Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director - My last update

Funcom employee Letter from the Game Director - My last update

Accepting the job and moving to Montreal was one of the most difficult decisions that I’ve had to make yet. I received the phone call from Means back in November last year, from a tiny fishing village in central Japan, and the cell reception was really really bad. At first I thought I had misheard, but when I climbed one of the large cliffs by the seaside, the message got through. He was really leaving, and I was asked to take his place. The rest of my vacation I was in deep thoughts. On the one hand, I was very happy working remotely from Sweden, living with my man and close to my family. On the other hand, I love the AO team and the game itself, and I wanted to help filling Means shoes when he was gone. So when getting back home to Stockholm once my vacation was over, we agreed that I would come over to Montreal for one year. And I have never regretted this decision, even though it has been very hard at times.

My work here this year has been greatly focused on one thing, to build for a strong future of AO. I see a very big potential in this game and I know you do too. When I look back at these ten months, I believe that even though we are not there yet, the hardest stretch has been overcome, thanks to my wonderful team.

They have created a new player market (GMI), a system that is easily maintained, accessible by all subscribers, and which much improved the performance of our game. They have improved our development tools to ensure that devs can create completely new and exciting content for many years to come, something that have been neglected due to our small team size pretty much since launch. They have soon finished creating a new player experience that will unite froobs and subscribers, and touch on all the elements that makes AO unique and fun, customized for all the different professions, making sure that new and returning players love AO as much as we do. They have fixed so many bugs and annoyances, and improved many features based on your requests. They have begun creating a Dreamworld engine beta client, that will be available for free side by side to the older client. The new client will greatly modernize our graphics and visual style, without removing the charm and unique atmosphere that AO currently offers, and we’re finally beginning to see the light in the end of the tunnel on this greatly experimental project. I am very proud of this team, and I know that our united direction to make AO stronger will be tended to with uttermost passion and care.

Now the time has come for me to leave my position as Game Director, an announcement that saddens me deeply as I love my job, but with the recent cuts in Funcom it makes sense for the project that I say goodbye sooner rather than later to ensure that we can keep someone else on the team. Even though this saddens me, I feel very good about going home to my man and my family again, as one of my closest ones have taken ill recently.

I love AO, and I still like playing it after working on it for half a decade which says quite a lot. AO is a game for creative people and for those who enjoy a real challenge, but it’s also for those who like to meet new people and play with friends, because we have the best game community I’ve ever seen, and I know that the team will work very hard to ensure AO’s very bright future. We’ve been running for over 11 years, nothing can stop us now (:

Love,
    Fia

Tarib edit: German Translation
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Omg
    Last edited by shishu; Sep 18th, 2012 at 19:43:07.
    Shade lover (trox all the way :P)

Funcom employee

I've said most of what I wanted to say before now, but maybe some day you'll be able to look back on this thread and have a few old memories sparked. Best of luck to you, Fia, where ever you go and what ever you do. The last few years have been a pleasure, and if I have my way it won't be the last time we collaborate. Catch you on the flip side. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

I can be the next GD!

NOT!
    Ciassene

Extremely upsetting.
    "Remember me? The one you got your technique from?"
    The worst possible response you could give when asked for proof of your statements.

Sh1t. You shall be missed, such a shame TSW has impacted upon AO so heavily..... Two in a week - the future isn't looking bright.....
    Bainzyy - Level 220/30 Shade
    PvP-ing - RP-ing - PvMing

Long give to Game Director... Uhm who is that?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

There are no words. The best to you in your future.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    I need to shut my mouth now or I will be quoted on the internet talking about b00bs, again.

Linde (:

Damn....Kintaii AND Lindelu?

Is this a hint I should switch to monthly payment instead of yearly?

So...who's going to be the next GD?

*hugs* Linde... You'll be missed just as Kintaii will, but home is where the heart lies... so good luck, and hopefully we'll see you about
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

This obviously means the new engine will be available in 2019.
    Best of luck, Fia!
    Who's the new GD?
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

Sorry to hear this news. Best of luck to both you and kintaii.

This saddens me ((

good luck Linde!
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

Unhappy

Well, this will be basically the same message as for Kintaii as I don't feel really different in your "case":

You'll be greatly missed!

I thank you for all you've done, that you took the challenge moving to Canada and away from your family! Seeing it that way there is also a good side on this as you and they can be closer together again.

Wishing you all the best!

PS: Can I has ur hat for my wife?
    Last edited by Misat0; Sep 18th, 2012 at 20:07:29.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Best of luck Fia, and thanks for all you put into the AO community!
    The Deacon of Doom
    www.gridstream.org

Lindelu,

It was a real pleasure to get to know you and get to learn your goals with the AO team, it's a real shocker to see this happen, but your decision is understandable, best of luck in your future projects.
    Ipewpewu Director of Omni Org Pack of Noobs.

Sad to see you go too Lindelu.
    Had to dig trough my mail to actually find my old login and forum account just to post this
    Thank you for the time you have put in this great game over the years.

Who knows we might meet again someday so fare you well *hugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakufu
    I'm a fixer and if I stop running for more than 5 seconds my heart stops beating and I die. Every now and then I team with someone so slow It's criminal. I am talking about apocalyptic kitten murdering slowness.
    Kaliach, Advisor of Unity of the Rose

Well, this doesn't look too positive in terms of AO's future.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

*Hugs* Fia! Thank you for all you've done! Im so saddened by this. We will miss you!

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast