Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- January 25th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    Getting past the first initial walls is what new players need, once they have enough knowledge they are ready to venture out on their own.
    I believe this is what the NPE and new engine are all about.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Question is if we're ever going to see those. Maybe NPE, cause most of it has been made, but they're probably just going to throw the resources on live and we'll end up with something akin to what we had pre-noob island, but prettier. Why? Cause there aren't going to be any devs that know anything about AO anymore.

Alternatively, it'll go on the backburner till they maybe hire someone new.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

AO could potentially be better than any of FC's current games if they saw the community's determination.
    The fact this game is STILL around after all this time, and that people who quit come back with free months or just to check in shows how special this game is.

The restructure doesnt sound good for AO.

ps. Is this kickstarter serious??
    Wake me up when West Athen is full of tl7 pvp again!!

Used to be reading the forums was fun, now it's just filled with grief and hate.
    Used to be I believed in a new engine, now it's just yet another unfulfilled dream.
    Used to be I had 2 paid accounts, now I can't even find the time to log a froob.

New content, new engine, lower price will help. $3.99 a month, even I might come back. There have been too many set backs, unfulfilled promises, and lost friends for me to play the game. Too much doom and gloom for the game to thrive, something big and positive needs to happen.

New player area won't mean squat without the new engine. The only people that go there are former paid players that gave up their accounts and roll a froob. When I made my last froob, I was the only one on noob island. When I rolled my 1st toon many years ago, noob island was packed and I fought kill stealers on every boss. At least that problem has been solved.

Would help if newbies started with say 5mill, at least that would get them implants, armor a med suit, stimms and sitpacks and a few weapons...
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    Would help if newbies started with say 5mill, at least that would get them implants, armor a med suit, stimms and sitpacks and a few weapons...
    That would have to be implemented as a 5m per account thing, and only for paid accounts. Otherwise it would just be abused as a new way to make credits.
    And even then, new players often don't know how to trade items/credits from 1 toon to another on the same account, and that can't be done without using a 2nd account or attempting to have another person transfer the credits for you so there would probably be issues with scammers sitting on noob island.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    amg the roll farm !
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

I agree with the 5m. 5m is enough credits for those first 50-60 levels but it should be gained while they are leveling/through a series of quests. They should at least redo the basic shop weapon terminal and put in weapons that are useful.

With the re-structuring and having one (big?) team working on 3 mmos we may or may not interact with devs that dont have a clue about how AO works and if they read these forums for information or if they are on testlive and we talk to them about some mechanic that is broken or oped they might just ignore us because they dont know any better and might just dismiss good ideas. But then again, the devs in previous years have ignored sound reason by players so I think this is going to be a trip back to the stone age and ultimately mass disgruntlement, but what else is new.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    I agree with the 5m. 5m is enough credits for those first 50-60 levels but it should be gained while they are leveling/through a series of quests.
    Yes, I don't know if the new player experience addresses this, but I'm thinking it would be the ideal place to give players their first million through questing.
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Yeah, wasn't thinking about that when I posted lol.
    But a quest that takes time (by which I don't mean spinning it out by running for miles between talking to people) to get 5mill would be good.
    5mill WILL keep a character in decent gear till lvl60 I reckon, but there's no way for a newbie to make that sort of cash.

And I forgot about nanos...!!!
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Tailored quest rewards plus alternative currency would be a better solution for newbie gearups i think. No inflation that way. Maybe the daily mission agency could open a company store.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

I think "newb" currency is a fantastic idea. A new player can gain "newb" currency and spend it on the essentials while also gaining credits on the side to spend when that player has already accumulated the newb items available through "newb" currency.

Another currency?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtrauma View Post
    Tailored quest rewards plus alternative currency would be a better solution for newbie gearups i think. No inflation that way. Maybe the daily mission agency could open a company store.
    I think another currency on Rubika is a fail we already got enough.(about 4 or 5 I'm not sure)
    Startup mish playable once per account sounds nice to me and may give real newbees a good chance to find out how AO is working.

Question If we read between lines as mentioned before...

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSane4 View Post
    If Ilaliya, Genele and Macrosun are still on board I don't think the sky is falling. If not, thanks for a lot of fun and it's been a pleasure .
    ...you could read the first post like
    "Macrosun and Vhab have done a tremendous job over the last year to make the engine a reality -- ..."
    and in the Space between -- is written: "For that, we say: thank you very much and good bye!"

As far as we know today, Vhab will leave in the near future.
    Last edited by gufo; Jan 28th, 2013 at 19:12:04.

There are only two currencies. I dont consider veteran points currency. Credits and victory points and that's it. So a third and strictly low level currency sounds more appropriate to combat people rolling a million alts to credit farm in the event that some newb experience leads to hyper inflation.

only two?

There are only two currencies. I dont consider veteran points currency. Credits and victory points and that's it. So a third and strictly low level currency sounds more appropriate to combat people rolling a million alts to credit farm in the event that some newb experience leads to hyper inflation.
    What about FC-Points and that Phasefront stuff? And yes, veteran points are an currency for me. But anyway i like that idea of start up mish to get in to the game. Every three lvl one possible mish and at lvl 15 you start with 5 mill in the game. (It will take more time to get these 5 mill than cash farming in higher lvl's)
    Last edited by gufo; Jan 28th, 2013 at 19:08:34.

I think "newb" currency is a fantastic idea. A new player can gain "newb" currency and spend it on the essentials while also gaining credits on the side to spend when that player has already accumulated the newb items available through "newb" currency.
    Have to disagree here. I think there are already in place a lot of lowbie quests for startup equip nanos. The problem is most people don't know where they are or how to start them. Some are out dated but the frame work is there.

Examples. living cyber armor quest, or roller rat tails. Even in nascense some of the compact discs take you to quest starters that give symbiants. Add a few more of this type of start up mission/quest and make them easier to find/start and there wouldn't be need for start up credits. Would also be nice for SL shade/keeper have ability to buy startup nano bundle like on newbie island.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Have to disagree here. I think there are already in place a lot of lowbie quests for startup equip nanos. The problem is most people don't know where they are or how to start them. Some are out dated but the frame work is there.

Examples. living cyber armor quest, or roller rat tails. Even in nascense some of the compact discs take you to quest starters that give symbiants. Add a few more of this type of start up mission/quest and make them easier to find/start and there wouldn't be need for start up credits. Would also be nice for SL shade/keeper have ability to buy startup nano bundle like on newbie island.
    I totally agree!

Two best options are dirt cheap, or free to play. I login about once a day for 1-2 hours, waiting for an inferno team. No one shows up, I log back off, try again the next day. It's been like this for about 2 weeks now. I won't be resubbing when I run out in mid summer. There is no way in hell I am paying for an empty game. Sorry. I want to love it, fund it, make it better. But you aren't giving me a whole lot of options to level up and participate end game in any kind of reasonable sense. Not even buying experience stims could help me. You people that claim the price is just fine are just out right out of your **** minds. Everything is going free to play, everything. Funcom however creative and fresh, and neat their idea's are. Their corporate moves like a sloth. I feel bad for the creative minds on these projects, because all of the funding has always and forever have gone to new games. AOC was supposed to be epic, it busted, TSW was supposed to be epic, it busted too. Stop making new games, shore up the ones you have, make those games great, and stop creating Bloodlines and all the other pieces of nonsense that other companies have cornered AKA DOTA.
    ♚ Hail To The King Baby. ♚

At least we'll get to see just how carebear-ish evade soldiers are soon!!111

If there's anyone left... O_o
    *BAM*

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast