Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- February 26th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hunni View Post
    Also, from his interview - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-New-Role.html - I'm concerned about this snippet:

Joel Bylos: Game Directors on Anarchy Online have been talking about the new engine for years. With progress looking really good, my goal is for this year to see the release of the new engine. Bundled with the new engine will be a new player experience, to encourage people trying the game for the first time to give it more of a chance.

So, for those of us who've been waiting for years for the engine that is always elusively located around the corner in the next quarter... I don't see it and can't find it in me to have any faith in the "goal".

One in a series of my jaded/grumpy/vinegar/frustration/PMS/FUncom rants.

He is just giving us "standard corporate good news", the EXACT SAME THING all previous GD's have done before him.
    We will have a few more posts this year about the "soonness" of the thing and by the end of the year a long period of silence to keep the undecided undecided. Next year will be time for much explaining of another delay and 1 or 2 quickly made endgame instances to keep the farmers busy.
    The year after that will see a new GD to restart the cycle. I hope you find a better paid and more rewarding job by then Mister GD and thank you for your effort in advance.
    Last edited by Gimpynoob; Mar 15th, 2013 at 11:56:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpynoob View Post
    He is just giving us "standard corporate good news", the EXACT SAME THING all previous GD's have done before him.
    We will have a few more posts this year about the "soonness" of the thing and by the end of the year a long period of silence to keep the undecided undecided. Next year will be time for much explaining of another delay and 1 or 2 quickly made endgame instances to keep the farmers busy.
    The year after that will see a new GD to restart the cycle. I hope you find a better paid and more rewarding job by then Mister GD and thank you for your effort in advance.
    I think you're disregarding that the current AO devs have been chipping away at and advancing the engine. How far and what has been done? I have no clue (excluding the odd videos and images being posted) but it has been stated that they've been slaving away at it. I believe it will be out this year sometime just as a prestige thing. As for the updating of the resources to make the game look even better... well that's a whole other ballpark. That will probably be done by several artists from the new composite group. I wonder is the artist Adamse (spelling?) still with Funcom? He was introduced but haven't heard anything since the intro.
    Last edited by FarCry; Mar 15th, 2013 at 13:16:27. Reason: I speaketh teh engrish.

Quote Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
    I think you're disregarding that the current AO devs have been chipping away at and advancing the engine. How far and what has been done? I have no clue (excluding the odd videos and images being posted) but it has been stated that they've been slaving away at it. I believe it will be out this year sometime just as a prestige thing. As for the updating of the resources to make the game look even better... well that's a whole other ballpark. That will probably be done by several artists from the new composite group. I wonder is the artist Adamse (spelling?) still with Funcom? He was introduced but haven't heard anything since the intro.
    AFAIK the AO devs "have been chipping away at and advancing the engine" since before it was first announced.
    You can believe what you want. Me? I am "a man of little faith", I will believe when I see it done.
    The engine and many other changes and improvements have been promised and not delivered many many times before. Believing that it will be done this year when the team is proportionately smaller and busy with 2 other projects at the same time seems...

Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpynoob View Post
    AFAIK the AO devs "have been chipping away at and advancing the engine" since before it was first announced.
    You can believe what you want. Me? I am "a man of little faith", I will believe when I see it done.
    The engine and many other changes and improvements have been promised and not delivered many many times before. Believing that it will be done this year when the team is proportionately smaller and busy with 2 other projects at the same time seems...

Never mind.
    Don't get me wrong, I totally understand your skepticism. I just think that this time around it will be better. Call me an optimist. I think the days of FWM are over.

Call me naive but when Lindelu took over I actually believed that the engine would see the light of day in her time. And, despite my better judgement, when she left and Illalyia took over things (I know he was Lindelu's boss to start but..) I truly believed that he intended to see the engine project through and get it released.

The new guy may very well intend to finally make good on the promises made by the past what, 4 game directors before him? But as my mom always says.. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

With Funcom, there simply is no telling what will happen with them structurally between now and the end of the year. Look at how many things have delayed engine progress/release that were completely out of the hands of the folks working directly for Anarchy Online.

Let's be real, they can't even tell us how many char slots we're going to get and the server merge has come and gone. Something isn't right with Funcom's business model that they've allowed the AO team to have such significant issues in the departments of customer service and public relations in general. I'm not all warm and fuzzy about whatever is coming down the pipeline, we've heard all of the excuses before.. several times over the past 5 years.

I remain hopeful that one day the promises will come to light but, like Gimpynoob stated, I'm at the point now where I'll only believe it.. when I see it. (And even then.. Means gave us that video that Illalyia came back a year later and stated wasn't actually a video from the working client so... maybe I should say I'll believe it when I'm being prompted to redownload the client.)
    Last edited by Eventsbyjill; Mar 15th, 2013 at 20:10:42.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

Just to put the whole New Engine/Coming Soon thing into perspective. There are children in this world attending SCHOOL that were not BORN when the new engine was announced. There is no acceptable excuse for this.

....just sayin'

(Bitter? Jaded? Me??? Nah)
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventsbyjill View Post
    *snip*
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    snip
    I totally sympathize but if I'm not mistaken the continuation of the engine will involve staff that worked on a new fork of the new engine for TSW. Once the consolidation has occurred of Funcom and its MMOs in NC there will be more people with serious experience and support to speed up the process of finalizing the engine (not that the current staff doesn't have the know-how, I'm just saying that there will be more people). I'm sure some veteran players grumpy or not with more insight can correct me if I'm wrong. Although I hasten to add that it has been explained to us on numerous occasions this will not automatically make AO look great. Resources such as high-res textures, models, animations and the list goes on has to be dealt with too.

After all is said and done and the NPE has been release I can only hope that they continue supporting new players in the sense that they create an alternative to Nascene Wildlife > Nascene Heckler (w/NT&OST) > Elysium Hecklers (w/NT&OST) > Inferno route. Now before I get flamed for this I didn't say that they should remove kite hill or anything like that... maybe just throw in a few more missions here and there that point the utter newbie to some fun and perhaps a reward or two while exploring.

(Off topic: I personally abused kite hill to hell back in the day. We use to be two NTs, one pulling South from Sunken Temple and me from JC every 10 mins and dual kiting next to each other and finishing under the same crat perk. We did level 9 research on our characters at kite hill on numerous occasions. Some people do it a lot faster but we use to have 205+ characters with level 9s done in 7 or so days depending on time and if kite hill was empty. So what I'm saying is don't cancel kite hill just introduce some missions so new players can enjoy the experiene of SL unless they want to do kite hill too.)
    Last edited by FarCry; Mar 15th, 2013 at 20:52:25. Reason: Removed names and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventsbyjill View Post
    With Funcom, there simply is no telling what will happen with them structurally between now and the end of the year. Look at how many things have delayed engine progress/release that were completely out of the hands of the folks working directly for Anarchy Online.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Just to put the whole New Engine/Coming Soon thing into perspective. There are children in this world attending SCHOOL that were not BORN when the new engine was announced. There is no acceptable excuse for this.

....just sayin'

(Bitter? Jaded? Me??? Nah)
    +2 However...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

The only thing I would ask anyone is if the mystical new engine is the reason they are playing now, years after it was announced. Would I like to see it, absolutely, but I refuse to stress over something totally out of my control. It would make absolutely zero difference to me playing AO tonight or tomorow.

By now the reputation of missed deadlines is as a part of AO as much as Leets are the unofficial mascots.

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.
    or
    Expect the worst but hope for the best.

I fail to understand how anyone can expect anything from FC and get upset when it doesn't happen. Given their track record you should expect any announcements not to happen. Except server down times hahaha.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I think getting notum wars more active is a good idea. Make an interface for it. It would make more people interested about being involved in orgs, teamwork and pvp. This would also drive orgs to help newbs learn the game and become better. It would just be more fun.
    OMNI-TEK

Speaking of interfaces, what I think they should be doing is adding functionality to the client so we don't have to rely on 3rd party software so much. For example, clicksaver is pretty much essential for finding the mission rewards you want. Why, after almost 12 years, is that functionality still not part of the game's mission terminal interface ? That would have helped the game far more than any server merge.

Why haven't the !is and !alt chatbot commands been added to the various /org functions in the client?

How can any sane dev think these will do less to keep returning players than wiping buddylists and renaming characters to "A355494545"?

To put it in perspective, the engine was announced 7 years ago. Most high-end entirely new games have been developed in a year, maybe one and half. Add maybe a half year if they don't license another engine.

But yeah, the engine is *totally* coming this year. Pinky promise!

Most new highend games aren't made by 1-2 people though
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

yes i have been playing partly in hope the new engine might go live someday, its not a deal breaker though if it doesnt come out i wont be remotely suprised i live in hope though

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Most new highend games aren't made by 1-2 people though
    Exactly. However keep in mind that this is only the engine we're talking about, not an entire game. Actually, scratch that, it's not even making an engine. It's taking an already existing engine and implementing that in an already existing game.

And there are 1-2 people working on this according to you. So apparently, Funcom thinks that that should be enough to implement an engine within a year (every plan was 'this year) or Funcom simply doesn't care to hire more people and set accurate timeframes. In either case, booyah.

I don't understand what you're getting at or what it's relevance is
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

First, ill stop using words that begin with F and B even with ****, maybe this time my post wont be deleted.
    Now i ask again: Does anybody care about that engine? You all keep playing this game because of that promise engine and not because of the content of the game? You think if that engine will come live tomorrow the new server will start to fill with new players?
    Dont you think that all of this engine talking is just a marketing move from FC to keep us busy.
    I play this game since 2007 and i still like it, I like the story and all the stuff and i really dont care that much about some pixels on my screen.We should all stop talking that much about the engine and focus more on forcing the FC's hand to improve the content of the game. That will bring more players in the game not just a few fancy pixels on the screen.

Well, I think there should be a new way:

1st: Publish the new Engine. ( The old one is very old )
    2nd: Push the News in the Press
    3rd: Improve the Content of the game !

Well I am talking this cause I am one of the players who played the game after the beginning. Well, I don 't play this game since a few years cause the Engine is not like AoC, the Secret World or anything like that. Sure, the Story is one of the best in mmorpg 's, but it is time to get Anarchy Online a better look. Well than I think I will came back to Anarchy Online. So the dev - Team of AO should at 1st publishg the new Engine. It Is time to do that, and many people are waiting to see it. SINCE 7 YEARS !

Regards
    Psy

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I don't understand what you're getting at or what it's relevance is
    He's saying that if your argument has any basis, then they were idiots to expect it would work.

There could have been many reasons but my guess would be to string along players to keep up the revenue. There is no way in hell that people (AO GDs, Producers, Devs, Marketing etc) would go out and promise the same thing so many times with so many different deadlines for no good reason. You simply can't blame this on incompetence of project management or internal resource management. This was all about keeping up appearance until Funcom management finally decided to throw AO a bone (and that bone came in the form of a TSW semi-failure and consolidation of the company to NC).

And in the end it worked right? AO is still here and hopefully the future will be so bright that everyone has to wear shades in-game.
    Last edited by FarCry; Mar 18th, 2013 at 09:57:36. Reason: Correcten zee Engrish.

I fear engine is overated. Imagine we get new engine tomorrow? What would change? How would daily life change for us current subscibers? Discuss.

For me Id still do the same things for same ammount of fun, yet with better graphics. Like watching an old movie on a new projector. Same old same old, only now in 3D. What needs to improve is gameplay.

How can you explain to a newbie that it will take a better part of a year to be effective in pvp? How? By default we loose all pvp players becouse of epic unfairness of current pvp mechanics.

And pvm? Despite epic population improvement. Problems are the same, if you play an "unwanted" profession you do not get team. Balance is needed.

Blood and guts of game plox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast