Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: June 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Please tell me where I stated in my post, or even implied that people were sitting around trial camping it with the hopes of waiting for a flagged person. I do not believe anyone in game does that. But what I have witnessed on multiple occasions is people taking advantage of a PvP opportunity when they see someone flagged of the opposite faction while waiting. THAT is what I said.. not that trial has become the new Borealis.
    Enough people have either implied or stated this directly that its not worth syphoning through everyone's "facts" to determine who said it in this exact way. Either the flags are getting you killed and it is a problem, or they are not getting you killed and you are complaining about the possiblity of a problem. Both are justifiable reasons to complain but "SL trial spawn campers" is not realistic...whoever says it

Why does it take you 5 min to get from Borealis to trial with a flag? I feel like I"m missing something.
    If I was just engaged in PVP, I would generally want to wait till my flag ran out before I tried to leave the area. Also with friendly contagious flags now I am actually courteous enough, and patient enough, to wait a few minutes for it to run out.

You don't have to be in borealis flagged to get the flag in the first place. But that being said, during the time I play AO.. there is always PvP going on in Borealis Maybe it is a time zone thing or something.

This is VERY common. Most people with any sort of common sense don't just stand idle in one spot doing absolutely nothing while on LFT. Most people engage in something else that they can do without a team in the interim. If the person happens to like PvP then guess what they're doing while waiting for a leveling team.

Ok common sense thing, I thought but...If they have to /terminate to get to the garden then that should clear the flag.. so obviously the people that are flagging people in inferno are getting there either via a garden key transportation statue or using a recall beacon. This type of player is also more likely to be someplace pvping.

No idea where the 1min came in but if someone is actively PvPing 'someplace' and gets an invite then they're otw for the mish.

Seriously? Does it surprise you that players in AO don't care about how their actions affect other players not interested in PvP. Are we playing the same game?

Again.... lol

And this was my point. I dont want to have to wait out flags in order to PvM when members of the team that were not engaging in PvP, to start, get flagged. and in a RI situation it is really tough to lose a flag unless you basically disband the team.
    You just broke apart a total statement to argue individual points. Those generally need to occur in the same instance for a player to bring a flag to inferno trial area where teammates are. In otherwords, you pretty much need a 220 with a shadowlands recall beacon active and an inferno garden key, has recieved a team invite close to the same time he obtains his PVP flag, does not wait out the flag because he is a jerk, and does not warn the team because he is still a jerk. There are exceptions (1 out of 1000 pre 220's might have both an inf garden key and the desire to PVP around 220s), but in the end for what you did describe as a common occurance of people being flagged in your teams is not something that I can believe is happening all the time.

My point, I think people are making a much bigger deal out of this than it really is. Flags should rarely last long enough to make it to SL and even if they do dieing there is much more unlikely.
    Last edited by Gatester; Jul 11th, 2012 at 00:35:39.

I think the point is that a PvM'er who was not involved in a PvP related event/action should NOT have to worry about getting a flag anywhere in the game under any circumstances.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    Enough people have either implied or stated this directly that its not worth syphoning through everyone's "facts" to determine who said it in this exact way. Either the flags are getting you killed and it is a problem, or they are not getting you killed and you are complaining about the possiblity of a problem. Both are justifiable reasons to complain but "SL trial spawn campers" is not realistic...whoever says it
    You quoted and responded to me. I did NOT indicate or even imply that there were Inferno trial spawn campers. If someone did then reply to their post with your statements and not to mine where it does not apply. I cannot take responsibility for what other people on these forums say.

If I was just engaged in PVP, I would generally want to wait till my flag ran out before I tried to leave the area. Also with friendly contagious flags now I am actually courteous enough, and patient enough, to wait a few minutes for it to run out.
    You might be courteous but do you honestly feel that the majority of AO players give 2 shakes of a rat's behind about whether or not they flag up their entire team? From my experience the answer is NO. They flag up teams and entire raid forces because they're inconsiderate to begin with and there is no shortage of inconsiderate a-hats in AO. As for waiting out your flag. Yes, that is the smart thing to do but if you don't care about the effects on your team (or don't know) then why wait out a flag when you're already openly flagged in Borealis.. not like you're worried about being ganked anywhere if you're not worried about it happening there. I don't get your logic here.

You just broke apart a total statement to argue individual points. Those generally need to occur in the same instance for a player to bring a flag to inferno trial area where teammates are. In otherwords, you pretty much need a 220 with a shadowlands recall beacon active and an inferno garden key, has recieved a team invite close to the same time he obtains his PVP flag, does not wait out the flag because he is a jerk, and does not warn the team because he is still a jerk. There are exceptions (1 out of 1000 pre 220's might have both an inf garden key and the desire to PVP around 220s), but in the end for what you did describe as a common occurance of people being flagged in your teams is not something that I can believe is happening all the time.
    Most people nowadays get inferno keys at 160, that I know and team. It isn't tough to farm inf patterns and it certainly doesn't take much effort to pay 50-100m for a spot on a key team. What makes you think this is some sort of exception? I'm not sure what type of leveling/teaming experience you've had in the past 2 years but inf keys aren't rare items anymore.. they havent been for many years.

In theory what you are saying (with the stars coming into alignment) sounds far-fetched but the reality is quite different. A lot of people playing the game now have recall beacons, for instance. In fact, I'd say a good majority of the people I team with have them and most people have keys. And, again, not only 220 end-game players PvP or get flags so its not unreasonable that a 215+ is PvPing. As for people with manners... I don't see any point in further going over that. If the way that people talk to each other on these forums isn't, alone, enough evidence to show the lack of manners and respect players have for one another than nothing else I could say would convince you otherwise. People don't give a d*** about how their actions affect other players, if you get PvP flagged or not.. some think its funny even and the best case scenarios are the people that don't read patch notes or forums to even know that the flag situation changed (I run into that A LOT) so have no idea that their flag is going to affect the team.

My point, I think people are making a much bigger deal out of this than it really is. Flags should rarely last long enough to make it to SL and even if they do dieing there is much more unlikely.
    And my point is that regardless of how unlikely YOU think it is.. it is actually happening. Unless you're calling me a lier (which is pretty much what saying someone is exaggerating equates to) then your opinion on the matter is not relevant when compared against the facts of what I experience. It could be that there is some special thing where I team people more than the average AO player.

Regardless, I post on the forums to relay how things are affecting "me" and if other people chime in and say "yep, me too" then perhaps you are the one that needs to consider that you just happen to qualify for the category of player that it does not happen to and leave it at that.. rather than try to tear apart my in-game experience as if I'm making it up or imagining what is happening to me.

Now I will tell you that since I dinged 220 on my enfo, virtually stopped doing inf mission and stopped doing raids for gear for that toon, this daily flagging has stopped. Stopped as in grinded to a screeching halt. Does that mean that it is not still happening to people that are doing missions and raiding regularly simply because I'm not engaging in those activities at the moment (and mainly solo farming stuff with a very small group of known people)? Do you understand where I'm going with this? If I were to base the validity of claims like mine off of my experience in the past week then I'd also say it isn't that big of a deal since I'm not experiencing it.

As stated many times, if I want to PvP that should be a decision I make.. not something forced upon me by really jacked up game mechanics.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jul 11th, 2012 at 01:07:44.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    I'm standing in Borealis right now on both servers. More people on RK2.
    is that minus the giant GSP party in our org space in RK1?
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    is that minus the giant GSP party in our org space in RK1?
    Yeah...GSP doesn't count.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Yeah...GSP doesn't count.
    Cause all those afk script dancers double the RK1 population
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    We looked into the org tax functionality awhile back... it's not working as one would think it works (lets just say it has issues), and it's something we want to revisit when we get to more comprehensive org improvements... but this is down the road. It's not something we have time to touch right now due to everything that's going on. The team felt a better, and more immediate feature to give orgs an income is the building/market house.
    Then WHY are you only making the Tax Refund bldg available to orgs with large cities and/or to farmers who don't care if they have room for 'buffing' bldgs ... just need a small HQ, sat-uplink, small ECM and Tax refund bldg.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Then WHY are you only making the Tax Refund bldg available to orgs with large cities and/or to farmers who don't care if they have room for 'buffing' bldgs ... just need a small HQ, sat-uplink, small ECM and Tax refund bldg.

Kinnik
    Because I think I've figured it out. Every decision so far has been what is easiest to do. Whatever is fastest. When given the option to choose quality or quantity, they have chosen quantity. And that's the way it's going to be.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    I think the point is that a PvM'er who was not involved in a PvP related event/action should NOT have to worry about getting a flag anywhere in the game under any circumstances.
    This.^

Because I think I've figured it out. Every decision so far has been what is easiest to do. Whatever is fastest. When given the option to choose quality or quantity, they have chosen quantity. And that's the way it's going to be.
    And this.^

I suspect the tax refund building is so huge because they really don't want the credits going into org rent, just the plain credit sink that is there today.

Now they can say to the whiner's; "Shup, we gave you some of the taxes back, you just have to remove the rest of your buildings to get it in your city, easypeasy, not like anyone have a use for those buffs"
    NO U

Perhaps, but the footprint of the building has nothing to do with how hard or long it takes to program or code this new tax refund building.

The coding or programming could be 'attached' to the Hot-dog stand that was released with this year's anniversary party. Link the coding to the stand and have any player interaction coded into conversation with the vendor.

The decision to make the Tax Refund building noticeably bigger than the Market it replaces was purely a subjective decision on Funcom's part. There is no technical reason to make it that size.

Moving us all to the new GMI ... that has valid technical reasons and it can be adjusted or tweaked to make it more functional for the playerbase. It moved a lot of functions off the game servers and it allows all factions/servers to buy/sell from each other.

Some of the logic for the PvP changes did have technical reasons as well apparently ... something about area aura's causing more lag than team aura's. Even if the vote is still out if it was the best choice for eliminating 'pocket' pvp issues.

Later when we all get moved to one new server ... also valid technical/monetary reasons.

Making the Tax Refund floorplan 15x15 has nothing to do with lag, or servers, or technical issues, or anything objective ... it is purely a subjective decision ... which means whoever made it can change their mind if they want to.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    something about area aura's causing more lag than team aura's.
    Less players = less lag. That must be one of their ideologies as well because that seems to be their biggest help. If that was their main reason, it would have been done years ago when lag was an issue. With today's population, I rarely see lag that would be caused by such an issue.
    Facebook

Less players = less lag. That must be one of their ideologies as well because that seems to be their biggest help. If that was their main reason, it would have been done years ago when lag was an issue. With today's population, I rarely see lag that would be caused by such an issue.
    Not to mention the only thing about auras that could cause lag is the visuals, which would be graphics lag, not server lag. There would be no performance increase server side at all. The only way to see lag reduction in the case of auras would be for people with sucky comps to turn their graphics down.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Not to mention the only thing about auras that could cause lag is the visuals, which would be graphics lag, not server lag. There would be no performance increase server side at all. The only way to see lag reduction in the case of auras would be for people with sucky comps to turn their graphics down.
    Or by running game with engine using something else than DX 7 ...

Quote Originally Posted by fakiiri View Post
    Or by running game with engine using something else than DX 7 ...
    Honestly, if someone is getting graphic lag from a dx7 game, their comp is going to fry with a dx9 engine.

In otherwords, you pretty much need a 220 with a shadowlands recall beacon active and an inferno garden key, has recieved a team invite close to the same time he obtains his PVP flag, does not wait out the flag because he is a jerk, and does not warn the team because he is still a jerk. There are exceptions (1 out of 1000 pre 220's might have both an inf garden key and the desire to PVP around 220s), but in the end for what you did describe as a common occurance of people being flagged in your teams is not something that I can believe is happening all the time.
    If you are saved in pande all you need to do is recall to scheol sanctuary ( very easy to get key) and jump off the island to go to your last save spot, if you don't have a recall beacon, as an Omni you grid to 2HO, whompa to 10:3 and use the unredeemed travel statue a little bit south of the whompa, takes less than a minute. Getting the pure novictum ring for pande access ofc. takes a bit of help but no were near the effort of getting inf keys.
    So really, going RK-> trial is pretty fast any way you look at it.
    Also: "shadowlands recall beacon active", with the recently shortened recharge on that beacon, it is usable every 4 min or so with skill lock mods from crap symbs.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Honestly, if someone is getting graphic lag from a dx7 game, their comp is going to fry with a dx9 engine.
    So you mean my 4,5GHz, 8GB, Radeon 6870 ain't powerfull enough to run the game when never titles run just smoothly without any problems and use 50% less cpu... right

So you mean my 4,5GHz, 8GB, Radeon 6870 ain't powerfull enough to run the game when never titles run just smoothly without any problems and use 50% less cpu... right
    DX9 will actually run much, much smoother and with less lag. Your high end graphics card does basically nothing for AO because of how DX7 sucks at optimizing graphics cards. The CPU does almost all of the graphical rendering, hence the huge strain on the CPU in comparison to newer games.
    Facebook

DX9 will actually run much, much smoother and with less lag. Your high end graphics card does basically nothing for AO because of how DX7 sucks at optimizing graphics cards. The CPU does almost all of the graphical rendering, hence the huge strain on the CPU in comparison to newer games.
    Exactly

I stand in the middle of the PvP'ers in Bor with all the auras, buffs, etc. and get no graphic lag. I run in teams through dungeons with auras, buffs, etc. pulsing all over the place and get no graphic lag.

And my 2 year old Pentium Dual-Core 3.2GHz CPU right now is sitting at 55% with AO running, AO item assistant and clicksaver running, task manager, rivatuner, Steam,and firefox running with two tabs open while I type this. I'm using 2 out of 4gb of 1333mHz DDR3 ram. My GTX460 1gb DDR5 GPU is sitting at 41% load. This is with Windows 8.

So yes, if you're having a worse experience with graphic lag than I am, then I'd dare say there's a problem on your end somewhere.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Jul 11th, 2012 at 06:55:42.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast