Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: August 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Sure you would. You PvP. The majority of the games' population doesn't.
    Generally agree to this, but (based on seeing the same toon names over and over at pvp activities --- maybe 30 players with various level alts as they identify themselves) I do know improving pvp is important for these players. But that, as I am sure was known, was not the point of the original comment. There are quite a number of issues that have been started by fc over time, and few of these have ever reached any closure, let alone a satisfactory completion. The point is I would like to see more of the monthly content addressing what is being done to close some of these issues rather than vague mouth noises about more "plans." In other words lets get some closure on items/issues that have been languishing for months/years.

Personally, I rather look with trepedation at even more changes to make pvp more assessible and enjoyable, not because I have anthing against pvp, but every time fc makes such changes it manages to damage the other aspects of the game. If they want to go there, then just be honest and say they are changing to a Halo or other total pvp game and be done with it. As long as it pretends to be a game with significant pvm and pvp, then they need to be honest to both.

"... The NT nukes line is the best example I can think of, where you have literally more than 100 nukes to chose from. Instead we can scale the power of the ones we keep based on your skill, giving you the same functionality as you have now but with way less nanos you need to buy and keep track of! "

So a trader drain on an NT won't keep them from using a nuke or blind, just lower its' effectiveness a bit?
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    "... The NT nukes line is the best example I can think of, where you have literally more than 100 nukes to chose from. Instead we can scale the power of the ones we keep based on your skill, giving you the same functionality as you have now but with way less nanos you need to buy and keep track of! "

So a trader drain on an NT won't keep them from using a nuke or blind, just lower its' effectiveness a bit?
    I think it would be safe to assume that nano programs would still have minimum requirements, as anything else would seem awkward and in direct opposition to everything that is twinking. (IMO)
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

We really need to see more on what is planned with the nanos. Overall, I can thing of several professions that would benefit from this: NTs, Doc, Agents, Engineers (think shields here), possibly crats, and possibly some other like fixers, keepers, and soldiers. To me the real question is how it will scale (only up or up and down) depending on the skills one has (nano sets a minimum that can only go up with more skills or one that can go either way as you are drained, debuffed, etc. Potentiall a nice idea, especially if they decide to let it scale both directions. Would make it easier to cast if you are drained rather than search your nanos for the level you can cast now.

So not enough information to see what they have in mind. Could be a really good and interesting change though.

I would hope if your skills have changed due to a debuff or to a refresh of CI/CM ... that the nano cast would be consistent with the adjusted skills. If the skills are too low for the whole nano-line then I would guess that you couldn't cast it at all.

However, that being said we don't actually know how this proposed change would actually work ... ie what it would "check".

I still think this could be a good idea.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Sure you would. You PvP. The majority of the games' population doesn't.
    This in no way makes what I said invalid on any scale. But I enjoyed the story in Lindelu's post.

But, then, I forgot that this forum is no longer for people to express and exchange opinions, but to demand dev response to everything and disregard anything everyone else says. I'm sorry for posting.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Sep 5th, 2012 at 22:54:30.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Funcom employee

This is not particularly different from just casting a lower nuke.
    The plan of scaling with skill is largely to reduce the large chain of nanos which are identical copies of each other but with raised requirements and modifiers.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Well, if the nuke is one they got at lvl 10 and has grown with them then it will still work with some output until they are NSDed.

Edit, just saw VHAB's post.

In any case, it will make for some interesting changes in PvP with lines of nanos that scale with skill.

Last edited by Dagget; Sep 5th, 2012 at 23:10:09.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Well, now I know why PvP will never be fixed/improved...our game director doesn't even understand how it works.

Is it too far-fetched to hire people that actually play or at least monitor all areas of the game? Am I crazy for thinking this is possible? That was a very nice TL;DR about your duel with a friend (assuming you both were 220 advs on test live). Really, thank you for trying to connect to the PvP community.

How do you feel about traders being able to completely disable you with two-buttons pre-Lvl170~?

How do you feel about NT triples?

How do you feel about a Lv207 swooping in and taking your TL5's virginity?

This list could go on for a while...but I'm glad that your PvP experiences have been just a peachy walk in the park on a fine sunny day...on whatever server you play on.
    Last edited by Mako; Sep 5th, 2012 at 23:41:20.
    Based God.

Sounds cool guys!

keep up the good work!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    How do you feel about traders being able to completely disable you with two-buttons pre-Lvl170~?
    This is a little stupid, is how I feel, and we are looking into removing some of the nano formulas and making them scale on the skill instead, which would mean that when you're deprived of your skills you will still be able to use some of your tools - but they will not be as efficient. A trader should indeed be able to steal a good portion of your skills, but not disable you like that, and once we have that out of the way maybe Traders can again get some new love.

How do you feel about NT triples?
    Not particularly fun in mmo pvp, and from what I hear not really fun for the caster either, which is too bad because I think that the rest of the profession is great! These are one of those things that have been driving the suggested profession nano changes, and I can only regret that we shared this information with you so early in the design phase as we did, as it's been quite the project, we finally have the documentation and the tools that are needed, and I understand if you're sick of hearing about it by now (:

How do you feel about a Lv207 swooping in and taking your TL5's virginity?
    What is missing in my opinion is some gear and nano improvements for late TL5's. At 150 you can already twink on most of the stuff that is not level locked, resulting in awesome twinks that only gets worse as you level since the shadowlevel folks get so much more powerful more quickly resulting in what you're talking about. I would want to solve this by adding new content at this level, there is no dungeon at this level for example, and maybe even removing some level locks to even the odds. The other option is to decrease the pvp level ranges, and it's probably a good idea to look at that formula, but I'm worried it will be equally frustrating to not being able to engage in combat like you used to. There will always be someone bigger and meaner, and it's a really fine line between freedom and chaos.

I enjoy both pvm and pvp, I'm not a great pvper, but fortunately we have one of those on the team so we're covered. (:
    Last edited by lindelu; Sep 6th, 2012 at 01:02:25.
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Lindelu,

I am very pleasantly shocked to get a response like that. I apologize for the tone of my first post, as I assumed nobody on the team really cared about the PvP community because these issues have been unchanged for so very long.

Would it be possible for you to host meetings with the different tiers (TL 1-7) of PvP communities like you did with the PvMers? There are some really great ideas for changes and additional content produced by players that feel like they don't really have a voice (the PvM cry is far louder than PvP).
    Based God.

I think the corporate management Funcom FIDIOTS need to get their act together and stop laying off people that actually do something. SMH

Sorry for the hate but it burns me up reading how Secret World has to impact AO like this.
    Guapo - Advisor in Unity of The Rose

Cross-post from the pre-update thread:

Since you are possibly leaving the profession rebalancing until the end, will there be tweaks to existing balance problems? MR, Enfo 1he/1hb, and MPs come to mind instantly, drawing other shadowy thoughts with them.

How extensive (if they happen) will these early balance tweaks be? Can you mention any example of anything the team agrees needs changing?

When, honestly, (if they happen) would these tweaks happen?"
    You gained 96 PVP Solo Score.
    Angelyna: (03:55) Srompu forces your NCU to run Feet of Stone...
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he's a 220 crat and srompu is probably wearing tl5 symbs
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he deserved to die

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    You don't see people wandering around screaming "THIS BOOK IN THE FIRST PERSON WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER IF THE MAIN CHARACTER WAS A QUASIGENDER HAMSTER ON FIRE".

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    What is missing in my opinion is some gear and nano improvements for late TL5's. At 150 you can already twink on most of the stuff that is not level locked, resulting in awesome twinks that only gets worse as you level since the shadowlevel folks get so much more powerful more quickly resulting in what you're talking about. I would want to solve this by adding new content at this level, there is no dungeon at this level for example, and maybe even removing some level locks to even the odds. The other option is to decrease the pvp level ranges, and it's probably a good idea to look at that formula, but I'm worried it will be equally frustrating to not being able to engage in combat like you used to. There will always be someone bigger and meaner, and it's a really fine line between freedom and chaos.
    TL 5 - most of it, is actually pretty sweet.

It's ALMOST balanced. Like, I'd say TL5 is probably better balanced than TL7 overall.

The gear, nanos, and stuff really aren't bad in general. But, the level ranges are fooked.

I'd look at some of the discussion threads on this. theres been some very well defended arguments on how to adjust level ranges...

Love your post.

Are you married or does a guy have a chance?
    Why play melee when crat pets can do your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldebeast View Post
    Simple, why the melee hate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Melee people/pets are needed...

This is a little stupid,

Yes pls ..remove lvl lock for inf belt double abi buff from inf tours iirc and/or s7 belt...we are behind on that departament + db bracer !! We want more love
    Last edited by Anarrina; Sep 7th, 2012 at 06:38:00.
    Shade lover (trox all the way :P)

and maybe even removing some level locks to even the odds.
    This is the best idea I've read from a dev in ages. Nothing is more annoying when twinking than seeing that one could theoretically equip a much more awesome weapon, if it just weren't levellocked to 40 levels above you >.> (bloody xan weapons -.-)
    Shhhsss. Careful. Behind all the colours, there are ears, ears who listen.

This is really what we need. More overpowered twinks to farm noobs on the BSs and/or capable of soloing every single playfield in this game. Preferably at level 1.

PS- Dont forget to make the start up area 0% gas and allow people to go back there after they twinked on ql 300 armor and weapons on level 1 toons. Nothing motivates new players to play more the game then being spawncamped endlessly even before starting to play it.

Trust me, Im a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpynoob View Post
    This is really what we need. More overpowered twinks to farm noobs on the BSs and/or capable of soloing every single playfield in this game. Preferably at level 1.

PS- Dont forget to make the start up area 0% gas and allow people to go back there after they twinked on ql 300 armor and weapons on level 1 toons. Nothing motivates new players to play more the game then being spawncamped endlessly even before starting to play it.

Trust me, Im a doctor.
    you're so cute when you're typing your crack-fueled delusions.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast