Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- January 25th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Vurtuoso View Post
    Two best options are dirt cheap, or free to play. I login about once a day for 1-2 hours, waiting for an inferno team. No one shows up, I log back off, try again the next day. It's been like this for about 2 weeks now. I won't be resubbing when I run out in mid summer. There is no way in hell I am paying for an empty game. Sorry. I want to love it, fund it, make it better. But you aren't giving me a whole lot of options to level up and participate end game in any kind of reasonable sense. Not even buying experience stims could help me. You people that claim the price is just fine are just out right out of your **** minds. Everything is going free to play, everything. Funcom however creative and fresh, and neat their idea's are. Their corporate moves like a sloth. I feel bad for the creative minds on these projects, because all of the funding has always and forever have gone to new games. AOC was supposed to be epic, it busted, TSW was supposed to be epic, it busted too. Stop making new games, shore up the ones you have, make those games great, and stop creating Bloodlines and all the other pieces of nonsense that other companies have cornered AKA DOTA.
    I'm one of the lucky ones, I'm part of an old, longstanding, well respected Org and we're part of a large alliance of active orgs, there's something going on every day and you can usually find mission teams.
    Maybe an Org change could help...

As for the newbie credits thing, how about simple missions to get the actual proff based implant sets / nanos / carbonum / whatever, instead of buying them in the shop.
    That way us old guys can just use creds to buy them (drop in the ocean to us vets) and free to the poor newbies!
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

They merge the servers. Then They merge the teams. Next They will merge the games. Anarchy The Secret Age is coming...
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogline View Post
    They merge the servers. Then They merge the teams. Next They will merge the games. Anarchy The Secret Age is coming...
    ..The end of Funcom is coming.

Dark Days Are Coming?

...or are they here already I wonder?
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Cogline View Post
    Anarchy The Secret Age is coming...
    Catchy! ^^
    >>> AO-Universe <<<

As the game has evolved, old loot from old content is no longer produced into the gameworld so much. It takes a lot of work to get stuff, too much. Back in the day many people did panderaids in medsuits due to the long reperk-timer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    Would help if newbies started with say 5mill, at least that would get them implants, armor a med suit, stimms and sitpacks and a few weapons...
    Or that the current AO-devs simply updated the 'start-up' vendor for example.

Also; Stimulants, QL 300 implants/clusters, types, ql 125+ nanos etc could be added to the vp-shop, and also elsewhere in the game, where players currently play the game instead of having the 'game-enabling' items drop from unplayed content.

Thats a problem with expansions. Old players move on, new players fall behind.

Having battlestation affect global research or something might be cool.

PS/
    They done so many mistakes w starter-area. Like adding buffed guards to west athen and then to remove morningstar (which had a lot of info on the political conflict), to remove the girl in newbie island that welcomed you with a sci-fi item she used on u to explain respawning etc...
    Last edited by leetlover; Jan 29th, 2013 at 02:10:12.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

The problem is not new players or difficult learning curves.
    It is a severely outdated and neglected marketing and visual experience and ultimately, Funcom it self.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    actual proff based implant sets
    I don't know anyone who ever uses a full set of the profession implant sets available in the shops, they're just horribly inefficient.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    I don't know anyone who ever uses a full set of the profession implant sets available in the shops, they're just horribly inefficient.
    As a new player, I used them for a fair few levels. They're a great starter item.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Snakebite, thanks a bunch, but there are a few barriers, you are probably on Rk1, I am Rk2, and I hate handouts. Which is why MMO's drive me crazy sometimes, because they force you to beg for other peoples help to progress through the game. This one in particular is pretty bad. Tons and tons of tribal knowledge that isn't in a help menu or a tutorial in the game that YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LEARN FROM OTHER PLAYERS.
    ♚ Hail To The King Baby. ♚

Out of curiosity, when will be the next development update ? Is there even going to be one ?
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

I will use the stock imps for leveling toons, at least until level 30 or so when I have outgrown the highest QL ones in the shops (except for fixer, soldier or trader toons. These I always make myself).

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    As a new player, I used them for a fair few levels. They're a great starter item.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminita View Post
    I will use the stock imps for leveling toons, at least until level 30 or so when I have outgrown the highest QL ones in the shops (except for fixer, soldier or trader toons. These I always make myself).
    I've only ever used a couple of the profession specific implants, and the rest I got from the other professions' booths. It's more a "a full set from one professions' booths are inefficient" more than anything else imo.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

I've only ever used a couple of the profession specific implants, and the rest I got from the other professions' booths. It's more a "a full set from one professions' booths are inefficient" more than anything else imo.
    They are still way more ´efficient´ than none or the loot a new player can get. When they even know it exists and how it works.. It's definitely better than giving credits to new players.
    blah

Moving to NC is not as bad as you might think. Multi Media companies based in La Belle Province can get up to over 30% of payroll back as tax deductions(hoop jumping required). However the Canadian dollar is higher than the american dollar atm and in October of 2012 Quebec proposed to drastically raise Corporate, Capital Gains and Personal taxes. They giveth with one hand and take back with the other hand and both feet as well. They constantly chase business's out of the province then have to entice them back.

As for game play, our org lost a new player to the game today because he like getting items on his own and was very turned off by the whole implanting to get somewhere mode built into the game. He wasnt into role-playing so there's not much left for him to do. It would be nice if the rebalanced engineers would be introduced as the same time as new the engine release so a self confessed loner like him would find something to do while they wandered around and enjoyed themselves. Not everyone enjoys competitive gambling disguised as an MMO. Some people just wanna slack off

Thanks for all the hard work tho and hope you guys on the front line don't get too stressed out. If you do, being in Montreal gives you a few ways to blow off steam(no pun intended). Wink wink.

Snakebite, thanks a bunch, but there are a few barriers, you are probably on Rk1, I am Rk2, and I hate handouts. Which is why MMO's drive me crazy sometimes, because they force you to beg for other peoples help to progress through the game.
    No actually, I'm Dim2...
    And there's no handouts involved in our Org, eventually we're all expected to put back into the pot in some way, be it items, creds or time and effort.

Tons and tons of tribal knowledge that isn't in a help menu or a tutorial in the game that YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LEARN FROM OTHER PLAYERS.
    Sounds like real life to me!
    >>> AO-Universe <<<

Snakebite, thanks a bunch, but there are a few barriers, you are probably on Rk1, I am Rk2, and I hate handouts. Which is why MMO's drive me crazy sometimes, because they force you to beg for other peoples help to progress through the game. This one in particular is pretty bad. Tons and tons of tribal knowledge that isn't in a help menu or a tutorial in the game that YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LEARN FROM OTHER PLAYERS.
    There's no begging involved in an MMO if you play with people properly. If you beg, you'll be ignored. If you're a valuable and interested person, you'll move forward and pull your own weight, you won't sit around on your behind while someone else does the work for you. You might be lucky and suddenly have all those high lvls go "lol let's go help Vurtuoso get that stuff from that boss! It'll be fun!" and a group will steamroll something and you'll go "cool, you guys rock!". Every org I've ever been a part of has been a group of players working towards the betterment of everyone in the org, not a group of individuals just strung together for the buffs associated with having an org. It was never about begging or riding on anyone's back, it was about cooperation and community.

And all that tribal knowledge? That was figured out by players in the past and you could figure it out again if you want to. Or you can pick it up from some fansite like AOuniverse or curiosity and ingame communication. I don't see much of anything bad in having things not have a big sign saying "go here to loot this and then there", part of the fun of AO is that there are these obscure things that you might not know about, but someone else does.

But begging? Begging is for people who quit before they started. Begging is not for those interested in the game, in the world, in playing, in enjoying themselves and being part of a community, enjoying that being a part means both giving and receiving.

Maybe that's far too communist for some, but lone wolves will always be at a disadvantage in a hostile environment.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jan 29th, 2013 at 16:37:31.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I do a fair bit of lone-wolfing (or "exploring" as I call it) but have been happy to team with random people and/or give advice. Even a Froob gets a very, very big world to stoat about in. And it's nice to be nice (until you shoot 'em in the back/ use 'em as a meatshield/ run a train into 'em).
    Last edited by Cogline; Jan 29th, 2013 at 16:56:23. Reason: Trying to post on a rather elderly phone with a tiny screen = spalling mistooks
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Tons and tons of tribal knowledge that isn't in a help menu or a tutorial in the game that YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LEARN FROM OTHER PLAYERS.
    I thought it was one of the strengths of mmorpgs, you know, community :S
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    I thought it was one of the strengths of mmorpgs, you know, community :S
    It was at one time. The communities of most modern MMOs are now so utterly toxic that many people go out of their way to avoid unnecessary contact with people that they don't know. AO and Vanguard are the only exceptions to this rule (of the games that I play anyway) and that's probably because they appeal to an older and much smaller audience.
    Last edited by Luminita; Jan 29th, 2013 at 17:43:51.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast