Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Small Update

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by LLJKTonitrum View Post
    Bit of a technical question. You mentioned in the update that...

Will this make it possible (or at least easier) to introduce some sort of ingame inventory search? It was implied by Vhab that one of the main limitations on adding such functionality is the BLOB structure, and if you're moving into something easier to work with it seems like that could introduce the opportunity.
    This would be the required technology to have an inventory search to any degree, yes. And not just something player-facing... it will also improve our customer service (looking up lost items, or chasing down exploits involving items), and also make things go faster on the development end in some situations. That inventories are in BLOB structures has implications for tools, features and services that quite frankly add time to things. It also makes the server migration itself easier, because we don't have to repack BLOBs when we move inventory data across.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Illaliya would you mind responding to the question I asked (in an earlier post) regarding whether or not the New Player Experience is still slated to be released this year?
    Depends on a couple of unknowns at this point. Mainly due to how we resolve resource conflicts between work for the Engine and work for the NPE, and the Engine takes priority. We were planning to do both in parallel, but now due to the organizational changes some key work is bottlenecked and has to happen serially (again, with the Engine going first). I will have more specific information for you by the end of this month because we are hoping to resolve the bottleneck in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    I wasn't even on the team until Q3 2011, and Fia wasn't game director until I joined.
    But WE were here.

Do we hold u and Fia personally responsible for the delays? Of course not. Have u seen any posts blasting u guys? I havent. Be that as it may, "I just got here", is NOT a viable defense when excusing the Funcom delays to the new engine/rebalance.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    But WE were here.

Do we hold u and Fia personally responsible for the delays? Of course not. Have u seen any posts blasting u guys? I havent. Be that as it may, "I just got here", is NOT a viable defense when excusing the Funcom delays to the new engine/rebalance.
    speak for yourself. i hold ilalya and fia PERSONALLY responsible for EVERY wrongdoing done to the community by the entire fc staff since the game launched.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    speak for yourself. i hold ilalya and fia PERSONALLY responsible for EVERY wrongdoing done to the community by the entire fc staff since the game launched.
    I'm holding them responsible for the state of the game at launch.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Inbe4 Ana's sharp claws.

But, truth is, that blaming absent people for a mistake or delay in a job, that you took is lame. Better not take the job to start with then.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Personally, I don't find that bringing up things that were said two or three years ago is that constructive. Because as I said, everyone knows the engine has taken way too long.
    Ah what the hell... maybe you get lucky and if the Maya's were right it wont matter anyway right? And while I'm at it, the AO launch was terrible. I didn't have a Voodoo 3dfx card so walking through Tir was like lag hell. But what else am I gonna do... complain and whinge on the boards about it? I think so.

EDIT: And all the client crashes... in 2001... sigh.
    Last edited by Dreamsofnano; Sep 4th, 2012 at 20:03:54.

I wasn't even on the team until Q3 2011, and Fia wasn't game director until I joined. I'm not sure what sort of response you are looking for, but I've said multiple times that yes we are all aware that mistakes were made in the past. All we can do now is move forward. Personally, I don't find that bringing up things that were said two or three years ago is that constructive. Because as I said, everyone knows the engine has taken way too long.
    That sounded a bit harsh. Smiley face at the end of the post doesn't automatically fix that.

Anyway, I was simply replying to a question sromp asked. However, let's reply to what you wrote. Based on your words, we should forget what we read two-three years ago. What about things we read last year? 6 months ago? Last month? Few days ago? Can you please tell us where (when) is the border between information that we should forget and information that is (currently) true?

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, I will pay and play it - with or without the new engine - as soon as my finances allow me to do so. However the pattern is there: Funcom* promises (or announces) something, Funcom shuffles the team, Funcom blames the former team for delay. What will happen if the new engine public beta isn't ready for Q1 2013? (I'm not saying it won't happen, but let's assume it doesn't.) We'll wait a few more months, then we will ask questions, and then we will be told not to bring up what someone said a year ago.

The solution is simple: If you do now know when you will get the project done, don't guess. If you are still willing to guess, take your guess and add at least 6 months to it when you release it to the public.

*Funcom as in: employee, game director, or any other individual speaking in the name of the company

P.S. I love the way you used the phrase "mistakes were made" in a sentence.
    Last edited by BytEfLUSh2; Sep 5th, 2012 at 02:10:15. Reason: Added a smiley face

Quote Originally Posted by BytEfLUSh2 View Post
    Based on your words, we should forget what we read two-three years ago. What about things we read last year? 6 months ago? Last month? Few days ago? Can you please tell us where (when) is the border between information that we should forget and information that is (currently) true?

However the pattern is there: Funcom* promises (or announces) something, Funcom shuffles the team, Funcom blames the former team for delay. What will happen if the new engine public beta isn't ready for Q1 2013? (I'm not saying it won't happen, but let's assume it doesn't.) We'll wait a few more months, then we will ask questions, and then we will be told not to bring up what someone said a year ago.

The solution is simple: If you do now know when you will get the project done, don't guess. If you are still willing to guess, take your guess and add at least 6 months to it when you release it to the public.
    Agree completely with this.. except the add 6 months part because that still wouldn't have gotten FUncom even remotely close to an accurate date on anything promised. But I do also wonder about things like the New Player Experience supposedly being put on Test Server in July... never showing up.. and now getting reshuffled with the possibility that it won't even be done this year. The changes in staffing due to the TSW stuff happened way way way after the NPE was supposed to be on Test Server (July) so what happened there? Why no announcement to us to correct what we were told? That's the type of thing that I find to be a big slap in the face to the playerbase. If I communicate that I'll have something done to a customer and I find that I can't meet that expectation (rarely happens.. but it does) then I communicate back with them to let them know. With this NPE thing, there was an announcement in the June update and then never a word said again.... until we start asking questions and even then.. I've asked several times and it wasn't until the producer's response today that anyone even bother to address it.. and still I got a "we'll get back to you" answer that doesn't really explain what happened.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Sep 5th, 2012 at 04:20:57.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTrion View Post
    So, let me get this straight here: I had to come to the forums to suddenly expect something different ? This is hogwash. On and off, I've been playing this game for years. I've been reading this forum for years. Just because I didn't come to it before now doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Yes, the game is playable, I didn't say that it wasn't.

You said yourself that the game has basically been in the same state of affairs since it launched back in 1066, or whenever it was. This is the problem. 11 years of we're gonna do this, we're gonna do that.

Anyway, I bid you all fair well until things have changed for the better. I know of five others that have as well, and for basically the same reasons.
    Seriously the engine is coming though:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=601149

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I don't care that you leave the game or if the game is shut down without warning like CoH, I care about people and their motivations, and gathering experience on such matters is interesting as it helps one understand the reasoning, or lack thereof, behind decisions and gives you the ability to predict and understand certain events.
    Oh don't say that Mastablasta. You jinx us.

Oh a not so related but (I thought funny note):

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar @ TSW Forums
    So...you'll be playing and subscribing to TSW for TWENTY YEARS? If you do, we'll love you forever and ever and ever.

(I kid, I kid: TSW will be running for at least thirty years. Your characters will be passed on from father to son. Or mother to son. Or father to daughter, mother to daughter. Any and all combinations. They'll be considered family heirlooms.)

Ragnar
    Last edited by Dreamsofnano; Sep 5th, 2012 at 13:18:54.

I wasn't even on the team until Q3 2011, and Fia wasn't game director until I joined. I'm not sure what sort of response you are looking for, but I've said multiple times that yes we are all aware that mistakes were made in the past. All we can do now is move forward. Personally, I don't find that bringing up things that were said two or three years ago is that constructive. Because as I said, everyone knows the engine has taken way too long.
    This is a response to an idle "lol-remember-when" post. I knew the answer, and it wasn't intended personally.
    You missed the post where I asked an on-topic question. Fix pls.
    Last edited by Sromp; Sep 6th, 2012 at 03:49:21. Reason: Not feeding the troll
    You gained 96 PVP Solo Score.
    Angelyna: (03:55) Srompu forces your NCU to run Feet of Stone...
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he's a 220 crat and srompu is probably wearing tl5 symbs
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he deserved to die

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    You don't see people wandering around screaming "THIS BOOK IN THE FIRST PERSON WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER IF THE MAIN CHARACTER WAS A QUASIGENDER HAMSTER ON FIRE".

Everyone needs to take this personal flamefest ELSEWHERE, as in not in public on this forum at all. Crab at each other in private messages if you must, but that is enough.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

crabs!

yikes!

don't let it bite your toes!

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Everyone needs to take this personal flamefest ELSEWHERE, as in not in public on this forum at all. Crab at each other in private messages if you must, but that is enough.
    Help! I am being oppressed!

I'd like to ask the Ilaliya about a paid service which is currently disabled.

Account Merging. This is required for players to use another (currently available) paid service which is Character Transfer.

Today an orgmate who wanted to move a character between 2 account, we had to explain that he could not, even though the actual paid service is listed on his FC account.

Is it a priority to get the account merge paid service available again?

If not, I suggest disabling the Character Transfer option to avoid confusion or misunderstandings with players.

Thank you for reading.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    If not, I suggest disabling the Character Transfer option to avoid confusion or misunderstandings with players.

Thank you for reading.
    Aren't people with existing merged accounts still able to use Character Transfer? I could've sworn that I've had friends recently (within the last couple months) that transferred toons from one account to another. If Char Transfer is working for people with already existing accounts, maybe they just need to put some clarifying information under the Character Transfer service that states you need to have a merged account and that new account merges are currently unavailable (rather than disabling the option for those that can indeed still use it).
    Last edited by Traderjill; Sep 7th, 2012 at 15:43:14.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    I'd like to ask the Ilaliya about a paid service which is currently disabled.

Account Merging. This is required for players to use another (currently available) paid service which is Character Transfer.

Today an orgmate who wanted to move a character between 2 account, we had to explain that he could not, even though the actual paid service is listed on his FC account.

Is it a priority to get the account merge paid service available again?

Thank you for reading.
    Your prairs have been answered
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=601452
    Former President of Unlimited High Society - We're recruiting 220/30/66 Eternalist Mardonge - Equip 220/25/70 Savior Bioth - Equip 220/22/64 Dictator Cratzi - Equip 220/22/58 Mogul Stressed 199/22/45 Don Riksmongo - Equip 194/19/52 Spetsnaz 176/18/42 Master 5th Dan Maofex - Equip 100/10/28 Biomare - Equip Foremans Twink ************************************************** Be vewy vewy quiet, Im hunting whinomen

Aren't people with existing merged accounts still able to use Character Transfer? I could've sworn that I've had friends recently (within the last couple months) that transferred toons from one account to another. If Char Transfer is working for people with already existing accounts, maybe they just need to put some clarifying information under the Character Transfer service that states you need to have a merged account and that new account merges are currently unavailable (rather than disabling the option for those that can indeed still use it).
    You are 100% correct, my suggestion was flawed. Thanks =D
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Can you merge a froob account in with a paid account without the froob account then being forced to become paid?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast