Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    To me it sounded more like "move to a brand new server which we can patch easier, put more than 8 slot in account selection and sustain more ppl than 2 server population together from 5 years ago.
    Whole purpose of migration to new server are auto increment DB columns, which are hitting upper limits and starts from 0 at the new server. Someone may remember related bugs about half a year ago. There wont be changes to client-server-db architecture, functions, models. This changes need same amount of work at both new and old. So don't expect more then 8 chars per account.
    Dragocz RK1

Are you removing NT AOEs too? And what about CH agg and Mongo smash? Are you removing player citys? I'm confused here. Are you doing something stupid again, like you did with Pande?

Except from the "new player experience" (which is WAAAY late) The only positive thing i could find was "Free players can browse the market"

That graphic engine better be close, cause that patch preview looks like /facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    New Global Market Interface
    The new GMS sounds great, however is there any chance for a froob to purchase the rights to buy/sell without becoming a subscriber like with the mail system one-time $5 fee?

We all think that it's really cool with outdoor cities and we may come to re-purpose them, but once we're ready to migrate to a new server we're going to disable the outdoor cities. We are currently determining the best way to reimburse org leaders. However, this is not going to happen suddenly, we will announce it at least a couple of months before and we are not there yet.
    I do like the fact the cities are being removed from the outdoors, imho they never truly felt part of the landscape of AO (all 3 factions looks almost identical). Does this mean that the move of Atlantean and Rimor to a new server (hopefully named Rubi-Ka) will be done this year?

The Engine
    From what I'm reading, the close Beta may not happen for at least another 2-3 months. Test Live is likely to be the first stop for an open beta, do you see this happening within the next 6 months?

The New Player Experience...
    Wow, so much great info!

You mention "profession specific", does this means that the NPE will teach new players about all 14 professions in detail before they create their character, or will it only explain the character profession they've already created?

Also, by making a new character creation process... will the Morningstar Station intro be removed? that is one of the coolest things when you start the game.

I got to say it's weird that we can see the Battlestations in orbit when we look at the sky, but no sign of Morningstar. Maybe there is room there to make it more interactive?

The GUI rebuild does sound good, specially if new improvements like online guild listing could be implemented. Due to the current "big 3" this is most likely to be tackled in 2013 rather than this year, but would you be so kind to consider sharing the "How to skin the AO GUI" since you will be making a brand new one.

The Systems Changes...
    Systems changes, ok I can dig that. I like the first change, nano users getting same benefit, got it, nice. Thanks for posting the list of items being changed.

Regarding pets not timing out... one word: WOHOO!!!!

Yeah, thanks for that one. I think removing /pet hunt is a risky move, but one which is justifiable in the larger picture of the systems changes.

The change in AOE is nice, getting killed coming out of the grid because I forgot to removed an AOE in my NCU was one of the most frustrating things when I played my crat. Specially since I don't PvP. Thank you.

The Next Update...
    I'm really looking forward to all these positive changes. Lots of info in this month's update. Well done.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I'd be for free accounts being able to get buying/selling privileges on the new GMS for a small 1 time fee like access to the mail system was. They could even bundle it with mail system access(I haven't played recently so I am guessing froobs are still barred from sending mail).

Though I'd love it if froobs got buying/selling outright for free, you do have to bear in mind that if it was made so, it could be abused. There ARE like 2 or 3 credit selling services that somehow are still around and would probably leap at the chance to use this to move their "wares".

I like that your are lowering the PVP flag duration.

I'd make ALL flags (tower, pvp, mission) last 5 mins.

Buy orders? This should lower prices in gms.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Some folks consider player cities a blight on the landscape
    Damn straight.
    For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

Only good things about cities are whomps and one extra grid exit...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

The whole auto atk and pet hunt being removed sound absurd after all these years. Changing the game to fit a EULA is wrong you change the EULA to fit the game. The first step in game design is not consulting a lawyer to write a EULA then begin the design.

how about fixing ely and taking that forced lag out. it did nothing to fix the kiting problem, all you have to do is jump around to get past it. it's nothing more then an annoyance at this point.
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

BTW, as there isn't better place to talk about up coming market, one question more:
    Is there ability to but order for certain range of QL as well as QL, such as 192-300 or 240-300QL

Or just 195-200QL ?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by CoachB View Post
    I'd be for free accounts being able to get buying/selling privileges on the new GMS for a small 1 time fee like access to the mail system was. They could even bundle it with mail system access(I haven't played recently so I am guessing froobs are still barred from sending mail).

Though I'd love it if froobs got buying/selling outright for free, you do have to bear in mind that if it was made so, it could be abused. There ARE like 2 or 3 credit selling services that somehow are still around and would probably leap at the chance to use this to move their "wares".
    Put a level limit on fr00bs for accessing the mail, say level 50 before they can access. No gold spammer will level toon after toon to 50. Plus, barring mail hasn't stopped the goldspammers in all chat channels and sending /tells to anyone they can find through the /lft and /who system.

And frankly, systems are being abused everyday by both fr00bs and paid players using multiple fr00b accounts as nothing but storage. Might be fine when there's a pittance of population, but if/when they do get a lot of players back, all those "fr00banks" are just cluttering the DB and taking up names otherwise useable by actual players.

That needs to be dealt with as well. Right now, you can't multi-log on Test because it crashes the game. They need to leave that as a feature when it hits Live.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Mar 31st, 2012 at 19:44:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Right now, you can't multi-log on Test because it crashes the game. They need to leave that as a feature when it hits Live.
    I'm usually not one to say what will kill the game.. but this suggestion quoted above. will kill the game. Take away my ability to multi-log, at this late point in the game, and I would no longer even know how to function on a day to day basis playing. That might be sad. but it is true.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Put a level limit on fr00bs for accessing the mail, say level 50 before they can access. No gold spammer will level toon after toon to 50. Plus, barring mail hasn't stopped the goldspammers in all chat channels and sending /tells to anyone they can find through the /lft and /who system.
    imo they should just make it a 15 euro/month fee

And frankly, systems are being abused everyday by both fr00bs and paid players using multiple fr00b accounts as nothing but storage. Might be fine when there's a pittance of population, but if/when they do get a lot of players back, all those "fr00banks" are just cluttering the DB and taking up names otherwise useable by actual players.
    yes. because names like "lazybank" and "lazysymbs" are names someone would want for a playtoon

That needs to be dealt with as well. Right now, you can't multi-log on Test because it crashes the game. They need to leave that as a feature when it hits Live.
    are you willing to fork over the 15 euro/month/account that people pay for that privilage of multilogging to remove it?

Right now, you can't multi-log on Test because it crashes the game. They need to leave that as a feature when it hits Live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I'm usually not one to say what will kill the game.. but this suggestion quoted above. will kill the game. Take away my ability to multi-log, at this late point in the game, and I would no longer even know how to function on a day to day basis playing. That might be sad. but it is true.
    I'm multilogging on test right now. Which makes me think you're experiencing the effect of a bug.

May I suggest reporting this bug in the bugreport forum, along with system specifications and what other programs (such as antivirus software) are running?

It may also help tracking down the cause if you ensure you're not running any applications which extract information from AO when trying to multilog on test. Examples of such applications would be Anarchy Online Items Assistant, Clicksaver or my PlanetMap Viewer. If the crash only occurs while such third party programs are running, it's likely not AOs fault.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

One question. Will we get a org interface if the default gui is replaced? It should be a priority as orgbots are so 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by x999 View Post
    One question. Will we get a org interface if the default gui is replaced? It should be a priority as orgbots are so 2001.
    Personally I prefer Orgbots simply because they are modifiable.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    The way things seems to be going they will end up banned cause of EULA possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    You shouldn't have to run a 3rd-party chatbot to get basic functionality like "who the hell is online"
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    You shouldn't have to run a 3rd-party chatbot to get basic functionality like "who the hell is online"
    Enjoy your basic[ally-useless] functionality then.
    Because Race Yalm

That would just limit multilogging to those with more than one computer.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast