Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Character Slots

too many posts in the forums will make me melt...once every two years will do me
    NT's are Gods. No really we are. What are you lot laughing at???

Level 220 Clan NT. Proud member of JVC

My equipment

I only had characters on RK2, so the number of character slots above 8 doesn't have much of an effect on me. However, I do feel bad for anyone that had both RK1 and RK2 characters.

What I think would be fair is to give everyone who had a paid subscription before the merge either 16 slots, or the number of combined slots they had filled for RK1/RK2.

Then new paid subscriptions would get the regular 8 slots plus whatever the amount extra for paid subscribers is going to be. Of course, if the combined RK1/RK2 slots for the before merge paid subcriptions is less than the number given for new paid subscriptions, the before merge paid subscriptions would get the higher number.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    If you have any other questions, they will be answered on this thread.

When you log onto live, you will see you have 8 active active character slots. We have a new character slot system on the backend, with the intention of giving out some number of free additional slots to subscribers.
    Would it be possible to be told the MINIMUM number of extra slots on a paid account please? I'm afraid to activate any characters from my RK1 account incase I get them locked with no way out...
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    Would it be possible to be told the MINIMUM number of extra slots on a paid account please? I'm afraid to activate any characters from my RK1 account incase I get them locked with no way out...
    I hate to say it but I doubt it. Funcom is in shambles unfortunately right now. For example Ilaliya is no longer the producer or at least very soon. At this point I can't blame he for not giving 2 ****s or wanting to make that choice.

Now Joel has never played AO from the sounds of it so we don't know if he is waiting and learning to make an educated choice or he just does not care and understand how important it is.
    Last edited by Kane-Hart; Mar 3rd, 2013 at 21:35:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane-Hart View Post
    I hate to say it but I doubt it. Funcom is in shambles unfortunately right now. For example Ilaliya is no longer the producer or at least very soon. At this point I can't blame he for not giving 2 ****s or wanting to make that choice.

Now Joel has never played AO from the sounds of it so we don't know if he is waiting and learning to make an educated choice or he just does not care and understand how important it is.
    I would imagine the coding is already completed - as they said it was part of this update (although a bit later to implement). If thats the case, then the base coding is already done.

I really don't see what the issue is letting folks know now whats on the table - unless it isn't ready and more decisions are pending.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I had a dream this morning that we'll be given 9 extra account slots. I hope that is not just +1 for a grandtotal of 9. Who knows.

But let's do some thinking.

Mr. Joel, should someone forward this to you, this is how I would decide.

#1 New account slots were promised. So I as creative director must deliver new account slots, to people who effectievly lost out, several claim to have now 8+ inactive chars, some of these will be greatly pissed.

#Pros:
    -More slots more activity
    -more low level activity
    -more value for players money
    -more options for fun characters
    -less pissed costumer base
    -more reasons to play and pay an account

#Cons:
    -fewer multi account users
    -fewer sales of character slots

Let's examine the cons. Pepople multi account to gain new slots? Very few in my experience most do it to gain ability to dual or multilog. (Buffs, actual gameplay etc)

Fewer sales of character slots, this one is the real issue. And so is angry playerbase.

There are really many options how to sort it, what number to pick. There are many funny ones.

#1 every time you buy a yearly subscription you get extra account slot
    #2 give some at aniversiary
    #3 give some right away as promised
    #4 sell unlimited ammounts

So Mr. Joel what would be wisest? 4 extra account slots right away. Why 4? Many want 8, so they will still buy some, 1, 2 and 3 were promised when it was said "few", so 4 is the first number when you can say you went above what was promised. Also leaves a lot of room for selling and giving them away as special events.

What happens if you give people unlimited account slots? For start you can advertise ultimate sandboxness. But you loose ability to sell more account slots so this option should be a poor choice.

Good numbers are also 6, so everyone can create 1 character of each profession, and 8 so everyone who played both dimensions can activate all 16 chars. #8 is bulletproof if you don't want angry playerbase.

Mr. Joel question then is wich one will you pick? 4 or 8?

There is hardly a wrong answer here, most important is choice is made soon, becouse even if you give out many later people are angry right now and instead of epic growth momentum there's uncertainty that new leadership listens to the playerbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Please do not forget about players that played on rk3 Die Neue Welt, had that problem before already.
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

I'm betting on 1 extra slot for paying subscribers, possibly 1 more from the vet booth, and several more available for cash.

Don't expect them to think about enabling those extra slots until they have ironed out all the merge glitches and have had some weeks of smooth sailing.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Character slots

I am one of those people that played both rk1 and rk2 I think a minumum of 4 extra slots and 8 extra slots if you want to keep everyone happy. I been paying since 2003 and would almost consider Quiting if i had to give up my toons i worked so hard on for such a long time. Having to choose 8 out of 16, Besides its bad enough that they combined anyways because for me I played as a Omni on rk1 and as a Clan on rk2 now im all jammed in one what a mess as it is and now your gonna make me disside what side to choose because of the 8 slots we have that sucks, stop waisting our time and make a choose and let us know because im afrade to unlock any char in fear of what might happen.

Oh by the way right on georgesmith im with you.

Also I will not be forced to create additional paid accounts to keep my chars I would prefer just to Quit and start playing something else.

I think the ability to buy character slots from the Vet booth is a truly excellent idea. It would be a good way to reward players who have been around a long time, and honestly, there's not much new these days in the vet booth anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrien View Post
    I think the ability to buy character slots from the Vet booth is a truly excellent idea. It would be a good way to reward players who have been around a long time, and honestly, there's not much new these days in the vet booth anyway.
    Only problem is that vet points are per char. On other hand they could be deducted from all characters, but probably it's too hard to do...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

So, if they were to say add extra char slots to the vet shop, what's from stopping me buying 1 extra slot, rolling a alt, taking it to vet shop, buying all the extra slots I can get, deleting the char, reroll it, and rinse & repeat until I've got a maxed out account ?

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

They can limit things pr. account I'd guess. But I'd be very, very surprised if account slots become a veteran point thing... like, so surprised that I'd probably quit.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I understand that there are plenty of kinks to be worked out. Lots of fires to put out due to the merge and lots of re-structuring all the way around. I'm sure it wasn't carved in stone, but FC had discussions about the additional character slots. There are many of us that are in limbo waiting to activate and/or delete toons in order to meet a limit.

Sure, you're a company and the consensus is that slots are going to be sold in some form or fashion to meet the bottom line. Please, give us an idea of how many slots a paying account can expect so we can move forward with OUR merge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    They can limit things pr. account I'd guess. But I'd be very, very surprised if account slots become a veteran point thing... like, so surprised that I'd probably quit.
    no you dont
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

The big question is that subscribers are already dedicated members of the community. We don't buy 2nd accounts because we need more character slots but rather so we can buff our main account and etc. Dual Log.

We are members who have bought the game who have supported funcom by giving them a monthly subscription and tbh we ask for so little in return and tbh we get very little in return.

With all do respect I hope Funcom does not alienate their dedicated and loyal members even more by slapping us in the face and charging us for more character slots.

With recent changes to the item mall it seems that they clearly are now on the last strings for AO and are trying to drain their players of what little cash they have left.

Don't do the same thing with character slots or at least to Premium members. EVERY Paid mmorpg I seen that offered free play as well as subscriber features would give more bank space, more character slots, etc. We get what Vet points? And we don't even or at least I think we don't even get a monthly Sum of the paid points...

I hope Funcom does not take this issue too lightly but also does not take their time. More and more people are getting upset and moody and who can blame them. Their missing at least 8 Character slots 16 counting the German server.

I think that allowing more characters per account is for many people reason to stay, because with full account you are loosing ability to built new specialized chars or twinks dedicated to particular purpose.
    And I suppose that for many people is building of these chars actually reason to play this game even if they went through the content repeatedly.
    So it helps attract old players to keep paying their accounts - ie. revenues for FC.

Paying multiple accounts for char slots is nonsense as other people say as this is almost exclusively done for duallog.

So there should be mutual benefit for both players and Funcom to have reasonably increased number of char slots per account.
    Unfortunately, as it is always, things that make sense are the least probable to come alive....
    Philty - main, engie, proud member of allmighty CzA
    Philtynurse - backup heal
    Philtysaurus - rising from the ashes

are we going to get an answer as we were told ?
    NT's are Gods. No really we are. What are you lot laughing at???

Level 220 Clan NT. Proud member of JVC

My equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Hey guys,

Blah, blah, link, link... If you have any other questions, they will be answered on this thread.

More blah, blah, blah...

I have been in discussions with Joel as part of the transition, and we are looking to increase character slots for subscribers shortly after the Migration goes through and we are satisfied we have dealt with any and all issues which may arise from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    soon™
    Just so you know, "shortly" is the new soon™. It arrives shortly after the new engine.
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast