Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- February 26th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    But new players won't have those problems Windguard.
    YES THEY WILL! Windguaerd sends his custom prefs to them all the time, because they're better.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    YES THEY WILL! Windguaerd sends his custom prefs to them all the time, because they're better.
    Really? I didn't know that. Most people who sharing their setup are twink (mainly PvP'ers). I do know players who are very good at twinking and I've learn some from them, but not enough to say "here, have my setup, it's uber".

Too much blasta in Masta?
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fontane View Post
    That means my shade won't look like he's constantly opening backpacks?
    You mean opening invisible doors?

Let's hope they won't remove backstab animation. :P
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    You mean opening invisible doors?

Let's hope they won't remove backstab animation. :P
    hy, we need your mad skills with bots! call Racs
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

Cleric "Jpreston" Firstclass - Bureaucrat Squad Commander of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by equilibrium View Post
    WoW..
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    All my shortcut bars, gone. Names of backpacks, gone.
    Hey Wind, your old orgmate here.
    I can swear to everyone, it took just few minutes each toon for me to restore all the setups, and I mean all, from windows to backpacks' slot position in inventory/bank, from shortcut bars to chat font size, and so on. -Everything-. The only thing I could not retrieve was backpacks name, since I didn't want to lose time with AOIS (which I didn't use anyway).
    To accomplish that, I just had to copy and paste files from one folder to another, after I found out correlations between old char IDs and new ID numbers. This was the key I suppose: in my case, that took just few seconds because I had already written down my toons' ID before the merge.
    But even if that didn't happen, it's not that hard to find out which old ID relates to a certain character, unless you have dozens of toons in each account (i.e. files' "last modified" date and/or length of ID number - shorter for older toons - can help somehow).
    I was surprised that so many ppl had trouble recovering all their configurations, since in my case it has been immediate and I found out myself with exactly the same layout, keys, commands, windows size/positions as I left before merge (though I lost all friendlist entries of course, and all missions were deleted).
    I'd be glad to help of course, so everyone feel free to ask if needed (in a different thread maybe), as I already wrote in game right after the merge.
    Last edited by Agamundos; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 05:16:28.

Yeah redoing GUI-setups turned out to be much easier than I thought.

1. Log onto your character at least once after merge. This has to be done for the new ID-folder for that char to be created in the new appdata folder.

2. If you don't know the old ID's of your characters, open up the chat-log (found in the chat-folder in each characters old ID-folder) into notepad and see from the chat log which folder belongs to which character. This takes like 30 seconds per character.

3. Once you have identified what character an ID-folder belongs to, copy the contents of that folder (meaning, just drag a square around all subfolders and files and hit ctrl+c).

4. Open the new ID-folder for the same character in the new appdata location and paste the contents into that ID-folder.

That's it. This process takes a couple of minutes per character. The ONLY time-consuming part is identifying what character each folder belongs to, but looking at the chat-window-log in the chat-folder makes this easy.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Exactly. And don't forget to copy *.xml files from old Prefs folder to the new Prefs folder, AND login.cfg, prefs.xml files from each old "accountname" folder to the new one. Those files contain useful informations too (just overwrite the default files).
    Last edited by Agamundos; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 05:29:50.

There is no reason whatsoever to force players to practically re-do their characters which have taken years to set up.
    Yeah because it's not painfully obvious at all to people who know their way around a computer to figure out what to copy where.

Not only that, there's also not a single piece of information on where to move your prefs floating around anywhere on these very forums.

But, you already know how impossible preserving your prefs is since you know everything, so you don't need to look for other people's help anyway. Right? Right.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 07:28:39.
    Because Race Yalm

Even with merge there is still no incentive for teamplay, except farmstuff.

That is because the game has ended up as a 'incohesive experience of several seperate grinds', which happens when expansion after expansions just get slapped carelessly into the game.

Veterans is playing new content and team-phatfarming with twinked charracters, and new ones got no-one to play with and is not experienced nor geared.

don't get me started on the dual-logging...:x

Quote Originally Posted by Solaar View Post
    @New Producer: Here's something for you to think about:

Which game's more successful: The one that outlived its short hype phase already, or the one that's running for 12 years almost and still has a very active community?
    Just if you're looking for a hint about what to prioritize...

P.S.: Start playing the game.
    - Finish at least one 220 char fully on your own. Only support allowed is an org which is not Funcom's. No GM help whatsoever. No telling who you are.
    - Then create a PvP Twink, same support rule applies.
    Then, only then, a producer for AO you can be. Before that, you're just another clueless manager, i hate to say.

</rant>
    2nd! He maybe be done in 2016 with that I think.
    Last edited by leetlover; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 11:46:38.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fontane View Post
    That means my shade won't look like he's constantly opening backpacks?
    AO has like one (1) animation for all perks and one (1) for executing any of all the nanoprograms.

Door opening, car steering, ball throwing, praying.

That's 4 perk animations off the top of my head.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Much less now, that I log in after the merge, to see all my characters unplayable. All my shortcut bars, gone. Names of backpacks, gone. Windows sizes and positions, gone. Channel configuration, gone.
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...2&postcount=21

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    Door opening, car steering, ball throwing, praying.

That's 4 perk animations off the top of my head.
    Headbutt

Can you fix the hamsters please? I thought the "new" server would be an improved one that would allow players from both dimensions to play. Instead, you just copied one onto another and called it "merge".....only took few years too.
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

Server downtime threads remain open in Tech Help and Life on Rubi-Ka. Please keep the chatter about it there, no need to put it in this thread also.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by MajorOutage View Post
    Yeah because it's not painfully obvious at all to people who know their way around a computer to figure out what to copy where.

Not only that, there's also not a single piece of information on where to move your prefs floating around anywhere on these very forums.

But, you already know how impossible preserving your prefs is since you know everything, so you don't need to look for other people's help anyway. Right? Right.
    I expected to log in and play.... not log in and work on 29 of my characters to get them to how they were before merge. I play the game to have fun, not to work.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

So why do you need 29 characters? I've been having fun for more than 10 years with just one played regularly.

But I'm curious. Do you log those 29 all at once? Can you not play AO for more than 5 minutes at a time without loggin to a different character? I don't get it.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I've been having fun for more than 10 years with just one played regularly.
    I've been

I
    There's your problem. Stop being so self-absorbed. "Hey if it works for me it works for everyone!" "Hey, if I have no problem with this nobody should have a problem with it!" You are not representative for the entire AO community, far from it.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast