Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- January 25th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    The only game I suggest buying a 6 or 12 month sub are games that still get updates, like SW TOR
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    But how would you pilot a mech without all these buttons?
    this is joystick.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

If they don't do engine and stuff, they can at least do something. I think they are too exaggerated when it comes to the rebalancing, and I doubt most players asked for very drastic changes.

Some updates to the current professions and tweaks to the game would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    Oh... That's just... WRONG!
    I'm always expounding on what the GMs/ARKs do, but having someone that doesn't even know the game giving advice and solving problems just isn't gonna work!!! If he doesn't know something so simple, how can he solve deeper problems?
    Apart from using AoC-terms, the GM did fine tho
    Last edited by leetlover; Jan 27th, 2013 at 21:51:51.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Doesn't matter if people asked for changes or not, the thing with balance is that it is needed. There is a lot of useless and/or over-powered crap out there that has been neglected over the years and that needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Doesn't matter if people asked for changes or not, the thing with balance is that it is needed. There is a lot of useless and/or over-powered crap out there that has been neglected over the years and that needs to change.
    Yeah, but not a total redefintion/remake which can be said for some cases in the proposals.

Btw, our twinks!
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

It seems that Bets on Closure thread I made in Reet Retreat was spot on...

As far as Steam goes because everyone keeps asking about it and making a big stink, lets look at the facts.

If AO was released on Steam right now new players would get:

-Crappy starter experience
    -Massive lag/unable to play because of the old engine
    -No idea WTF they are doing because of the crappy starter experience
    -Would not stay and no new blood in the game

I dont know about you guys, but releasing AO on Steam right now would be bad. I want new blood in the game and I dont want them detoured because of the crappy starter. Also I would like it if the engine were released so it can run properly on newer machines. It would make more sense that engine and NPE were released and finished first then do a relaunch of AO on steam for maximum gain.
    To paraphrase Donald Rumsfield - When the population and profit **** hits the fan, you go to Steam with the game you have, not the game you might want or wish to have at a later time.

Honestly now, everyone here went through noob island (or whatever was before that) and turned out fine. And if new players can't pick themselves up and continue from there, they don't stand a chance anyway because the rest of AO isn't any friendlier, compared to the hand holding people get in other games these days.

Let's face facts: This is FC. If you want to wait for the perfect set of circumstances before unveiling AO to the only outlet that could infuse it with new players, send me a PM in another 5 years.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Times are different now then what they use to be. Nowadays the market is over-saturated with MMOs and those with a good first impression usually get someone's money. With new players it is safe to say they have played other MMOs and have some sort of expectation. Every new MMO has a decent startup experience that shows you the ropes. Even EVE online has revamped their starter experience several times and that game is way more complicated than AO I think.

AO does not have a good startup experience. You are plopped on an island and you run left, you have no sense of direction and new players probably dont know that quest NPCs have blue names.

Also to add, I am not saying that the current starter experience brings in players, but more than likely it turns away more than it keeps.
    Last edited by MachSchau; Jan 27th, 2013 at 23:32:55. Reason: Last edited by Anarrina because she loves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    they don't stand a chance anyway because the rest of AO isn't any friendlier, compared to the hand holding people get in other games these days.

Are you serious about the hand holding bit?

New players, unless they try to go it alone and refuse to join an org, make friends or participate in any kind of group based game-play are routinely power-leveled all the way to the endgame and they have been for quite some time. It takes a new player a week (or less if they have no life) to get to 220, effectively bypassing the entire game. That's actually a pretty bad thing on games like AO that has no real endgame to speak of.

In fact, AO was the first place that I saw this kind of hand holding but I erroneously attributed it to the game's population issues rather than the industry-wide trend that it turned out to be.

I did not read all the other prior pages just the original, and I was wondering with this move happening does that mean that some if not all of the AO team currently going to be losing their jobs or what? and you said that AO might get some of the needed attention does that mean that AO may not see developers?
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

No, it does not take a new player a week to get to 220. That is an extreme over-exaggeration. The new player would have to have some sort of knowledge about the game, have the credits to purchase kiteing and then have someone roll him inf missions. It is a major issue finding people, let alone good people, to team with for basic leveling. Too many people want quick fast leveling and that comes at a price.

Times are different now then what they use to be. Nowadays the market is over-saturated with MMOs and those with a good first impression usually get someone's money. With new players it is safe to say they have played other MMOs and have some sort of expectation. Every new MMO has a decent startup experience that shows you the ropes. Even EVE online has revamped their starter experience several times and that game is way more complicated than AO I think.

AO does not have a good startup experience. You are plopped on an island and you run left, you have no sense of direction and new players probably dont know that quest NPCs have blue names.

Also to add, I am not saying that the current starter experience brings in players, but more than likely it turns away more than it keeps.
    EVE just had a 2800 player battle. They are definitely doing something right: http://kotaku.com/5979349/this-video...-in-eve-online

Quote Originally Posted by Luminita View Post
    Are you serious about the hand holding bit?

New players, unless they try to go it alone and refuse to join an org, make friends or participate in any kind of group based game-play are routinely power-leveled all the way to the endgame and they have been for quite some time. It takes a new player a week (or less if they have no life) to get to 220, effectively bypassing the entire game. That's actually a pretty bad thing on games like AO that has no real endgame to speak of.

In fact, AO was the first place that I saw this kind of hand holding but I erroneously attributed it to the game's population issues rather than the industry-wide trend that it turned out to be.
    Wat

I couldn't even hit 150 in a week, as a veteran from 2001, even offering 10m/level for kiting. I sat there at 105 and offered people 10m/level for kiting for roughly 4-5 hours a day, 4 days in a row, and didn't get a single person to even reply. There's no way a new player will hit 220 in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    Wat

I couldn't even hit 150 in a week, as a veteran from 2001, even offering 10m/level for kiting. I sat there at 105 and offered people 10m/level for kiting for roughly 4-5 hours a day, 4 days in a row, and didn't get a single person to even reply. There's no way a new player will hit 220 in a week.
    you can get to 150 in one second with heckler joose lol.

If we're going to fall into cybernetic oblivion, why not do it in style? I think all of Anarchy Online's problems can be solved in two words : Jay Wilson
    ♚ Hail To The King Baby. ♚

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    This is joystick!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:At...0-Joystick.jpg
    ♚ Hail To The King Baby. ♚

Quote Originally Posted by haxi View Post
    EVE just had a 2800 player battle. They are definitely doing something right: http://kotaku.com/5979349/this-video...-in-eve-online
    EVE is doing everything right.

Nothing but LOL's when you look at EVE's avatars compared to AO,
    take into account that its a spaceship based game, and that they
    are both close to the same age. I fact EVE has one of the best looking
    avatars in any game, sad they had to .... well that is a different topic.

I got tired of FC's bs promises of a new engine 3 years ago and
    moved to EVE. I check in now and then to marvel at the fact people
    still belive, even at this point.

The best thing they could do for AO now is put a bullet in it already ffs.

End the suffering.
    why Why WHY ?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by agentgimpy View Post
    The best thing they could do for AO now is put a bullet in it already ffs.

End the suffering.
    God no, I rather enjoy playing thank you.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    God no, I rather enjoy playing thank you.
    I do, too, but I would much rather see the game die a clean, fast death than a slow, lingering death from apathy and neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    Honestly now, everyone here went through noob island (or whatever was before that) and turned out fine. And if new players can't pick themselves up and continue from there, they don't stand a chance anyway because the rest of AO isn't any friendlier, compared to the hand holding people get in other games these days.
    While I don't want to dumb down Anarchy Online any more than it already has it is still a well known fact that AO has several obstacles for new players to get past. The problem is that a lot of todays players doesn't have the patience to learn enough about a game in order to proceed past those walls, especially when they can just uninstall and download a new game faster than ever before.

AO is a great game, it's fun and it's charming and it has kept players long enough for their kids to grow old enough to have their own account. Most of us has been around for a while, we know the game and we know how we felt when we started playing, but is that how a new player will feel when playing it for the first time? I'd rather see FC dumb the game down than to continue down this destructive path where they listen way to much to us old-timers :P

If hand holding is what the game needs to survive in the long term, then bring it on. We already know the game so I doubt any such changes would effect us in any major way.

Getting past the first initial walls is what new players need, once they have enough knowledge they are ready to venture out on their own.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast