Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Monthly (ahem) Development Update - April 30th, 2013

Wow... 6 years and people still think the new engine is just for shinier GFX?

On second thought, maybe it has been that long since anyone saw how the game performs in a decently populated area.

There's a lot of tradeskilling in AO...some are done well with tradeable/sell able parts. some might need some tweaking.

chances of 17hrs Gauntlet spawn instance loot items be made tradeable with Varish Mob at the start of Pande when he's not in his spawn portal area yet? Beside tell us how many hours till he respawn..also give us option to trade 2-4 items for one of another item a person need. Gauntlet's been more farmage feel ...and with less people doing these days it seem...might end up like the old 18hrs Rubika Named boss mobs...that have been reduce to 9hrs spawn mobs...that no one hardly do..till they need the item.....anyways......gauntlets been more of a "Gone"let down ^_=
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Wow... 6 years and people still think the new engine is just for shinier GFX?

On second thought, maybe it has been that long since anyone saw how the game performs in a decently populated area.
    You don't even need a decently populated area, just go anywhere that's not a backyard. Dunno what kind of configuration people run, but I can say that I see pretty big dips on my machine, which isn't a weakling by any means, when running around in anywhere that's larger than a backyard. Borealis for instance I won't be getting 100 fps in, by far. Maybe 30?

What configuration am I running that's so gimp it can't handle AO at 100fps always? I dunno... a Core i5 3570k at 4.2ghz, 16gb 1866 ddr3, a Geforce 680 and AO on a SSD.. This eats everything at stabler frames than AO. Which is why I figure when people say they have 100fps they just look at their framerate in BY, because there's no way you won't be dipping way low just from running through OA or looking from one end to the other of that same zone.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    You don't even need a decently populated area, just go anywhere that's not a backyard. Dunno what kind of configuration people run, but I can say that I see pretty big dips on my machine, which isn't a weakling by any means, when running around in anywhere that's larger than a backyard. Borealis for instance I won't be getting 100 fps in, by far. Maybe 30?

What configuration am I running that's so gimp it can't handle AO at 100fps always? I dunno... a Core i5 3570k at 4.2ghz, 16gb 1866 ddr3, a Geforce 680 and AO on a SSD.. This eats everything at stabler frames than AO. Which is why I figure when people say they have 100fps they just look at their framerate in BY, because there's no way you won't be dipping way low just from running through OA or looking from one end to the other of that same zone.
    Phenom II x4 960T 3.8GHz
    6870HD
    8GB 1333 DDR3
    SSD

Still get FPS issues.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

amd cpu seems to cause most fps issues in AO

my athlon 64 x2 4400+ is somewhat above recommended specs, and yet AO works quite bad.

yus, im making assumptions from a sample group of 3 :P
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; May 23rd, 2013 at 15:06:26.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

I have had over the time spent playing AO 3 CPUs from Intel and AMD each, total of 6. Framerates have improved over time, but the difference is not as dramatic as you'd expect going from a 1.5ghz Pentium 4 to a 4.2ghz i5 10 years later. Not to mention the difference in power in gfx card. Especially considering that looking at OA from one corner of the zone will yield about 60FPS on current setup. It might've been 30 in 2001.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I remember doing Beast raids like 8 years ago or whatever with a million teams zerging the zone. It was playable. No problem.

Yesterday I did a beast run with 4 teams. i7 quadcore CPU, gtx 680 2gb, 8 gb 1600hz ram. I had 20-22 fps when we were just standing still and not fighting.

Interestingly, in the old days, I had a single core 3ghz and now I got quadcore 3ghz. I'm guessing AO doesn't take advantage of more than 1 core and the GPU hardly matters as much as it should. So technically, I'm using a very similar amount of "power" now as I did way back then.

And this is why a new engine would help out so much. It would allow my PC to get out of its straight jacket.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Played AO just fine in 2002 on an old PII 266 overclocked to 300 MHz an a Voodoo 2. Today its an Intel quad core with 3kish MHz and Nvidia 680 GTX and it struggles in Pande with 20ish fps.

i5 2500k
    8gb ddr3 1600
    HD7950
    AO on SanDisk Extreme SSD
    Windows on Vertex 3 SSD

100 fps in grid, 100 fps at bore grid, ran through bore, stayed around 70-80. Saw it dip to high 40s for a split second while loading players (ran through during Euro primetime), but that was as low as I saw it go, then it went right back up to 70-80. Sitting at OA grid looking towards hill, stable at 54-55 FPS.

Which simply brings up another issue with AO's graphics. Your system should be more powerful than mine, but FPS isn't consistent with the difference in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    Which simply brings up another issue with AO's graphics. Your system should be more powerful than mine, but FPS isn't consistent with the difference in power.
    AO doesnt really require that much power, remember it was designed to run on 486 machines/pentium 1 and still will actually.

The graphic cards you guys have will show a big pretty wide screen picture in lots of colors (memory) but the "hidden" stat you want for those fps is your rendering speed (direct draw) of the vid card. The memory is only applicable AFTER the zone has been drawn and loaded, it's the render speed that affects your fps when you run through a crowded zone.

In the past i've been able to get 140fps+ with wildlife/shadows/org names off.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    AO doesnt really require that much power, remember it was designed to run on 486 machines/pentium 1 and still will actually.

The graphic cards you guys have will show a big pretty wide screen picture in lots of colors (memory) but the "hidden" stat you want for those fps is your rendering speed (direct draw) of the vid card. The memory is only applicable AFTER the zone has been drawn and loaded, it's the render speed that affects your fps when you run through a crowded zone.

AO was not designed to run on 486 machines or Pentium 1s. It would run on healthily clocked Pentium 2s with highend videocards, or a Pentium 3 or similar specced AMD CPU of the time. It ran more or less fine on a Radeon 8500 with 64mb RAM at 1600x1200 in 2002, on a P4 1.5ghz. And by more or less fine I mean perfectly playable, without noticable framedrops.

AO's been capped at 100 fps since forever. Dunno if it was ever uncapped, but if it was it was before anyone could make it run that fast.

i5 2500k
    8gb ddr3 1600
    HD7950
    AO on SanDisk Extreme SSD
    Windows on Vertex 3 SSD

100 fps in grid, 100 fps at bore grid, ran through bore, stayed around 70-80. Saw it dip to high 40s for a split second while loading players (ran through during Euro primetime), but that was as low as I saw it go, then it went right back up to 70-80. Sitting at OA grid looking towards hill, stable at 54-55 FPS.

Standing now at OA grid, looking SW towards SL whompa, in 3rd person, with all settings maxed, 1600x1200 resolution, 8xCSAA and 16x AF from nvidia control panel. I get 55-57FPS. These forced image enhancements have hardly any impact on performance, as relogging with them off yields the exact same framerate.

Same deal as it's pretty much always been. Maybe perhaps with the exception of back when I had hardware from the times of AO etc..
    The Red Brotherhood

wat. Loading players (ie textures and such) will definitely affect FPS, as it will cause a slight stutter, even running from an SSD. Maybe it wouldn't be noticeable from a RAM Drive.

And are you trying to say that my 7950's render speed is the same as a video card from 2001?

Masta, did you try running through Bore? I'm curious if you really do drop to 30s or if it just feels that way. I know the high 40s I hit felt pretty choppy, it was very noticeable.

AO was not designed to run on 486 machines or Pentium 1s. It would run on healthily clocked Pentium 2s with highend videocards,
    Well I suppose the original box...which I have that has system reqs of 486 machine doesn't count? Or the fact that I actually have AO running on a 486 pc with win98.

I let my son play froob account on it, and it also runs a backup org bot for me. Performance I won't say is spectacular but it still runs.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by mawu View Post
    Played AO just fine in 2002 on an old PII 266 overclocked to 300 MHz an a Voodoo 2. Today its an Intel quad core with 3kish MHz and Nvidia 680 GTX and it struggles in Pande with 20ish fps.
    If the game currently doesn't utilize the GPU, I suspect it ignores multiple cores/processors as well.

Maybe it wouldn't be noticeable from a RAM Drive.
    It's still noticeable, but only ever so slightly.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

wat. Loading players (ie textures and such) will definitely affect FPS, as it will cause a slight stutter, even running from an SSD. Maybe it wouldn't be noticeable from a RAM Drive.

And are you trying to say that my 7950's render speed is the same as a video card from 2001?

Masta, did you try running through Bore? I'm curious if you really do drop to 30s or if it just feels that way. I know the high 40s I hit felt pretty choppy, it was very noticeable.
    Loading will cause stutter, even from a RAM drive. The difference in performance for such operations from an SSD to a SSD is minimal. I read a lot of benchmarks on the issue a while back, but there's very little performance gained by using a RAM drive in anything. Where they are superior is in sequential read/write, but they're too small for it to make any noticable difference to anything.
    However, strangely the biggest updates I saw in performance to the load-stutter was when I went from Win2k to XP and from XP to Vista. Vista to 7 had no change. But I recall catacomb doors in SL would totally lock up my PC during load once in a while on Win2k, whereas in XP it became more of a slight stutter, and nearly going away on Vista...

I didn't try running through Borealis yesterday, no. I can try when I get home today, and look at framerates. Will use same settings as above.
    The Red Brotherhood

Well I suppose the original box...which I have that has system reqs of 486 machine doesn't count? Or the fact that I actually have AO running on a 486 pc with win98.

I let my son play froob account on it, and it also runs a backup org bot for me. Performance I won't say is spectacular but it still runs.
    Umm just why do you still have nearly two decades old machine running AO? ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I'll refute that till you post clear evidence that says otherwise. For instance, what are the other specs of that PC? 486 covers a wide array of CPUs. The back of my AO box says Pentium 2 300mhz, 64mb RAM and an 8mb videocard as the minimum requirement. Which would fit perfectly with how we had trouble running it on OC'd Celeron 300a's with Voodoo 3's back in 2001... at minimum.

But, I have a Pentium 100 equipped PC, with 32mb EDO RAM, 4mb 2D gfx accellerator and 4mb Voodoo 3D graphics accellerator standing around. Now, it won't run on that, mainly because of the lack of a proper DirectX compatible 3D accellerator, but I figure I could acquire some old DirectX 7 compatible 3D accellerator for PCI. I won't bother though, because even with one, it wouldn't be able to run it. There's simply not enough performance to do anything with it.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 24th, 2013 at 11:12:24.
    The Red Brotherhood

Running on Win 98? Hmm.. doesn't AO require API that is available only in XP and later? It used to run just fine on Win98 before that change.
    Oldest PC I have run AO on was 800 MHz P3 with some Radeon PCI video. It was also working very well on linux in Wine. Even better than on Windows XP.
    Only problem back then was memory. Not only did this box have very little memory, it was also time when AO had some serious memory leak issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Umm just why do you still have nearly two decades old machine running AO? ;D
    Was my first pc and I never uninstalled it. I have a chatbot running on it primarily, it's not my current play computer. Was just saying that AO still loads and will play on it. I let my kid play a froob account on it sometimes.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast