Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director - My last update

Thank you Fia for your contribution to AO. I loved the changes that were made during your GD times. You were very easy to understand and always brought a smile upon your face. Sad to see ya go, adios!

Such a shame for AO, and a personal tragedy for me as I can no longer tell people "I helped the GD to 220!" Here's hoping AO can recover and remain active for years to come. Good luck, Fia

Goodbye and thanks for the time and effort. Välkommen hem till Sverige, vädret är uselt.
    Å Sibylla du är vännen i nöd
    ge mig dressing, ge mig senap, ge mig lök och lite salt
    men inget salt på mina strips och gärna ketchup över allt
    jag vill förlusta mig mellan dina bröd
    utan dig skulle jag vara begraven och död

Thanks for everything. Good luck to you in your future career.

Sad to see you and Kintaii go as well, it didn't turn out quite how it was supposed to! Thanks for the work you've put into AO and for the nice small "chats" we've had. Good luck with everything on the little planet called Earth, hope you will visit us on rubi-ka soon again. Have a nice trip!

Oh.. here's a video I uploaded some time ago, it's the anarchy online preview before it was released. With Tommy Strand and Martin Amor. "The future is in your hands" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dInzKl0s-qA
    Strombanni, 220/70/30 Doctor
    General of The Red Brotherhood | Our videos

If a man of learning does not understand brotherhood
    has not the learning been a waste?

Bye Lindelu, take care.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisax View Post
    I've seen some "questionable" decisions taken...but, with all due respect to anyone who will take over in the future and who will have my support, letting you go is probably the worst decision in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by pityjoo View Post
    this is a big mistake in a catalogue of fantasticaly epic mistakes that funcom seem to be pulling out of the hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    So when getting back home to Stockholm once my vacation was over, we agreed that I would come over to Montreal for one year. And I have never regretted this decision, even though it has been very hard at times.
    Clearly FC's dubious decision was not letting Lindelu go, but allowing her promotion to GD in the first place. If she knew that she would try on the GD hat for a year and see how it feels it'd've been better if she'd turned down the offer. With a game as over-ripe as AO its community (and dev team) needs stability, not this.

What's the emoticon for 'shaking your head at bungled decisions?'
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Wow, sad news all around recently. Let's hope for some better news soon.

Good Luck Lindelu!

I'll feel a twang every time I gnak you in Rome as i pass by
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Clearly FC's dubious decision was not letting Lindelu go, but allowing her promotion to GD in the first place. If she knew that she would try on the GD hat for a year and see how it feels it'd've been better if she'd turned down the offer. With a game as over-ripe as AO its community (and dev team) needs stability, not this.

What's the emoticon for 'shaking your head at bungled decisions?'
    Experimentation is what is needed. Since stability obviously hasn't done much.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

After the bad news with TSW, I wouldn't begrudge anyone leaving the AO team, as I can only imagine the corporate turmoil brewing in that company. I've worked for a few places that made great products with small pockets of talented people, only to have employment become unbearable by the greater corporate decisions.

AO is a great game that has the bad luck of being owned by Funcom. I still have a faint hope that AO will be allowed to live on its own as a smaller, but well-managed game that serves nice little group of dedicated subscribers. But new stuff like selling XP in the item shop just points at Funcom trying to squeeze and squeeze every penny from good ol' AO while they work on the next magic bullet.

It's not too late to pull out of this. AO just needs to think like a smaller game, merge the servers, lower the sub rate, and stop pouring money into pie-in-the-sky development projects. And most of all, stop squeezing AO subscribers for what we know is cash going straight into non-AO development.

Whoop! There goes another one.

Good luck, and remember: In RL, there is no reclaim
    Rubi-Ka is an ideal Planet for colonisation, but its Notum will make it dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. I fear for it. Unknown 28703AD

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    And most of all, stop squeezing AO subscribers for what we know is cash going straight into non-AO development.
    Can we not have this nonsense please? How would the game be profitable with a team of 13 people + QA if all the money the remaining subscribers spend on it went to somewhere else?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Yea, what is next? A leaving GD always handed the hat to someone else... now, it's just hanging on the coatrack
    Don't be too worried about this, it was my decision not to have a direct hand-off in the goodbye letter. What is a "Game Director"? There are really two completely separate jobs. One is the creative lead & stakeholder on the project... so it's basically a Lead Designer with personnel responsibilities. The second job is the community aspect, and being highly visible on the forums and posting a letter every month, and this kind of thing. The reason these roles are combined on AO to be perfectly honest is because it was a job tailored to the specific strengths of a former head of the project.

We still have creative leadership on Anarchy Online, features are still getting designed and implemented. Just today, we're fixing bugs in our Halloween content, working on animations for the new engine, improving the NPE based on internal feedback, getting some database work done for the server merge, etc. We have the same direction. Our priorities are still the engine, server merge, NPE, and systems changes.

We were planning for a much smoother hand-off, but we all knew this day was coming when Fia would return home. We just have to throw the goodbye party a few months earlier than expected. But whether or not the creative leadership ends up doing a lot of forum posting is kind of immaterial to the development of the game. If anyone is wondering, I'll write the letter this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post

We still have creative leadership on Anarchy Online, features are still getting designed and implemented. Just today, we're fixing bugs in our Halloween content, working on animations for the new engine, improving the NPE based on internal feedback, getting some database work done for the server merge, etc. We have the same direction. Our priorities are still the engine, server merge, NPE, and systems changes.
    I like seeing posts like this they make me feel good, thanks

hugs both of youy thanks for all you have done with Funcom! and with AO , We will miss you I been here 11 years now and I know you guys will linger and play we hope to.

-=Jobe Whompa A Place Called Home!=-
    "What would you do if you knew you could do anything? As an NT you shall not ph33r what is to come but what you can acomplish."

Creator Of The Anarchy-Online Gatherings.
    *2005*[Borealis]*2006*[ICC Platform]*2007*[Baboons] *2008*[LushFields Resort]

Don't be too worried about this, it was my decision not to have a direct hand-off in the goodbye letter. What is a "Game Director"? There are really two completely separate jobs. One is the creative lead & stakeholder on the project... so it's basically a Lead Designer with personnel responsibilities. The second job is the community aspect, and being highly visible on the forums and posting a letter every month, and this kind of thing. The reason these roles are combined on AO to be perfectly honest is because it was a job tailored to the specific strengths of a former head of the project.

We were planning for a much smoother hand-off, but we all knew this day was coming when Fia would return home. We just have to throw the goodbye party a few months earlier than expected. But whether or not the creative leadership ends up doing a lot of forum posting is kind of immaterial to the development of the game. If anyone is wondering, I'll write the letter this month.

Well if you kill the community on forums.. you also kill the game a little. Becose this is the only way the remaining players gets correct information on how things are going.
    I am afraid we will get allot less info in the future from funcom without a Director.
    And the engine has killed allot in ao.. all the time you used on better graphic should rather been used on new content,Quests, Balance etc.. maybe even a new profession or two.. those things i mentiond would increased and kept the players insted of looseing people becose you use all your time on better graphic..
    The engine is killing us..!
    Last edited by Le-Quack; Sep 19th, 2012 at 15:51:52.

so are you going to be the new de facto person to blame everything we don't like on?

Nooooo FIIIAAAAA (( if you quit i will go down with you!!!
    Thabeast 220 Engineer
    Rylourne 220 Enforcer
    Annasan 220 Soldier
    Annamorgane 220 doc
    Psyfreakout 220 crat
    Nanobots 220 Nano-Technician
    Shadowlordi 220 shade
    Ifixnotalot 220Fixer
    Milajojovich 213 Agent (soon to be 220)
    SneakyBeast 200 Agent

Equilibrium

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by nanobots View Post
    Nooooo FIIIAAAAA (( if you quit i will go down with you!!!
    Noone is going down here! If you're on rk2 add my mains Aiea or Monofilament (:
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Noone is going down here! If you're on rk2 add my mains Aiea or Monofilament (:
    confirmed: GD has advy main!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast