Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    I agree twinking is fun! We will never make AO "right click to equip"-easy.
    I hope I understood your concern correctly.
    You mean S7 weapons were an accident ?
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

I agree twinking is fun! We will never make AO "right click to equip"-easy.
    I hope I understood your concern correctly.
    i think you have
    My englisch is bad. Wenn mit mir streiten willst quatsch mich auf Deutsch zu.
    Mitglied bei Punishment Inc.

Chars
    Drheiko was born on Thu Jun 22 09:20:15 2006 RK1 150 Doc
    Grafheiko was born on Wed May 17 17:17:37 2006 RK1 200 Agent (froob)
    Tilli was born on Tue Nov 14 12:25:47 2006 Rk1 220 Keeper
    Secretagent was born on Thu Oct 26 12:28:57 2006 RK1 220 Agent
    uvm...zu den geburtstagen wünsche ich mir ein 300 supplebot

• You need to be a subscriber to do transactions (Alien Invasion)
    • Free players can browse the market

Transactions means both buying and selling right? And do you plan to make this a service you can buy? Like you used to be able to buy the ability to send mails as a froob.

Either way, being able to browse would be awesome .
    Last edited by Edta; Mar 30th, 2012 at 16:34:00.
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

not had chance to read all of the posts here , just wanted to ask:

when we xfer items to the new merged server will we be able to do it by the backpack or single items, as i bank a lot of items for the org to use for both twinking and using when they make new toons, as i have 7 bank toons and 1 twink items bank.

making it easyer to xfer them items in backpack will be cheaper as i got more things then i can count. and i really don't want to have to spend the best part of a month and 5bil+ in creds sending it, or will there be a way to get toons xfered over that were made for banking items for org member to use with there bank items on the toon to save a lot of money.
    [GM]: Is there anything else I can assist you with for now?
    To [GM]: lol can you tuck me in bed please im tired xD
    [GM]: Haha, that's a new one! :P

Rikaria 220/30/63 NT sent to bio matter reprocessing
    Strinarry 220/30/61 Crat eat you heart out hotbars
    Emmantion 200/30/58 Fix is it dead yet >.<
    Kamiashi 200/00/00 Soldier (froob) spoilt child

Lindelu,

Wow. Pretty impressive stuff. Love the cross dimension market.

Now you said about adding the complex idea to a vendor and that got me thinking of an enhancement to AO that would be nice. Since we have this so cool ingame browser now why not use it a bit more. As has been stated we have a vendor shop that sells books on how to do most of the trade skill processes. But face it they suck in terms of visual niceness. But if once we bought one of those it enabled us to access a nice HTML guide like those seen at AOU but done by FC of course that would be a powerful feature. It would still require purchasing the manual and uploading it. But it would allow the team to easily update the procedures if they change as they would be on a server in html format vice encoded into the game. Text and pictures sure would make some of the complex features in AO easier to figure out. And as for where you buy these guides, I am not suggesting a single store sell them all. I am think zone specific vendors the various manuals or even make then drop items. Like how to build DB gear drops from the DB bosses as an example.

Also could we get some input from you on what many feel is a HUGE issue. Cluster shopping. Is it really so hard to make basic shops have ql20 clusters, Advance shops have ql90 clusters and Superior Shops have ql190 clusters? After almost 11 years I just don't get why I am still forced to run for hours sometimes shop to shop to find 2 or 3 clusters in the right QL. It really does have a negative impact on the play experience. So your thoughts on this would be great to hear.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Starting to add "system changes" each patch is definitely the right approach when trying to balance the game. Balance is something that you have to work on continuously to keep/achieve. You will never be able to balance a game with just 1 big phat patch that changes alot of stuff.

And i love the fact that you're trying to do something about afk-lvling. While /pet hunt might not be the biggest of deals, it seems that you atleast have the right vision for the game imo.
    I look forward to the day when;
    - Kite hill in ely lvling has been fixed. There's nothing fun with 1 NT aoe'ing down hundres of hecks in order to lvl up 5 afk people that pay X million creds/level.
    - lvl 160-200 people tailing after a 220 toon that plows through ql220 inferno missions for them.
    - Worthwhile content to level at in scheol. Maybe by adjusting the numbers a bit on scheol heckers? Or a new dungeon in similar fashion of Dark Ruins in Adonis.
    - Previously mentioned lvl 160-200 players instead form up their own teams to do penumbra missions.

The most effective way to level should be the same as the most enjoyable way; with a team where everyone is around the same level. Where everyone fulfills their "roles". Healers heal. Tanks tank. Crow-control profs mezz/root/snare adds. And damage dealers do damage.

After many years of "progress fiasco" under Means' rule, I am slowly regaining faith in the AO team. So keep up the good work Lindelu & others, I believe in you!

I only read lindelu's post, and the first page, but here's my impressions:

1. Mail centered, cross dimensional market. So far into the future (what? 30,000 years or somewhere around there, I think) and we just NOW get the ability to buy stuff without walking there on foot. Lindelu needs to have a chat with the RK natives, they're a bit behind the times... But I really, really like this, and especially that froobs will be able to browse. Big plus!

2. Engine stuff. Ehh, no comment.

3. The GUI. If you do decide to rip out the current one, and redesign a new one, please, please, please make it as customizable as it is right now. Please! I hate all the new MMO's where, even though they're "new and up to date" the UI is very rigid, with little/no customization. I like being able to change around my GUI for different professions, and I'm sure others do too.

4. System changes. Apart from the loss of /pet hunt, I rather like the sound of these changes. Unsure of if I read it right, but your plan seems to be to release little bits of the smaller parts of rebalance, to lead up to the larger portions of the rebalance. I like this, if I read it right. It shows us, the players, progress, while not shoving too many changes all at once at everybody.

5. Player cities. With the new market system, I understand the fact that real cities are no more special than instanced cities. But I do like to see them, when roaming around RK. I remember the first time I went for a stroll around NLD on my very first character. When I saw the big, shining city in the distance, I just HAD to go check it out. I've always enjoyed seeing the cities on RK in different landscapes, and I don't like the idea of them being removed
    Quote Originally Posted by Collodion View Post
    I'll create a viral video to raise money to fight the evil hard water ring stains in toilet bowls. I'll raise millions to arm and equip thousands of Tidy Bowl Men. They will put up a good fight, but ultimately will lose the war. But at least I'll get a new car and a nice house with new toilet bowls out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    that helm helps so damn much for tl 4 and tl 5 twinks becose of the torturing.

<3 !!!

Nanodamage on DoTs. Uniques (and backpacks?!) tradeable. Able to make requests in GMS. Cross dimensional market system omg. And if that's a step towards a merge I love you even more ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Qualto View Post
    Starting to add "system changes" each patch is definitely the right approach when trying to balance the game. Balance is something that you have to work on continuously to keep/achieve. You will never be able to balance a game with just 1 big phat patch that changes alot of stuff.

And i love the fact that you're trying to do something about afk-lvling. While /pet hunt might not be the biggest of deals, it seems that you atleast have the right vision for the game imo.
    I look forward to the day when;
    - Kite hill in ely lvling has been fixed. There's nothing fun with 1 NT aoe'ing down hundres of hecks in order to lvl up 5 afk people that pay X million creds/level.
    - lvl 160-200 people tailing after a 220 toon that plows through ql220 inferno missions for them.
    - Worthwhile content to level at in scheol. Maybe by adjusting the numbers a bit on scheol heckers? Or a new dungeon in similar fashion of Dark Ruins in Adonis.
    - Previously mentioned lvl 160-200 players instead form up their own teams to do penumbra missions.

The most effective way to level should be the same as the most enjoyable way; with a team where everyone is around the same level. Where everyone fulfills their "roles". Healers heal. Tanks tank. Crow-control profs mezz/root/snare adds. And damage dealers do damage.

After many years of "progress fiasco" under Means' rule, I am slowly regaining faith in the AO team. So keep up the good work Lindelu & others, I believe in you!
    how about first they fix regular levelling so that we don't ahve to resort to ways to cheat the system in order to not stab our eyes out in frustration.

they should in this order:
    1. look at how much xp you need to get from 1-160
    2. look at the optimal xp/hour gain on kite hill: take 1 heck's xp, multiply by the number of hecks there are for oi + west side of kite hill and then multiply that number by 5 (hecks have 10 minute spawntimer, but you need to factor in the time it takes to pull them + the time it takes to actually kill them.)
    3. ensure that xp/hour is comperable to that gain in whatever new system they're introducing. whether that means increasing xp gain, lowering hp of mobs, increasing spawntime, doesn't matter. but make sure that it's still possible to go 1-160 in roughly the same time it takes now.
    Last edited by Lazy; Mar 30th, 2012 at 17:46:45.

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    So when will you be releasing the revised engineer pet requirements in recognition of the fact that all pets now last forever?
    Huge bump for an answer to this question. The explaination forever and a day to why engineer nanos are stupidly hard to cast compared to other pet professions has always been "because they don't time out." Now that that's gone, it is only right to reduce engineer nano requirements to equivalent levels.

Love the new market system, huge improvement and excellent options for both requesting and selling at specific prices.

For the player cities, instead of removing them, how about you model in some ruins of the usual city buildings in place? It's not as if there's a real shortage of real estate out there and you could have city ruins as a haven for failed experiment mobs.

When disabling player cities, what will happen to org-benefits ? Will my 220 character that has just enough of whatever-skill suddenly be 39 points short in that skill (thus in some cases maybe useless).... ?
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    how about first they fix regular levelling so that we don't ahve to resort to ways to cheat the system in order to not stab our eyes out in frustration.

they should in this order:
    1. look at how much xp you need to get from 1-160
    2. look at the optimal xp/hour gain on kite hill: take 1 heck's xp, multiply by the number of hecks there are for oi + west side of kite hill and then multiply that number by 5 (hecks have 10 minute spawntimer, but you need to factor in the time it takes to pull them + the time it takes to actually kill them.)
    3. ensure that xp/hour is comperable to that gain in whatever new system they're introducing. whether that means increasing xp gain, lowering hp of mobs, increasing spawntime, doesn't matter. but make sure that it's still possible to go 1-160 in roughly the same time it takes now.
    Er, I have to disagree here. At hecks, you'd do 1-160 in what, 1 day of playtime ? In a game that has 220 levels, I found it stupid to level up to 160 in 24 hours.
    Especially because of the mechanisms of AO, eg twinking. The faster you level, the less desirable twinking is, because the "value" you added to your character through twinking becomes unsignificant sooner.
    I think everyone agrees that twinking is one (if not THE one ?) of the great features of AO, and to me enabling fast leveling (because what you are describing here is lightning fast, seriously) makes that feature weaker, that is why I don't agree.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    When disabling player cities, what will happen to org-benefits ? Will my 220 character that has just enough of whatever-skill suddenly be 39 points short in that skill (thus in some cases maybe useless).... ?
    As I read it, cities in open landscape will be gone... Instanced cities will still be there for raiding and benefits... Please don't prove me wrong...
    Former President of Unlimited High Society - We're recruiting 220/30/66 Eternalist Mardonge - Equip 220/25/70 Savior Bioth - Equip 220/22/64 Dictator Cratzi - Equip 220/22/58 Mogul Stressed 199/22/45 Don Riksmongo - Equip 194/19/52 Spetsnaz 176/18/42 Master 5th Dan Maofex - Equip 100/10/28 Biomare - Equip Foremans Twink ************************************************** Be vewy vewy quiet, Im hunting whinomen

i disagree. people that twink usually don't level their twinks. and no, slapping on some 125 imps, a predset and a half-decent gun at 60 isn't called twinking. it's called gearing a toon to be passable while levelling. same with the 160 retwink before heading into inf. that's just basic maintenance. it's nothing to be proud of, just like putting on clean underwear is nothing to be proud of. i'm pretty sure the people that make real twinks (25 trader that can solo aztur, 150 s10 twinks, etc) don't go out and level them as soon as they're done.

Wow, some really exciting / interesting stuff!

A few questions:

1) New MP demon when? D:

2) Will the removal of outdoor cities include the removal of the plots they're built on? I can only imagine how awkward Rubi-Ka would look with a bunch of blank, single-texture squares every few miles.

Also~

1) We are discussing this. We want to either rework Rome, or make improvements to another OT city and redirect new players there instead.
    The most important for me is that the shops should be easy to find, with signs, and that they should be closer together. A bonus is to have the grid and the whom-pa more accessible too, and in Rome this is sort of.. not ideal. Even if it looks cool.
    Omni-1 needs some love. I miss the days of sitting in trade or entertainment. It's hard to believe just how long ago that was!
    Last edited by Vayde; Mar 30th, 2012 at 19:54:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    Er, I have to disagree here. At hecks, you'd do 1-160 in what, 1 day of playtime ? In a game that has 220 levels, I found it stupid to level up to 160 in 24 hours.
    Especially because of the mechanisms of AO, eg twinking. The faster you level, the less desirable twinking is, because the "value" you added to your character through twinking becomes unsignificant sooner.
    I think everyone agrees that twinking is one (if not THE one ?) of the great features of AO, and to me enabling fast leveling (because what you are describing here is lightning fast, seriously) makes that feature weaker, that is why I don't agree.
    I agree at your disagreement. Im an NT, and I honestly think that team kiting should be nerfed. Takes a lot of fun and challenge out of the game. Think of all the new players that will (and have) discover(ed) this and missed out on an entire gaming experience (I know I know, their fault, right?). The fact is, you dangle a carrot in front of a rabbits face, they're likely to take a bite.

I would propose (and I don't know how hard this would be to implement) a code be initiated when an NT is in team mode. If there are more than say, 5 kills within a 1sec time frame, all successive kills for the next 15 sec would give no team XP. This would not impact NT leveling solo-wise, as this would only come into effect in a team instance.

Bring the hate. I know its out there.

New engine is freaking cool. Love the lighting effects. Keep up the good work and I will resubscribe
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Well since pet guard pretty much works as auto attack i guess you'll need to remove that as well, no?
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

[prose]
    We all think that it's really cool with outdoor cities and we may come to re-purpose them, but once we're ready to migrate to a new server we're going to disable the outdoor cities. We are currently determining the best way to reimburse org leaders. However, this is not going to happen suddenly, we will announce it at least a couple of months before and we are not there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofex View Post
    As I read it, cities in open landscape will be gone... Instanced cities will still be there for raiding and benefits... Please don't prove me wrong...
    I agree with above - biggest issue with complete removal of cities will be the loss of buffs they provide to ALL the members of the org, even those who never do Alien raids or use GMS. So I am all for Maofex's suggestion of moving player cities into an instanced area. The access would be limited to org members and their team-mates, just as with the apartments.

In addition to buffs and alien raids, cities provide an important psychological satisfaction of an MMO - the need to leave a mark in the world, i.e. build something permanent that others can see and admire. Taking cities out of public area limits "others" to one's own org, but it is still better than nothing.

Aside from that, kudos to Lindelu on the market update - it eliminates a boring mechanical activity, and it will make GMS more active meaning easier access to items and more money for one's loot. I also note similarities with AoC market system, so further kudos on capitalizing on existing expertize (instead of re-inventing the wheel).

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast