Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    The Systems Changes
    I'm going to start refering to the profession balance as ”systems changes” from now on, because this better indicates what we are doing. While balance is important, I view the it as an effect of our systems changes, and so you'll start seing parts of this in most scheduled updates from now on, and it may take the form of a formula change or a general improvement. Three of these general changes will appear in the next update, that will give us consistency and pave way for more significant changes.
    I've got a serious question: how deep is this going to go? AO currently has a lot of mechanics/formulas that do not scale properly (or at all) and it has resulted in a number of problems.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I'd support the removal of all hecklers.

People need to remember that the levels leading to 220 are not simply a means to an end.
    Screwed over for the last time.

Go find a new game to play, this one no longer deserves respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualto View Post
    And i love the fact that you're trying to do something about afk-lvling. While /pet hunt might not be the biggest of deals, it seems that you atleast have the right vision for the game imo.
    I look forward to the day when;
    - Kite hill in ely lvling has been fixed. There's nothing fun with 1 NT aoe'ing down hundres of hecks in order to lvl up 5 afk people that pay X million creds/level.
    - lvl 160-200 people tailing after a 220 toon that plows through ql220 inferno missions for them.
    Since we don't want to kill AO's sandbox-ish feel, why not ask for diversion by NOT EFFING KILL SOMEONE ELSE'S PLAY STYLE!!!

If people want to sit all day on kite hill and pay some dude on pills that likes circling with hecks or has a pocket (effin kiter nubs), so be it!!! Lazyness MUST pay!

Just ask for the rest of the game after 130 to be more worthwhile like they added dailies to add fun dungeons for 100-149 people. That would solve most of the issues with kite hill.

They easiest way to eliminate it is to create viable (aka not better, but similar) alternatives.

If people want to pay for kite hill services, why not!!! Let the lazy bastids pay and some nubs with the NT/crat/enf get some cash.

Increasing diversity with more fun encounters will also fix lowbies in inf missions since they would be busy with those fun and engaging encounters, right?

Still that wouldn't fix lowbie alts in inf missions, but do you care? I mean if it's my alt and I can play the game the way I want. Don't try to tell me how to play. The game as it is now needs all kinds of players.

Sure, diversity helps here. And I'd be all over new, fun and engaging encounters as well as dragging my alt in inf missions if I feel like it. (and yes, I did drag tl5-6 org mates with me simply because it was fun to do inf missions with them regardless of how much it would take to actually complete it).

- Worthwhile content to level at in scheol. Maybe by adjusting the numbers a bit on scheol heckers? Or a new dungeon in similar fashion of Dark Ruins in Adonis.
    - Previously mentioned lvl 160-200 players instead form up their own teams to do penumbra missions.
    Exactly... diversity.

As for penumbra missions, there are a few things needed before... better population and lower the level at which you can pull missions (160 instead of 180). Even before inf missions were fixed people used to bring 220s in inf missions pulled by tl6 people; so dragging lowbies around is not all that recent.

The most effective way to level should be the same as the most enjoyable way; with a team where everyone is around the same level. Where everyone fulfills their "roles". Healers heal. Tanks tank. Crow-control profs mezz/root/snare adds. And damage dealers do damage.
    I've had so much fun in "unbalanced" teams where my engie was tank or some crat or doc tanked...

Always forcing people in their roles is not all that beneficial. Sure it might be ok for larger encounters (aka raids which absolutely lack for levels lower than 210), but for usual encounters you need that adrenaline pumping so you feel your toolset working instead of tank & spank p0rn action.

After many years of "progress fiasco" under Means' rule, I am slowly regaining faith in the AO team. So keep up the good work Lindelu & others, I believe in you!
    Big phat LOL!!! Mean's fiasco you say... I say you could replace Mean's name with <insert_previous_GD_name> and push the blame around.

Of course now it looks like actual progress was made since the update is on a monthly bases. Also, I think you should revisit the last 2-3 years and see what got added to the game and then make a good comparison.
    Last edited by Khlin; Mar 30th, 2012 at 19:19:53.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by intelknight View Post
    I agree with above - biggest issue with complete removal of cities will be the loss of buffs they provide to ALL the members of the org, even those who never do Alien raids or use GMS. So I am all for Maofex's suggestion of moving player cities into an instanced area. The access would be limited to org members and their team-mates, just as with the apartments.

In addition to buffs and alien raids, cities provide an important psychological satisfaction of an MMO - the need to leave a mark in the world, i.e. build something permanent that others can see and admire. Taking cities out of public area limits "others" to one's own org, but it is still better than nothing.

Aside from that, kudos to Lindelu on the market update - it eliminates a boring mechanical activity, and it will make GMS more active meaning easier access to items and more money for one's loot. I also note similarities with AoC market system, so further kudos on capitalizing on existing expertize (instead of re-inventing the wheel).
    did you forget instanced cities exist?

Quote Originally Posted by -Bugsplat View Post
    I'd support the removal of all hecklers.

People need to remember that the levels leading to 220 are not simply a means to an end.
    Worthwhile alternatives not cutting out game stuff; valid for both encounters and items... /thread
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

I am not a supporter of removing auto attack. Will pet guard be removed as well? Will a pet even defend itself?

Auto attack helps when you get interrupted from real life, another player, or AO lagging. Sometimes in a big lagging fight, AUTO Attack seems to be the only thing you can trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    It's been a month already?!
    We need to have a talk, time.

So, everyone get to TL and find all the broken things
    We'll be working hard to get them fixed as the reports roll in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    14. The status on transferring chars from live to test. Last I heard this was disabled/broken.

Linde Edit: We are aware of it although I haven't gotten an ETA on when it will be working again sadly

I'd like to report this as broken so it can get fixed puh-lease.
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

Great to hear of all the good work - makes me glad I went paid recently.

Do have a couple of concerns. Afk /pet hunt was always a bit dangerous ("hey boss, look at the new friend I brought back") but it was incredibly useful when getting LOS would be deadly or just blow the mission. With careful timing and placement you could pick off the mobs around a boss without aggroing the boss. And it made it possible to find Shadow Cenobites with a lot more classes without an investment in Perception that is otherwise wasted in PVM. Not happy.

Nervous about the loss of auto-attack also. Don't use it that often, because it can mess up the course of a fight. But when I have to go afk for a quick break, or more frequently when I start to get a lot of disconnects, it can be a lifesaver. One of the nicer features of my shotgun NT experiment; on the all too frequent occasions when there was a disconnect during a fight I usually still survived just from the shotgun auto-attacks. Now for every class (except for pets with Guard set) disconnect will be far more fatal.

Going to miss the outside cities, they added a lot of flavor to the landscape. And REALLY liked "bar-hopping" to save those long runs. No comment re alien raids since I've been paid for too short a time to have a clue.

Especially like a re-tooling of the Omni cities. Have toons in both camps, but one reason I almost always go clan is how much I hate travelling forever and getting lost a lot in the Omni cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    Worthwhile alternatives not cutting out game stuff; valid for both encounters and items... /thread
    So you mean other ways to not play the game and get to 220 as quickly as possible?

BRILLIANT.
    Screwed over for the last time.

Go find a new game to play, this one no longer deserves respect.

"Cross dimensional trade" is the most exciting thing I've seen in a long time. I see serious steps being taken toward a server merge, which makes me want to resub. I already love this game - I don't really care about balance and the new engine as long as there is a reasonable population to play.

I love all the changes...except one. The +nano dmg multiplier. This means 200 NT's casting jobe nukes will be even more op, and MP's that spam Mind quake will just kill you faster, don't bother telling me to 'get more NR' Nr is broken even in nr6 I was nuked/drained/blinded etc. I like the direction and pace at which you guys are suddenly moving under new management, but please consider these changes not from a high tower over looking AO in context to what appears to be great ideas and get a little closer and see that nukes are not a problem for nano professions. I see a lot of NT's !logon as 20,30,40k+++ dmg, That's not (hopefully) as you saw this happening.

The items and credits will be delivered to your in game email inbox (please note emails still times out after 2 weeks)
    Wait...a mail containing creds for each item sold? That's not good. What happens if I'm on vacation while an item is sold? The money just poofs?

The email timeouts should be addressed anyway, IMO, as I'm pretty sure the volume of use of the mail system is WAY below whatever you guys anticipated.

Cross-dimensional trade system
    Not sure how I feel on this one yet. It will definitely cause some change to both dimensions' economies.

A small fee will be deducted when creating a buy or a sell order and a small tax will be deducted from the seller when an item is bought to prevent players from abusing the system
    I think you grossly misjudge what most of the playerbase would consider 'negligible cost'. As long as it's available, this will most definitely be abused by players looking to move their gear between dimensions no matter what.

We all think that it's really cool with outdoor cities and we may come to re-purpose them, but once we're ready to migrate to a new server we're going to disable the outdoor cities.
    You'd better fix the hackjob that is current instanced cities first then.

1. Cookie-cutter plot layout SUCKS. PLEASE consider adding some kind of editor to allow movement of buildings and ground textures.

2. The whole current door-key system is a pain in the rear. What I'd personally like to see added are entries to the Org Grid Exit to go to any team member's city. Hell, that would come in VERY handy right now.

3. Oh, yeah, and make beacon warp work.

And, while on the topic of server merge, Faction change forms for all possible options please.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Mar 30th, 2012 at 20:02:45.
    Because Race Yalm

Im still curious what u mean by putting new "mechanics" in "vendors".
    Items/buffs/new options/explanation of AO aspects/nerfs/tweaks/strategies/database files

Quote Originally Posted by orochi3 View Post
    Im still curious what u mean by putting new "mechanics" in "vendors".
    Items/buffs/new options/explanation of AO aspects/nerfs/tweaks/strategies/database files
    I think its more of, in order to get at the phatz the vendor might have for you, by sell or gift, they first will tell you about an aspect of the game, perhaps one pertaining to the phatz you get.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    So you mean other ways to not play the game and get to 220 as quickly as possible?

BRILLIANT.
    I think the "worthwhile alternatives" was key in the statement. I'll agree with the argument of: why remove something if you can add a worthwhile alternative instead? So instead of doing hecks, give a viable option to do something else. Changes shouldn't be made soley to limit a player or to retard a characters progression.
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

hot damn. well worth the monthly wait for such positive news. love the general attitude coming from Development since, well... anyway, good stuff.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

yes they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    i disagree. people that twink usually don't level their twinks. and no, slapping on some 125 imps, a predset and a half-decent gun at 60 isn't called twinking. it's called gearing a toon to be passable while levelling. same with the 160 retwink before heading into inf. that's just basic maintenance. it's nothing to be proud of, just like putting on clean underwear is nothing to be proud of. i'm pretty sure the people that make real twinks (25 trader that can solo aztur, 150 s10 twinks, etc) don't go out and level them as soon as they're done.
    Hey, anything I need buffs from others, perk resets, or gear swapping to equip I consider twinking (some people just do more of those things than others )
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Even though Means is gone, its nice to know the team still has the same enthusiasm and is still chuggin along to keep this game going. You guys are awesome

New Global Market Interface

Requirements:
    • Free players can browse the market
    What's the point of being able to see what's for sale if you can't buy anything? A prime market is there for paid players to be able to sell their "junk" (i.e. items/weapons/armor only good for RK play ) to fr00bs, yet fr00bs get cut out of the shop yet again. I seem to recall Means proclaiming fr00bs to be as much a part of the game as paid players, yet again we see that's not true.

We all think that it's really cool with outdoor cities and we may come to re-purpose them, but once we're ready to migrate to a new server we're going to disable the outdoor cities. We are currently determining the best way to reimburse org leaders.
    Simple. Give them an instanced city with the same buildings/features they had and move on.

I need to leave the team alone so they have time to get some more work done before I can justify making another video...
    Seriously? Years of work and that 1 minute hodgepodge video was all that could be made from current progress?

The current GUI leaves much to be desired, however it's built in a very rigid system that doesn't allow for much improvement so we are considering ripping it out completely and rebuilding it, although we've not made any time estimates on when this will happen.
    There really shouldn't be any consideration needed. Rip it out and build a new one.

At the same time we are also disabling pets' ability to hunt by themselves, a feature that in it's current state technically borderlines breaking the EULA policy...
    As do most of the currently accepted third party tools that FC will not officially endorse but yet allow. If you're going to start changing years of accepted gameplay practice due to EULA concerns, then you need to hit the full spectrum.

And Vhab is back! so we will see his graphical character selection screen make it into the game in the next update, and along with this a more streamlined launcher. Release date to be announced (:
    Nice to see this finally.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast