that is of course, if for some reason they did do something crazy like merge servers or hit the restart button. The first option hopefully being a last minute option if all else fails and the second option being something of a nightmare case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Diagnostika View Post
    I personally would probably stop playing if I lost everything and had to start from scratch. Might sound petty and insignificant to a passerby, but 90% of current AO is the community and the relationships built in the game.

The loss of hundreds of hours of farmed gear pales in comparison to that, but it is still more than a valid reason to just let go and try something else, even if it means staying away from MMOs altogether. I don't know, I might pick up backyard wrestling, knitting or ultimate frisbee, who knows.

Or, I might just descend into a downward spiral of hate and vicious hate mail to FC which is followed by flat out stalking the developers until I get stamped legally insane and mentally unstable.

Both of those paths seem plausible and equally likely at the moment, that is of course, if for some reason they did do something crazy like merge servers or hit the restart button. The first option hopefully being a last minute option if all else fails and the second option being something of a nightmare case scenario.
    I don't think anyone has asked funcom to hit the reset button on current servers. that's just insane. maybe hit reset on economy, would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SoapTarder View Post
    I don't think anyone has asked funcom to hit the reset button on current servers. that's just insane. maybe hit reset on economy, would be awesome.
    Some people have asked for it, citing insurmountable odds for new players as the reason. The legitimacy of that claim is another matter, I'm just responding to the idea of a reset in general.

Without a clean wipe, I do not really see a way to please those people who feel the economy might be broken, be it true or not. So in that sense, it wouldn't be that much crazier than the whole idea itself.

let guess.....all these new changes.....APRIL FOOLS!!!!!
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Hokutonoken View Post
    let guess.....all these new changes.....APRIL FOOLS!!!!!
    lindelu posted Mar 30th, 2012, 10:47:06
    3 points for trying though..
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

The only way I'd start from scratch is in AO 2 and that would have to be up to modern standards in terms of options for reasonable solo leveling, obtaining gear and such. Otherwise, I've spent enough hours for the resources and stuff I have.. I'd rather continue in AO with said resources.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast