Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Server Migration Naming Rules

Funcom employee Server Migration Naming Rules

Hey guys, wanted to get these naming rules out to you now that the servers are down.

Please read this first!

The goal of these rules is to in the vast majority of cases make the same decision in who gets to keep a name as a rational, objective, unbiased human being would. However there will probably be corner cases, and if you login and feel as though you have wrongfully lost your name, please email customer support.

First off, we define a "naming collision" as occurring when the migration script checks to see if your name is unique across all dimensions, and it turns out that it isn't. We then pull the account data for the accounts on which each character lives, and compare stats.

Here is the algorithm we used to resolve naming collisions. It walks through each Check in order, and then either determines a "winner" (the guy who keeps the name), or it determines to move on to the next Check in the sequence if the winner cannot be determined on that check.

Check 0: Dead Accounts
    Create 3 buckets
    1. Most recent login for any character on the account is before 2003
    2. Most recent login for any character on the account is between 2003-2008
    3. Most recent login for any character on the account is after 2008

When comparing two characters, if they are in the same bucket move to Check 1. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name. Note this check is concerned with account activity, and not specifically the activity of the character in question.

Check 1: Character Age
    Create 3 buckets
    1. Age < 1 month
    2. Age between 1 and 6 months
    3. Age > 6 months

When comparing two characters, if the are in the same bracket OR if two characters are within 2 weeks of each other, move to Check 2. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name.

Check 2: Character /Played
    Create 5 buckets
    1. /Played < 48 hours
    2. /Played between 48 and 168 hours
    3. /Played between 168 and 984 hours
    4. /Played >984 hours
      1. Not played any character on their account for more than 1 year ago
      2. Has played at least 1 character on their account in the last year

When comparing two characters, if they are in the same bracket OR if two characters are within 24 hours /played each other, move to Check 3. Otherwise, the player in the higher bracket keeps the name.
    Check 3: Subscription Status
    If the two characters are both on subscribed accounts, move to Check 4. If neither characters are on subscribed accounts, move to Check 5. If they have different subscription status, the one who is the subscriber keeps the name.
    Check 4: Subscription Active
    If both subscriptions are active, move to Check 5. If they have different values for active/inactive subscription, the one who is the active subscriber keeps the name.
    Check 5: Was Born First
    If the algorithm reaches this check, tie-breakers are resolved by who was born first.

A couple of notes:
    • Levels are not included because we don't want to penalize characters for being a mid-level twink. AO is a game where you can invest just as much time, effort, and passion into a non-220 as a 220.
    • No preference is given for dimension source. This includes D3 (German Servers).
    • A Froob will only lose to a Subscriber if they have previously tied on /Played and Character Age
    • Most collisions got resolved on Check 2 and before. I'm not aware of a single collision that actually hit Check 5.
    Last edited by Ilaliya; Feb 26th, 2013 at 23:10:57.

This should help make things clear as mud!

<3
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Hmm clears up things... Not that I have any issue likely.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

thx a lot Ilaliya
    You can try to repress your sorrow but let it never fall into Oblivion

-= Knight Yullaw 220/30/70 =- -=Tradeskiller Flip 220/30 =-
    and some other Toons *caugh*

Played is likely the biggest tie breaker?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

How many extra char slots?
    Toyhazard 220/30/70 Engie
    Dwix 220/30/70 Fix
    Deathwalkerz 220/30/70 Advie
    Deathsrow 170/24/42 Advie
    Rowsofdeath 161/22/42 Fix
    Buckket 118/11 Agent
    Lemonparty 85/9 Tard
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I can't code in better leadership for the Clan faction.

So the one who wins, keeps their name...
    Does the person who loses, loses the name altogether and becomes "Default####"?
    Characters:
    Legendfluff (with many accounts of froobs)

Froob Level 5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/I19c92X.jpg
    Froob atrox Lv5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/2zVqTX9.jpg

With the onset of awakened beast armor, we can now equip Alpha chest on Atrox Soldiers & Alpha Brain on Atrox Doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Check 5: Tie-breakers from the above checks resolved by who was born first
    Perfect!
    You have not wasted your day if you have laughed at least once and learned at least one new thing. ~Jokzer

The way I see it, the loot, the levels, all the binary is temporary and can be lost at any time. The only permanent thing in the game are the people and the memories you make with them. ~Silq

~ Homeostasis ~ Proud member of ARETE ~RX~. 2001-2014 - It's been a wonderful journey! *hugs* from Homeo and her army of alts!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Legendfluf View Post
    So the one who wins, keeps their name...
    Does the person who loses, loses the name altogether and becomes "Default####"?
    Their name becomes either "R1" or "R2" followed by a string of numbers
    Last edited by Ilaliya; Feb 26th, 2013 at 23:02:10.

Only one character-name lost. Checked if it was taken, was not. Customer support contacted. Let's hope it gets fixed fast.
    Last edited by Jihnna; Feb 26th, 2013 at 23:09:34.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Check 4: Subscription active
    At what time? Before or right after the server merge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    Only one character-name lost. Checked if it was taken, was not. Customer support contacted. Let's hope it gets fixed fast.
    How did you figure that out??

edit: Never mind: missed the server notice

edit 2: also 1 name gone, hope this can be sorted... Is my main toon since 2006 lol (just reactivated for server merge )
    Last edited by tigerengi; Feb 26th, 2013 at 23:48:45.

I'm disappointed that age was checked before /played (and that there aren't more buckets for /played, e.g. <5 hrs.)

Anyway, I noticed that characters don't yet exist on the new server until activated. Will inactive toon names be freed up after a period of time and available again, or is everything final now?

I lost the name of a recent (2 month old) toon, 133 hrs /played and TL6 now, to a lvl 5 unorged toon from Rimor. Could be an active lvl 5 twink with hours of work into it, but I highly doubt it, and would love to have the chance to get the name back sometime in the future.
    Sorhan 220/30/70 fix * Aeschines 220/30/70 crat * Mengqi 220/30/70 sol * Hephaistion 220/30/67 adv
    President of the Obsidian Order - Join us today!

So what part of that algorithm would cause a character on Dim2 to lose it's name when there's no char on Dim1 or Dim3 with the same name...?
    And how do you get a name change?
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Sorhan View Post
    I'm disappointed that age was checked before /played (and that there aren't more buckets for /played, e.g. <5 hrs.)
    Well, with the age buckets... everyone who created their character before 6 months ago is treated the same with respect to character age. So basically, characters that were created before we announced the migration have priority over characters that were created after we announced the migration. And I think that makes sense.

Will we be able to request that names are switched?
    Ex. I have two characters with the same name on different dimensions, but the one I don't play gets the name with your algorithm, can I request this to be changed without having to pay for 3 name changes?

How do we change our "string of numbers" to a name? Petition?

How do you petition, email support, ??? when the name algorithym did not work?
    For example, paid toon started in Oct 2012 when no one had the name on the other server at the time, toon is title 4 now, but still lost the name today to a froob lvl 17 toon.

Kinnik
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; Feb 27th, 2013 at 02:00:32. Reason: Where are the directions for dealing with name issues?

Wow this is really some mess you guys have created. I have character names messed up, gui all messed up, backpacks in bank are reset. I dont even want to start cleaning up my 2 accounts, or emailing your rediculous support. I am very unhappy funcom. I am cancelling 4 accounts until you can get things straight.
    An Apple a day, keeps the Doctor away!

Ok, still confused on the rules as I checked People of RK when I started a toon less than 6 months ago. Character did not exist on either server. Figured there was no sense starting one with an existing name. Just prior to the server merge checked and there was a level 19 unpiad toon on with the name on Atlanteen that, based on the history I could see, was started after mine, but it seems less than 6 months counts the same. So, my title 4 paid toon lost to a level 19 unpaid toon started after me. Ok, maybe under the rules they were permanently logged on. The real problem for me is there is no direction on how to get a name change other than paying for it. No guidance, no direction, etc. It would be nice to have some information.
    Last edited by Deemure; Feb 27th, 2013 at 02:15:55.

I have no problem with naming rules. But my biggest problem is I lost my name and it was replaced with the R1###########. How do I go about getting a new name for my character?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    How do we change our "string of numbers" to a name? Petition?

How do you petition, email support, ??? when the name algorithym did not work?
    For example, paid toon started in Oct 2012 when no one had the name on the other server at the time, toon is title 4 now, but still lost the name today to a froob lvl 17 toon.

Kinnik
    This the new name rule I found by testing In-game ....

/name nick "new name here"

example:
    Sending name change request.
    [Name-Request]: [Merge Character Name Change Service] You have submitted a request for a name change. Your new character's name will be "Torban". If this is correct please log out for 5 minutes while we submit your name change request. If "Torban" is NOT correct, simply type /name nick [newname] again to select another name. Please note that once you have logged out and your name change is processed you will not be able to use this service again.

I do not know if it works yet ...

Kinnik

edit: I logged off and waited the 5 or so minutes and re-logged ... it worked for me at least.
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; Feb 27th, 2013 at 03:08:50. Reason: it worked

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast