Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

I see they are a little inspired by an idea I had for starting-experience, I think it's a rather bad idea (who said we'd ever twink?) now I think it will do little, but who knows...I'd start the game with char-customation, a crash and maybe an encounter with termileetz0r before you get to the mainland via arrival hall...Improve WA, Rome and Borealis (vendor-content fx, NPC's etc), and then start making the whole game to a more cohesive gaming-experience that is more friendly to new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    Afaik it's mostly Genele who's in charge of the design documents,
    She is responsible, but not the instigator or perpetuator, unless I am wrong. I think it would be horrible if they simplify AO and make it less complex and advanced, or delete the existing professions while replacing them with their own ideas as if those two is mutually exclusive....AO is the consecutive work of several individuals during 10+ years, not one person.

They have made several mistakes regarding professions already, f.x the BS-changes...it was a bad idea from the start to add xp-rewards to battlestation cause then the feedback from the encounter will come from players who's main goal was NOT to pvp in the first place anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    Er, I have to disagree here. At hecks, you'd do 1-160 in what, 1 day of playtime ? In a game that has 220 levels, I found it stupid to level up to 160 in 24 hours.
    Especially because of the mechanisms of AO, eg twinking. The faster you level, the less desirable twinking is, because the "value" you added to your character through twinking becomes unsignificant sooner.
    I think everyone agrees that twinking is one (if not THE one ?) of the great features of AO, and to me enabling fast leveling (because what you are describing here is lightning fast, seriously) makes that feature weaker, that is why I don't agree.
    Yeah, and the lack of proper team-content is horrible. Another thing is the implementation of ofab armor which was ment to 'shorten the gaps' between veterans/experienced and lesser advanced/casual players...but you can't just exhange a level 175 set of ofab with a level 200 on the fly like with any other storebuyable armor...which I believe was the intention and the requirement from the targetgroup.

Maybe create one (1) AI-encounter for the levelgroup that rewards you with most the AI-database which was the norm pre-le? The upgrading-system could be reworked too, not only to see the diferent designs of the weapons from mk1 to mk6 for a longer period, but to make AO more friendly to new players.

The marketing system inc is probably good, but it won't change so many things unless there is more items produced into the world. As for now, AO is several seperate grinds and less fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayde View Post
    Omni-1 needs some love. I miss the days of sitting in trade or entertainment. It's hard to believe just how long ago that was!
    Also, West Athen is a dead city.

Remove the vanguards from there, give it the bs-signup and put the dailie-npc's there?

Quote Originally Posted by Kauh View Post
    I agree at your disagreement. Im an NT, and I honestly think that team kiting should be nerfed. Takes a lot of fun and challenge out of the game. Think of all the new players that will (and have) discover(ed) this and missed out on an entire gaming experience (I know I know, their fault, right?). The fact is, you dangle a carrot in front of a rabbits face, they're likely to take a bite.

I would propose (and I don't know how hard this would be to implement) a code be initiated when an NT is in team mode. If there are more than say, 5 kills within a 1sec time frame, all successive kills for the next 15 sec would give no team XP. This would not impact NT leveling solo-wise, as this would only come into effect in a team instance.

Bring the hate. I know its out there.
    Kiting in itself isn't such a bad thing when teaming w nt, it is the current xp-reward from it and how it currently is acted out in the game. I like how professions do things diferently
    Last edited by leetlover; Apr 7th, 2012 at 22:43:42.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

I just wanted to get my 2 cents in while I Can. It's bad enough your taking the fun out of Player Cities by removing shops and creating a vacuum to be filled by certain "Web Sites" to take advantage of the market in a real-time fashion with an "Item Shop" like interface, but instancing all player cities is going to drive what's left of the community that has stuck around AO for the last 11 years now out of the picture for good. Cities in the World map are fun and enjoyable. I enjoy holding my org meetings by the river in Agean in my custom built park, where i don't have to hand out passes for all in attendance. It may not seem like much, but in these cases we have a lot of outsiders from allied orgs that come for fun. Handing out 30 passes or however it's gona' work is just no fun at all. Not to mention the saviors that had been going to an org shop, who just so happened to see you getting your arse pwned by an AI gen and teamed up just to help. Removing the Real world cities is by no means helping the "Team Spirit" drive that built AO. You are in fact going to make it more Introverted and non-community oriented. It's not like removing the cities is going to help even out tower wars, those have been outdated since way before Alien Invasion Came Along. Lag .. perhaps. Why not Make the cities have a random timer and attack-able like towers but much more difficult to take? Say if one org declares war on another. Do something fun for a change and don't make things more cut off then they already are. Open up teams, open up the world, Diversify and think outside the box Pl0x. Not even the engine will save the game if you do this much. Start taking a "Q" from other games as far as world building goes and make to be AO unique! They built their games off of Anarchy Online, why not use them for a stepping stone of ideas? If this is part of the new Content Funcom had in mind, count me out. I want Community; because there is nothing more important.

The path of least resistance is the hardest path to enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by MidgarClan View Post
    juIt's bad enough your taking the fun out of Player Cities by removing shops
    And here I thought the fun of player cities was doing stuff in them with your org.

Just saying.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    And here I thought the fun of player cities was doing stuff in them with your org.

Just saying.
    It is but I like being able to check GMS , find the item I need and then going to the city to get it. That goes away with instanced cities. I particularly agree that the need to invite others to your city now so they can be at a meeting is not user friendly at all. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by leetlover View Post
    Kiting in itself isn't such a bad thing when teaming w nt, it is the current xp-reward from it and how it currently is acted out in the game. I like how professions do things diferently
    Aye. I think you may have misinterpreted me? I wasnt talking about nerfing AoE's, just the PL kiting aspect by implementing some sort of code that would be triggered if x kills has surpassed y in z amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MidgarClan View Post
    I just wanted to get my 2 cents in while I Can. It's bad enough your taking the fun out of Player Cities by removing shops and creating a vacuum to be filled by certain "Web Sites" to take advantage of the market in a real-time fashion with an "Item Shop" like interface, but instancing all player cities is going to drive what's left of the community that has stuck around AO for the last 11 years now out of the picture for good.
    Thanks for speaking for and representing the entire AO community.
    /rage quit after 7 years ><

The realistic fact is, they are making the necessary adjustments to the game to accommodate the server merge. Im sure they will address issues like outside org players wanting to enter ones city (perhaps by something as simple as just teaming said people?), and others that may arise. You must see that this is the only way to do things other than add double the amount of cities on RK. What a horrible mess that would be...
    You could still house your org meetings by the river in Agean, you'd just have to bring picnic tables instead.

Plus the whole problem with new spots is that you'll have a gold-rush of people with loads of money just running out there claiming them for themselves, then placing them up for sale at a handful of billions.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I hope, that they remove 3 craters west / east and coast of peace / tranquility zones. Coasts could stay, if they add some content there. Three craters zones really ruin Rubika map.
    Dragocz RK1

Well, they could put actual content in there instead.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Deemure View Post
    Apparently some missed the point. For the last few years almost every change to the game has been to encourage/allow/enable more pvp activities at the expense of other content/aspects of the game.
    What ?

There was NW ...

Then there was BS ...

Then, the PvP pf with forgatable name... and unplayble map.

So, mainly, NW and BS... that's .. 2 !
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Will to fight ? ^^

PvP? Will To Fight is empty. No one has a bar brawl in the Hope Bar. I'm the only one killing Rogue Notum Miners on my daily. Even though I do PvM I can't help but notice that PvP only takes place when there's a reward other than boasting/fun. As to Org Cities don't you dare get rid of our sauna...
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    What ?

There was NW ...

Then there was BS ...

So, mainly, NW and BS... that's .. 2 !
    There have been many updates that changed aspects of the game to suit complaints by pvp players. Not just full expansion changes. For example, nerfing LE mission vp drops because "no one was going to battlestations' and changing a variety of damage formula's to suit pvp concerns, I don't remember them all ... just that it seems each patch has changes to correct an issue for pvp that makes it harder to play pvm.

Kinnik

have you considered that maybe some of the devs aren't pvm cupcakes and actually enjoy pvp?
    Last edited by Lazy; Apr 10th, 2012 at 17:27:19.

I think the cities add to the landscape of RK and would hate to see them go. Just because the players are moving out of the cities doesn't mean city raids need to stop or the cities have to go. How about anyone with the Alien expansion be able to start a city raid in any of the legacy cities. 1 alien for each person in your team even if in raid mode.

Then add mini raids in the city that use the existing buildings. It can't be that hard to develop quest lines around buildings that already exist. Not dailies but things that small groups can do. Something to do because it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrattes View Post
    I think the cities add to the landscape of RK and would hate to see them go.
    Please list any RK architecture that matches the AI cities in look. I don't think there is any, those cities have been a sore thumb since they were added, no real difference in appearance between factions, their main appeal was shortcuts to playfields and the convenience of having a shop to sell your things.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

So I've not been following the forums recently.. so what's the gist? Lol
    OMNI-TEK

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    OMG, I had totally forgot about this one ! Thanks for reminding me.

Among all the things that made it to live, this pf must be the biggest waste of dev time in AO's history, unfortunately
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Deal with cities, replace them with faction specific outpost (not all). Make a few more tower sites, and perhaps some player own outpost (grid exit, guards, fancy stuff), make these become disputable every 72hrs. etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by heilt-do View Post
    Deal with cities, replace them with faction specific outpost (not all). Make a few more tower sites, and perhaps some player own outpost (grid exit, guards, fancy stuff), make these become disputable every 72hrs. etc etc
    Not everything must revolve around pvp and faction. Why not more outposts like harry's with bronto herder, maybe he expands new bronto pens. Or give the tsuoshi weapon smith a building somewhere.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    have you considered that maybe some of the devs aren't pvm cupcakes and actually enjoy pvp?
    Have you and/or FC considered that maybe some of their customers do not enjoy PvP? Perhaps even most of them ... otherwise it would be easy to keep BS running.

And where does it say that if a player prefers PvM they are a 'cupcake'?

Kinnik

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast