Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- February 26th 2013

Honestly I would love to have whompas and grid points in every zone. Would be sooo convienant. Would also be super awesome to have whompas into beast lair or gauntlet 3rd floor and collector too.

There are better things to be upset about like rebalance and new engine.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    They "fixed" it because it was done in error, or oversight. You will notice GLOBAL research was still reset. PERSONAL research should not have been reset. Not having whompas or player cities dotting the landscape was planned not a mistake or oversight.

So yea sorry kinda big difference there try again.
    The only official communication that FC ever put out re the reset of global research when people first noticed it on testlive was that "it was intended" so not sure how you can classify that as "done in error or oversight". You're the one that may want to "try again", as you put it so succinctly. The only "oversight" they may have made was they thought the playerbase wouldn't care so much about the reset which was proven incorrect by the many posts on that thread about it, which is the same as people posting on this thread about the removal of city whompas so no, there's no difference

And whats this about global research still being reset? Global research for LE huds being reset was what everyone was complaining about and FC finally fixed it in the end. The only thing that ended up being reset was research on mechs/apts which if you notice no one was really complaining about so it does look like they took the feedback on board and acted accordingly
    Last edited by cybertron; Mar 12th, 2013 at 00:00:14.
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

removal of cities was a good choice. I went allover PW today with little more than a jetpack and willingness to blow the xp out of borgs. In return I got xp and an experience of venturing far far far from comforts of borealis. Good job.

Research? Omni side is researching them fast enough, should give us atleast something to do in pvm.

Overall good job dev team. Now make teams want undesirable professions like... Advy, fixer, trader, mp, engi, agent, 207 nano tech. Plenty of people on lft but nobody likes these on team in my experience.

I like new director Joel, he speaks of engine wich many people want, but more important he spoke of making existing content playable with system changes.

12man hides compared to Merc camp raid. Imagine all them RK raids recieving an overhaul, RK weapons getting their QL300 xan upgraded variants.

Ao has way to much unused content. And its unused becouse it is useless. Tweaking of old weapons would be a major benefit to all.

Example Caterwaul vs perennium sniper. Why cant it be made comparable, so people can pick a good looking rifle instead of pointy dildo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    The only "oversight" they may have made was they thought the playerbase wouldn't care so much about the reset
    You do realize the outrage from players was due to playability of toons designed around those items. If you honestly think it's the same thing as not having whompas in the middle of the desert as far as toon playability you might need to re-evaluate your priorities.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Edit the garbage out of the database is step one. Look at inferno mish all that comes from it is pure garbage. Why can't halen drop ql250-ql300 miys armors? Get rid of the garbage loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgesmith View Post
    Example Caterwaul vs perennium sniper. Why cant it be made comparable, so people can pick a good looking rifle instead of pointy dildo.
    One is froob friendly, the other is not because that is for subscribers.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

You do realize the outrage from players was due to playability of toons designed around those items. If you honestly think it's the same thing as not having whompas in the middle of the desert as far as toon playability you might need to re-evaluate your priorities.
    Actually, I haven't stated my position on the whole whompas in middle of desert desirability or how it relates to the playability of my toon. I'm actually quite neutral on it, but I can see how it could affect other people's enjoyment of the game negatively.

I just jumped into this thread because you were the one banging on about how FC had made a decision and won't listen to any feedback "regardless how much you QQ", and I was just pointing out how you were cackling about the same thing in the other thread about resetting global research, and eventually FC did decide to listen and change their initial decision, after which I didn't see you saying much about it. So yes, FC does sometimes listen to feedback.

What you have to realise is that everyone plays the game different ways, and while you may not care about the disappearance of city whompas or how it affects their in game experience, others do and will speak up about it because they're not happy with it. No one is asking for a whompa to beast lair like you intimated, they're just asking for replacement of the functionality which many have enjoyed for years, similar to how people were outraged with the removal of global research for LE huds when everyone's been using for years.

Fine, you're prioritising the rebalance and new engine over it, that's your prerogative.* If you want, go and QQ about that all you want. Some other players are unhappy with the city whompas disappearing so let them give feedback to FC about it. Who are you to tell others what their priorities in game are?* You play the game your way, let them play their way. Personally, I don't care about the rebalance and I hope it never happens, but I don't go around to the rebalance threads and tell people they're numpties for prioritising the rebalance over something else.
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    Actually, I haven't stated my position on the whole whompas in middle of desert desirability or how it relates to the playability of my toon. I'm actually quite neutral on it, but I can see how it could affect other people's enjoyment of the game negatively.

I just jumped into this thread because you were the one banging on about how FC had made a decision and won't listen to any feedback "regardless how much you QQ"
    {Venachar: Please do not call other users trolls when they have given you a very polite and human response - which, to my eyes, included their opinion - above}

Part of feeling an accomplishment is the level of difficulty involved. Basis psychology 101 there, however if making things in AO easier is the goal of the thread, I am strongly opposed to it. I would prefer some level of effort be put kept in the game. You disagree that's fine, but historically most QQ threads are ignored if you like I can dig up links from forums moderators to gm's and developers that say just that. There are far more constructive ways to discuss issues in AO.
    Last edited by Venachar; Mar 13th, 2013 at 08:53:28.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

So you don't have or won't state your opinion on the subject, but comment on someone elses opinion on the subject....classy. You are a troll.

Part of feeling an accomplishment is the level of difficulty involved. Basis psychology 101 there, however if making things in AO easier is the goal of the thread, I am strongly opposed to it. I would prefer some level of effort be put kept in the game. You disagree that's fine, but historically most QQ threads are ignored if you like I can dig up links from forums moderators to gm's and developers that say just that. There are far more constructive ways to discuss issues in AO.
    yea i know... you get a real sense of "ACCOMPLISHMENT" spending more time travelling to and from a mish, than actually doin the mish because travelling is so difficult lol.

twinking is time consuming, and sometimes difficult, but it's what makes ao so fun.
    travelling is now time consuming, that's not increasing the fun, it's just adding another time sync to a game that has enough of them already.
    †IC XC†
    †NI KA†

Littlepistol 200/30/52 MP
    Idontknowu 220/30/70 MP
    Kurratica 150/20/22 Crat

“Political language ...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” -George Orwell

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

I disagree. Plopping into yalm and turning autorun gives me time alt tab and watch some youtube videos which makes travelling a lot more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    I disagree. Plopping into yalm and turning autorun gives me time alt tab and watch some youtube videos which makes travelling a lot more fun
    thnx for making my point, more time to not play the game.
    I wanna play, not troll youtube to kill time because i got two zones to cross.
    †IC XC†
    †NI KA†

Littlepistol 200/30/52 MP
    Idontknowu 220/30/70 MP
    Kurratica 150/20/22 Crat

“Political language ...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” -George Orwell

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Unwieldy solution but I often used this anyway - roll an engineer on an alt, dual log and then warp yourself wherever you please.

How do you get your engi to the destination for warping? Seems an unnecessary step.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    thnx for making my point, more time to not play the game.
    I wanna play, not troll youtube to kill time because i got two zones to cross.
    Spend the time playing the game then there's always something you can change, look at, compare, swap out, read up on in the 30 seconds it takes to fly across a zone.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/12/wo...king-pandaria/ see - even the WoW makers agree that more oldschool stuff is good.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Mar 13th, 2013 at 11:46:53.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/12/wo...king-pandaria/ see - even the WoW makers agree that more oldschool stuff is good.
    Oldschool stuff can be good. I skimmed the article you linked so not sure if it was covered there, but Blizzard devs have stated in the recent past that they don't care much for players being able to fly everywhere as they are missing out on the exploration piece (and I guess danger factor mentioned in the article you linked). That being said, Mists of Panderia is set up such that players cannot fly in MoP until they have reached max level, thus forcing players to experience the game in a way similar to what the devs intended.

I agree with this concept but I'm not sure if there is a direct relationship between what WoW is doing and the removal of the AI city whompah transportation option. You can still yalm up and fly through (thus missing) zones to get to your destination. Maybe someone is stopping to kill a dyna they wouldn't have along the way but I would doubt that a significant portion of the playerbase is using this change as an opportunity to explore, on foot, the environment of Rubi'ka. As such, its just an inconvenience rather than a 'return to oldschool AO' feature or attempt.

If AO devs want people to get back to the basics of Rubi'ka then they need to make the experience more enticing via experience gain and up to date loot rewards from the wildlife you'll encounter. As it stands now, paid players don't have a heck of a lot of reasons to bother with most of Rubi'ka and forcing them to travel through it won't change the irrelevance of the content.

That being said, I don't really care too much about the change one way or the other. I have Rubi'ka recall beacons so I won't be inconvenienced and at least 7 my toons are part of the 5 profs that can just meep themselves using their profession toolset.
    Last edited by Eventsbyjill; Mar 13th, 2013 at 12:13:41.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    oldschool for wow isnt even on AO-devs "things i want to dream about"-list :P
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

@Jill I agree that things need to be updated on the old zones front. Currently there isn't much sense to them and the vast majority are full of lvl 80 mobs max.

That said, I wouldn't want the modern take on it where mobs cover every squaremeter of ground possible. The more sparse nature of mobs and concentration around landmarks is something that makes it all seem a little nicer.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Due fast leveling habit, which pested AO after SL, outzones at Rubi-Ka are just eyecandy (atleast for me) places without need to travel to. It's been said many, many times that they could use "look into", and some suggestions made in last years vere good: One of my favorite was to increase XP for regular mobs (outluding borgs) and add team quests for certain zones based on /kill 10 certain mobs types. Adding to that, kiteing Borgs also is destroing fell of the game. 2 years ago, when I couldnt not play my accaunts I made free one and started to play, doing everything from scratch: till level 60, so TOTW stuff, it was great, then I barely had something to do except daily, because everything regarding leveling was focused around borgs (I remember 1 team mission in 1 week or so).

So, either Devs will see what this game is about and will focus on experience for new players and those who actually like it, or will focus on old-dogs and will bring all insta: grid for everyone, remove all zones except Borealis and Athens and Omni-Ent, insta level by picking up garbage in Bore (why do Missions if u can get it by one click?!) and remove all, just leave /itemstore and paid phatz there, because - as many say here - playing this game is waste of time.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Something else I was thinking about..

I always loved Rubi'ka. I've stated before, some of my fonder memories are of getting run down by wildlife on the way to a mission entrance or simply getting lost and having to figure out how to get back to civilization. The first time I flew over a swamp hag, got warped on my MP and insta-killed is still one of the funniest and amazing things back when I was just starting out.

Funcom put in some daily missions that required us to go out and kill stuff on Rubi'ka. The only issue I found with some of them is that they weren't level appropriate. Even with a twinked pve char (very twinked) I was having difficulty killing some of the mobs assigned to me (granted I was at the lowest end of the level range for that daily in WW) and ended up parking my toon by a whompah and killing the mobs with a dual logged 220.

Again, the key here is making Rubi'ka relevant again. Even hunting for dynas, for some professions, isn't needed as you can level past them fairly quickly and just use your DB nanos instead (or similarly only farm the very top end nano and skip all of the prior versions). Why waste time farming Art of Peace when in a week or so you'll be able to cast Art of War, for example. This really applies to a lot of the dyna-only nanos. The amount of time it would take you to farm is, quite often, significantly greater than the amount of time it would take you to level out of the nano. The effort vs reward balance simply isn't set up properly.
    Last edited by Eventsbyjill; Mar 13th, 2013 at 13:24:27.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eventsbyjill View Post
    Something else I was thinking about..

I always loved Rubi'ka. I've stated before, some of my fonder memories are of getting run down by wildlife on the way to a mission entrance or simply getting lost and having to figure out how to get back to civilization. The first time I flew over a swamp hag, got warped on my MP and insta-killed is still one of the funniest and amazing things back when I was just starting out.
    This is the sort of feel for AO that has kept me in game for 10+ years. Traveling on foot to the oasis and remembering the long run to rhino cockpit, navigating by ot and clan aggro guards just to get inside. Then being on edge for those damn spiders that seemed to pop out of nowhere on top of your team! (to this day I always stop and kill spiders when I see them regardeless if they are grey or not) The lifebleeders at pipe that were relentless in chasing you down everytime you were close to ding. Or the first time ever seeing an eremite pop up on me almost made me jump out of my chair. The black death panthers that gaurded all around 20k on the way to a virusbuilder camp. The many trips to reclaim when your team took on hellhound mobs in rk missions.

Those are the memories that most new players never get a chance to have, which is a shame because RK is what can really build attachment to AO.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast