Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Character Slots

Quote Originally Posted by EIS View Post
    /facepalm

So somebody who is paying this game for few months will get 12 slots and guys which quit game because you screw it ("soon", rebalance, engine etc.) and were many years veterans(some of them on more servers at once) and helped run this game during years will get only 10 slots ?

Seriously...this is insult.
    I totally agree.

This seems like a ploy to get folks to reactivate their accounts to not miss out on the extra 2 slots. And god knows how long it will be before the next patch actually occurs, so it could be months of extra cash flow to FC.

This reminds me of the "Merge before end of 2012" where many people reactivated only to find it didnt happen.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    I totally agree.

This seems like a ploy to get folks to reactivate their accounts to not miss out on the extra 2 slots. And god knows how long it will be before the next patch actually occurs, so it could be months of extra cash flow to FC.

This reminds me of the "Merge before end of 2012" where many people reactivated only to find it didnt happen.
    And this is bad why ? I really don't see the point in going in a ragefit over quite a valid teaser to entice people to keep subscribing. After all, no matter how it seems sometimes, they are running a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventsbyjill View Post
    Agree with this person 100%. I could write 10 walls of text on how I feel about this situation but I know it won't do any good so I'll just ask the questions on my mind to get clarification.. so I know how to proceed.

A few questions:

1. I don't want to resub all of my paid accounts right now because I'm still waiting on the New Engine and New Player Experience but I've paid for 2 accounts for 8 years and an additional third account for at least 7. Is there any loyalty consideration for that?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, if one account is subbed, will linked paid accounts receive the same number of slots? To be clear, if my main account is paid when 18.6.2 goes live will my linked paid, but inactive, accounts also receive 12 slots?

3. What is the price going to be for additional slots? Meaning if the answer to #2 is no, will it be cheaper for me to resub an account and pay for it for a month (even if I have no plans to play the accounts until the new engine/starter experience is released) than to later on, down the line, pay for 2 slots via the items shop? Specifically, will the cost of an additional character slot be more than $7.50 USD?
    Very good questions ... you must be an accountant or in finance or similar position ...

Unfortunately I doubt if FC has decided these numbers yet ... I believe Macrosun said the option to purchase more character slots would not be available right away.

So for $35 per account you are locked in for 2 extra character slots ... or you could chance it and pay $15 per account assuming the 18.6.2 patch is out in less than a month.

The other factor would be if you could drop an account if your others all had 12 slots vs 10.

My accounts are all active, so no issue for me except perhaps being able to reduce my accounts by one if the cost of transferring toons to consolidate accounts makes sense.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Very good questions ... you must be an accountant or in finance or similar position ...

Unfortunately I doubt if FC has decided these numbers yet ... I believe Macrosun said the option to purchase more character slots would not be available right away.

So for $35 per account you are locked in for 2 extra character slots ... or you could chance it and pay $15 per account assuming the 18.6.2 patch is out in less than a month.

The other factor would be if you could drop an account if your others all had 12 slots vs 10.

My accounts are all active, so no issue for me except perhaps being able to reduce my accounts by one if the cost of transferring toons to consolidate accounts makes sense.

Kinnik
    Good guess on the profession

But yes, you're hitting the nail on the head with the thought patterns behind my questions. We're talking about 4 extra slots (looking at 2 accounts) versus 8 extra slots. Eight extra slots would be enough for me to move a couple chars off of account #3 and just go with 2 accounts on a moving forward basis. So yeah, I'm trying to do the math to determine what makes the most sense.

Age of Conan's additional slots are 1200 Funcom points which roughly translates to $10USD. So ultimately, it probably wouldn't be financially reasonable to activate just to get 2 additional slots if I do not have any intentions of actively playing the game. Guess I just talked myself though that one :P

Does anyone know the price of the character transfer? When I went to the site I didn't even see the option (believe I read some thread that it was temporarily down).
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

Originally character transfer was same price as vet account. I looked at it once and ignored it afterwards cause i thought that was crazy pricing.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by smokex View Post
    Not archived means no backup was made so.. the forums were indeed deleted and the forum was also not backed up and thus is completely lost.

Unless it is on a web cache server somewhere out there in which case you may be able to rip the cached version using a site ripper. I don't know if there is a web cache for it though.
    In a good IT architecture, regular snapshots are maintained on daily basis by respective backup teams. I hope FC uses those mechanisms, don't they? If not, its high time to hire a competent IT architect and redo your infrastructure.
    MyNameIsCani 220 Trox Solja
    Canibaal 215 Trox Enf
    Canifix 215 Trox Fix
    Pureevul 220 Trox Shade
    Canikeep 220 Trox Keeper
    Deathreturns 220 Solitus Doc
    Alphadawg 164 Opifex Fixer
    CanIKillYou 150 Solitus Adv
    Canistrikes 80 Nano Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    Hi,

A decision has now been reached regarding the character slots, and I wanted to share the numbers with you. As always, the numbers are subject to change in case we run into unexpected issues.

• 8 character slots for 'froobs' (so no change)
    • 12 character slots for anyone with an active subscription when the patch containing the slot increase (18.6.2) reaches live.
    • 10 character slots for subscribers that were not active during the patch (new subscribers after the patch, or subscribers re-activating after the patch).

So basically, 10 character slots will be the new default for paying customers, and the 12 slots are meant as a kind of loyalty reward for those who have been subscribing during/after the merge.

At some point in the future, additional slots will be available for purchase either through the account pages or the in-game store. This ability to buy slots will however most likely not be launched at the same time as the slot increase.
    What will a currently-subbed SL-only account get then? Yeah I'm one of maybe 5 people that has one of those kicking about and this enquiring mind wants to know!

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

According to the post, if you're paying for a subscription, you get the slots. How many expansions you've bought (that is a one time payment and doesn't raise subscription costs) is beside the point.
    SmokeX 210/23 Neutral Opifex MA General of Spirit Walkers
    SmokeKillsU 81/3 Neutral Opifex Agent
    UraniumX 101/2 Neutral Nanomage NT
    BruteForceX 61 Neutral Opifex Fixer
    SmokingGunsX 43/2 Neutral Solitus Soldier
    SixOfNynex 42/2 Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    Jiroieyoshi 12/2 Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    EMHMarkX 32/2 Neutral Nanomage Doctor

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    /me removes foot from mouth

Will folks who resub during the 18.6.2 patch downtime be considered active when the servers come back up, thus getting 12 slots? You know folks're gonna try it.
    It depends at which point during the downtime.
    Once the servers are actually being patched it's too late.
    It's best to not gamble on it.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Why wait...?

Gone

Will (paid) char transfer be available after patch 18.6.2 ?
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

But Mom! The other kids gets to eat candy on Tuesdays!
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Giving 2 more slots to active subscribers isn't very smart nor fair move. It is going to make more ppl angry rather than happy. I think giving 4 slots to all subribers is far from unreasonable.

However to make it even more fair it should look something like this:

froob = 0 additional slots
    subscriber <6 paid months = 2 additional slots
    subscriber >6 ∧ <12 paid months = 3 additional slots
    subscriber >12 ∧ <18 paid months = 4 additional slots

...and so on until some limit, say 8 additional slots. This is not only more fair, but also make a lot more sense, because long time players are more likely to create more characters over the time.

Really, if you want to keep loyal customers, you should treat them as such.
    Last edited by Scotty; Mar 22nd, 2013 at 16:27:05.
    Kotty • Drush • Guzzler • Farminator

This game should be free already.

Quote Originally Posted by EIS View Post
    Seriously...this is insult.
    Agreed

Hmmm smarter than the avg bear....

http://forums.anarchyonline.com/show...15&postcount=4
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    winning in a lottery isn't a sign of intelligence.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Calling 2 slots a loyality reward after some had 8, others 16 slots removed sounds ... strange. A number closer to those would have been more reasonable.

Although that are just my 2 cents as I'm not affected by this at all.
    Last edited by Misat0; Mar 23rd, 2013 at 11:12:48.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

OK. Let's have a little look here at this latest 'genius' offer from those well-rounded folks over at Funcom.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    Hi,

A decision has now been reached regarding the character slots, and I wanted to share the numbers with you. As always, the numbers are subject to change in case we run into unexpected issues.

OK, this is good news - it's something a lot of people have been waiting to hear about. A Good start.

• 8 character slots for 'froobs' (so no change)

OK, the fr00bs have been left out, but, that was kind of expected anyway.

• 12 character slots for anyone with an active subscription when the patch containing the slot increase (18.6.2) reaches live.

Ooooo, excitement City, here we come. I've got a full account toons I don't wanna delete, and they give me FOUR MORE! Amazing. Well done, Funcom. This here is a winner - pure & simple. This will keep players currently subbing to sub even further; hell, it might even make them create new accounts.

• 10 character slots for subscribers that were not active during the patch (new subscribers after the patch, or subscribers re-activating after the patch).

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, ooooooooh dear. Just when my flagging faith in you had started to pick up I read this. Facepalm indeed. C'mon Funcom, pull your finger out ya arse, have a good read of the last bit, and tell us all what indeed is wrong with it. There will be many-a-vet that hasn't come back to the game due to the promises you have made, and then broken ( I'm not going to mention them, you already know, as does everyone else ), and were probably going to come back after Engine release - this last bit will seem like a slap in the face to those staying away - those that have paid for years, then got disillusioned and stopped ( again, your fault ). Where's the loyalty to them?
    Rethink this through. It stinks, and to be honest, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Now stand in the corner while we poke you with a big stick, and call you an assortment of names.
    Rubi-Ka is an ideal Planet for colonisation, but its Notum will make it dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. I fear for it. Unknown 28703AD

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Giving 2 more slots to active subscribers isn't very smart nor fair move. It is going to make more ppl angry rather than happy. I think giving 4 slots to all subribers is far from unreasonable.

However to make it even more fair it should look something like this:

froob = 0 additional slots
    subscriber <6 paid months = 2 additional slots
    subscriber >6 ∧ <12 paid months = 3 additional slots
    subscriber >12 ∧ <18 paid months = 4 additional slots

...and so on until some limit, say 8 additional slots. This is not only more fair, but also make a lot more sense, because long time players are more likely to create more characters over the time.

Really, if you want to keep loyal customers, you should treat them as such.
    Good post and the breakdown based on number of paid months is a really good idea.

The more I think about this, the more I think that their business decisions will impact my decisions to ever really play this game again. As customers, we can voice concerns and complain on the forums and 'hope' they care but the only real way to speak clearly to them is via our money (and how we choose to spend, or not spend it).
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast