Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 428

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- January 25th 2013

  1. #121
    what no engine? Seriusly, to my eyes AO always was a good looking game. So no problem here.

    Server merge is the most important change and gladly its comming.

    NPE probably the second greatest issue, incoming, yaaay! New blood is fun, but being new isnt for most people.

    Brings me to system changes aka rebalance. The only AOs strongpoint is gameplay. Why is rebalance away from main priorities. For sure it must be easier than engine, yet in many ways it improves the playability more.

    And as for engine? Not a priority for me, someday it will come and after a few days we'll complain about aimed shot again.
    OT-RP Foreva!

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    I think it's time to remind some poor-intentioned players that the reason you PAY is to play the game ... to be more clear, the game that exists on the live servers right NOW.

    If you pay for any other reason, especially one where you THINK something will happen in the future, that's your own fault.
    Yeah like totally. A company has no responsibility whatsoever to give their customers reasonable expectations. They can totally tell you anything to string you along and it's your fault if you're stupid enough to beleive it!

    Personally I wasn't disappointed by this. I ran out of disappointed long time ago.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Yeah like totally. A company has no responsibility whatsoever to give their customers reasonable expectations.
    The only expectation is that when you pay for an account, you can play AO on that account. Read the EULA if you want the long version of that. Giving AO money guarantees nothing beyond that.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jan 26th, 2013 at 00:50:34.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Not too bad. Timeline seems to be updated. From what I gather...

    Merge within 60 days after a few more soft patches on test.

    NPE probably late summer testserver, along with partial rebalance. Which will probably get about 4-6 patches to get it right. Those 2 seem to be linked logistically.

    Engine will be delayed until after rebalance sometime from what i'm understanding. Most likely from reverse engineering the graphics to work on lower video settings?
    You're talking out of the wrong orifice.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

    Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    The only expectation is that when you pay for an account, you can play AO on that account. Read the EULA if you want the long version of that. Giving AO money guarantees nothing beyond that.
    And guaranteeing nothing beyond that gets them no money, which makes your point completely semantic.
    Jutu 220/30/70 MP - Equip
    Deavin 220/26/69 Enf - Equip
    STORM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehrer
    If, after hearing my songs, just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend, or perhaps to strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while.

  6. #126
    That's just nonsense. People pay for access to the game to play it. That gives AO money. As long as people like the game enough to pay for it to play it, AO will give FC money. If people are just giving AO money by paying for accounts they don't play, for whatever reason, that's not the fault of FC. It's a fallacy that some promise of future service entices people that aren't interested in the current service to pay a company. Think about what you are saying. Unless you are an eccentric investor or a huge fan with gobs of cash, you simply don't 'fund' a development through paying for accounts you don't use.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jan 26th, 2013 at 01:20:25.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

  7. #127
    Stop arguing. If your going to waste words target the real problem. Funcom.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    The only expectation is that when you pay for an account, you can play AO on that account. Read the EULA if you want the long version of that. Giving AO money guarantees nothing beyond that.
    That is some really poor reasoning. Let's say you re-sub for a year. A FunCom employee sees your Facebook (or whatever) profile the next day and he doesn't like the way you look on your profile photo. So, he decides to ban you. That's also fine, EULA says that FunCom can ban any account for any reason. He doesn't like your face.

    What you might have meant is: it is completely legal for FunCom not to release the new engine or any other thing that we anticipated. Well, there is a difference between "illegal" and "wrong"...
    Last edited by BytEfLUSh2; Jan 26th, 2013 at 01:30:19. Reason: quoted the wrong message

  9. #129
    It's poor reasoning why? It's true. I continually hear that people are upset that they pay for the game and FC isn't delivering ....

    What is it that you pay for that they aren't delivering? It's very clear in EULA what value you get for your money. This isn't some pact between you and FC that you solidify with a financial transaction that they will deliver on developments at a specific time. The whole idea that FC 'owes' players something more than game access because we pay is just an over reactive sense of entitlement. There isn't some sense of morality here. The whole premise that it's 'wrong' for FC to not deliver whatever whenever simply because we pay for game access is comical.

    Delays piss you off? Me too. but I don't get all in their face with 'I quit' threats and moaning. Is it in their best interests to deliver these things? yes of course. I think they know that. They do what they can under their circumstances. Most people posting here are obviously unaware there is a real business underlying their hobby. These things should have little or no impact to your decision to play the game. If you like the game and want to play it, pay up. If the game bores you, don't sub. It's simple. The threats are just childish and sadly, most people here aren't children.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jan 26th, 2013 at 01:58:15.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

  10. #130
    I somewhat agree with you (well, mostly, to be honest), but I got the feeling that you were saying that FunCom's promises shouldn't affect our subscription... Yes, I (mostly) like the game as it is, but you can't ignore hearing promises over and over again and then getting nothing... it's really... well, wrong. It's not something a company that is involved in such a high-competitive industry should do.

    I love the game, and I'd love to see it get better. However, so far we only have the game. The "getting better" part is arriving at less than 10% of the announced speed. And that's the thing that bugs me (and, I believe, most other players).

    Edit: Just read the edited post... Well, I for one wasn't among those who ragequit, but I can understand that many players felt betrayed by FC promises and do not see any future for AO. I am still optimistic, but I can't really say who's right and who's wrong here... Let's just say that I'm... well, "agnostic" about AO and it's future... but I do have faith in it.

    Edit 2: The point I'm trying to make is that no-one here threatened FC with legal action. No-one said they didn't fulfill their end of the contract. Invoking EULA on matters such as these is pointless. FC simply has many unsatisfied customers which do not want to continue using their services.
    Last edited by BytEfLUSh2; Jan 26th, 2013 at 02:13:00.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    That's just nonsense. People pay for access to the game to play it. That gives AO money. As long as people like the game enough to pay for it to play it, AO will give FC money. If people are just giving AO money by paying for accounts they don't play, for whatever reason, that's not the fault of FC. It's a fallacy that some promise of future service entices people that aren't interested in the current service to pay a company. Think about what you are saying. Unless you are an eccentric investor or a huge fan with gobs of cash, you simply don't 'fund' a development through paying for accounts you don't use.
    What. That isn't even remotely related to what I wrote. You need to clean the gunk out of your eyes and try reading my post again.
    Jutu 220/30/70 MP - Equip
    Deavin 220/26/69 Enf - Equip
    STORM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehrer
    If, after hearing my songs, just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend, or perhaps to strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    What is it that you pay for that they aren't delivering? It's very clear in EULA what value you get for your money.
    See the issue here is very very few people actually read the eula.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Delays piss you off? Me too. but I don't get all in their face with 'I quit' threats and moaning.
    Neither does anybody else though.

    They just quit.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor


    Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by BytEfLUSh2 View Post
    Edit 2: The point I'm trying to make is that no-one here threatened FC with legal action. No-one said they didn't fulfill their end of the contract. Invoking EULA on matters such as these is pointless. FC simply has many unsatisfied customers which do not want to continue using their services.
    I get what you say. Another problem is that FC has many unsatisfied customers that CONTINUE to use their service. These people complain about how they have been 'fooled by FC into paying for a game they don't deliver on'. It's more like those people are just ignorant about what paying for the game provides them as a service. I'm not really referring to threats of legal action. That goes beyond silly.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jan 26th, 2013 at 02:43:26.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

  15. #135
    {removed}

    I'll answer that one for myself, not a lot...
    I don't play any other games anymore, AO has been my single game since Microsoft shut down the Mechwarrier Mercenaries servers.
    No matter what, I'd be sorry to see Anarchy go...
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 26th, 2013 at 04:42:07.
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    I'll answer that one for myself, not a lot...
    I don't play any other games anymore, AO has been my single game since Microsoft shut down the Mechwarrier Mercenaries servers.
    No matter what, I'd be sorry to see Anarchy go...
    See you on MW Online when it goes live? Better than continuing to play Call of Banality: Modern Borefare until the next crappy title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    I get what you say. Another problem is that FC has many unsatisfied customers that CONTINUE to use their service. These people complain about how they have been 'fooled by FC into paying for a game they don't deliver on'. It's more like those people are just ignorant about what paying for the game provides them as a service. I'm not really referring to threats of legal action. That goes beyond silly.
    Well, it's not all black and white. In a corporate world, you cannot divide customers by simply saying: "those people pay, they are happy" and "those people don't pay, they aren't happy". There are too many shades of gray in between.

    However, let's simplify it.

    People who do not pay to play the game are less likely to cause an uproar. They like the game and they play it as long as it's there. If it dies off, there is no (immediate, monetary) harm done. In no way I'm saying they don't like the game as much as those who pay to play; my guess is - they're just casual players trying something new. And in some cases (Picsel) - hanging onto the free-to-play program as hard as possible.

    People who do pay to play have invested time and money into their characters. Fighting over Tara, Pande and all the other things some may take for granted. This is a virtual world, but it was paid for with very real "earthly" currencies.

    One of the traits of MMORPGs is immersion. The better it gets, the harder it is to leave the world. The amount of uproar of even the slightest possibility of the death of AO means that players truly enjoy the game. They might not consider them to be role-players, but we are immersed so deep that the death of our characters (even a slow one, as "predicted") would hurt us a lot.

    Players don't complain about FC and use their sevice because they have nothing else to do... Players are trying to keep this godforsaken thing alive.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    I get what you say. Another problem is that FC has many unsatisfied customers that CONTINUE to use their service. These people complain about how they have been 'fooled by FC into paying for a game they don't deliver on'. It's more like those people are just ignorant about what paying for the game provides them as a service. I'm not really referring to threats of legal action. That goes beyond silly.
    Sorry, my last reply quickly turned into a rant. However, there are some things known as "fraudulent marketing". Many expectations are way overdue, but I'm not going there...

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Seems odd to me to move from cheaper Canada to North Carolina - I would have expected the reverse migration....

    With the AO codebase being what it is, I suspect Macrosun, at the least, has great job security.

    Funcom is also closing it's Bejing studio. So both of the 'cheaper' locations seem to be going away.
    Not anymore, the US cost less now, the recession in the US caused the salaries to go down.

    More and more manufacturers are closing in Canada to move to the south of the US.

  20. #140
    Ugh...
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

    And way too many alts...

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •