Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Monthly (ahem) Development Update - April 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by deaconfrost View Post
    edvvin.

You completely rule the world. You are flat out awesome. One of the best posts i have ever read on here or anywhere , ever.

Thank you!! <3

please let me know if you ever need anything ingame. Hit me up on any of my toons
    +1
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...3&postcount=47
    Items #1 and #4

I'm not sure if that means that the whole Phasefront platform in Newland Lake will be gone. If so, will Toni Akseli be moved somewhere else (Westerlund Loungemaster, preorder item, Hover Chair)? Or will the Hover Chair be available in the Item Store's Claim tab, same as other preorder or order bonus items?

Arise, Sir Edvvin.

What a wonderful, emotional, heartfelt, warming, sincere, and achingly-honest post by you, Edvvin. This post probably sums up what most of the players of this game really feel about it.

Everyone behind the scenes should read it. Put yourselves in this guys shoes. Feel his pain, respect his feelings, and deliver ( Although, having said that, it seems you're all beavering away in the background ).

+10 internetz to you, Sir Edvvin.
    Rubi-Ka is an ideal Planet for colonisation, but its Notum will make it dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. I fear for it. Unknown 28703AD

Edvvin

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconfrost View Post
    Edvvin.

You completely rule the world. You are flat out awesome. One of the best posts I have ever read on here or anywhere , ever.

Thank you!! <3

Please let me know if you ever need anything ingame. Hit me up on any of my toons
    Same here.
    Tiralee, Tirasiand, Tirasea, Tirasenne, Tirasette, Tirasennte, Telzey

+1 from me also for Edvvin.

It was 11 years and 6 months ago when I first logged into AO. Nanomage Melee Adventurer, totally gimped... But it was a great time, seeing all these people in Newland City every day. Or the Neutral starter zone (a.k.a. Neutral Backyard)... I was there for 2 weeks. This place felt damn huge and it's still my favorite AO starter zone. But what really hooked me about AO was how it just threw you into the world. I felt lost and I had to learn everything from ground up, by myself. There are only 2 games which went into a similar direction. One is TSW, even if it shows some of it's mechanics in tutorial videos and everything, the other one is EVE Online. If AO threw you into into it's world, slapped you into the face and left you, EVE nearly kills you and leaves you to die in open space. Most other MMO's I've tried (especially WoW) were more... Let me say, starting in WoW felt like this and the following strips:
    http://www.goblinscomic.com/08212005/

AO felt like this (from the Goblin's POV):
    http://www.goblinscomic.com/10192010-2/

And this is the reason why AO hooked me for such a long time.

Btw, I wore an Evangeline Terigena Webcloak for 3 months or something, ever wondering how I could switch on this cool effect blueish skin. Then I found out: This cool armor is called grid armor and Adventurers can't wear it. But until today, I have an Evangeline Terigena Webcloak on my bank and all my EVE characters have Terigena as their surname.

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvin View Post
    (snip)
    As I skimmed through this thread, I saw that post and thought "nah, tldr".
    After that all I saw was people praising it. So I went back and read it.

Really great stuff, I have had a similar experience and I maintain a similar relationship with AO.

/signed
    Solweintraub - Engi - 220/30/70
    Byteflush... - Advy - 150/04/14

Quote Originally Posted by Edvvin View Post
    Don't let my game die. But don't completely transform it either. There has to be some kind of compromise with that as well. Don't wipe out key elements of the game that we've grown to love over the years. But don't leave things so outdated that the game dies out from old age, either. Keep the Veteran booth. Give us the worldwide city plots back. It's a novelty? Maybe. But it's part of what has made the game (see the beginning of the tale) for me and so many others. It's just what AO is.
    I really don't care about what mattered to you personally because it's going to be different for each person. The hook that grabs someone else is not going to be the same as your own, you can't grasp onto features for nostalgia's sake alone.

Like for example, I'd absolutely hate to see cities back. It completely ruins the scenery that is AO for me, and I love it so much better now than how it was, and bringing them back for a novelty just doesn't make much sense to me.

Sorry I didn't much care for the story, not trying to be offensive or anything.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; May 3rd, 2013 at 00:48:08.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Regarok View Post
    But what really hooked me about AO was how it just threw you into the world. I felt lost and I had to learn everything from ground up, by myself.
    Yeah, this.

On my first toon (agent) I used solar-powered rifle until level 50+ and didn't know how to as. when people saw me fighting with my hands against cultists (as a desperate measure from my part) they bought stuff to me and things.
    Last edited by leetlover; May 3rd, 2013 at 01:28:28.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    Like for example, I'd absolutely hate to see cities back. It completely ruins the scenery that is AO for me, and I love it so much better now than how it was, and bringing them back for a novelty just doesn't make much sense to me.
    While I do understand and respect your opinion, I don't understand how does the current situation make more sense than pre-merge with org cities? Paved streets and cleanly cut grass in the middle of nowhere? It may be a step in the right direction (not sure about that, but it may), however current status of RK is waaaaaay worse than pre-AI.

As you immerse yourself into the game exploring the wilderness far away from populated cities, you find remains of old Org cities that used to be there. You scratch your head wondering: "How come no-one told the groundskeeper that we have abandoned those cities?"
    Last edited by byteflush; May 3rd, 2013 at 02:18:20.
    Solweintraub - Engi - 220/30/70
    Byteflush... - Advy - 150/04/14

Quote Originally Posted by byteflush View Post
    While I do understand and respect your opinion, I don't understand how does the current situation make more sense than pre-merge with org cities? Paved streets and cleanly cut grass in the middle of nowhere? It may be a step in the right direction (not sure about that, but it may), however current status of RK is waaaaaay worse than pre-AI.

As you immerse yourself into the game exploring the wilderness far away from populated cities, you find remains of old Org cities that used to be there. You scratch your head wondering: "How come no-one told the groundskeeper that we have abandoned those cities?"
    Pretty sure they mentioned they'd be removing those at a later date.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTrion View Post
    What a wonderful, emotional, heartfelt, warming, sincere, and achingly-honest post by you, Edvvin. This post probably sums up what most of the players of this game really feel about it.

Everyone behind the scenes should read it. Put yourselves in this guys shoes. Feel his pain, respect his feelings, and deliver ( Although, having said that, it seems you're all beavering away in the background ).

+10 internetz to you, Sir Edvvin.
    +1, couldn't have expressed it better than Edvvin.

Edvvin +1

As others have mentioned, great post!

I honestly feel like this may have been the best post I have ever read. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    Pretty sure they mentioned they'd be removing those at a later date.
    I don't think they ever comfirmed what they were going to do with the empty plots after merge. There was talk of removing them completely but there was also talk of them being used again as outdoor cities again later. AFAIK, they never said what exactly was going to happen to them
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

Why would they ever care about prioritizing removing them considering the first priority is development of the game in the new engine.
    ♚ Hail To The King Baby. ♚

You would think that they have the old world on a hard drive somewhere.

If not, one of us old-timers could send an .iso of a pre-AI install disc

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    You would think that they have the old world on a hard drive somewhere.

If not, one of us old-timers could send an .iso of a pre-AI install disc
    I have SL, it's only 2 discs...

Where do I send that?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I have the original AO disc from 2001, let's start over.

@Edvvin - wonderful post ! Simply heartbreaking ...
    Read it people (the long one in page 5) and DON'T FORGET ...
    Operator : "Are we safe from russian hackers ?"
    Support : "Da"

restart !

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I have the original AO disc from 2001, let's start over.
    Actually I´m up for this ! Let´s have a chillin´ cool vanilla start
    "Having a real life makes you a really bad player"

When was the last CONTENT update done in AO? Wasn't it gauntlet instance? Seems like it happened ages ago. Is this normal behavior for a MMO?
    MyNameIsCani 220 Trox Solja
    Canibaal 215 Trox Enf
    Canifix 215 Trox Fix
    Pureevul 220 Trox Shade
    Canikeep 220 Trox Keeper
    Deathreturns 220 Solitus Doc
    Alphadawg 164 Opifex Fixer
    CanIKillYou 150 Solitus Adv
    Canistrikes 80 Nano Agent

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast