Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: June 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ???
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying

Courtesy of Rocker
    Checkmate.

This is why I give low credence to anything promised, or even talked about, by the dev team(s).

An honest question back at the producer: once you get a good number of meaningful answers to this question, will you do anything about it?
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    An honest question back at the producer: once you get a good number of meaningful answers to this question, will you do anything about it?
    If we are lucky, she will pick 1 that is very easy to answer. You know, a politician's reply.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Fix OMHH
    Fix Mongo
    Remove AS pistol
    Lockout 1he/1hb perks working simultaneously like you should have the first time
    Fix Devastating Blow so it's 100% vs 100% instead of 100% vs 50%
    Fixers with EVERY ranged special
    Buff Agent PvM damage
    Remove RI spammability
    Remove effing Triples
    Nerf Crats more, they are still godmode

I'll stop there as that's enough for 1 patch.
    And that would help how? I mean sure, it might please 3 out of the 10 players left in AO.

But in the bigger picture it might be a bad move. For a lot more people the engine is more important than dealing with poorly balanced classed as well as others being willing to close their eyes to class balance for the sake of the engine and a new player experience that could increase AO's player retention.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    And that would help how? I mean sure, it might please 3 out of the 10 players left in AO..
    She asked for an answer that the community wouldn't consider to be a "lie", "false promise" or "vaporware".

Those are all things the community has complained about for years now that we would consider to be long-awaited fixes. Fix that and I might start to believe a word the dev team says again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    It's a good question. I'll have to see what the answers are. For example, considering Kopecz 's post, I'm not sure exactly how releasing internal deadlines is going to help. According to some of the feedback, nobody is going to believe any dates we release until we hit them (or don't), and it seems like until then it would just be troll bait. And there's nothing I can really do about that considering I joined the project 7 months ago. I have no particular desire to defend a past I wasn't here for, but it is what it is.

I think the engine video was a fairly good example of where we were at the time, which is why I wasn't fussed about the bugs (headless shadows, popping rocks, etc)... because the new engine in fact has bugs. I get that people in the community and specifically on these forums think the video was a trick, or it's all faked somehow. How much of that sentiment is genuine, and how much is trolling, I can't really say. But like... just understand that for the future it doesn't exactly justify spending time making community oriented "this is where we are" videos. Fortunately the most recent engine video was done for external PR anyway, and that was pretty successful.

But the fact is we have... 5 years worth of promised features we're trying to get out. It's fairly unfortunate it ended up this way, but that's the job we have ahead of us and it involves making tough and sometimes unpopular decisions. I'd like to communicate those decisions on the forums to the community & give some insights into our progress, but only if I feel in the specific cases it would actually be helpful to the situation.
    Last edited by Ilaliya; Jul 9th, 2012 at 20:10:06.

I was right!
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.

Fix mongo
    Fix pets
    WTB /pet hunt back
    hmmm Cookies
    Also fix taunts plz.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    WTB /pet hunt back
    i didn't know you supported afk levelling...

I'd realy like to see some consistency in the reasoning behind major game changes.

The most recent being "we're taking away auto attack and pet hunt becauss we badly designed 2 small areas in the game, rather than fix them to prevent unatended gameplay, we hit everyone with a hammer"

I dont agree with the dev teams method of *fixing* this problem but i was not suprised to see the stupid rout taken first.

What realy annoyed me about that whole thing is that the REALY big, blatantly obvious form of unatended gameplay was left untouched.
    1 NT and 5 afk team members is FINE but 2 guys using pet hunt to take advantage of a dev created problem isnt?
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    i didn't know you supported afk levelling...
    I've yet to find a way to currently afk level with pet hunt. Anything thaat could come close to it, you would die within 5 minutes of trying it. They already fixed the ai coon exploit in arid rift by removing axp from them and they fixed spirit rooms by adding the DoT.
    Facebook

unfortunately sploit discussions are not allowed on the forums, but there are plenty of ways to afk level with /pet hunt.

It's no longer in game and no longer an explooit...post away!
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    I think the engine video was a fairly good example of where we were at the time, which is why I wasn't fussed about the bugs (headless shadows, popping rocks, etc)... because the new engine in fact has bugs. I get that people in the community and specifically on these forums think the video was a trick, or it's all faked somehow. How much of that sentiment is genuine, and how much is trolling, I can't really say. But like... just understand that for the future it doesn't exactly justify spending time making community oriented "this is where we are" videos.
    The video had been once again promised years ago by Means, so once it's delivered you kinda have high expectations.

About the video itself, i felt it was overly produced, to the point you can't know if it's the engine or the guy goin mad on photoshop/aftereffect postprocesses. The editing was crap and half the vid was wasted with FC logo and useless FX editing & flashes. Turns out it was a little commercial vid with not much in it, but i guess if it was for PR it was fine. Because of the 1st half of the video overused post process FX (which clearly ain't part of the engine), how can we know if the 2nd half is honest ? Beside, if it has to take you 2 years+ to do 1 minute video, just stop. My roomate could do that in a day.

I personnally was expecting somefin a lot longer, w/o so much editing crap. Something more honest. Show us dem bugs. Show us dem awesome godray and lightnings. Just turn on FRAPS, record, and post the material.
    Last edited by Djiax; Jul 9th, 2012 at 20:51:25.

But the fact is we have... 5 years worth of promised features we're trying to get out. It's fairly unfortunate it ended up this way, but that's the job we have ahead of us and it involves making tough and sometimes unpopular decisions. I'd like to communicate those decisions on the forums to the community & give some insights into our progress, but only if I feel in the specific cases it would actually be helpful to the situation.
    Previous GDs have all said this paragraph, worded differently and each one has left their 'legacy' mark on the game, sometimes good, mostly bad.

What consistently baffles me about your 5 years of promised features is that we heard about fantastic new and exciting features that the game desperately needed, we all got hyped and began theorycrafting around these changes, because that is the type of community we are and then...

Nothing. Not a damn peep for years.

"HEY GUYS WERE GOING TO FIX PARRY AND RIPOSTE! YES! WOO YOU CAN PLUCK BULLETS OUT OF THE AIR LIKE IN THE MATRIX WOW!"

What was the last thing we heard about this change? Hell, I can't actually even remember.

"WERE GOING TO MAKE THE GAME RUN IN DX9 ITLL LOOK GREAT YEAH!"

Nearly 6 years later. We have some screenshots and a 1 min vid, 30s of which is taken up by Sony Vegas transitions.

"OK, NOW WE ARE GOING TO REDESIGN EACH PROF FROM THE GROUND UP! BALANCE WILL FINALLY COME TO THE GAME WOO!"

Great. You released spreadsheets for each profession detailing the 'new' nanos but you want to do it all at once instead of giving the profs that NEED the help it as soon as possible. E.G: MP Teaming viability, NT PvP Nukes etc

You mention in your post about being unable to tell if people are trolling when they address certain aspects of the way FC runs this game. Nobody is trolling. The remaining playerbase of Anarchy Online is a bitter and cynical group, it's what happens when you mess people around for over 5 years straight, promising and promising and never actually delivering.

I say 'You', but I address FunCom as a whole. Fair enough, you have come to the team and are already being blamed for the mistakes of your predecessors but we have to point fingers at someone because most of the community has stuck by this game through so much and has devoted so much time to it and all we see is it going full pelt down the road with a sign marked "BRIDGE OUT".

Sure, not every community knows whats best for the game they play, but I IMPLORE you to call a meeting at the office, sit down and go through most of the suggestions listed in the GS forum. Why? Because in that forum you will find some very well thought out and very well formatted ideas that might just save this sinking ship. Main point in case, the damned 'Bugs everyone knows about but have never been fixed' thread.

That shouldn't be too hard considering it's obvious there is far too many 'idea people' within the AO team and not enough 'doing' people. If this wasn't the case, we would have had the engine 2 years ago when all the issues with it were discovered and we would likely be well into the beta testing of the rebalance.

This part is now a personal plea to you Ilaliya. Goto you higher ups and tell them, this game needs more funding, it needs more developers and needs taking in a straight direction and it needs doing NOW. Your predecessors have left you with a very small spoon and a very large heap of sh*t to move, make your mark on the game by saving it, not by drilling more holes into the hull. If they tell you 'Our main focus is TSW', tell them that AO is and always has been their flagship game. You can ask almost anyone who was around in the early EQ/AO/DAoC days who is now usually in their mid to late 20s "Remember Anarchy Online?" and they'll chuckle and say "Yeah, wasn't that FunComs Sci-fi game? It looked pretty good but I never tried it".

Those are the people you are going to be marketing to, not the WoW crowd and most certainly not an ex-playerbase who left because of a lack of direction from the dev team.

Save the game before it is too late. Please.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Fix OMHH
    Fix Mongo
    Remove AS pistol
    Lockout 1he/1hb perks working simultaneously like you should have the first time
    Fix Devastating Blow so it's 100% vs 100% instead of 100% vs 50%
    Fixers with EVERY ranged special
    Buff Agent PvM damage
    Remove RI spammability
    Remove effing Triples
    Nerf Crats more, they are still godmode.
    bandaid suggestions.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Let me ask you an honest question here. Other than a delivered, fully-working engine, what sort of progress indicator would you actually consider meaningful and not a "trick"?
    Fair question. As work gets completed in sections, it would be nice to see real screen shots of the areas, people, places, items, effects, etc. Someone has to look at and approve the work, share a few with us. Start a web page and as things are finished and checked off your list, add a screen shot. No words needed, just drop a screenie in a public folder so it shows up.

Ilaliya, you get to see all the daily, weekly, and monthly progress, we don't. We have only seen a 1 minute video. Our views of the project are much different. The track record of your predecessors does not help. We are frustrated, we hear progress is being made but we don't "see" the progress. Like PvP and fishing stories, if you don't have a pic, it didn't happen. Right now, there is a definite lack of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    bandaid suggestions.
    Which is why the devs will probably look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    That's still a gray zone.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    Discussion of previous exploits is also not allowed.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast