Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- February 26th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Despite my lack of hands-on experience with Anarchy Online, I do believe I will be able to bring something new to the game. Having worked extensively on both Age of Conan and The Secret World, I like to think I have a firm understanding of what does and doesn’t work, and for a game that’s been around for over ten years, I think having someone come in with fresh ideas and a new perspective can do the game good in the long run.

From there, the plan is get into a more regular update cycle. We might have to alternate updates between systems and content, but eventually we should be in a smoother update cycle.
    I think a fresh perspective is always nice, but the wording of this worries me a little bit. Please, do not try to make AO more WoW-like in content releases (where every 6 months a new wave of content comes out that makes all previous tiers completely obsolete). Anyone who likes that model is already playing WoW instead of AO. You won't win over players by trying to compete with WoW's model; instead, just stick to what has made AO have one of the most loyal fanbases of any MMO. The game is obviously in need of updates, but please just make sure that updates don't render old content useless or lower levels pointless.

Also, thanks for all of your work, Ilaliya. Sad to see you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    I see you have a video about grass today. But, didn't we have a finished video about grass delivered to us by Means and Co, in AO over 4 years ago? I want to know how this managed to go from old news to new news.
    Sadly, I can't remember where and by who it was said, but it was a dev talking about that a short while ago. That grass video was, basically, a "tech demo" which was hand crafted to work only there and then, for the purpose of recording that video in a "this, for example, could be made possible" manner.

The current video, however, suposedly shows the actual, universal implementation of how grass now works everywhere.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Three things:
    1) Lain is back to forumz
    2) D: I'll miss you Ilaliya
    3) Welcome new guy :3 I feel sorry for u xD
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Thanks Dave,
    So yeah...

Finally, my personal goal is getting a better handle on Anarchy and everything contained therein. I'll start playing through the game and trying to experience as much as possible while providing commentary on the design side of Anarchy. Expect to see my weird blog entries showing up on the Anarchy community site soon!

Anarchy Online has been in the lives of hundreds of thousands of players for more than a decade. I am excited to finally be a part of it.
    Cheers,
    Joel Bylos
    Creative Director
    Funcom
    Here's some advice I give to all newbies to AO ...: "Stay Neutral until you have learnt the basics, and join an org" <--- I recommend The House of Black Star

Welcome to Anarchy Online
    President, The House of Black Star

Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Thats very rude you guys didnt give us any time to prepare ourselves for server merge. I have characters on both servers and if character limit isnt high enough ill just loose items and money that were on those characters i wont make playable. Money and items id transfer if i knew the merge was coming ... Thats really horrible beginning of a new GD. Would it be possible to make characters back to inactive status via petition system once we transfer items from them if you insist on those "suprises"?
    This is a valid question .... please allow some method to de-active emptied toons.

Otherwise we have to activate the toons we won't keep first in order to transfer stuff off and then will have to delete these toons to bring on the ones we want.

Eliminating them forever, no chance to get them back later with more character slots ...

Kinnik

Failure to mention profession rebalancing was probably not the greatest move to start, but as you said, you're new.

The only thing keeping a lot of players even visiting the forums (not paying, not logging in) is the hope that the rebalance will actually show up and make the game fun for them again. A lot of prep work went into that from what we could see, and there were a lot of promises made and busted by the developers over the last few years. Shelving the rebalance entirely would basically equate to shelving the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    This is a valid question .... please allow some method to de-active emptied toons.

Otherwise we have to activate the toons we won't keep first in order to transfer stuff off and then will have to delete these toons to bring on the ones we want.

Eliminating them forever, no chance to get them back later with more character slots ...

Kinnik
    you can petition to have toons undeleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    Failure to mention profession rebalancing was probably not the greatest move to start, but as you said, you're new.

The only thing keeping a lot of players even visiting the forums (not paying, not logging in) is the hope that the rebalance will actually show up and make the game fun for them again. A lot of prep work went into that from what we could see, and there were a lot of promises made and busted by the developers over the last few years. Shelving the rebalance entirely would basically equate to shelving the game.
    Even more so since so many changes were already made in preparation for those detailed rebalance plans.
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    The number of free slots is determined by the number of hamsters that live through the migration process.
    lol'd
    R.I.P Mafia1337. You were to young to be knocking on Heavens door.

Zolic
    Infizicator
    WillItSmash

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    The number of free slots is determined by the number of hamsters that live through the migration process.
    Nah, for the server migration hamster(s) have been upgrade (?) to lemmings.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post

I have to agree with Dancingrage. I can say there are at least 4 professions that need the rebalance, as soon as possible.
    Not mentioning rebalance makes all our lil MP comunity rages to hell and things get hairy

In meanwhile, we are in a state where we have no idea of what is really comming, because it turned into something bigger in the course and because every information is 2~3 years old.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink

Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with

Quote Originally Posted by Veev View Post
    I think a fresh perspective is always nice, but the wording of this worries me a little bit. Please, do not try to make AO more WoW-like in content releases (where every 6 months a new wave of content comes out that makes all previous tiers completely obsolete). Anyone who likes that model is already playing WoW instead of AO. You won't win over players by trying to compete with WoW's model; instead, just stick to what has made AO have one of the most loyal fanbases of any MMO. The game is obviously in need of updates, but please just make sure that updates don't render old content useless or lower levels pointless.
    Bump. Goes for many others things also than just gear. Many of the other titles have been dumping down difficulty for years. Atm it seems to be (finally) starting to backfire - many of the people leaving those games are the ones bored with the lack of challenge. Not everyone want super easy content, or linear progression. Some new gear every now and then is ok, but "new set every 3 months" not so much so. Instead give us more opportunities to use existing gear!

Don't try to turn AO into WoW. You'd just upset most of the existing playerbase. And you don't have the resources to compete. Try to attract people with some patience, love for the scifi theme. People that want some challenge.

Do make the learning curve easier. Have better guidance, better money making oppurtinities, better startup experience for new players. But don't turn this into wow-clone.

if you can, get AO to follow TSW's Subscription model (ie. completely free + dlc's + itemstore). AO is a game that thrives when servers are flooded with people. ain't gonna happen with monthly sub.

on a more serious note, as a previous GD once remarked on, looking into AO's code for too long may result in recurring nightmares and uncontrollable eye spasms. be careful
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Thats very rude you guys didnt give us any time to prepare ourselves for server merge. I have characters on both servers and if character limit isnt high enough ill just loose items and money that were on those characters i wont make playable. Money and items id transfer if i knew the merge was coming ... Thats really horrible beginning of a new GD. Would it be possible to make characters back to inactive status via petition system once we transfer items from them if you insist on those "suprises"?
    I guess you could always activate a toon you'd normally not, and put everything on it on an alt on another account, then log out and delete it to free up another space for character-activation. Not a good way to do it, but a way.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post

Kinnik
    Iirc, FC mentioned, couple of months ago, that all merged toons will be available, but deactivated.

You will be able, at first, to activate toons up to the existing limit of eight. So if you have 6 toons on RK1, and 4 on RK2, you will be able to activate 2 from RK2, till FC adds some slots, based on, as they said, the fact you are a sloob or not.

No need to go too alarmed thus.

I myself only have 1 slot free on RK1, and have 3 toons on RK2 (did a preliminary cleanup of my RK2 account some time ago).
    220 opi RK1 keeper § 220 opi RK1 Doc § 220 opi RK2 Fixer
    Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling View Post
    We usually call it WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rerolll View Post
    Well...when a momma envy and a daddy envy love each other very much...well...ask your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    I have to agree with Dancingrage. I can say there are at least 4 professions that need the rebalance, as soon as possible.
    Not mentioning rebalance makes all our lil MP comunity rages to hell and things get hairy

In meanwhile, we are in a state where we have no idea of what is really comming, because it turned into something bigger in the course and because every information is 2~3 years old.
    More like the big four (doc,crat, enfo, sold) need nerfed into oblivion while the others are buffed to a current standard.

Here is an interesting experiment for our new GD search the chat records if logs exist for the neutnet bots that were used for everything on rimor. Search for the following terms "need" "looking" along with each profession go back a year at least from the bots LFG channel. I'll tell you what will be found the big four and nothing else. If you find need agent or need mp then the servers have gone corrupt and hell has frozen over and the rapture has begun.

Fantastic video! I can definitely see where the engine would still be in beta (The lighting effects were "catching up" to where the player was), But otherwise its amazing how some simple modern lighting, water and grass can make this dinosaur look amazing.

Also, welcome to the team Nusquam! We don't bite. Much.

You have quite a challenge ahead of yourself, and since your going to be managing all three games, I suggest doing what Arguru said and to understand Anarchy Online, just play it until level 100. No cheats, no inside help, just jump in and play. The community is one of the most helpful communities I've ever seen in an MMO, so you should in theory be able to figure out everything you need to know just by asking around in game. Otherwise, i'm glad to see your not dancing around the topic and just pushing straight forward with the merge and the engine.

And finally, its sad to see you go Ilaliya, you were a really awesome producer. Always around the forums answering any questions players had here or there, and you always tried to tell us as much as possible without withholding any info. I hope your future endeavors are fruitful, and stay classy

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    More like the big four (doc,crat, enfo, sold) need nerfed into oblivion while the others are buffed to a current standard.

Here is an interesting experiment for our new GD search the chat records if logs exist for the neutnet bots that were used for everything on rimor. Search for the following terms "need" "looking" along with each profession go back a year at least from the bots LFG channel. I'll tell you what will be found the big four and nothing else. If you find need agent or need mp then the servers have gone corrupt and hell has frozen over and the rapture has begun.
    HEI! I was looked for several informants. And once asked to log out enf to mp for s42 xD

Hullo, fresh meat! If you are going to play go Neutral and stay Neutral! It's a challeng but fun!
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    HEI! I was looked for several informants. And once asked to log out enf to mp for s42 xD
    they didn't want you they just wanted your meatballs!

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast