Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director - My last update

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I'm pretty sure that most of the things implemented during Lindelu's time have been planned and worked on for quite a long time. But then it's always been the case that people are awarded for other people's work
    On other hand stuff planned now and worked one might be implemented under someone else. So it just moves on and on. The first guys miss the most of praise...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I wrote several walls of text to say how angry I am with te way FC treats AO because it got too hostile... so here is my final attempt

I am regularly checking the game and the forums to see and hope I find something that brings new life to AO and it's awesome community. Every single time I see the game getting worse and then I read that two talented people leave the game and no other GD has been appointed. Add up the rebalance and the engine I've been waiting many years for now. You state that AO is still 'cash positive' or how you like to call it. This actually means there are still some people left that believe in the game... and you are letting them down.

Stop feeding us crumbles and start showing cookies.. all those 'updates' in the community corner saying 'Oohhh! We are getting so close now'. There is a max people can take when it comes to this. You have made several attempts to redo the engine from scratch. WE ARE PAYING FOR THAT TIME SPEND. You guys are making instances and challenges that nobody visits. When I do want to visit it's impossible to team up with others that want it. Not to mention all those things you coded nobody visits anymore. Or all the changes you made that were just bandages instead of REALLY fixing it.

Yes, I am looking at it from a dark perspective and yes, AO still has awesomeness. But it hurts to see the game go down like this, it deserves much better.
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Make more clans before you guys leave.

too much egg, not enough seafood.

Don't you mean more omni's - or you won't have PVP or BS soon!!!! because u will only have Clan PVP's left!!

Also I agree with the whole 'get your ass into gear FC' - Bit!

Stop trying to work out new things to make you money and concentrate on thing that already do!! IE. AO

Last edited by Datch; Sep 26th, 2012 at 12:50:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Harios View Post
    I wrote several walls of text to say how angry I am with te way FC treats AO because it got too hostile... so here is my final attempt

I am regularly checking the game and the forums to see and hope I find something that brings new life to AO and it's awesome community. Every single time I see the game getting worse and then I read that two talented people leave the game and no other GD has been appointed. Add up the rebalance and the engine I've been waiting many years for now. You state that AO is still 'cash positive' or how you like to call it. This actually means there are still some people left that believe in the game... and you are letting them down.

Stop feeding us crumbles and start showing cookies.. all those 'updates' in the community corner saying 'Oohhh! We are getting so close now'. There is a max people can take when it comes to this. You have made several attempts to redo the engine from scratch. WE ARE PAYING FOR THAT TIME SPEND. You guys are making instances and challenges that nobody visits. When I do want to visit it's impossible to team up with others that want it. Not to mention all those things you coded nobody visits anymore. Or all the changes you made that were just bandages instead of REALLY fixing it.

Yes, I am looking at it from a dark perspective and yes, AO still has awesomeness. But it hurts to see the game go down like this, it deserves much better.

This sums up my feelings. Thanks Harios.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Quote Originally Posted by shareida View Post
    this sums up my feelings. Thanks harios.
    /+1
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Shareida View Post
    This sums up my feelings. Thanks Harios.
    bump +1

CEO Ole Schreiner - "it's becoming more and more difficult for subscription games to live up to player's expectations. If you're demanding a monthly fee from someone they obviously expect more value than they get from a similar free-to-play offering." AO has one of the biggest subscribtion and what do we get in return for paying it? Delays and dissapointments.
    Last edited by Ravenneyez; Sep 27th, 2012 at 06:30:45.

Well written, I can sign that immediately.
    Philty - main, engie, proud member of allmighty CzA
    Philtynurse - backup heal
    Philtysaurus - rising from the ashes

I support this message.

<snip>
    Still waiting for a reason to come back...

CEO Ole Schreine I want you to reply

I want CEO Ole Schreine to reply back to this community. Anyone have his email so we can take this to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenneyez View Post
    CEO Ole Schreiner - "it's becoming more and more difficult for subscription games to live up to player's expectations. If you're demanding a monthly fee from someone they obviously expect more value than they get from a similar free-to-play offering." AO has one of the biggest subscribtion and what do we get in return for paying it? Delays and dissapointments.

+1

I've started on similar posts myself but I ended up not posting any of them because there's just no way I can talk about the game and it's current state without using language that would result in an infraction and a deleted post. I'll try to give it another go. I know that my words will change nothing but at least I will feel some satisfaction for having spoken my mind.

FC is aware of the current state of the game and our general dissatisfaction with the way things are going. At this point, I no longer believe that they have any plan for revitalizing AO, they're just stringing people along in an attempt to milk the very last euro they possibly can from the game before it collapses and dies. Their recent promotion, where they are asking people to commit to a year's subscription in exchange for useless item shop crap, convinced me of this. Who the hell buys a year's subscription to a game so lifeless that it cannot be played in anything remotely resembling a normal fashion anymore? Furthermore, what game company would offer a deal like this that includes no real incentives to continue playing in spite of the game's current problems?

No company that makes it's money from subscription services allows it's client base to dwindle away to nothing before taking action, unless they plan to discontinue the service. None of the projects in the works for AO (that we know about anyway) address the key issues that have led to the population decline. Everything that might affect the size of the player base, does so only as a fortunate side-effect. Every suggestion that might help reverse the trend is either ignored or deleted. This has gone on for far too long to be a simple case of being understaffed or whatever. Now the company itself is in trouble. AO has lost two GD's in a year and at least one major content person, and there is no plan to replace them. They continue to state that things are progressing as planned. Why do I have such a hard time believing that?

I tend to agree, we are continusly strung along, month after month, year after year, with promises of a greener land just over the hill.

but unless Fc do something, I have a feeling it will only get worse, I hope that i'm wrong and we see the server merge, new engine, reballance and it brings the hoards running back.

the engine is killing ao, all the time spent on that should been spent in balance, new playfields and maybe a profession or two. ofc players who has been here for 5-6 years or more quits when nothing ever gets changed.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon View Post
    I hope that i'm wrong and we see the server merge, new engine, reballance and it brings the hoards running back.
    I really hope so aswell..!
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

The problem that AO will have at this point, for me, is that now that I'm not playing it I've seen the light. Almost every game I've played since I stopped playing AO has been more entertaining/enjoyable than AO because the very high bar that AO used to set got lowered so much over the years. Nothing used to be able to even remotely capture me like AO but by the time I stopped playing the population was so low, game content played out/no true expansion since SL and graphics/animations so crappy that the bar that was so high that it couldn't be reached by any other game is now low enough for every other game to walk over. That includes everything from Trine 2 (my AO friends make fun of me but it's awesome in single-player or co-op) to even grindy World of Warcraft.

Don't get me wrong, I've played tons of games over the years and kept coming back to AO but once the "damn, I'm really fed up and not going to play anymore" mindset set in and I legitimately started to give other options a true opportunity... I dunno... the graphics engine, new player experience and even rebalancing won't be enough to get me back. And I dare say, that this is the case for other people I know that are no longer playing the game (between 15-20 people that I can think of off hand and still talk to).

To be honest, AO has really made me change my attitude towards games. I'm not even looking for an AO replacement. I don't want to invest multiple years of time in one game ever again because I see what happens when I do. Honestly, being so dedicated to one game really made me very passionate about it and also left me open to a world of disappointment. I'm actually going to be fine with buying/playing a game that gives me 3 or so months of entertainment value and then moving on to something else until the game comes out with an expansion or I feel like playing it again and subbing up for another month or two.

Anyway, I guess I agree wholeheartedly with Harios. The waiting has gotten old.. really old.. people have moved on and that's the risk you run when you take multiple years to make good on promises. Many have even stopped checking forums for updates (I haven't gotten to that point yet) as they simply don't believe that anything will happen.. or that if it does that it'll be enough to pull them away from whatever else they're playing.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Sep 27th, 2012 at 23:58:40.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I know that his is not the popular stance of many in the Ao community, but I believe it needs to be wholly free to play with store items as the driving force. This game is built for a large amount of people, the more you have inside the more exciting the game is. Sticking to the same subscription model without any particular enhanced bonus from a while ago. I am not trying to discourage people, I want the game to succeed, but we cannot make it succeed with the small community drip feed. This game is on life support. I checked frequently for upgrades, and I see not much, after paying a year of sub, it doesn't make sense to keep investing if things aren't changing for the better. Something has to give. There is no guarantees that I am hearing. I am not all doom and gloom about people leaving. It is discouraging though.

As an added note, I don't think it would be a bad idea to help solo players get to higher levels quicker, the truth is once new players notice the game isn't just about being the highest level but the multi dimensions to farming spots, towers, and bs pvp offers years of fun, let alone, I am sure some of us would like to experience the majority of classes this game has to offer. I loved managing the going for my first character, but most people don't have that kind of tine, I would like to master at least 4 more classes, but right now, that means dedication in the years. Save the grind as it stands for AI. You can't even really realize the potential of your class without expensive think gear or around late tl5.

The grind is awesome, getting to know friends and work together constantly. But in the same sense you can play the game a decade and not have truly perfected builds some of us are equipped for the endurance, most however are not.
    Last edited by Vurtuoso; Sep 28th, 2012 at 01:51:36. Reason: Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    The problem that AO will have at this point, for me, is that now that I'm not playing it I've seen the light. Almost every game I've played since I stopped playing AO has been more entertaining/enjoyable than AO because the very high bar that AO used to set got lowered so much over the years. Nothing used to be able to even remotely capture me like AO but by the time I stopped playing the population was so low, game content played out/no true expansion since SL and graphics/animations so crappy that the bar that was so high that it couldn't be reached by any other game is now low enough for every other game to walk over. That includes everything from Trine 2 (my AO friends make fun of me but it's awesome in single-player or co-op) to even grindy World of Warcraft.
    Exactly.
    One of the big problems with AO is lack of players. How the hell do you fix this when the game simply does not measure up to even the barest of modern standards? I can't recommend it to any of my friends or family in good faith.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I recommended it to a dude. but I think he's going to take up photography insead.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast