Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930

Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    and there are a large number of features modern MMOs have in their GUI that AO does not.
    Like what?

Maybe I just havnt played the right games or something, but in every other MMO i've played, their GUI seemed incredibly lacking. The only thing they had was fancier borders or whatever.

I suppose it's also a matter of monitor size, I have plenty of room even with 6 chat windows and 7 hotbars.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Lindelu is really late today ;o
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Edit: nvm, delayed

Quote Originally Posted by Kuegen View Post
    Like what?

Maybe I just havnt played the right games or something, but in every other MMO i've played, their GUI seemed incredibly lacking. The only thing they had was fancier borders or whatever.

I suppose it's also a matter of monitor size, I have plenty of room even with 6 chat windows and 7 hotbars.
    GUI display of org activity, player locations, whois, grouped friendslists, buttons and input fields instead of CLI.

Like I said, AO's GUI has a lot of good features, but it's lacking some accessability features that are present in modern games. And yes, I also find modern game's GUIs lacking in features and functionality compared to AO's. But some of them have a pair of quite good features that AO would only be the better for.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

player locations
    This is a really obvious one when you come back to AO after playing other games for so long.
    Screwed over for the last time.

Go find a new game to play, this one no longer deserves respect.

Quote Originally Posted by -Bugsplat View Post
    This is a really obvious one when you come back to AO after playing other games for so long.
    We have /list, but that only works on the zone your character is in (and doesn't display those who are flagged anon). We have the LFT window which works across zones, but that only works with a limited level range and only if they have actively flagged themselves as LFT. We have a buddy list that tells us if someone is online or offline (but nothing else about them).

We have a number of other functions provided by 3rd party software ... but those are limited by their dependence on Funcom provided services to function (such as PoRK; tis a pain when that doesn't update); services that only provide a limited amount of information to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by sunrunner5 View Post
    We have /list, but that only works on the zone your character is in (and doesn't display those who are flagged anon). We have the LFT window which works across zones, but that only works with a limited level range and only if they have actively flagged themselves as LFT. We have a buddy list that tells us if someone is online or offline (but nothing else about them).

We have a number of other functions provided by 3rd party software ... but those are limited by their dependence on Funcom provided services to function (such as PoRK; tis a pain when that doesn't update); services that only provide a limited amount of information to begin with.
    Yeah, but obviously the game knows where you are, why isn't that a feature in a more fully fledged friendwindow? I could dig that, but would still like the present low-key version which functions more like an IM program. If only it could also group people better. And supported textinput, instead of /ccaddbuddy stuff. CLI is fine and all, but in most cases you just want a + and - button instead, for new people. Then when you're all advanced you can use CLI
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Yeah, but obviously the game knows where you are, why isn't that a feature in a more fully fledged friendwindow? I could dig that, but would still like the present low-key version which functions more like an IM program. If only it could also group people better. And supported textinput, instead of /ccaddbuddy stuff. CLI is fine and all, but in most cases you just want a + and - button instead, for new people. Then when you're all advanced you can use CLI
    Two possible reasons:
    • 1) AO doesn't wish to provide that level of information.
    • 2) AO isn't capable of providing that information to the players without additional coding, and their dev-hours are assigned to tasks they consider to be more of a priority.

I believe 2 is the correct reason, and that there are many (many) things they consider to be a higher priority.

Oh, I'm sure 2 is the option we're looking at. But there might be a bit of 1 in there as well. AO was always social, and automating everything... not very social.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 1st, 2012 at 07:26:20.
    The Red Brotherhood

The problem with AOs gui is you can see people, know where they are, and what you want to do to them, but you can't. That is the simplest way of describing why it needs to be improved.

The tabbing system is the worst. Need a clickable text list of everyone within 40m of your character.

Need a switch target to fighting target hotkey.

Need to be able to target people straight from the raid interface list rather than drag their hp bar onto screen.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

I must say I've experienced worse tabbing systems than the one in AO, but good suggestions all round.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    Need to be able to target people straight from the raid interface list rather than drag their hp bar onto screen.
    Being able to drag entire teams from the RI would be nice as well.

I find it baffling how some people can defend AO's UI. I mean, yeah, it's "customizable" in the sense that you can freely move and resize all the poorly designed and uninformative windows. Like a toaster with ten different settings that all result in burnt toast.

It takes more work to get the default UI into a usable state than any other MMO I've played and even then it's barely tolerable. To top it off a lot of the problems are things that the user simply can't fix because they're hardcoded.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

The GUI is not great, but when customized, I find it more convenient/useable than most MMOs I have played.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    Being able to drag entire teams from the RI would be nice as well.

I find it baffling how some people can defend AO's UI. I mean, yeah, it's "customizable" in the sense that you can freely move and resize all the poorly designed and uninformative windows. Like a toaster with ten different settings that all result in burnt toast.

It takes more work to get the default UI into a usable state than any other MMO I've played and even then it's barely tolerable. To top it off a lot of the problems are things that the user simply can't fix because they're hardcoded.
    You find it baffling? I find that many MMOs I try out I have to sit and go "why can't I do this?" on many things. Customizable is something that most games don't have, other than maybe you can move your windows around on the screen, but some don't even let you do that. Some get better with time, others don't. A few allow for programmers and others to customize the content of the GUI, but most don't.
    I wonder what games it is you're referencing?

I'd also like to hear what windows that see general use that are so poorly designed and uninformative? I mean, the most used parts of the GUI next to the chat, which is poorly setup by default, and could use more different channels for certain messages. Other than that, you can do all kinds of things with it, but it's relatively obscure how you do it. Usability poor, but functionality is way up there compared to many others.

The inventory and subcategories of it, the character wear window and hotbars would come next. Hotbars... hm, dunno, mostly due to old icons they are weird. Could be better, with resizability, bindings to any entry in them accessible from a rightclick or similar.
    Inventory? Superior to all games I've tried bar the lack of a search feature. Other games get around really bad inventories by having search. Could be improved by having different types of sorting, but that would require items to be categorised in the database. Unlikely to happen.
    Wear window? Quite standard. Nothing untoward there, with a few features I've not seen in other games, like locking of items. Social tab also not something most games have.

I can defend it, because I literally have not seen many games do better. They put a fancy border and a button in there, but functionality is low in many things, and I'm perpetually surprised when I find even basic commands and features I know from AO present. I wonder why that is... yes, it takes time to set it up, and if you're not willing to experiment or spend time on that, you probably have something sub-par. But then, the default GUI settings of AO are not really different from other games. The difference is AO's can do so much more than those, and it doesn't hint at it.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 1st, 2012 at 11:01:51.
    The Red Brotherhood

Ah yes text search, and custom settings for which slot an item is hot swapped to.

Remove backpacks, make inv and bank 21 times bigger. Tagging of items.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    Ah yes text search, and custom settings for which slot an item is hot swapped to.

Remove backpacks, make inv and bank 21 times bigger. Tagging of items.
    Or make they work like WoW bags. Items go automaticaly there if inv is full, you can TS stuff from bags. And... for oh my god sake make rclick put items in shop machine if its open!

P.s.: AO GUI may be bad (well it is, not apealling, too big stuff ocupping usefull window space) but at least you can put the freak fcking chat on the right side on the screen! BIG BUMP for easy movable stuff. Do never change it plz ^^
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930