Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Small Update

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    I think it’s a safe bet that most people who read these forums are aware that Funcom has been making structural changes to the organization, in order to streamline the business side of things. There have been a number of press reports and articles I’m not going to link here. But due to the nature of the beast, all projects & teams were affected at Funcom. And yes, we’ve had to make some changes on Anarchy Online. However, this will not make an impact on our priorities and with a couple minor adjustments won’t make a substantial impact on our planned delivery schedule for most features. We’re still going to deliver the features that you guys have been asking for

Two things to keep in mind here:
    [*]Anyone who reads Funcom's quarterly reports should know Anarchy Online is, and has been, “cash-flow positive” which is a fancy way of saying the project itself is extremely secure in terms of the finances. So AO isn’t going anywhere. The adjustments to the AO project were made for external reasons.

[*]In a lot of ways, the AO team has been impacted less than other projects because we had been staffing up in preparation for a couple of members who had been planning to move back to their country of origin in late 2012/early 2013, for purely personal reasons. We had been hoping to benefit from being “overstaffed” for a couple more months, but this can no longer happen.
    This is exactly the same as saying "upto 95% effective". It sounds like you ensure us something but gave no lower bound of anything. So how more profitable is AO becomming at the expense of productivity?

On the subject on AO's profitability I'd be interested in knowing when the in game ads will be returning. I haven't seen one in a long time and on wikipedia it says the company that provided them went out of business a while back. Without them the froobs aren't really paying their share.

Quote Originally Posted by wytsfs View Post
    On the subject on AO's profitability I'd be interested in knowing when the in game ads will be returning. I haven't seen one in a long time and on wikipedia it says the company that provided them went out of business a while back. Without them the froobs aren't really paying their share.
    There was something about a new partnership with a different company, but nothing ever really came of that I guess... froobs do have the itemstore and can buy into other things like the mailsystem. I think they're paying.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Go back to page 2 and read vhab's posts. He addresses your question.

Edit for posterity....I added the emphasis below. (Speaking to the conspiracy theorists out there) And, seriously, if this isn't clear, if you somehow think this means the number of slots will be reduced, then there is no help for you.
    Please explain how you believe that statement by Vhab answers the question being asked? It is a simple question really - and has been asked dozens of times in the forums - "What are the plans for accounts that have full account slots for both RK1 and RK2".
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Go back to page 2 and read vhab's posts. He addresses your question.

Edit for posterity....I added the emphasis below. (Speaking to the conspiracy theorists out there) And, seriously, if this isn't clear, if you somehow think this means the number of slots will be reduced, then there is no help for you.

Thanks, I don't know how I missed that.

won’t make a substantial impact on our planned delivery schedule
    When did u guys institute a "planned delivery schedule"?

but if all goes according to plan we should be able to get something in the hands of players early next year.
    Also known as : Soon(tm)
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Also known as : Soon(tm)
    Sorry bro that's outdated, "Next Year™" is new trademark.
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

One of those years it was going to be Q1.
    Which year was that? *SUMMONS ROCKER*
    You gained 96 PVP Solo Score.
    Angelyna: (03:55) Srompu forces your NCU to run Feet of Stone...
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he's a 220 crat and srompu is probably wearing tl5 symbs
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he deserved to die

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    You don't see people wandering around screaming "THIS BOOK IN THE FIRST PERSON WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER IF THE MAIN CHARACTER WAS A QUASIGENDER HAMSTER ON FIRE".

Quote Originally Posted by sromp View Post
    one of those years it was going to be q1.
    Which year was that? *summons rocker*
    q1 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    q1 2011 launch seems relatively certain
    Last edited by BytEfLUSh2; Sep 3rd, 2012 at 02:04:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessargi View Post
    Bad move. Very bad move. Bad bad bad. I can't emphasize enough how bad it is what you just did.
    I hope for the love of Cthulhu that you know what you are doing because it will backfire so hard once the "D day" comes.

GOOD LUCK! you are going to need it
    I agree there, Ppl will feel that they pay for a white elephant.

I always tried to back you guys and I know what happened lately is affecting everyone, but this time I agree about saying the engine is for next year is a very bad move.

We have been there too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessargi View Post
    Bad move. Very bad move. Bad bad bad. I can't emphasize enough how bad it is what you just did.
    I hope for the love of Cthulhu that you know what you are doing because it will backfire so hard once the "D day" comes.

GOOD LUCK! you are going to need it
    It seems like I missed this post. Damn. Thank you Marcusius.

Anyway, QFT. Why did you even think of doing that, Ilaliya? You're not a noob and you know perfectly well how this is gonna end... Bad Ilaliya!

Bit of a technical question. You mentioned in the update that...

Another benefit [of the server migration] is that we plan to move inventories out of the BLOB structure they’re currently in, so this will save developers and players alike a lot of headaches. It will improve customer service and development, because item data in general will be a lot more accessible to our tools.
    Will this make it possible (or at least easier) to introduce some sort of ingame inventory search? It was implied by Vhab that one of the main limitations on adding such functionality is the BLOB structure, and if you're moving into something easier to work with it seems like that could introduce the opportunity.
    Tonitrum - 215/21 Fixer

Ao doesn't warrant for investment of extra money for engine and other stuff, but it does stay alive which is good to hear. Just have to wait

New server is nice to see and it could bring up some new things. I would like to see shopping outside the game as one...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

We had been hoping to benefit from being “overstaffed” for a couple more months, but this can no longer happen.
    I want to give you credit for the apostrophes, but since that joke is just bad taste, I wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsofnano View Post
    Either way, they could have handled it much better in the past or be more upfront about it.
    You don't get it. The problem with no producer is the fact that the devs simply won't know when there is too much on their plate.

I mean, no doubt means wanted to get every bit of that content out to us, but without the level headedness of an actual producer, he promised more than he could deliver.
    Now that we DO have a producer, I confident that the predictions will be far more accurate as he is most likely limiting decisions, cutting certain things to save time,
    and making all those unpopular decisions that -have- to be made. This goes for any game, the developers always say they can put in this little feature, or add that bit of content,
    but it's the job of the producer to tell them when enough is enough.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    You don't get it. The problem with no producer is the fact that the devs simply won't know when there is too much on their plate.

I mean, no doubt means wanted to get every bit of that content out to us, but without the level headedness of an actual producer, he promised more than he could deliver.
    Yes, but I don't think that's the only reason why stuff has been delayed for years.

We're all doubtful about any delivery date given to us now, especially when so soon (I mean, early 2013 is in 6 months...), but I guess we all want to be proven wrong.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post

Now that we DO have a producer, I confident that the predictions will be far more accurate as he is most likely limiting decisions, cutting certain things to save time,
    and making all those unpopular decisions that -have- to be made. This goes for any game, the developers always say they can put in this little feature, or add that bit of content,
    but it's the job of the producer to tell them when enough is enough.
    I think I do. Engine Beta 2011 Q2. Do you make such a promise without actually thinking... is it realistic to actually mention that if your not sure that it will be done +/- 3 months? How about rebalance this year April?
    Last edited by Dreamsofnano; Sep 4th, 2012 at 10:34:44.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by BytEfLUSh2 View Post
    q1 2011
    I wasn't even on the team until Q3 2011, and Fia wasn't game director until I joined. I'm not sure what sort of response you are looking for, but I've said multiple times that yes we are all aware that mistakes were made in the past. All we can do now is move forward. Personally, I don't find that bringing up things that were said two or three years ago is that constructive. Because as I said, everyone knows the engine has taken way too long.

Illaliya would you mind responding to the question I asked (in an earlier post) regarding whether or not the New Player Experience is still slated to be released this year?

I've gone back and forth a bit, in another thread, regarding priority list vs release order.. ultimately for me, release order is what matters. I'm just curious to know if NPE is still going to be released by the end of this year as you stated a couple weeks ago or if whatever has happened in the past week or so with Funcom has now affected that and it won't be released til after the New Engine (or something else). I guess the whole priority list thing really confused me as I'm not sure how to apply that to release order (if there is even any relation at all).
    Last edited by Traderjill; Sep 4th, 2012 at 17:58:15.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I wasn't even on the team until Q3 2011, and Fia wasn't game director until I joined. I'm not sure what sort of response you are looking for, but I've said multiple times that yes we are all aware that mistakes were made in the past. All we can do now is move forward. Personally, I don't find that bringing up things that were said two or three years ago is that constructive. Because as I said, everyone knows the engine has taken way too long.
    People still bring up how the game had a poor launch, and it's only been 11 years and some months. Don't expect that to go away.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast