Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Some folks consider player cities a blight on the landscape; I think they add to the aesthetic. If you can find a way to simulate the Sci-Fi feel that cities give, with whatever you replace them, why that'd be super.

I'm very interested in this new shopping experience. Case in point: I could see Biancha having fun with it; she wouldn't need to limit her advertising for bomb parts in OOC and the forums.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

OMG, so many changes here my head is spinning.

The most surprising one (not sure if it's a good thing or not yet) is the cross dimensional trade system. But from your post, you are seriously considering the server merge, so it'd be a non-issue once this happens.

About the rework of an OT city, hell yea ! I love omni-ent even if I get lost sometimes, and think it could be a great starting omni city with greater omni forest right outside the gates.

Also, adding general information about how weapons work on the vendor seems a good idea. Make sure that you don't make it annoying for vets though. Make it clear that the info is here if you want to read it, but don't show the window every time you open trade...

I was an engineer once, then they removed /pet hunt...
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Question with cross-dimensional market is. Should I invest now or should I sell the stuff...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

'Cross Dimensional Trade'

ALL MY PHATZ BE WORTH BILLIONS I TELL YE.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

how this nanothingy affecs perks since all perks are classified as nanos?
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Mar 30th, 2012 at 13:53:32.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    how this nanothingy affecs perks since all perks are classified as nanobot damage?
    What I understand is that they work like regular attacks, so your +add damage for correct type increase them...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    [prose]
    Monthly Development Update: March 2012
    "if you have a mechanic that is really complicated and you fear not being able to teach it to the player in a good way - add it to the vendor. Most players really enjoy reading up on how a mechanic works when they are making a concious decision how to improve their weapons."
    I will just comment on that quote.

This is Anarchy Online. And complex puzzles became part of the landscape since launch.

The complexity of AO is what kept it alive for so many years.

Bringing something to the vendor, just for the sake of masses to enjoy, will produce what happened to SWTOR, and to AION, and to WHO, and all those games that lost like a million players in the first 6 months from launch.

Our complexity is what makes the difference between kids and adults in AO. Let's help the kids in the new start up areas.. let's not hurt the adults.

And I still love you Fia.

Awesome stuff,

Just activated my froob account with 12 months full paid just beacuse the progress and that I trust this stuff will land soon^tm

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    This is Anarchy Online. And complex puzzles became part of the landscape since launch.

most complex puzzle atm is why overpowered is shortened OP and aimedshot is using only O-button?
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

most complex puzzle atm is why overpowered is shortened OP and aimedshot is using only O-button?
    Our game is slightly more complex than that

Great update!

I would like to point out that AO already have large amounts of guides in the form of single-paged books though; Just take a look in any trade section. There are many books from the old days explaining how to build nanoprograms, implants, specific weapons and more.

With that in mind, I think it's a good idea to keep that tradition going; It is already part of AOs charm, and it would be wonderful if it was updated with more recent&relevant information. Just please stick to the original writing style?
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

I'm a little nervous about the view that profession balance will be a side effect of system changes. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I would think profession balance is something that would require careful planning, rather than something that will be an automatic effect of systemic changes. Most system changes (unlike direct changes to profession specific nanos and perks) are unlikely to meaningfully alter the power gap between the strongest and weakest professions.

Is profession balance no longer a development priority?

Love everything else - great news on the cross-dimensional market .

Funcom employee

I will just comment on that quote.

Bringing something to the vendor, just for the sake of masses to enjoy, will produce what happened to SWTOR, and to AION, and to WHO, and all those games that lost like a million players in the first 6 months from launch.

Our complexity is what makes the difference between kids and adults in AO. Let's help the kids in the new start up areas.. let's not hurt the adults.

And I still love you Fia.
    Actually, what Fia is getting at here is not about removing or changing complexity at all.
    It's about the willingness of a player to do research into the complexity of a mechanic at different stages of their gameplay.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Bombqueen View Post
    And what on earth are Coast of Peace/Tranquility and Three Craters West/East going to be used for?
    I would say, this is the place they would create a new omni city. It makes perfect sense. However. I don't want a dark and depressive city such as Rome again. I want a city, where it's open fielded, and has a central point to it where people would generally gather up and chat, if that was the case. Rome is so cut out from social life because of the three different zones.

However. If omnies are receiving a new main city, will clan be given the same? Perhaps a rival zone between coast of tranquility and coast of peace ('peace' wouldn't make sense though, neut zone?)
    Would be cool if there was some kind of pvp zone inbetween those two cities, and weekly events that would trigger pvp and people attending. (Thing's like these keeps player subscribed, I for sure would be alot more encouraged to play if there were more RP faction vs. faction events.)

Regarding the other changes, I feel this is going to be good things coming to AO. I feel happy. You really deserve the position as GD Lindelu, and I appreciate the work you guys put into AO.

Updating the UI is a really good decision. Also the new login UI is a little ugly, as in the windows and buttons really look so basic with no art feelings into it. I'm not neccessarily saying that you need to put art pictures in it, but make it more unique and special. It is infact the first impression a new player receives of the game. (right?) (No hard feelings Vhab, you are awesome). But I take it as you guys will improve that as well.

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Actually, what Fia is getting at here is not about removing or changing complexity at all.
    It's about the willingness of a player to do research into the complexity of a mechanic at different stages of their gameplay.
    That's my points too.

let's not change the complexity. Let's not either let players get it for free.

<3

I fixed this issue by binding browser into O ;D

The third change is that friendly AOE auras will no longer run on people in the vicinity, but instead on everyone in your team and your own pets. With this change you as a caster will control who gets the benefit of your buff and who doesn't, this means you no longer will get accidently flagged by someone random in your vicinity!
    Does that apply to the much used Keeper aura (Anti-fear) in the 12man instance aswell?
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

[prose]
    Monthly Development Update: March 2012

The third change is that friendly AOE auras will no longer run on people in the vicinity, but instead on everyone in your team and your own pets. With this change you as a caster will control who gets the benefit of your buff and who doesn't, this means you no longer will get accidently flagged by someone random in your vicinity!
    OK another part I had to reply to.

Friendly AOE never affected enemies and so you could not get a flag out of it.

Still love you though.. Damn I love you guys, excellent changes, mindset and overall strategy. Keep going.

Not quite sure i like the new changes to friendly auras, how will it affect Raid interfaces etc.. Especially 12man and the keeper question, if the change affects the keeper anti fear aura to team only, it'll make people opt for 6man teams instead, no reason to invite less than optimal professions when all they do is screw up your raid due to not receiving anti fear aura and running around like headless chickens pulling agg from Right hand and Xan when they get out of grace.
    Last edited by Kuyt; Mar 30th, 2012 at 15:06:18.
    NO U

OK another part I had to reply to.

Friendly AOE never affected enemies and so you could not get a flag out of it.

Still love you though.. Damn I love you guys, excellent changes, mindset and overall strategy. Keep going.
    The recent change in towerflag mechanic is the reason behind this change.
    NO U

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast