Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director - My last update

Take care and good luck to you Lindelu and Kintaii.. youll both be greatly missed

as for our beloved game ... we can only hope for the best outcome
    Demonkhaos level 220/30/70 Enforcer ..created in 2005
    Syrosis level 220/30 Trader..created in 2006
    Raginkhaos level 200/23 Enforcer..created in 2003
    http://www.polbear.no/red/ website
    http://www.polbear.no/red/forum/showthread.php?t=2 read before applying
    http://www.polbear.no/red/forum/showthread.php?t=5048 rules
    http://www.polbear.no/red/forum/ recruitment
    http://www.polbear.no/red/index.php/our-videos videos
    Proud General and recruiter of The Red Brotherhood

Sooo, just out of curiosity, how important is it to have a GD?

Like, is a GD like a manager in a restaurant, where, the cooks can keep cookin, and the waiters can keep taking orders and bringing out food and drinks, and the bartenders can keep slinging... and nobody even really knows the manager is taking a dirt nap in the back cuz the owner forgot to pay off the mob last week?

Or, is a GD more like a school bus driver, where, if the bus driver doesn't show up to work, basically 40 kids don't get an edumacation, 80 parents have to stay home from work to take care of the kids, and 80 companies can't be as efficient as they were supposed to be, and the government analyzes the GDP and says we're in a recession, and Reuters picks up the story and China reads the news and meanwhile they didn't get their shipment of Iron Ore, and decide to pull out investment from Western Australia Coking Coal Pty. and BHP billiton decides to lay off 14 thousand workers and then some jackass kid who didn't get to school decides to make a video of his buddy dressed up as an ewok waving a lightsabre and dubs in arabic suggesting the pr*phet uses a flashing d*ldo and that gets uploaded on U-tube and all of a sudden any westerner in the fertile crescent is getting maimed or killed by a bunch of angry militants waving machetes and they decide to bomb all the pipes shipping crude and we all end up with rising gasoline prices and in a recession and all those dudes dead over in the middle east... just because the GD was... like, goin home to be with hubby?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    ...... is a GD more like a school bus driver, where, if the bus driver doesn't show up to work, basically 40 kids don't get an edumacation, 80 parents have to stay home from work to take care of the kids, and 80 companies can't be as efficient as they were supposed to be, and the government analyzes the GDP and says we're in a recession, and Reuters picks up the story and China reads the news and meanwhile they didn't get their shipment of Iron Ore, and decide to pull out investment from Western Australia Coking Coal Pty. and BHP billiton decides to lay off 14 thousand workers and then some jackass kid who didn't get to school decides to make a video of his buddy dressed up as an ewok waving a lightsabre and dubs in arabic suggesting the pr*phet uses a flashing d*ldo and that gets uploaded on U-tube and all of a sudden any westerner in the fertile crescent is getting maimed or killed by a bunch of angry militants waving machetes and they decide to bomb all the pipes shipping crude and we all end up with rising gasoline prices and in a recession and all those dudes dead over in the middle east... just because the GD was... like, goin home to be with hubby?
    You should start making money with this type of stories!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tronnox View Post
    You should start making money with this type of stories!!!
    That
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

I will miss you as GD, liked the way how you lead AO for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Noone is going down here! If you're on rk2 add my mains Aiea or Monofilament (:
    *shrugs* these are quite familiar names to me.
    Hope to see you around again soon.

Hu ? As if a Porsche could drive without a driver.
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Dumonde
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Rank1
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Maxwell
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Zidane
    ..:: 220|28|66|e|::.. Isaak
    ..:: 215|20|56|e|::.. Rumb0
    ..:: 215|15|29|e|::.. Tiesto-1
    ..:: 212|17|46|e|::.. Pulsedriver
    ..:: 210|08|09|e|::.. Unseen

.. :: Punk :: ..

Last edited by Thorneee; Sep 20th, 2012 at 15:14:11.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    How about organizations where the leader's accounts are frozen and they either cannot afford to re-subscribe or simply do not wish to do so until further in the future when more changes are made?

City rent is still maintained, and there are active players, so this would mean players would be both without a city and without a rank. Even if we had a city somehow, without an organization rank the city is still unuseable unless city raids will be changed to allow anyone to drop the cloaks.

Perhaps some alternative option, such as an e-mail from the current president or a way to temporary transfer leadership away from and then back to the current president? Either way, I think this might turn into a much bigger problem than anticipated.
    In the case where an organization's leader is on a frozen account, you will need to write a petition or otherwise contact the CS department so the leader can be changed to a non-frozen account before the server migration.

The purpose of the voucher system is providing a choice to organizations, due to the fact we made a lot of improvements to org cities . But being able to make a choice relies on having a non-absentee org leader.

So there is really no problem... CS is aware that there will be petitions to change org leaders away from absent players/deleted characters/frozen accounts. So we just need to make sure that organizations are aware so the petitions get written, which is why I'm talking about this now. And later there will be a post with the very specific details of the server migration so everyone knows exactly what to expect (that will include this point), and others I have either answered elsewhere on the forums, or questions I anticipate people to have. The critical news will also go on the launcher page.

I appreciate how the Devs have derailed their own thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Oy man this sucks. I wish Funcom and AO would just drop what they are doing with TSW and AOC and migrate a good majority of their resources to the AO engine! From what im hearing TSW isnt doing so well and is already hosting free to play weekend events!

Shallow as it may sound, and even though i LOVE AO when i try to get my "younger" friends and family into AO they love the gameplay but they just cant deal with the dated Graphics.The longer FC waits the less and less profitable this game is going to be..then whats the point? Might as well make it 100% FTP then. IMO this is the only MMO FC ever had that made em any significant amount of money (im guessing). Losing Devs, regardless of what they tell us will arbitrarily slow up progress on projects.
    Plus the AO team should not be focusing on the "Halloween" stuff! LEAVE AO as is for now and focus 100% of your assets to the new engine. I am willing to bet real CASH that MOSt if not ALL of the AO community would be ok with missing a couple of holiday events if it meant getting the damn engine done fasterl lol. Why is this so hard for FC to understand?

Sorry for the rant yall just bumbs me out to see what i consider to be the best MMO ever made slowly wither further into obscurity ;p

Quote Originally Posted by q3aryoko View Post
    LEAVE AO as is for now and focus 100% of your assets to the new engine.
    They can't. There's only like 1 guy that works on the engine. The rest are "Content" Designers that have no coding experience and so apparently to keep em busy they just keep designing new "content" like social clothes no one wants, or new Halloween content no one's around to enjoy, or new zones no one ever visits (Collector, Notum Miner PVP zone, Rubi-Ka). If you want this game to survive UPS Vhab and Macrosun a year's worth of nonperishable food so they don't have to get up from their desks. Maybe design that lounge chair with build in toilet like in Idiocracy.
    Last edited by Kopecz; Sep 20th, 2012 at 17:22:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Good luck Lindelu. I hope Funcom will be able to bring you back in when TSW becomes a cult hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Ill be GD for credz

Badorde 220/30 ranger troxer adphy
    Mindsphere 220/30 soli crattikus
    Crowey 220/30 nindja tr0xs healthgivas
    Badorder 220/30 pewpew troks reflector
    Badodor 220/30 tarder

I am willing to bet real CASH that MOSt if not ALL of the AO community would be ok with missing a couple of holiday events if it meant getting the damn engine done fasterl lol. Why is this so hard for FC to understand
    If the whole team was made up of coders, I may agree with you. The team is made of more than just coders tho.

You want a designer or artist that don't know code to work on it?

I, do not.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Wink

I wish Funcom and AO would just drop what they are doing with TSW and AOC and migrate a good majority of their resources to the AO e I am willing to bet real CASH that MOSt if not ALL of the AO community would be ok with missing a couple of holiday events if it meant getting the damn engine done fasterl lol. Why is this so hard for FC to understand? ;p
    The Engine would be the best holiday present ever. stuff the rest of the party bits - let Have a party with the new engine online!!!!!!

Sorry to see yet another GD going. Good luck Lindilu and good luck to kintii.

So who do we get next - the janitor running the game while he's on his coffee break!! at least FC would cut down on the cost of the wage bill!!

Sorry - Its just that once it sounds like things are about to happen FC bosses step in and screw it all up again. one day maybe they will realize that the only reason there rivals do well is because they put the names of the games in the public domain - ie if I go down the pub and say I play AO they say whats that - But if I say I play WoW they know what it is even if they don't play games.

So come on FC - Engine then do some proper AD's not just online stuff. then maybe AO will make you enough money to pay for one of your other Games as well as itself!!!

I actually needed some time to process this before posting a reply.

Lindelu,

I've been quite frustrated with Funcom's approach to handling Anarchy Online over the past few years but honestly I felt as if many of the changes made while you were GD were steps in the right direction. Despite my very loud and vocal expression of being 'pissed off' about many things, most of it wasn't directed at the existing group as much as the Funcom corporation as a whole. I honestly wish that the team that was put in place just under a year ago had been around 3 or 4 years prior. A lot of changes/fixes that we'd all been asking for were implemented in your time. The fact that I could stop writing yet another angry game suggestion about those smugglers den dailies is solely a result of the fix you guys implemented. There are at least a dozen of such things that I could rattle off from the top of my head and say "good job" that I've seen in the past 10 months.

I really wish you the best in whatever it is that you do when you move back home. Being away from family can be tough, especially when there's any sort of issues going on as well (think you mentioned someone was ill). I've been there.. done that personally.

Good luck and it was nice meeting you (in the virtual sense). If I ever get back around to my paid accounts, hopefully one day we can team up and do something. Though.. advy's are kinda useless in endgame content.. might I suggest you roll a crat, soldier, doctor or enforcer j/k.. had to take a jab at something (rebalancing) in this post or it wouldn't be typical me.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Sep 20th, 2012 at 20:22:28.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Both Kintaii and Fia are content designers. It's only natural that they leave the team at this point... FC is going to focus a lot on merge, engine, profession balance and implementing content that they are more or less done with (new player experience). All this is work for coders and the team will have enough of that...

good luck Lindelu, we will miss you!
    Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

What the hell is going on with this game?...

I dont normally post on Forums,But i feel the need now.

Firstly good luck Lindelu you was steering the sinking ship to shore.

I have been playing AO since 2004, I think this is one of the best MMO's out there, and ive tried a few.

What is happening with AO, does anyone know how many of the team are left, will a different person be leaving next week, will the server merge/engine/reballance ever really happen.

I wish someone in FC would just be honest with the community, im sure we can handle it, however bad the news is.

Sorry for rant, just annoys me.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast