Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garden Key Quests

Garden Key Quests

What was the point of nerfing the XP gain on those?

It was bad that people could grind SK solo without just logging on for dailies or spending an eternity doing Inf missions until their eyes bleed?

I just can't wrap my head around the reasoning behind that nerf.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Probably that noone did them at the intended level, meaning people go through the game having a different, poorer experience than intended, and the whole thing about giving 10% of a lvl 220's lvl for finishing a nascence quest seems a bit silly when doing the inferno key quest is a million times harder so having the same reward level decreases the attraction of the highend quests.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Probably that noone did them at the intended level, meaning people go through the game having a different, poorer experience than intended, and the whole thing about giving 10% of a lvl 220's lvl for finishing a nascence quest seems a bit silly when doing the inferno key quest is a million times harder so having the same reward level decreases the attraction of the highend quests.
    so now instead of no one doing them at intended level no one does them ever. i dont see how that's any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    so now instead of no one doing them at intended level no one does them ever. i dont see how that's any better.
    That is once again people's own choice. If they want to ruin the game for themselves, then there's nothing the devs can do to stop them. But then, who am I to guess at this. It's after all a thread that needs a response from the devs. Sorry for my reply, please disregard its content.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

That is once again people's own choice. If they want to ruin the game for themselves, then there's nothing the devs can do to stop them. But then, who am I to guess at this. It's after all a thread that needs a response from the devs. Sorry for my reply, please disregard its content.
    confirmed: players would rather devs waste time answering forum posts than work on new engine.

Probably because leveling in the 215-220 range is absolutely miserable and by far one of the worst parts of the game in my opinion.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by sultryvoltron View Post
    Probably because leveling in the 215-220 range is absolutely miserable and by far one of the worst parts of the game in my opinion.
    Agreed. I have a Shade stuck at 217 and a Soldier stuck at 218 because leveling them feels like I'm waging a war of attrition against a barely creeping XP bar. There is not one alternative, other than dailies, to Inferno missions.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Heh, it's a walk in the park, and it's not like that quest change impacted that in any meaningful way, it's just kneejerk OMFG YOU RUINED IT ALL when in fact if you just ground out missions in the time it took you to finish those quests you'd get the same XP. Back in the day people used to stop at lvl 215 because lvling above was considered only for the elite hardcore no lifers. We used to grind 10 hours a day and see maybe 20% increase in xp to next lvl...
    The Red Brotherhood

Nah leveling with dailys is piece of cake. The research is the ...... ...... ...... part...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

doing those xan-quests without a key is too much for me and leaving them to 215+ levels is plain stupid.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Its so cool how ppl forget that there was almost no xp/sk reward from those Key quests. Its also fun to see ppl complaining bout inf mishs today. In the long past there was no missions at all. And in the not long past SL missions had no reward and nobody cared if the puller was 219 or 215 :3
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Heh, it's a walk in the park, and it's not like that quest change impacted that in any meaningful way, it's just kneejerk OMFG YOU RUINED IT ALL when in fact if you just ground out missions in the time it took you to finish those quests you'd get the same XP. Back in the day people used to stop at lvl 215 because lvling above was considered only for the elite hardcore no lifers. We used to grind 10 hours a day and see maybe 20% increase in xp to next lvl...
    But having an alternative to said Inf missions is bad?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

But having an alternative to said Inf missions is bad?
    Not at all. I just don't think it should be quests in lvl 15 areas, and as such I don't think that the lowbie quests should be that source or that their fix should be lamented. Instead, I think we should have suggestions for what could be changed at that range, other than the oft stated "remove 5% caps on lvl 10 research", which should be removed.
    The Red Brotherhood

....people go through the game having a different, poorer experience than intended
    That is just soo subjective.

For me the poorer experience is grinding 210-220.

Yes, you may think its thrilling doing more inferno missions than you have had meals, but many people would rather take just about any alternative however "appropriate" you may think it is.

I would have no major problem with them "fixing" this if they had put in an alternative first, but as it is its just a major turn off - especially when the chance of even doing missions is vastly diminished. There was 1 omni on lft tonight - an all time low.

Things have moved on from the time most people were happy to do 12 hours of mind numbing repetition.

At this point in time the change was stupid.
    stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Loucretia View Post
    That is just soo subjective.

For me the poorer experience is grinding 210-220.

Yes, you may think its thrilling doing more inferno missions than you have had meals, but many people would rather take just about any alternative however "appropriate" you may think it is.

I would have no major problem with them "fixing" this if they had put in an alternative first, but as it is its just a major turn off - especially when the chance of even doing missions is vastly diminished. There was 1 omni on lft tonight - an all time low.

Things have moved on from the time most people were happy to do 12 hours of mind numbing repetition.

At this point in time the change was stupid.
    OK. So not having garden keys throughout the leveling experience is considered less of a nuisance than being able to skip... what, 1, 2 levels at that range by doing a couple of simple quests? Bear with me here, I am not an alt lvling person, I haven't bothered lvling an alt to that high a range, because of the gear grind, but how much is it? How much XP was actually contained in the garden quests for a 210+ character?

I don't think it's thrilling to do inferno missions. Inferno missions are far too easy for the people doing it now a days with lowbies tagging a long. Back in the day we used to fear hecklers in Inferno, pulling two could mean certain death for a team if the team wasn't exceptional and there wasn't a calmer around... it wasn't a walk in the park, every teaming moment till you hit past 210 in average on the team was tense. I'd like something equally challenging today, though the reward could be scaled up 1000% pr time compared to what we had back then. Man that was the most brutal grind ever... I hope you never experience it.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Sep 6th, 2012 at 23:31:57.
    The Red Brotherhood

OK. So not having garden keys throughout the leveling experience is considered less of a nuisance than being able to skip... what, 1, 2 levels at that range by doing a couple of simple quests? Bear with me here, I am not an alt lvling person, I haven't bothered lvling an alt to that high a range, because of the gear grind, but how much is it? How much XP was actually contained in the garden quests for a 210+ character?
    It was significant enough that if you saved up all the non-level-capped quests you could go from 216 (possibly 217 or 218, can't remember the exact level) to 220 or close.

It wasn't a whole lot but it helped relieve the boredom. But now we're back to just flat-out grinding to 220, especially since dailies at 215+ are just pathetic.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I don't think it's thrilling to do inferno missions. Inferno missions are far too easy for the people doing it now a days with lowbies tagging a long. Back in the day we used to fear hecklers in Inferno, pulling two could mean certain death for a team if the team wasn't exceptional and there wasn't a calmer around... it wasn't a walk in the park, every teaming moment till you hit past 210 in average on the team was tense. I'd like something equally challenging today, though the reward could be scaled up 1000% pr time compared to what we had back then. Man that was the most brutal grind ever... I hope you never experience it.

It was always useful to have Pen key and Ado key, the rest could be skipped unless you did a lot of leveling in ely.

The sk was close to 2 levels if you did them at 215. Add to that the inf quests and you were almost there. That is a LOT of inferno missions avoided.

And yes i did experience the whole heckler thing. There were no inf missions when i started - there was no SL. And when SL came in I grinded out hecklers as much as I could stand for many hours at a time like many others.

With 5 accounts and 15-20 toons over 205 my experience is clearly different to yours.

There is a balance to be struck and its different for everyone. But as you say you havent bothered to level any alts that high, perhaps this is a pain in the **** you havent had to put up with as often as others.
    stuff

Well I just had a thought thanks to Loucretia, it's been said when the new engine arrives not everything will be there. Today they announced you'll be able to purchase garden keys inplace of doing the quests for them, as well as other removing the need to do other paid content to reap the rewards. So are these things being done, removing the XP/SK reward from garden quests as an example as a pre-emptive strike at moving people away from these paid content quests because they simply won't exsist soon?

Have fun with that!
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

I'm neutral, so 36 daily missions worth.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

The endgame grind should be alleviated by other means then giving disproportionate rewards to key quests. Specially making those rewards scale with the level of the players. The key quests should have a fixed reward. Because they are specific rewards that benefit the player at specific levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast