Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Monthly (ahem) Development Update - April 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I have a Pentium 100 equipped PC, with 32mb EDO RAM, 4mb 2D gfx accellerator and 4mb Voodoo 3D graphics accellerator standing around. Now, it won't run on that, mainly because of the lack of a proper DirectX compatible 3D accellerator,
    Why would that matter? I seem to recall one of the devs saying Directx is only used for mouse & keyboard controls, and that the D3D component isn't used at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Why would that matter? I seem to recall one of the devs saying Directx is only used for mouse & keyboard controls, and that the D3D component isn't used at all.
    Why are people even talking about this? Redundant systems.

Pretty sure the Voodoo card does not support Direct3D rendering. But it's been 15 years since I had anything to do with that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Was my first pc and I never uninstalled it. I have a chatbot running on it primarily, it's not my current play computer. Was just saying that AO still loads and will play on it. I let my kid play a froob account on it sometimes.
    Specs for the machine and a video from your cellphone or whatever of it booting, starting up AO and playing it. Untill then, I'll just assume you're making this up. Running a bot, sure. Playing the game? Not a chance. But please, prove me wrong. I love seeing crazy things.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 25th, 2013 at 02:46:16.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I remember doing Beast raids like 8 years ago or whatever with a million teams zerging the zone. It was playable. No problem.

Yesterday I did a beast run with 4 teams. i7 quadcore CPU, gtx 680 2gb, 8 gb 1600hz ram. I had 20-22 fps when we were just standing still and not fighting.

Interestingly, in the old days, I had a single core 3ghz and now I got quadcore 3ghz. I'm guessing AO doesn't take advantage of more than 1 core and the GPU hardly matters as much as it should. So technically, I'm using a very similar amount of "power" now as I did way back then.

And this is why a new engine would help out so much. It would allow my PC to get out of its straight jacket.
    Leet form?

Iirc back in the days usage of the leet form (adv or veteran) was mandatory for pande raids because AO did not have to load and manage a lot of different textures and the leet form does not have many/as many polygons as a normal player. Also the particle systems are far from optimized so back in the days all visual effects where off in pande. People had scripts to turn that effects on/off especially for pvp and pande (including minimal view distance which makes the position where you check you framerate pointless except for the number of chars that are present there).

In "the old days" people where used to use a lot of workarounds which are forgotten today and try to bruteforce the problems with more Mhzbyte.

AO is a plant that has not been watered for 12 years. Assuming 10 liters (about 3 gallons) at once now will make it grow sweet fruits is just childish.
    Last edited by Garremp; May 27th, 2013 at 18:53:17.

I always wondered what kind of stoneage machines people were running to get any performance boost of meaning from the leet stuff. We used to troll it by morphing to dragons.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

80 polygons times 40 players are 1200 total (as a minimum, pande raids used to be much more crowded back then) opposed to 40 players and 120 polygons each are 4800 total (all rough estimates but no matter whats the exact number you get my point) and smaller IS better in that case. A rough difference of 75% matters. The first computer i played AO on was a celeron 466 mhz and either a voodoo 3 or a GeForce 2 Ti 400 MX (cant remember exactly). That is the kind of stoneage i am talking about. The dragon form might not be as "troll" as you would think because all that players using the same set of textures also helped AO because it always had been slow with hdd access and texture loading.

And you didn't see anyone with hardware like that playing in pande with that many players That kind of hardware was so ancient at the time that if you had it, you shouldn't have 120 people take it into consideration.

And sure it was, all the bot carebears were crying because they couldn't see anything.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 27th, 2013 at 21:57:51.
    The Red Brotherhood

I always thought the leet form was to make it easier to follow the tank, since he was usually the only one not in leet form.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I always thought the leet form was to make it easier to follow the tank, since he was usually the only one not in leet form.
    It's why I had raid forces leeted. The zerg had a terrible sense of direction.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Both things.

Also, when I started play AO, it was a Pentium II (I dont remember the vel) with onboard graphic card stealing max RAM (32MB) and 128-32MB RAM Beat my stoneage! (A friend of mine played on one AMD 486 possessed by evul spirits xD)
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Heh this reminds me, we got ao working on a imac (those built in screen-pc with fancy colors) with some windows emulator on it. It was my first meet with ao and loved it ever since

I dont remember the specs on it but it looked like this: http://wheremyheartresides.com/wp-co...s-1024x711.jpg
    You can't say civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

W.I.N.E. - W.I.N.E. is not an emulator. Also: Infinite recursion.
    SmokeX 210/23 Neutral Opifex MA General of Spirit Walkers
    SmokeKillsU 81/3 Neutral Opifex Agent
    UraniumX 101/2 Neutral Nanomage NT
    BruteForceX 61 Neutral Opifex Fixer
    SmokingGunsX 43/2 Neutral Solitus Soldier
    SixOfNynex 42/2 Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    Jiroieyoshi 12/2 Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    EMHMarkX 32/2 Neutral Nanomage Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    Both things.

Also, when I started play AO, it was a Pentium II (I dont remember the vel) with onboard graphic card stealing max RAM (32MB) and 128-32MB RAM Beat my stoneage! (A friend of mine played on one AMD 486 possessed by evul spirits xD)
    I played on an HP prebuilt from '97, using AOL 56k....until after AI came out. Loading between any zones took me upwards of 2 minutes each time.

I played on an HP prebuilt from '97, using AOL 56k....until after AI came out. Loading between any zones took me upwards of 2 minutes each time.
    Big deal, I play on a modified kinetoscope tied to a morse code telegraph line soldered together with gum wrappers, and bits of tin foil I collect from the ocean.
    ♚ Hail To The King Baby. ♚

Damn you...
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Garremp View Post
    80 polygons times 40 players are 1200 total (as a minimum, pande raids used to be much more crowded back then) opposed to 40 players and 120 polygons each are 4800 total (all rough estimates but no matter whats the exact number you get my point) and smaller IS better in that case. A rough difference of 75% matters. The first computer i played AO on was a celeron 466 mhz and either a voodoo 3 or a GeForce 2 Ti 400 MX (cant remember exactly). That is the kind of stoneage i am talking about. The dragon form might not be as "troll" as you would think because all that players using the same set of textures also helped AO because it always had been slow with hdd access and texture loading.
    Many a time after the advy minituarization nano was introduced, there was one winged "leet" with the leet pack... people would ask why I am a funny colour. Good times!
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vurtuoso View Post
    Big deal, I play on a modified kinetoscope tied to a morse code telegraph line soldered together with gum wrappers, and bits of tin foil I collect from the ocean.
    Daguerreotype or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Garremp View Post
    either a voodoo 3 or a GeForce 2 Ti 400 MX (cant remember exactly).
    ti 400 mx doesnt exsist. ti means "good one" and mx means "bad one" :/

but if character has, lets say, 9 textures loaded, 120 characters adds to 1080 which is quite lot even with AOs texture sizes.
    and to reduce door-lag you needed to play with uncompressed textures.
    so you had to choose if you wanted to use lots of memory or have massive doorlag in pande.
    i found that leeting made my loading times faster.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; May 30th, 2013 at 00:21:25.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Daguerreotype or it didn't happen.
    It's on its way via horseback, I tipped the rider 10 cents to moon you as well. Prepare yourself.
    ♚ Hail To The King Baby. ♚

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    ti 400 mx doesnt exsist. ti means "good one" and mx means "bad one" :/

but if character has, lets say, 9 textures loaded, 120 characters adds to 1080 which is quite lot even with AOs texture sizes.
    and to reduce door-lag you needed to play with uncompressed textures.
    so you had to choose if you wanted to use lots of memory or have massive doorlag in pande.
    i found that leeting made my loading times faster.
    1080 * 10kb is 10mb. That's not a lot of data.
    The Red Brotherhood

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast