Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: TSW is flopping - affects development of other games?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post

Edit Troll: If you want we can charge for it and call it a booster
    We already figured on that.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    We already figured on that.
    I think we'll be in pretty good shape to start an expansion after the NPE and server merge are done, and engine update goes open beta (which means everyone can/should start using it). Yes, those last 3 are going to be free.

(edited for clarification)

Ilaliya: I told you so.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    But you approved of the edit!

I think we'll be in pretty good shape to start an expansion after the NPE and server merge are done, and engine update goes open beta (which means everyone can/should start using it). Yes, those last 3 are going to be free.

(edited for clarification)
    So that means we can expect things in that order? First NPE(this year), server merge (next year)
    and Engine open beta (2014) ?

I hope my irony will not become true :P

Hope you understand i am trying to lure information out of you

Cheers.

Yeah I can confirm we aren't going to release a booster / expansion in 2012. The biggest block of content we are releasing in 2012 is the New Player Experience... and it's pretty huge.

Confirmed: New engine not coming in 2012.

Last edited by Mastablasta; Aug 20th, 2012 at 19:55:38. Reason: inserted unhappy smiley
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I think your right..

Release promise 2011
    Release promise 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post

confirmed: engine slated tentatively for Q3 2025

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmax View Post
    I think your right..

Release promise 2011
    Release promise 2012
    Does it really matter at this stage? I would rather see new content and more people. If the engine comes great if not so be it.

*goes and hides*

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    confirmed: engine slated tentatively for Q3 2025
    Hell yes! That means AO will be running at least until 2025. Can we have life time subscriptions like TSW please?

But you approved of the edit!
    Only in your imagination. I believe my exact approval was, "I hate you." :P
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Heehee, they never listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmax View Post
    I think your right..

New Engine First Announced 2007
    Beta Promised 2008
    Beta/Release Promise 2009
    Release Promise 2010
    Release promise 2011
    Release promise 2012
    Your list wasn't quite accurate, added for ya.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Aug 20th, 2012 at 20:28:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    The doom came when AO switched from being an MMORPG to MMOSAFKOHWSEK (Massively Multiplayer Online Sitting AFK On Hills While Someone Else Kites.)

Rather than fix the downhill spiral in risk/reward ratio they decided to end any semblance of an ongoing storyline shortly after LoX was released.
    Agree....
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Heehee, they never listen.

Your list wasn't quite accurate, added for ya.
    lol true thx hehe (thought i give them forgiveness for dishing ogre)

That's cool with me, not like I'm going to roll any more alts in any case.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    The doom came when AO switched from being an MMORPG to MMOSAFKOHWSEK (Massively Multiplayer Online Sitting AFK On Hills While Someone Else Kites.)

Rather than fix the downhill spiral in risk/reward ratio they decided to end any semblance of an ongoing storyline shortly after LoX was released.

Agree....
    No i don't think that has any thing to do with low population, finding creative ways
    to level i dont see any problem with really, there are other ways to level fast

The issue i think, and this is what i heard from my AO friends (quite many) and other Game community's. Is in fact that they gave up hope for any engine to come at all. There people who just dont believe it mkey? The design of AO is great even at today, but the rendring
    just dont even touch today's GPU possibilities, the graphics are just to "thin" . If you play
    other games and then swap striate to AO you see what i mean. That said the design of AO
    is hand of art... There are no other game like AO and probably will never be, i really hope the developers see this.

The time sink of this "upgrade processes" is also a reason.

I want to add something i said before. Dont make 2 clients, old and new, make 1 client that is good. I can
    see many issue with assets and new content where this can turn inn to more time sink. AO is huge
    there are many asset objects and playfields, this have to work with the physic engine in Dreamengine,
    and i dont think the current AO client is using the same physic engine as the one in Dreamengine,
    i am talking about playefield collisions object collisions etc. Design that will be made for new engine,
    has to be altered to look "decent" with old client etc. How is this going to work with your asset content designer tool? Dont do it. Rather add more graphic options
    to make people happy.
    Last edited by Ironmax; Aug 20th, 2012 at 21:28:28.

I'm going to go on a little tangent here so please excuse me ahead of time...

What's the current timeline for the release of the New Player Starter area, Server Merge, New Engine and Rebalancing?

If I understood the various posts correctly, rebalancing is being rolled out piece by piece across many patches but what about the other stuff?

Since last year this time I've gone from 3 paid accounts to 2 in May to 1 in August and soon to be 0 in 2 weeks all because I promised myself that until you guys produced 'something' (even went as far as to tell myself that seeing content on Test server would suffice) that I simply can't spend more money. I know we're not supposed to talk about account status so maybe this will get censored but I'm saying it to point out that people are leaving this game everyday. Without exaggeration, 80% of the people that I played with 7 months ago, no longer play today. And to be honest, I think 80% is actually being conservative.

GW2 is out in less than a week, MoP (WoW) is out next month.... what is the current plan to keep AO alive? I know you guys are trying to work hard on the game.. its not a question to bash you but I'm genuinely curious to know how you perceive the state of the game right now and what you plan to do about it short and long term.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Since last year this time I've gone from 3 paid accounts to 2 in May to 1 in August and soon to be 0 in 2 weeks all because I promised myself that until you guys produced 'something' (even went as far as to tell myself that seeing content on Test server would suffice) that I simply can't spend more money. I know we're not supposed to talk about account status so maybe this will get censored but I'm saying it to point out that people are leaving this game everyday. Without exaggeration, 80% of the people that I played with 7 months ago, no longer play today. And to be honest, I think 80% is actually being conservative.
    I'm not opposing what you're saying at all but I have a question; are you sure the majority of people have left because of the lack of patches? Or possibly for other reasons, games or whatnot?

I personally rather not know the deadlines than get a "Q1 next year". I take it for what it is, an understaffed team of developers with a low priority (in the corporate sense) project that will hopefully change once they get TSW under control and more manpower to assign to AO.
    Last edited by Dreamsofnano; Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:40:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsofnano View Post
    I'm not opposing what you're saying at all but I have a question; are you sure the majority of people have left because of the lack of patches? Or possibly for other reasons, games or whatnot?
    You'll find alot of the reasons for leaving parroted by many:

Population Issues,
    Lack of new Content,
    Consistently missed deadlines,
    Engine,
    Rebalance.

The funny thing is, all of these could have been solved by throwing more people at the AO development cycle and then hiring a compentant project manager.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    The funny thing is, all of these could have been solved by throwing more people at the AO development cycle and then hiring a compentant project manager.
    I can't really comment on this as I haven't the first clue about the dev cycle but disregarding my ignorance I hasten to add that the 'all or nothing approach' to the rebalance seems to me like a huge undertaking. I would rather see a rebalance in small increments on a consistent basis with player feedback every week than a whopper of a 'here you go here is the rebalance now give us some feedback on this monster of a patch'.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast