Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balance ?

SL broke AO really. it's game mechanics were never really terribly good, but pre-SL they worked well enough. SL pushed them past that point and showed up their inherent weaknesses, and nothing has ever been done to sort that (in fact, the matter has just been made worse).

I don't think tinkering around the edges is going to sort that. I'm also not sure we'll get everything that is really needed, though hopefully we'll get enough to get us back to only "a bit broken". Time will tell I guess.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    As a long term player, with a lot experience i tend do dissagre. From my vast experience of all pvp ranges, I am more then sure that PERKS did messed up balance.

It started very simple: we give you (insert proffesion here) THIS, and to counter THISD, we give you (insert another proffesion) THAT.
    I can see that logic, however I would say that perks were put into game with pvm in mind. SL wasn't too bad. Even AI on the surface wasn't too bad. It's when the pvp aspect was looked at more with LE research/procs that things went crazy. Massive amounts of AAO added on top of massively defensive toons. Then an arms race with new items every patch/instance created a growing monster. Without serious nerfs across multiple profs there is only 1 other way to go, serious boosts to the lagging profs to bring parity.

I don't think any 1 toon should be able to solo LoTV, but if 2 or 3 can then they ALL should be able to with some form of extreme build. I also don't think you can look at pvp as a start point for balance. Every proff should be measured against pvm encounters offense and defense wise, once some benchmark is determined everything else will fall into place. If there is a cap on offense and defense totals player power can be monitored and regulated to prevent out of control scenerios.

Example just a quick thought. Profs could be categorized in tiers.

Tier 1 offense cap 3k AR
    Tier 2 offense cap 2.8k AR
    Tier 3 offense cap 2.5k AR

Defensive similar 3k/2.8/2.5

Healing tiers and CC tiers also need to be counted.

With no prof having tier 1 stats for multiple categories it gives more parity to the base toons. Of course nanos or perks that affect those should be counted like DoF would allow Fixers to cap 3k defense, however that cap also would have a reserve for countering debuffs. So if pre cap a fixer had 3.5k defense and they were then drained 400 leaving 3.1k they would still cap at 3k. (I hope that made sense.)

There might be specific builds that allow a prof to bypass their cap like a tier 3 offense having a tier 2 build, but that should require a specific sacrifice or tradeoff to some other portion of the toolset or build like dropping defense from 2 to 3.

The problem I see is that a few profs currently are allowed to be tier 1 in multiple categories and this is what allows 2-3man raid teams. Think shades/crats as defensive and offensive dynamos.
    Last edited by Psikie; Feb 19th, 2013 at 19:21:45.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunktion View Post
    Before the init buff I could solo libra on my soldier quite easily
    Everyone can solo Libra cause the poor thing has 6m range.
    But yea, crats can solo all the zods and tnh.

This tier thing your talking about Psikie, it still looks like it would mess traders up a lot because they would be tier 1 for offensive, defensive, and CC 7s in the fight.

Assuming later on we still have our stuff, they should not beef our stats up. They need to lower the amount of dmg players do, healing with some of them being percent based, and lower the abuse of CC. 3 people waiting in line to freak str a soldier while a mp (i saw one in bs im not kidding you) debuffs is not idea for crowd control.

Gief global cooldown fur perks.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Quote Originally Posted by Lackofgravy View Post
    Everyone can solo Libra cause the poor thing has 6m range.
    But yea, crats can solo all the zods and tnh.

This tier thing your talking about Psikie, it still looks like it would mess traders up a lot because they would be tier 1 for offensive, defensive, and CC 7s in the fight.

Assuming later on we still have our stuff, they should not beef our stats up. They need to lower the amount of dmg players do, healing with some of them being percent based, and lower the abuse of CC. 3 people waiting in line to freak str a soldier while a mp (i saw one in bs im not kidding you) debuffs is not idea for crowd control.

Gief global cooldown fur perks.
    Traders are an odd case...I look at traders as ranged shades honestly. With drains/transfers/procs/perks they may start at tier 1 but fully buff up to tier 3.

Look at my tier system as a very simplistic rock-paper-scissors base approach.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

good idea, right now there are many professions that are totaly unhinged in many tiers. Take crat, tier 1 def, dd, capable AS, cc. Only downside is lack of healing.

Global cooldown for perks would be nice, but that would greatly favour healing professions like doc, advy. Imagine if perks had a global cooldown of 10 seconds. Docs would never die 1 on 1.

Caped AR and caped defenses are a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Less crat hate, more op adv plx

WhyCantWe "Belp" BeFriends
    Hate "Belph" Shade
    "Belph0" Mk2
    Care "Calming" Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashford View Post
    I think your cute <3

One of the problems is that AO has changed hands of leadership so many times that there are probably 3-5 different visions of what balance is. Before any real progress can be made figuring out what the long term ramifications will be.

I think some of the changes and band aids that have been very short sighted...

Like AS pistol, Mongo Rage, and stuns can be seriously game breaking in pvp. While crat debuffs seriously break pvm. Docs unlimited healing...im sure given time a doc could solo beast.
    Last edited by Psikie; Feb 20th, 2013 at 00:02:32.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Belph View Post
    Less crat hate, more op adv plx
    My main is crat, so i started with that. That being said, I also have advy and advies are most broken. Totaly useless in pvm and totaly OP in pvp.
    Infact advy shows best what is wrong with current pvm, pvp balance.

Good performance in pvm is about being good at your profession. Good in pvp is being good at pvp tools, that is not geting alphaed and dishing out caped AS. That is what really ruins things.

Pvm should be balanced so all professions are useful, pvp should be changed to resemble pvm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12